The Last Homely Site on the Web

In the future I'll be present in the past

Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 58 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Jan , 2005 5:25 pm
Gloriosus

Nin said (in the Harry-dressed-up-as-a-Nazi thread (while actual Nazis tend to dress up as Harry, at least in Germany))
Quote:
In general, I draw the line very high, and this is also, why I love to read about your re-enactment and archery, I would never do it. For me, it remains still a war and a weapon.
I have to disagree: reenactment is playing war, archery is plaing with weapons (most of the time, I assume). This is entirely different and much more enjoyable, in fact, a means to dissolve aggressivity. For example, if we successfully "storm" a rebel redoubt, we slap our backs, reassure each other how splendid that looked, offer cigars and swigs of whiskey and are best of friends. I wish every war would be like that.
Most interesting: even the "original" soldiers of the American Civil War did that. There was an anniversary some tens of years after the war at Gettysburg when the survivors of Pickett's charge marched up the hill where the survivors of their adversaries met them. They fraternised and declared how glad they were finally meeting in friendship.

Admittedly, on another occasion it became the "battle of the walking sticks", but old men are a bit peculiar now and then.

– – –

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Jan , 2005 6:04 pm
Per aspera ad astra

I know and understand.... it's just something that I won't do. For me... that's jsut my personnal, humorless pacifist sensibility... I like to read and I'd probably adore the costumes... I just won't do it myself.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Jan , 2005 6:15 pm
Gloriosus

I was just the same, 10 years ago. Conscientious objector and all that. Protester against the military and nuclear armament. And I was probably still just the same when I went to my first reenactment event dressed as a contemporary civilian.
I came out of that event a fully equipped, armed-to-the-teeth Union infantrist, with a happy grin like an emoticon.
Just come and have a look at any event. If you've got the genes for reenactment, you'll join. And you'll feel better.

(luring, luring ...) :D

– – –

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Jan , 2005 6:29 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

.. ah.. yes.. the luring. Hmmmm... wonder if I could send the family on a Caribbean Cruise or something :halo:

.. one day.. one day..... [insert sighing dreamy looking smiley]

Do I really need another 'hobby'/additction?
:Q

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Jan , 2005 6:55 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Same problem here...

(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Rholarowyn
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Jan , 2005 9:40 pm

Nin, this may sound odd but for the first year I did archery I never ever thought of it as using a weapon. For me archery was a sport where I shot at targets. It wasn't until one day I was outside practicing at 65 yards and my cat (who I couldn't see at that distance) was lying on the ground in front of the target. I released my arrow and it came up short. My arrow ended up hitting her in the rear leg, breaking it in several places.

Once I got over the trama of shooting my own cat I began to grasp that this sport, which I had grown to love, did indeed have another side to it. It was then I began to understand the magnitude of what I was doing and the responsibility that went along with it.

(BTW my cat Kajai is still alive, though we had to have her back leg amputated that day.)

I understand your feelings about war and weapons and have felt the same way for many years. I think what has changed me is knowing what my intent is when I shoot. I am using a weapon, but I shoot paper and rubber targets for sport. I've also become quite suprised at how learning to use a bow has helped me to gain better mental focus and develop a stronger sense of self discipline.

:)

And the day came
When the risk to remain
Tight in a bud
Was more painful
Than the risk it to blossom

~Annais Nin~

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Jan , 2005 9:58 pm
Per aspera ad astra

I know all this and I don't think of any of you as a violent or war-loving person.

Only I can't do it myself.

(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Jan , 2005 10:39 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Re-enactment /living history doesn't just have to be about war and bloodshed. :roll:

The best example I can think of off the top of my head is Kentwell Hall in Suffolk, where we took Jae last summer. The manor house is privately owned and to help maintain the property the owners recruit re-enactors to bring the place to life. Every year they pick a different 16th Century year (last year was 1556) and as many as 200 individuals take on a persona of the period and the whole place comes to life; from Tudor breeds of animals to men selling English version of the Bible under the counter, to the bakery and bathhouse, to the ladies of the house being told off for being found in the brewery. It really is awesome stuff, and no fighting to be seen (only four guys posing with polearms).

http://www.kentwell.co.uk/

The group Jeff and I are part of do living history. Part of a day's entertainment is an example of how to arm a knight, the weaponry of the period and a demonstration of people hitting each other (Brits are bloodthirsty creatures and they do enjoy watching this part). But the majority of the day is spent far more peacefully. Sewing, cooking, rope-making, dyeing, mail-making, gaming, talking to the public about life, social-structure, religion, politics...

Oh and having a family is no excuse. ;) Many groups welcome kids (and spouses) with open arms.

Mummppizz, I too have no idea what we're doing wittering on about linguistics (something at which I am a long way from pretending knowledge of). :) Though I feel confident enough to state emphatically that it was not French. It was a wierd hybrid of French & Norse. The closest modern equivalent would be Jèrriais, spoken now only on the island of Jersey (arguably the last remaining fragment of the Anglo-Norman Empire), although scraps also survive in British Parliamentary protocol. :mrgreen:

As for the possibility of confusion arising from the difference between 'lose' and 'loose'- I could say if one was speaking Anglo-Norman the words might not be quite so similar. But my Anglo-Norman is rubbish, so I shall shut up.

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Jan , 2005 11:16 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Leoba... maybe the groups would welcome them - but what if the husband in question would not want to come at any price?

(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Jan , 2005 3:06 am
That Weird American

Can you get away by yourself for a bit?

I've run into a few people in the SCA (the recreation group Vana and I are in) who's spouses don't want anything to do with it...but they still show up to lots of events. Not sure what that does to their home life, though...

That crazy American Jerk...

"No stop signs, speed limits, no body's gonna slow me down..."

"You can run, but you'll die tired." -- What the archer said to the knight.

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Jan , 2005 8:33 am
Gloriosus

My wife doesn't like my hobby, too. I told her that she could join the ranks, as we accept women too as long as they do a more or less acceptable impersonation (I must add that we demand this of men, too). I just fear her easily boiling blood would cause her to really scalp some Confederates once she's joined an attack.

– – –

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Feb , 2005 11:02 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

This thread needs a bump I think. I'm sure many on the American side of the pond are familar with the SCAtanic verses. But for those as of yet unenlightend:
Quote:
The SCAtanic Verses

or Some Essential Facts about the Real Middle Ages as Recreated in the Society for Creative Anachronism by:

Some Roarers, Rogerers, Gorgers and Pukers whom you don't know.

DISCLAIMER: This is not an official publication of the SCA Inc. If it were, it would be so dreadfully dull that the ink would be trying to escape from the paper. In addition, it would not be even mildly critical of the SCA. In fact, it would likely consist only of event announcements, lists of officers (it is so vital that everyone in the kingdom be reminded every damn month just who the seneschal of the Shire of Elephant's Bottom is), and a letter from the king as follows: Now that the snows of Winter cover Our Land, and our Populace turns to peaceful Pursuits we remind all Gentles that it is Important to send in letters of Intent for those who would Fight in our Honourable Crown Tournament... (This practice is based on the practice of English kings, beginning with Hardecanute, of publishing a similar notice in The Leppards, the kingdom newsletter of England).

Also, the SCA Inc. forbids its newsletters to use the word "tits", or to depict them (even on mermaids), or to use other nasty language. The authors believe that profane language is a prerequisite of artistic integrity, and that's why the imprimatur of the SCA Inc. been eschewed.

INTRODUCTION:

Since the Society for Creative Anachronism is an organization dedicated to the re-creation of the Middle Ages, the Authors reasoned that it ought to be possible to reconstruct what actually happened in the Middle Ages by observing the SCA. Since the Authors are a bunch of old cranks that have been in the SCA long enough to burn out, we figured that we'd done all the observing anyone would want to do. Anyone who's been around longer is too bored and jaded to observe, and anyone who's been around less than we have is a bloody newbie who doesn't know a Tuchuk from shinola. As such we decided to write this book.

Some would say that we set out to be accurate in our extrapolations about the middle Ages. Others would say that we set out to piss people off (especially the ayatollahs of SCA orthodoxy). We leave it to the reader to form his own conclusions, but it is no accident that the Authors' names do not appear on this document.

Alchemists - were just this far from discovering how to turn lead to gold. They were the forerunners of modern chemists, and if they had not been so unjustly persecuted they would have invented plastic and Velcro.

Armour was made out of whatever was handy. Substances like horn, which was just like plastic, were especially common for beginners. Denim was often worn with armour, and running shoes as well.

Arts were separate from sciences in the middle Ages, but nobody was certain why. A great deal of time was spent deciding which was which. See Sciences.

Autocrats were the people who organized tournaments. They didn't need to be polite or to wear garb. An example was the Tsar, who was titled "Tsar and Autocrat of All the Russias," and who was rarely polite. Russia was plagued with troubles and civil strife as a result, until it was revealed that the Tsar and the Czar were the same man.

Awards were given by kings and queens. Awards came with medallions, initials and precedence. Awards were given at court, and courts weren't official unless a seneschal was there. Every few years someone would publish an Order of Precedence, which is like Debrett's Peerage only without the interesting essays or the adverts.

Backrubs were a prime form of social interaction in the middle Ages. It was considered very rude to refuse a backrub, no matter how repulsive the person who offered. Foot-rubs were likewise very important, often unsolicited and always appreciated by everyone. Historians hark back to the Great Backrub Circle of 1183, when the entire court of Henry II sat in a big circle on the floor and rubbed each other's backs.

Bagpipes were played only in Scotland, and they were primarily a military instrument. All those Breughel paintings of Flemish peasants dancing to bagpipe music are clever forgeries. For the edification of the reader, it is pointed out that a bagpipe is made by killing a goat or sheep, cutting off the head and hindquarters, pulling the insides out, and turning the skin inside-out. Then you sew up the hindquarters and stick tubes in where the front hooves and the neck used to be.

Bards were common in the middle Ages. Everyone who wasn't a knight or a maiden was a bard. Bards either played the harp or wished they did. Indeed, it is doubtful whether there were any musical instruments in the Middle Ages other than the harp, the guitar and the recorder (and in Scotland the Bagpipe).

Bardic Circles were common gatherings usually after a feast, designated for deciding who was going to sleep in which tents.

Belly dancing was common all over Europe in the middle Ages. See Obesity.

Beggars were cheerfully tolerated by all. They were often ennobled and given money and food. When they were abused it was all in good fun. They were often baptized with Christian names like Scum.

Bumper stickers were required by all and affixed to Carts, shields, boxes and vehicles alike.

Camping was a common activity, were people left their homes for the purpose of socializing and interrelating with no specific purpose.

Celts were fiercely independent persons from Scotland, Cumberland, Wales and Ireland. They spoke Celtic and wore Celtic clothes. They, like the Vikings, only existed in Early Period. As a matter of honour, they always pronounced Celt with a hard C. They were rarely Christians. (The Celtic Church was a pernicious myth invented by mediaeval barbers in order to perpetuate an amusing sort of Mohawk called the Celtic Tonsure.) Celtic women were equal to Celtic men because the Celts were so egalitarian, and they were allowed to wear pants.

Cheers varied distinctly by kingdom. When a new kingdom or principality formed, a new cheer had to be invented. The general cheer was "Vivat!", but the cheer was varied by kingdom. In France they yelled "Vivat France!", in England just "Vivat." Everyone, of course, thought of himself as the citizen of a given country like France or Germany, and never as a citizen of Paris or a countryman of Brandenburg. Cheers were always yelled in three chorused barks.

Chirurgeons were a bunch of hysterical busybodies who put leeches on people's veins, cupped their skin with hot glass and never washed their hands before surgery. This, of course, resulted in widespread mistrust of the Chirurgeons by people in general, as well as an astronomical rate of mortality among their patients. They were all royally warranted, and they didn't need to wear garb.

Chocolate is proof that some people just can't go one day without eating something non-period.

Christianity was a conspiracy started by Pope Pius IX in the late 19th century. Constantine never really converted, nor did Patrick convert Ireland, nor Augustine England. In fact, nobody but Crusaders were ever Christian. This was never really a problem, because there was no overt religion in the middle Ages. It was considered good manners just to allow others to live and let live. Except Christians, who invented the Inquisition to persecute witches (and Jews).

Chroniclers published newsletters. Every shire, canton, barony and kingdom in the middle Ages had to have a newsletter, and chroniclers were created by royal warrant. Chroniclers never wrote chronicles.

Clothes came in two sorts: Field Garb and Court Garb. Field garb (which was the sole sort of clothing in Early Period) was comfortable and often made of denim. Court garb was uncomfortable and Late Period. Peasants and beggars preferred earth tones and denim, and always tore holes in their clothes before putting them on. Modern clothing was always worn under armour, since mediaeval clothing is unsafe.

Confessionals (an aspect of the Middle Ages not found in the SCA, since they are forbidden by the BOD policy on religion) were a place where all sins were revealed and shortcomings made known. The only place in the SCA where all sins are revealed and shortcomings made known is the Pennsic Swimming Hole. Excessive unburdening is, however, highly discouraged in such places. See Obesity.

Cooks (a sort of fighter) were even more powerful than knights. They were known to be able to wipe out massive numbers with just one remove of burnt barley slop. Cooks only rarely used spices. When they did, they used a lot, and nobody ate the food. As a result, everyone had to fill up on bread (see Obesity, q.v.). Cooks were always called into feast halls to be thanked after feasts. Sometimes cooks were called feast-o-crats or kitchen-o-crats.

Cords were used as a sign of rank or affiliation. Green and black cords were worn by Rangers. Red and black cords were worn by Mongols. Fencers hung their cords on their shoulders.

Crete was where women were in charge, everyone worshipped snakes and went topless.

Crusaders were a bunch of fine fellows who killed Saracens and wore coats with crosses on them. They accounted for most of the Christian population of Europe.

Courts were a mediaeval form of sedation and birth control. Not only were courts long and dull (thus putting the courtiers to sleep while keeping them out of bed), but they also called for complicated clothing. Courts were usually held after dinner (except at coronations). The primary business of courts was the distribution of awards. Courts were generally held with the presiding nobles facing their subjects (with a seneschal standing just behind and between). The subjects sat quietly and snoozed in neat rows.

Dancing was especially popular in Late Period. Fighters and Vikings never danced. In Early Period, dances primarily consisted of jigs and reels played on the violin. Dancing did not change between 1100 and 1815, so any dance that was done before the Battle of Waterloo is period.

Demigods were worshipped in the hope of future protection, patronage or advancement. Often they wore white belts or medallions with leaves and bleeding birds.

Dyes were generally black, and generally used on hooded cloaks. Red was the next most common, and generally used on lining fabric for cloaks. Other dyes were created by wise women. One wonders what they were doing living in the woods and being persecuted by peasants if they were so damn wise.

Early Period was when everyone lived in the Celtic countries or in Scandinavia. Some people were Goths then. People in Early Period all dressed the same, in t-tunics and pants. Women often went in brief, sleeveless dresses, which they got from Greece. Women could do anything they liked in Early Period. Economics: there were none in the middle Ages. Everyone had a lot of money except for beggars and thieves and peasants.

Fat Broads is an abusive and sexist term, which we will not deign to define here. However, there must have been a bloody lot of them in the middle Ages.

Feasts were prepared by Cooks. They generally consisted of an appetizer, meat with a green salad and a dessert. These courses were called "removes", and were announced by Heralds and printed on menus. Feasts were often served on plastic plates. Particularly well-organized feasts often boasted place cards, with the names of all the guests placed at their seats. When noblemen paid for their feasts they were given "feast tokens", which were never consulted by the servers but were rather a sort of souvenir. Sometimes they were worthwhile (like key chains), but more often they were just wooden discs with something carved on them. Some nobles preferred not to pay for feast, and they either ate off-board or went out to Ponderosa (or Tunnel Ribs in Windsor).

Fish was never eaten in the middle Ages, especially not by ladies.

Florentines, like all Italians, existed only in the Renaissance. They were especially known for fighting with two broadswords at once. This style was especially favored by Kings.

France was almost completely unpopulated during Early Period (Especially after most Frenchmen moved to England and became Normans in 1066). In Late Period it had a small population of noblewomen who sang and wrote poetry as well as a few noblemen. Every male in France was a knight, except for troubadours. And they all had long hair. This is not a real identifying characteristic because everybody in the middle Ages had long hair. And glasses.

Geeks (including persons lacking in social skills) were everywhere in the middle Ages. Bards were especially likely to be geeks.

Gods! was what people shouted as an expletive. This was because so many were pagans.

Gypsies were revered by everyone in the Middle Ages (something like Bards), and always dressed just like gypsies in the movies of the 1940's. Especially the headscarves.

Hats were worn occasionally. They generally consisted of a piece of cloth and a circlet. Broad-brimmed straw and felt hats were seen occasionally. Other hats were also worn, but only with court garb , and only occasionally. Gypsies wore headscarves, Scots wore Tam-o'-shanters, and Vikings generally wore helmets. Samurai never wore hats.

Heralds were primarily occupied with paperwork. Their job was to ascertain that no two people in Europe had similar names and coats of arms. They were especially concerned with "Points of Difference", and wars were fought over how many cherubim proper could dance on a point of difference.

Honey Butter was the primary staple food in Europe throughout the middle Ages. Nobody ever sat down to feast without a good dish of honey-butter, and "to break honey-butter" was synonymous with sitting down to eat a meal. Fortunes were made in acquiring monopolies on the importation of honey butter to England in the sixteenth century, and some theorize that Essex's uprising was motivated by his losing this lucrative monopoly. The English Muscovy Company, the only trading company to be established in England before 1600, was said to have specialized in exporting English honey butter to Russia in return for furs and firs. It amazes modern historians both that mediaeval cooks had so little imagination in the way of butter and that everyone didn't get sick of it.

Households all had names, usually beginning with the word "House". Most of them had badges as well. Households were a device, which allowed people to have relatives from widely divergent times and places.

Initials were what people put after their names, so that everyone would know what awards they had.

Inquisition (Spanish): Unexpected.

Ireland was one of the most populous nations in the middle Ages, especially in Early Period. The population was fiercely independent, and often wore tartan trousers in earth tones. The population there primarily consisted of bards. Irishmen were especially pagan, even after the conversion by St. Patrick, because they were so fierce and so clever.

Italy did not exist until the Renaissance. Italians loved to dance and hated to fight. They often wore short tunics. The Renaissance was invented in Italy.

Jews in the middle Ages often became Pagan as soon as they went to University. They all had Hebrew names, primarily from the Bible-never Greek names like Alexander or Hyrcanos or Kalonymos. All Jewish men were known by patronymics and all Jewish women had matronymics. Jews always dressed like Arabs, but other than that they were never much interested in religion. Their dietary laws were not important at Feasts, and they were often seen at Kingdom Twelfth Night munching on the roast suckling pig. If confronted by a rabbi, their response was to point to the decorations on the pig and say, "Rabbi, see how fancy the goyim serve a baked apple!"

Japan was a feudal state in the Pacific, which carried on thriving trade, communications and exchanges of population with Europe (especially England and Scotland) during the middle Ages.

Kings were absolute monarchs in the middle Ages, except that they were under the complete control of their Seneschals (like the King of Sweden). Everyone (except Vikings) bowed to them all the time and called them "your Majesty".

Knights (an exalted sub classification of fighters) were very powerful and could wear whatever they wanted. They dated (and sometimes married) women young enough to be their daughters.

Late Period (including the Renaissance) was when everyone lived in England, with some living in France and Italy. This was when Court Garb was invented. Also see Renaissance.

Literacy was common, almost prevalent except among Vikings and beggars. Nobody but priests and scholars, however, could read Latin. Everyone else could read only English. In the middle Ages, honour was always spelled with a 'u'.

Makeup was just like modern makeup. Even in Japan. Perhaps women wore a bit more blue eye shadow than is currently fashionable.

McDonald's did not exist in the middle Ages. If they had had it, however, they would have eaten there. A lot. There was not an ancient tradition that the name "McDonalds" should never be said, and that it was just called "The Scottish Restaurant".

Mongols were fiercely independent and always wore black. Mongol women could do whatever they wanted. Mongol headgear consisted of a piece of black cloth held on the head by a black band.

Morality did not exist other than it was immoral to not be accepting and supportive of everyone's sexual choices, at least in loud public statements. Many people in conference were required to quietly discuss everyone's choice of sexuality and partners and to come to a consensus as to the acceptability of these social liaisons.

Mottos were affixed to banners and badges alike. It was allowed to say anything, no matter how impolite or improper if it were done in Latin.

Muslims were rare in the middle Ages. All Muslim women belly-danced. Muslim men were short and spoke in a loud, nasal voice. There is a widespread theory that Muslims were generally closet Jews with surnames like Friedman.

Names were never duplicated. No two people in Europe had the same name, or even the same coat of arms. If a parent wanted to baptize his child John of Kent, and the local herald found an Earl of Kent who was called John, why they just sent the parents home from church, closed up the font and made an appointment for next week. People generally had several first names, like "John Patrick Stephen Douglas of Skye", and when they joined households they added their household's names on. When people got married, the woman would take the part of her husband's name she liked the best, and add it on to all of her names. As a result, people in the middle Ages often had names like "Alicia Morgana du Val MacTaggard of House Flamingnose, the Wild Woods and the Smoky Rocks", don't ya know.

Normans are English noblemen from France who hate Saxons. It must be noted that Normans have upper-class English accents, rather than French accents. The word "Norman" comes from a French word meaning "fierce and independent", and all the Normans were descended from one Hrolf "Rollo" the Gangster, who became Duke of Normandy after being (or beating, the translation is not clear) the King of France twice.

Obesity was common in the Middle Ages, especially among persons of rank and kingdom officers. This was because they were all filling up on bread at feasts. That and chocolate chip cookies. Obese people, like Muslims, often belly-danced.

Officers were important people in the Middle Ages who wore baldrics of office, medallions of office and smug expressions. The seneschal of a mediaeval kingdom was roughly analogous to the prime minister of modern Sweden: more powerful than the King and occasionally apt to be assassinated on the way home at night.

Oyez was what people shouted when they wanted to be heard over a din. This was especially done by Heralds, but an off-hand cry of "oyez" often tossed into an announcement if nobody was paying any attention.

Paganism was the dominant organized religion in the middle Ages. Pagans worshipped a goddess instead of God and were very egalitarian and close to nature. Christianity stole most of its creed and worship from the Pagans who had it all first. Everybody was really a pagan, except for Torquemada. But everyone else. Even Henry II. Peasants were few in the middle ages, but they were fierce and independent, and always corrected people who mistook them for noblemen. Like beggars, they had names like Fungus and Scum, and like beggars they were often ennobled.

Populace was what the collective nobles of a mediaeval kingdom were called. They loved being called "The Populace", and they bowed all the time.

Rangers were a sort of soldier first raised in British North America in 1759. They were especially known for fighting Florentine. They wore black felt hats and green-and-black Cords.

Religion: Except for a few priests, the people were too clever or too Pagan to be truly religious.

Renaissance (a division of Late Period) was when everyone began wearing tights (men) and fancy dresses with hoops and corsets (women). There was no Field Garb during the Renaissance. People just wore early-period garb when it was hot or when they did something gross. Women often dressed in men's clothing in hot weather.

Romans were all pagan and all spoke with British accents. Everyone hated the Romans. Their primary contribution to culture was the Roman Salute, which consisted of thumping the breastplate with a fist, then giving the black-power salute. They either wore a short tunica, a long toga or armour. They had leaves on their heads.

Sages were people who knew everything about the mediaeval world because they had sat at High Table, and had read a book by Margaret Murray. They were always right, and tended to be Kingdom Officers.

Saints were really gods in disguise. Everyone who was pretending to venerate saints was really worshipping pagan gods. Saint Bridget, for instance, was really a goddess called Brigantia. Saint Patrick was really the Irish god of exterminators. Saint Paul was really the patron deity of Thracian postmen. Note that Paul in Greek is Paulos, and that rhymes with Apollos (and we all know what that proves).

Samurai were fierce and independent people from Japan who never put their swords down. Like Vikings, Samurai never dance. Samurai wished that James Clavell had been born in the middle Ages. The fiercest and most independent Samurai are called Ronin, and they were deuced proud of it.

Saxons were fierce and independent Englishmen who spoke English and hated Normans. They were essentially indistinguishable from Irishmen, except that they existed up until the Renaissance, whereas Irishmen stopped at the end of Early Period.

Sciences were distinguished from arts by mediaeval scholars as follows: If you can kill someone with it, it is a science. This was always followed by a hearty laugh. This is an unsuitable definition, since it is easy to strangle someone with embroidery floss, or to beat someone to death with a mandolin. On the other hand, building a mandolin is a science. Are mandolins period?

Scotland, especially the Highlands, was heavily populated throughout the middle Ages, especially with people with thick Clydeside accents and belted plaids (which they called kilts) and kilts (which they also called kilts). Everyone there (and nowhere else) loved bagpipe music. Scots danced Highland Dances a lot. Scots were fiercely independent, loyal to the King of Scots, and always had surnames beginning with 'Mac' as well as several first names.

Shoes were long and pointed, and so nobody actually wore them. They wore black cloth slippers, which they imported from China. Or running shoes. When they fought they sometimes wore engineer boots or combat boots, but more generally wore sneakers. Songs were sung by Bards. Songs did not change between 1200 and 1914, so any pre-WWI song is period.

Taverns were bars in the middle Ages. They were staffed by Wenches and everyone went to them, sometimes in disguise. Thieves especially frequented taverns. People in taverns often sang "Barrett's Privateers".

Thieves admitted being thieves and belonged to guilds and observed the feast of St. Dismas, patron of thieves. Nobody minded because there were no cops in the middle Ages.

Tournaments were run according to elimination trees. They lasted a few hours and were followed by Feasts. They were occasionally followed by Dessert Revels instead, which forced everyone to eat out. Tournaments were always on Saturdays, which was why Orthodox Jews were never knights.

Twelfth Night was called such because it was held on the twelve successive Saturdays after the first of December. It was always very dull, because there was no fighting.

Underwear was just like modern underwear, except for two exceptions. Women who really needed to wear a brassiere never did, and Scotsmen never wore underwear at all (this was called being "regimental", from the Latin regima, which means "no shorts"). Even in the dead of winter.

Unicorns were worshipped by everyone throughout the middle Ages. The best analogy is the single, good-looking woman (or man) with intelligence and no history of mental disorder: a mythical creature often sought but rarely found. Not in the SCA anyway.

Velcro did not exist in the middle Ages, but (like Spandex) if it had existed it would have been used widely.

Vikings were Norsemen and all Norsemen were Vikings. The term comes from the Swedish word "vik", which means "fierce and independent". All of them wore fur and never danced. They had a special fondness for earth tones, and hated bright colors and ornaments. Vikings only existed in Early Period, after which Scandinavia was completely depopulated. Vikings never bow to kings. They occasionally give the Roman Salute (see Roman). Vikings were all pagan.

Virginity, a quality that was restored to most ladies every 6 months or so.

Waivers were required by all persons gathered to participate in any activity. No one is sure of the value of any of these things but it is certain that many people required more than a one of these.

Wales was heavily populated in Early Period by fiercely independent bards called "Cymru", which means "fierce and independent". In Wales nobody was anybody's master (It is not clear whether they were anarchists like the Vikings or utopian socialists like the Irish). An exception was the English, and everyone hated them. Welsh people tended to have several hard-to-pronounce names.

Wench: an implement used to accomplish a task without using one's hands. One need not own a wench; one might borrow one from a neighbor and never return it.

Whips, lashes, floggers and cat-o-nine tails were carried by a large percentage of the populace, but their use in legal structures is never noted. See Morality.

Witches were Pagans and vice versa. They were unjustly persecuted by the few available Christians who were just jealous.

PROVISO:

An important caveat to keep in mind while dealing with any of the above definitions is that any modern person is ten times better than any mediaeval person. This means that any modern illuminator can paint better than the Limbourg brothers, any modern bagpiper can pipe like a MacCrimmon, that any modern poet can write better than any poxy mediaeval writer of chansons de geste.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Feb , 2005 12:32 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Estel and I do re-enactments of WW1 sometimes.

She pretends she's Mata Hari...and you can guess the rest.

BTW - not many people know that Mata Hari was Dutch. That's the real reason Estel wants to learn that language and wants to have ik hou van jou inscribed on the rings.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Sunsilver
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Feb , 2005 2:07 pm

Eruname wrote:
The other aussie is peeg I believe and *E* is the Canuk...though I can't help but think of her as an American. :roll: Sorry *E*! :P
Vison and I are also both Canucks, Eru, though we live quite far apart. (She's in BC, I'm in Ontario, and E* is in New Brunswick.)

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Feb , 2005 2:09 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Eruname's post was written before you joined wasn't it. I don't think anyone would dream of saying we're a Euro-centric board anymore. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 18 Apr , 2005 7:15 am
Gloriosus

Yoohoo, I think this thread could be a stuffer for the "Dale" forum.

There'll be a major (or better: the major) event in Kuelsheim, near Heilbronn, on May 5th-8th, and I'll be there, most probably.

– – –

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 9:26 am
Per aspera ad astra

Moved as per request....

And Mummpizz: Civil war is my next history subject for my bilingual students in may. Prepare to be swamped :D

(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 9:29 am
Gloriosus

I'm looking forward to it ... :) :)

– – –

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 May , 2005 8:06 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

I'm almost getting excited about the first event of the season, this coming weekend. Hell, I am excited (not 'almost') - it's at a Cistercian Abbey. :D:D:love:

I also found a little link that might be of interest to those of you in the UK (and Europe possibly): http://www.historictraders.co.uk/ It's a new website with links to traders' contact details, dates of markets, that sort of thing!

Also, yesterday, there was a neat little article on the BBC - reasonably balanced in viewpoint- about those people who choose to re-enact as Nazi soldiers: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derb ... 424035.stm

Quote:

Can war games cause serious offence?
By Greig Watson
BBC News, Nottingham

Rather than wash the car or put up shelves this weekend, you could put on the costume of warrior from history.
Dressing up as a roundhead or a Roman is an option, but what about a soldier of Nazi Germany?

Groups who spend time, money and effort in recreating the army held responsible for one of the darkest moments in human history are sometimes regarded as crackpots and extremists.

A heritage railway in Derbyshire was recently criticised for using a picture of a Nazi soldier on its newsletter - the image causing some offence as it came close to the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz.

But the members of these societies say they play a valuable educational role, are often welcomed by veterans and realise they have a responsibility to remember the lessons of the past.

English Heritage, the largest organiser of "living history" events in the country, is acutely aware of the potential for causing offence.

I have spoken to many Jewish people and at least one Rabbi and from them the opinion seems to be 'Whilst people can see this, they will not forget'
Paul Dalby, Axis Forces Re-enactment Association

A spokesman said: "While we feel staging World War Two themed events, involving both allied and axis forces, is very important, we do not allow the portrayal of any politically inspired units such as the Gestapo or the Waffen SS.
"The communication of any personal political beliefs by performers at English Heritage events is strictly forbidden."

Paul Dalby, a security management analyst from South Yorkshire, is chair of the Axis Forces Re-enactment Association.

The association boasts a busy diary of living history events across the country, where the members re-create the activities of the 116 Panzer division, which eventually surrendered to the US Army in April 1945.

Mr Dalby said: "The Second World War was the defining event of modern times, to a large extent it made the world we live in now.

"It would be ridiculous to only portray one side of the conflict - the soldiers of the Axis forces were people too."

Mr Dalby, who portrays a standard army soldier rather than an SS trooper, said in his years of taking part in the group he has had "a handful" of complaints.

"The public are fascinated and the veterans are often pleased that someone has taken the time to remember what they did.

"I have spoken to many Jewish people and at least one Rabbi and from them the opinion seems to be 'whilst people can see this, they will not forget'," he said.

Important balance

Mr Dalby also rejects any suggestion his activities might encourage those with extremist views.

He said: "I find neo-Nazis are usually cowards who do not want to come into the light.

"We do encounter them at shows and they usually want to stand and shout 'sieg heil' and so on.

"When met with stony faces and a refusal to return the salute, their bravado wanes and upon being given the explanation that we do not share common views, they disappear back to the beer tent with their bull terrier dragging behind."

You'd think people would have got over seeing Romans as the bad guys, but we've been booed at some displays
Chris Haines, Ermine Street Guard

He added: "We do our best to maintain an awareness of the Nazi crimes and injustices.
"Our aim is balanced education on this aspect - not denial or revisionism."

A spokesman for the Board of Deputies of British Jews, said: "We do not want all traces of Hitler's Germany to be ignored or removed.

"That clearly goes against the idea of remembering the Holocaust so it could never happen again.

"So where such events educate people, it must be worth doing.

"The difference would be if education somehow slipped into trivialisation or worse, glorification."

Controversy is not limited to portraying recent history. Chris Haines is chairman of the Ermine Street Guard, a Roman re-enactment group.

"You'd think people would have got over seeing Romans as the bad guys but we've been booed at some displays, though it was done in good humour.

"When visiting schools, we have had quite heated disagreements with teachers about whether the Romans really conquered Wales, or how far into Scotland their influence ran.

"At least it shows how history still affects the present day, and how important it can be."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/e ... 424035.stm

Published: 2005/05/10 08:53:41 GMT

© BBC MMV

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 May , 2005 3:39 pm
Insolent Pup

American Civil War reenactment, eh? I've been to a number of those because my father loves the Civil War history. The battles are cool, but all-in-all I was always bored (and young). You could learn about a lot of stuff in the camps, though-- like how surgery went on the field, how they ate, slept, cooked, fixed weapons, blah, blah.

Not much into archery myself. But I've done a bunch in my life.

Count me amongst the Americans here, too.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 58 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Jump to: