The Last Homely Site on the Web

In the future I'll be present in the past

Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 58 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Mummpizz
Post subject: In the future I'll be present in the past
Posted: Wed 12 Jan , 2005 2:22 pm
Gloriosus

Arrows were flying low in another thread, and just en passant it turned out some of us like to dress up funny and do strange things with other people dressed likewise. Well, for the most of these actions, I earn my money with it, as I'm dressing up in tie and suit and discuss business with my clients, but in the spare time there's mail, armour, uniforms, lances and swords, guns and bows.

I got "hooked" into Civil War Reenactment by my eldest brother. There's actually a quite big community in Germany doing that hobby, originating from a very strange ylem brewed together from Wild West TV Shows and dime novels, mingled with a bit "Gone with the Wind" and Karl May (the German equivalent of Zane Grey). That was why in the 90ies there was a higher quota of rebels present at Civil War Reenactment Events than there was in Tennessee (I compared). With the years, it turned better, and by now we a quite even.
Being a leftist liberal and abolitionist I could go nowehere but for the Union, even if that meant support for the Republican Party. Well, things have changed.

Things have changed in my life as well. I broke my foot while attending an event last year, and I'm kinda worried about my hearing. Guns make a terrible noise. That's why I got in contact with a Roman Reenactment group in the vicinity I'd like to join. These guys are even stranger than the bogus US Army I normally hung around with, and I'm looking forward to meeting with them.

Some of you may remember a pic of my wife and me dressed as Galadriel and Uruk-hai, but that armour was out of cardboard for carnival, and while I am the proud owner of a Star Wars stormtrooper armour, it was just an occasion on ebay in 1999 and I only wore it once.

Enough babble about me. There's still that question "What did officers commanding archers yell before firearms were invented (and the cry "fire" became meaningful)?"

– – –

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 12 Jan , 2005 2:43 pm
Milk and kisses

Shoot?

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 12 Jan , 2005 3:00 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

I answered this question over in the Archery thread, where it was originally posed. I believe that archers would be told to "loose" their arrows.

In the interests of total geekdom, I can share some exciting Anglo-Norman archers orders with you (my source, however, is the Conquest webpage member section and I would have to bribe someone most probably to locate the book they were purloined from).
Quote:
Archers Orders

NOCK ARROWS
encoches les saietes [en-cosh-ay les sai-et-ay], or simply encoches [en-cosh-ay]

MARK YOUR TARGET
marques la cible [mark-ay la si-ble]

LOOSE
tires [tir-ay]
As you might therefore have guessed, both Din and I are members of an Anglo-Norman living history group, which usually portrays a castle garrison somewhere between the years 1066 and 1215, though with a tendency towards the latter end of that epoch.:mrgreen: I shoot people (when I’m not looking girly) and Din dresses up as a Bishop (which makes the Stormtrooper thing look almost normal by comparison).

I just worked out, it’s now been 8 years since I first dabbled my toes into those waters which lead one to dress up funny and consume vast quantities of unlabelled homebrew round the camp fire. :sick: Having had a hankering for long skirts and camping trips since I was knee high to a grasshopper (and saw a massive Sealed Knot ‘do’ when I was 6 years old), I ended up an innocent 18 year old in the English Civil War Society. With whom I did a couple of shows when I was a student. Which reminds me – Mummpizz – ‘Civil War’ to us Brits, means the 17th century altercation between King Charles and that-bastard-Cromwell. ;)
:toast:

Last edited by Leoba on Wed 12 Jan , 2005 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Quote
Canamarth
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 12 Jan , 2005 3:04 pm
Mistress Archer of Dale

The elves say Release!

I do medieval archery (stick and string, so to say). And I dress up in medieval attire and attend markets and the like. But I'm not in a group (yet). There's a few Vikings who are trying to recruit me, though...

Sei reizend zu Deinen Feinden, nichts ärgert sie mehr.
(Carl Orff)

:archer:

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 12 Jan , 2005 3:09 pm
Gloriosus

It would have been open for misinterpretations if officers yelled "loose!"
Tirez would be "shoot" in french.

(American) Civil War - my bad. I almost forgot this site is eurocentric.

– – –

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 12 Jan , 2005 3:43 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

ohhhhhhh ! :mrgreen: Nice to see this up. I'll be a regular lurker.. probably till the day my daugher goes to middle school or hubby gets even more tolerant :wink:

settles in comfy chair with a huge mug of tea
:mrgreen:

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 12 Jan , 2005 6:54 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

They do American Civil War reenactments in Germany? :Q How strange! That was interesting to learn about Mummpizz! :)

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 12 Jan , 2005 7:23 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Mummpizz. :mrgreen: I'm not talking about the French language or a French army.;) Besides, couldn't 'tirer' also be used in the right context to mean 'to fire' just as much as 'to shoot'?

I'm struggling from the paucity of my home library to find references, but I can tell you that in the 16th century, Roger Ascham referred to the five points of shooting as "standinge, nockinge, drawinge, holdinge, lowsinge, whereby cometh fayre shootinge".

What sort of misinterpretation do you mean?

Last edited by Leoba on Wed 12 Jan , 2005 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
EdaintheRanger
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 12 Jan , 2005 8:07 pm
The Red Fox

Well as long as nobody actually says "fire your bows" in whatever language, be it English, Norman, or militarybabble, I'm satisfied. :mrgreen:

We need courage, faith and Chocolate Cake.

Profile Quote
Rholarowyn
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Jan , 2005 4:29 am

Leoba, remember Skippy of Gondor? He was heavily into Civil War reenactment for many years. The group he participated with were hired as extras for the movie Glory. His first shot at being in the movies and he got the coveted role of playing one of the many dead out on the field. He still tells stories of how he laid out there for hours playing dead and taking pictures.

Well I’m not into reenactment but I do like dressing up as a Gondorian Shieldmadien from time to time. Is that enough to let me participate in this thread? :mrgreen:

I didn’t consider this board to be Eurocentric either, residual thinking from my TORC days I guess. ;) Out of curiosity, just how many American members do we have? The ones that come to my mind are Eru, Guru, Vana, and myself.

And finally, didn't they say volly a few times in LOTR to the archers so they would release their arrows?

And the day came
When the risk to remain
Tight in a bud
Was more painful
Than the risk it to blossom

~Annais Nin~

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Jan , 2005 4:38 am

Americans on this board: Rho, me, Vana, Guru, Gimli, Alassante, LoR, AragornElessar(haven't seen him around for ages though), LilyRoseTook(absent), Holbytla, halplm, ellienor, Jnyusa, Axordil, and Ethel. That's 15...hey, we're a few more than I thought! I like that. Makes it feel more diverse, especially when you add the two Aussies and South African in...oh and a Canuk as well! :mrgreen:

Wish I could talk with rest of you about the reenactment stuff, but I'm just plain ignorant. :oops: It seems to be a lot of fun though! :)

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Rholarowyn
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Jan , 2005 4:44 am

Yes 15 out of 50 is a good healthy number. (I subtracted 8 from the members list for alter ego IDs.)

OK the one South African is Griff, and one of the aussies is Imp. Who is the other aussie and the one from Canuk?

And the day came
When the risk to remain
Tight in a bud
Was more painful

~Annais Nin~

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Jan , 2005 4:47 am

The other aussie is peeg I believe and *E* is the Canuk...though I can't help but think of her as an American. :roll: Sorry *E*! :P

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Rholarowyn
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Jan , 2005 4:50 am

Hey Eru are we spamming?

And the day came
When the risk to remain
Tight in a bud
Was more painful

~Annais Nin~

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Jan , 2005 4:54 am

Of course not! :Wooper:

:spam:

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Rholarowyn
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Jan , 2005 5:02 am

OK right...I didn't think so. I mean with you being the site admin and all, you would never do that now would you? :halo:

A :toast: to not spamming!

And the day came
When the risk to remain
Tight in a bud
Was more painful

~Annais Nin~

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Jan , 2005 11:39 am
Gloriosus

Leoba, I always took the Normans ( = ruling class in medieval Britain well nigh to the late 18th Century, when the French behaved strangely and it came out of fashion to speak that language at court) as French of some sort. But it may be that I'm as dumb as Viggo's pretty, at least on that context.
:oops:

With misinterpretation I meant the homophony of "loose" and "lose", which can be understood as an order not to win the battle.

Fire ... well, shoot. In my personal understanding of french I have translated "tirer", maybe originating from latin, as something like "to aim", which could mean that I am wrong or the French shoot before they aim (or simultaneously). "Shoot" and "Fire" are synonymous in terms of weaponry, with "shoot" lacking the special pyrotechnical aspect of igniting a musket or a gun, isn't that so?

What am I doing here? linguistics in two languages and their medieval ancestors? And me as clueless as two half loaves of bread?
:scratch

– – –

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Jan , 2005 12:16 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Tirer means shoot

Viser is aim.

Running into class.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Jan , 2005 2:29 pm
Gloriosus

Ah good, I am wrong. Was wrong.

– – –

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Jan , 2005 3:55 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Of course, it's all a moot point when the arrows are for torching a place...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 58 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Jump to: