The Last Homely Site on the Web

GRUB'S UP!!!1 Teh Cookery Guild

Post Reply   Page 5 of 79  [ 1563 posts ]
Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 779 »
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 Mar , 2005 4:28 am
Sharpe-sighted

bumping this thread - maybe to get it alive again?

And while I'm at it, I found a recipe while looking for something to do with the blackberries I put into the freezer last summer.
Quote:
The Blackberry Fool

500 g deep frozen Blackberries
200 ml cream
300 g curd
50 g sugar
250 g Amarettini cookies

thaw up the Blackberries, but not fully. Then mash them.
beat up the cream with the sugar
then stir the whipped cream slowly and carefully with the curd.
crumble the cookies

then take some dessert glasses, fill in the blackberries, the curd-cream and the cookie crumbs in layers.
If you need blackberries to do it, come over in late August / early September. Last year we had tons of them. :D

Oh, and Alandriel, why do you think it's hard to peel chestnuts?
Usually I take a knife, make a X into the peel and then lift of the hard peel with the knife. As I do this with 5 kilos of Maroni every december (we use them for the filling of the christmas goose and other geese), I'm quite fast in doing it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 Mar , 2005 4:55 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Sounds nice! But, what's curd and what are those cookies like?

I was wondering something the other day...how do you sautee something? Like mushrooms?

Anybody have a favorite dish they'd like to recommend (one that preferrably doesn't take a too long to fix ;)). I'm at a loss of what to cook for dinner tomorrow night. :P

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 Mar , 2005 9:23 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Don't worry. Now I'm here this thread will get bumped plenty. I use dried chestnuts obtainable from health food stores, a good staple for the store cupboard. They are handy in casseroles when I cook rabbit or pheasant. I tend to use prunes at the same time. I use them at Christmas to go with sprouts for those misgided people who actually enjoy the devil's bonsai cabbages. I use them chopped up in stuffings too. Now can the Europeans tell me how to use chestnut puree? I have a tin but don't quite know what to do with it.
Oh BTW, dried chestnuts need a good 24 hour soak and you still have to fiddle taking the brown inner skin out of the cracks after you have cooked them.

Profile Quote
Northerner
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 Mar , 2005 2:09 pm
Queen of the Tundra

Eruname- here's a pretty easy chicken recipe that's yummy.
Serve with angel hair pasta.

Chicken with Rosemary Sauce
2 tsp. olive oil
4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/2 c. chopped green onions
1/3 c. dry white wine
1 tsp. minced FRESH rosemary
1/2 c. chicken broth
1/3 c. whipping cream
2 tblsp chopped green onions (optional for garnish)

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to pan, cook 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Add 1/2 c. green onions, white wine, and rosemary, cook 30 seconds. Stir in broth, cook 2 minutes. Add cream, cook 2 minutes. Garnish with 2 tblsp. onions, if desired. Serve chicken and sauce over pasta. 4 servings, 480 calories

To saute, means to cook in oil or butter, over fairly high heat, so it cooks quickly. Mushrooms will soak up massive quantities of oil if you don't use high heat. Other veggies, medium high will do. Cut up zucchini is good this way, and throw in a few halved cherry tomatoes for added flavor. Sliced fennel is good, too, if you care for the flavor.

A late note on the dill sauce issue. We make a very simple mustard dill sauce, just sour cream, a good Grey Poupon type mustard to taste, and chopped dill to taste. Serve at room temperature.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 Mar , 2005 2:26 pm
Same as it ever was

Eruname wrote:
Sounds nice! But, what's curd and what are those cookies like?

I was wondering something the other day...how do you sautee something? Like mushrooms?

Anybody have a favorite dish they'd like to recommend (one that preferrably doesn't take a too long to fix ;)). I'm at a loss of what to cook for dinner tomorrow night. :P
Mushrooms are easy to saute. First, wipe any obvious dirt off the mushrooms, but if you must wash them, make sure they are dried off well, if they have water droplets on them, they will not saute properly.

Heat butter mixed with a bit of olive oil in a large saute pan until the butter foams (the oil helps keep the butter from burning) over medium high heat. How much butter/oil depends on how many mushrooms, I use about 3-4 T for 12 oz. mushrooms. Place your mushrooms in the pan, and spread them out so that they are in a single layer. ( I usually leave them whole, but seperate the caps from the stems. Really large ones you may wish to halve.) And, then leave them alone for a few minutes, do not stir, until the undersides get a nice deep golden brown. Then, flip them over to the other side, and do the same thing. After they are nicely browned, at this point add your salt and other seasonings - a splash of dry sherry, or fresh minced herbs -thyme is very nice, a squeeze of lemon, experiment with ones that you like and what goes with what you are serving them with.

The large pan and fairly high heat are critical, as is not stirring them, since otherwise, the liquid from the mushrooms will start seeping out, and you will not be sauteing at all, although the mushrooms will still taste just fine. If this does happen, you can turn up the heat, and watch carefully as the liquid evaporates, and you begin to hear a sizzle again.

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Mar , 2005 2:41 am
Sharpe-sighted

Eru... curd :scratch now.. that's the translation my dictionary offers for the german word QUARK.

you know as in .. milk.. yoghurt.. curd????
mind that curd is not the same as yoghurt, but very similar.

Clickety

And the Amarettini cookies are Italian ones. Made with Almonds.
See here I can send you some, if you like?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Mar , 2005 2:53 am
Same as it ever was

Areanor wrote:
Eru... curd :scratch now.. that's the translation my dictionary offers for the german word QUARK.

you know as in .. milk.. yoghurt.. curd????
mind that curd is not the same as yoghurt, but very similar.

Clickety

And the Amarettini cookies are Italian ones. Made with Almonds.
See here I can send you some, if you like?
Hi, Areanor!!

Mind if I join in? I love to cook, but am here in the US, so I hope we can figure out each others terms and measurements. :)

I think that what you called "curd" is here called dry cottage cheese, or you could just use our regular cottage cheese and strain any liquid off of it (whey). Does this sound about right? Much thicker that a cream or yogurt, not liquidy, more a soft solid?

I also will admit that here, chestnuts are only very seasonal, November to end of December, and that we here in the states do not usually make a whole lot of desserts with them, nor know how to prepare them well. We mostly use them in stuffings for poultry and things, or to make into tortes and things where we have the recipes from our grandmothers or such.

Anyway, help educate me, and I will be happy to return the favor!!

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Mar , 2005 3:12 am
Sharpe-sighted

Hi Watcher.
:wave:
join in whenever you like, education is always welcome here as we already found out that terms and measurements differ. And translation is a bit difficult for me as I never got to learn the english cooking vocabulary. It's not a thing they teach at school.

Yes, the cottage cheese thing sounds good. Soft and solid. Could be the same. :D
I use it mostly to go with cooked potatoes.
Quote:
Cook potatoes, peel them afterwards, while they're still hot.
Take the cottage cheese/curd, add chopped chives and - if you like - chopped garlic and pepper.
serve.
a light, cheap meal.

Or to make cakes, but that's a different chapter. :D

Same here with the chestnuts, I only use them for poultry filling. Or I buy them roasted on the christmas markets.

Tosh, with your chestnut puree... I'll ask some Italian friends of mine, but I remember they use them as dessert ingredient or to go with ... ***erm***(diving for the dictionary)*** roast venison???? such as wild boar or deer or hare/rabbit.

what would you prefer to get a recipe for?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Mar , 2005 4:35 am
Best friends forever

Someday, when my reign as Queen of the Universe has achieved the Perfection To Which We All Aspire, ALL COOKING will be metric.

vz: 20 grams, not 1 tbsp; 250 ml, not 1 cup.

It is SO MUCH easier. And I say that having been brought up with English measures, not even American.

Here is a killer recipe that will transform ordinary rather blah farmed salmon into a gourmet delight:

Use a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil and the foil lightly rubbed with olive oil:

1 largish fillet of skinless boneless salmon, about 2 pounds

6 cloves of garlic
1 bunch of parsley, leaves only
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes packed in oil
salt and pepper to taste

Put the garlic, the parsley, the sundried tomatoes and the salt and pepper in a food processor and process until quite finely chopped, but NOT pureed.

If it seems a bit dryish, add a dollop of Olive Oil.

Spread this over the salmon fillet and bake at 375 degrees F for about 25 minutes. NO MORE. You do not wish to overcook the fish, it should be only just done and that's it.

This is incredibly good. It's even better on Sockeye salmon if you are ever fortunate enough to get your grubby mitts on Sockeye. It's actually good on any salmon.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Mar , 2005 5:03 am
Sharpe-sighted

vison wrote:
Someday, when my reign as Queen of the Universe has achieved the Perfection To Which We All Aspire, ALL COOKING will be metric.

:bow: to da queen :D
Quote:

ermmm, that would be 62,5 ml???
Or do I just take a cup and fill it up o 1/4?
how big would that cup be?

(insert innocent look :whistle:)

What do you serve with that salmon?
Potatos? Rice? Pasta?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Mar , 2005 5:35 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Areanor Any ideas for chestnut puree, in recipes or just as general ideas. I am quite good at adapting.
Thanks.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 1:14 am
Best friends forever

Areanor wrote:
vison wrote:

:bow: to da queen :D
Quote:

ermmm, that would be 62,5 ml???
Or do I just take a cup and fill it up o 1/4?
how big would that cup be?

(insert innocent look :whistle:)

Potatos? Rice? Pasta?
A nice rice pilaf is great, or even Spanish rice. A Chinese salad, which I shall post the recipe for at some point. Or a Louisiana Sunburst Salad.

And it is about 62.5 grams of sundried tomatoes, etc. I use a quarter cup scoop, which is easy. More doesn't hurt, either.

This is REALLY good. It is my one surefire party dish that people beg for.

I used to do catering, and this dish never failed to disappear first.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 4:58 am

Thank you Northerner for the recipe and thank you Watcher for giving me a detailed description of sauteeing. It's just what I needed! :D

Gotta say I like my US measuring cups. They're just so darned easy to me!
areanor wrote:
Sometimes I do brown rice and some steamed courgette (zuchini) and squash or I might substitute roast potatoes for the rice or steamed asparagus for the courgette/squash. Steamed green beans also go well with it. Also a nice touch is to add some cooked shrimp to it. The flavors mix very nicely...especially with some dill sauce! :D

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 12:05 pm
Milk and kisses

Tosh, if the chestnut puree tin you have is the unsweetened variety, you could try dividing the contents in 2 and making these 2 recipes, one savoury, the other sweet:
Quote:
Chicken pockets

Half a tin of unsweetened chestnut puree
4 streaky bacon rashers, finely chopped
1 small onion (or half a large one), finely chopped
2 dates, chopped
A pinch of dried sage or mixed herbs
Salt and pepper
2 chicken breasts

Fry the onion and bacon in a little butter, adding the herbs. Scoop out of the frying pan, leaving the fat behind.
Mix the onion and bacon with the dates and chestnut puree; season to taste. It should be a sort of crumbly paste.
Slice the chicken breasts open along one side, to make a sort of "pocket" where the stuffing will go. Stuff the pockets with the chestnut mixture and skewer them closed with a cocktail stick.
Sautée the stuffed chicken breasts in the same frying pan where you cooked the onion and bacon, until both sides are attractively browned.
Then put them in a baking dish and bake in a medium oven for around 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked all the way through.
Remove the cocktail stick and serve. It's like a mini Christmas roast dinner! :D
Quote:
Meringues with chestnut cream

4 meringue nests (you can buy them ready-made)
30g caster sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
150 ml double cream
2 tbsp water
100g plain chocolate
100g whipping cream

Place the sugar and water in a small saucepan over a medium heat and bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool.
Whisk or process the chestnut puree until smooth, then add the sugar syrup and the vanilla essence. Blend in well.
In another bowl, whisk the double cream until it forms soft peaks. Add a spoonful to the chestnut cream, blending well. Refrigerate the remaining whipped cream.
Spoon the chestnut cream into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle. Pipe a mound of chestnut cream on to each meringue nest; if you don't have a piping bag, you can spoon it on.
Place a dollop of whipped cream on top of the mound of chestnut cream to resemble a mountain peak, and chill the whole dessert while making the chocolate sauce.
Heat the chocolate and single cream in a small saucepan over a low heat, stirring frequently.
Serve the meringues with a drizzle of chocolate sauce over them.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 12:54 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Chestnut purree .... just add a little sugar, press them through a kitchen gadget that makes 'vermillion' = spagehtti type thingies and add LOTS OF WHIPPED CREAM!!!!

Mind you Berhael's recipies sound fab too :D :D

Areanor: I just hate peeling chestnuts.. but then I'm definitely not a pro at it. If we ever get to do a moot in Germany in autumn, I'll gladly take lessons :D

Happy Easter... and on that topic: do you have any special Easter cookies, cakes etc. A bit late perhaps but I'll pilfer them for next years peruse ;)

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 1:24 pm
Milk and kisses

Torrijas (Spanish bread pudding)

You should definitely try torrijas at Easter. They are eaten all over Spain and consist of slices of bread soaked in milk, sugar and egg, fried in olive oil. According to what they are dipped in, and the way they are presented, there are other, delicious varieties: with wine, syrup, honey or sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon.

Serves: 4
Difficulty: easy
Preparation time: 1 - 2 hours

Ingredients:

* 32 fl. oz of milk
* Zest of 1 lemon (unwaxed)
* 1 cinnamon stick
* 16 oz. sugar
* 4 eggs (you may need more)
* olive oil
* 16 oz. honey
* Slices of bread for 'torrijas'

Preparation

Cut a large loaf of bread for 'torrijas' in fairly thick slices, about 2 fingers thick. I like using bloomer bread; the Spanish version is more like a thick baguette, not like bread you cut in slices to make toast; the crust is harder and the crumb more consistent.

Mix the milk and sugar in a saucepan. Boil over a low-medium heat, with the lemon zest and cinnamon stick, stirring frequently. Let it cool.

When cooled, pour the flavoured milk over the bread, letting it soak well, for up to 15minutes.

Beat the eggs in a separate dish. Dip the slices of bread (careful! They will be prone to breaking up, so you will have to lift and handle them with a spatula) in the beaten egg. The bread soaks up quite a bit of egg, so if you run out and you still have bread left - just crack another egg and beat it. :)

Fry in a pan with boiling oil until golden brown. Then drain well.

Place the 'torrijas' on a serving dish and pour honey over them. It is also traditional to sprinkle them with a mixture of sugar and powdered cinnamon (it's the version I prefer :D).

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 1:46 pm
Milk and kisses

And another recipe with chestnut puree that I just found for Tosh. It sounds delicious... :D
Quote:
Chestnut and Red Wine Pate en Croute

70mins
Serves 4
Main Course
Vegetarian

Ingredients

25g/1 oz butter or margarine
2 medium sized onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
50g/2 oz button mushrooms, sliced
90ml/3fl.oz. Red wine
175g/6oz tinned unsweetened chestnut puree
75g/3 oz soft breadcrumbs
salt and freshly ground black pepper
450g/1 lb flaky pastry
a little beaten egg to glaze

Instructions

1. Melt the butter in a saucepan; add the onions and fry for about 10 minutes until they are tender but not browned. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.

2. Pour in the wine and let it bubble for a minute or two until most of the liquid has gone, then remove from the heat and stir in the chestnut puree, bread crumbs and salt and pepper to taste.

3. Preheat the oven at 230C, 450F, Gas Mark 8. Roll out the pastry to two strips, one 6” x 12”, the other 9” x 12”. Put the small strip on a baking tray and brush with water. Spoon the mixture on to the pastry, keeping ½” clear round the edge and piling it up into a nice loaf-like shape in the middle. Brush the edge of the pastry with water and top with the second piece of pastry. Press together lightly and trim the edges.

4. Cut the trimmings into leaves and decorate the top. Make several holes to let out the steam. Brush with beaten egg or milk - put in the oven for 8 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 200C, 400F, Gas Mark 6 and bake for a further 20 - 25 minutes. Freezes well uncooked.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 5:36 pm
Best friends forever

Chicken Masala:

For the Masala:

1 tsp dried hot red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons Cumin seeds
2 teaspoons Coriander seeds
4 whole Cloves
4 Cardamom pods opened and only the seeds inside used
1 tbsp minced Garlic
1 tbsp minced Ginger

Grind spices, garlic, and ginger together very well and add ¼ cup water to make a paste. Set aside. (Use a spice grinder or mortar and pestle, the spices do not need to be perfectly fine, they can be somewhat coarse. And you can certainly use more of any one that you like.)

Also set aside: 1 Cinnamon stick

1 cup dried apricots, cut in halves or quarters
2 onions chopped not too fine
3 pounds boneless chicken thighs
4 medium tomatoes chopped or a can of diced tomatoes (28 oz)
1 tsp salt, and pepper to taste

-Heat about 2 tbsp oil over medium heat in heavy pan.
-Add cinnamon stick and stir about.
-Add onions and stir about until they are soft and beginning to brown.
-Add masala and stir about and let it “bloom” for a few seconds.
-Add the chicken and stir for about 5 minutes.
-Add the dried apricots and the tomatoes.
-Cook, covered, for about 30 minutes on top of the stove or put in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour.

When ready to serve, you may add 3 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro but if you don’t have any, don’t worry about it.

The original recipe says to soak the apricots overnight, but I don’t. I like them distinct in the dish, not just mooshy.

I don’t dice the chicken, I leave the thighs whole. I also brown the thighs first, then set them aside and then add the onions and spices to the pot and then put the chicken back in and carry on. You can use skinless thighs if you like, but it’s harder to brown them. Thighs are the best bits for this dish, breasts get too dry and haven’t got enough flavour to stand up to the masala.

This is mildly spicy, delicious over rice. Preferably Basmati Rice. NOT Texmati, but the real thing from India. Like most casserole dishes it is better the next day.

You can make it “hotter” by adding more red chili pepper flakes, or some chili paste, but don’t go overboard. The original combination is lovely, gently spicey and delicious.

If you use fresh tomatoes, you may need to add water. This should have a consistency like stew.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 7:11 pm

Ber, your torrijas recipe sounds a little like French toast...which I've never had any luck with. When I go to fry the wet bread, the outside will get cooked to quickly and the inside of the bread will be all gooey....I'm guessing that wouldn't be how the torrijas are supposed to turn out?

I may have to give this a try for easter as I'm going over to some family's house for dinner. It would be nice if I could bring something.

Have you ever heard of sopapillas?

Your recipe sounds delicious vison. Thanks for sharing! :)

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 8:41 pm
Milk and kisses

Eru, torrijas are supposed to be gooey inside. But maybe your oil is too hot; the bread should get golden, but not black immediately. :)

And I remember you mentioning sopapillas once. Do you have a recipe? :D

(and in reply to your post in the other thread, no, I'm afraid I wouldn't enjoy your charra beans :( Sorry! Emmental is a Swiss cheese, the famous "cheese with holes". It tastes a bit nutty, but to me it just tastes of rubber... yuck :sick: Although I like a bit of it in cheese fondue :scratch )

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 79  [ 1563 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 779 »
Jump to: