board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Rent - The Movie

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 18 posts ]
Alatar
Post subject: Rent - The Movie
Posted: Thu 24 Nov , 2005 4:59 pm
of Vinyamar

Well the critics are certainly divided, but that's hardly news when it comes to film musicals. There's an inherent snobbery in a lot of these reviews that I refuse to take seriously.

So, I'll ask my other reviewers, you lot! Anyone seen it yet? What did you think?

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rent/

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Nov , 2005 6:38 pm
Wembley bound

Well I haven't seen it yet and I won't oay $10 to see a musical at the theatre.. I'll wait til it comes out on DVD.

I did read in the paper yesterday or today that they gave it 4 1/2 out of 5. As for Rotten Tomatoes, they are way too inconsistent to depend on them for any sort of rating...

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 25 Nov , 2005 6:59 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

I don't even know what it's about, but I'm interested in the musical aspect.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 25 Nov , 2005 8:11 pm
His Rosyness

I'm torn about whether to go see it..

..on the one hand, it's not a musical I've ever been that curious about, and I would be happy enough waiting to rent it. But on the other hand, I want to support musicals being made by Hollywood, and they have to do fairly well at the theatre for more to be made..

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 25 Nov , 2005 11:32 pm
of Vinyamar

Look at it this way Iavas, is it worth 2 hours and 10 bucks to you? It's not a hell of a lot. Support musicals! They're only just starting to find their feet in the Cinema again.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 26 Nov , 2005 5:44 pm
His Rosyness

Yes, you're right. I will try to go see it. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 26 Nov , 2005 6:02 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

My mom actually wants to see it, so I'll try and catch it this week!

*E*

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 26 Nov , 2005 6:34 pm

I want to see it very much! I saw a production of it at Penn State University, and loved it. :love: But no one in my family wants to see it at all, and I'm undecided as to whether or not I am willing to go and see it by myself as I dislike going to the theater by myself.

The stage production was very good and I like a lot of the songs. Actually, I've got the Broadway soundtrack playing in my car and I love it. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 27 Nov , 2005 3:02 am
Another bright red day

I saw it yesterday and loved it. I have a whole new apprecation for the original cast recording. I cannot wait to see it on stage and will probably be buying tickets as soon as I get back to school. It was very neat getting to see the original broadway cast, even though they're ten years older. I was dissapointed that they took out the sung voice mail messages, but over all it was a really good movie which I will probably be buying on DVD. Both of my parents loved it as well (which I was suprised at). The dialouge is clunky at times and transitions between songs are not always graceful, but the music and characters make easily make up for it. :)

Oh, and Anthony Rapp is one of my new favourite Broadway actors and I want a Mark outfit, because I like his style.

I wish I was Idina Menzel.

Last edited by MaidenOfTheShieldarm on Tue 29 Nov , 2005 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
prettyinpink
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Nov , 2005 8:22 am

Location: new jersey when I'm @ school and Boston when I'm at home

Well I have not seen the stage show so I can not rightfully say that it is a good adaption, BUT it is an EXCELLENT MOVIE!! I loved it!! :love: Idina Menzel, Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal :love: in particular!! I actually prefer Rosario Dawsons voice to the Original cast recording. I've been listening to the soundtrack and watching clips ever since I saw it. I highly reccomend it to everyone. For anyone who is unsure I would say try and appreciate the movie as a separate thing than the show. One doesn't have to be better than the other. A movie will never be the same as seeing it live. If you keep that in mind I think you will really enjoy yourself :D I sure did :cheers:

Last edited by prettyinpink on Fri 30 Dec , 2005 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

<3 Happy Valentines Day <3

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Nov , 2005 1:59 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Well we saw it yesterday. Estel can give a better appreciation of the movie since she saw the play several times - and with the original cast to boot. Also, at the time the play came out she lived just outside Alphabet City in NY. "This play defined my generation."

For me though, it was nicely done. It captured the resilience of people to AIDS and the grit and grime of the poverty side of New York, and I enjoyed the songs (which I had never heard before). The acting was top notch.

However, and this is my problem with musicals in general, when everyone bursts into song, all singing the same thing, it takes me out of suspended disbelief. Now when it is already set in a fantastical setting that's fine. But when it's get in dark and dirty 1989 New York, complete with poverty, disease and struggle, I have that problem. Dinosaurs rampaging the city, no problem. Even King Kong month, I'll *be* there in 1930-something seeing a 24 foot gorilla.

But with such a realistic setting and realistic stories, having them all sing, and sing wonderfully, I'm snapped back into my own reality knowing I'm in a theater watching a film.

But it was a film I enjoyed watching.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Dec , 2005 6:01 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

I saw it last night and I have to say I wasn't very impressed. There wasn't really anything in particular that I didn't like, it just seemed...uninspiring. I don't know why. It was, however, the first time I'd heard most of the music, I probably would have liked it more had I seen it onstage. Also, I'd never really heard anything about the plot before either. I think that many of the things the movie focused around (AIDS, poverty, the bohemian lifestyle) were different and original when the play first opened, but they've since become kind of redundant. I probably feel that way because I grew up knowing what AIDS was and not being afraid of it, knowing that it wasn't just homosexuals who got it, being exposed (albeit to an almost negligible extent) to the harshness of inner-city life. I can imagine that were I of a different generation it would have made more of an impact on me.

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 30 Dec , 2005 12:22 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

I admit, I was disappointed, but only because they seemed to have simply set the stage in the film. After seeing it on stage, the transplant didn't work for me.

If it had been a transition to film, rather than a transplant to film, I think it would've worked better, but as it was, it just seemed clunky. Still a great play - just could've been better worked for film.

Those who haven't seen it on stage would probably really enjoy it on film though.

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 30 Dec , 2005 12:43 am
Another bright red day

Estel, Lidless mentioned that you saw the OBC (JEALOUS! So jealous!). What did you think of the two non-original cast members? Daphne Rubin Vega has very unique voice. Was Rosario Dawson able to fill her shoes? Well not fill her shoes, but was she an adequate replacement? What about Tracie Thoms? Having seen the Producers on both Broadway and the new film, I know I wasn't impressed by the film, and thought that quite a few parts suffered in "adaptation." I only know one other person who saw the full original cast of Rent, so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts about any of it, cast, adaptation, etc. (I've never seen the stage show, though planning to as soon as I get back to New Joisy.) (I do hope you don't mind me asking all of these questions. I'm a complete theatre geek, so this stuff really interests me. Feel free to say "bugger off" if I'm being annoying.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Oct , 2007 10:00 am
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

I just watched Rent again for the gazillionth time this time I made my brother watch it and he was pleased. I love it so much!!!!

I just wish it would come to L.A. so I could see it on stage again.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Oct , 2007 3:58 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

:bawl:

I love this film...

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Oct , 2007 4:23 pm

I watched it once with mom and thought it was fine but the soundtrack has been amongst my top artists on last.fm for a long time now. :P I also tracked down solo records by a few of the actors. I really should see it again. :oops:

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 13 Oct , 2007 5:23 pm
of Vinyamar

I saw it on stage and film. Loved both. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 18 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment”
Jump to: