The Last Homely Site on the Web

So You Think You Can Dance

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 30 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Estel
Post subject: So You Think You Can Dance
Posted: Wed 31 May , 2006 6:39 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

I had to start a thread on this show, cause after watching the first season, I was really impressed.

It's made by the same people who did American Idol, except it's about dancing :P

The best thing about this season is, I think they got rid of the scary platic surgery monster they had as a host last year. I had to close my eyes every time she was on screen cause she was so scary. Seriously, she obviously had a nose job, cheekbone implants, face lift, eye lift, boob job and tummy tuck. Her boobs wouldn't have been so bad to look at, but during the show, one of her implants fell out of the boob pocket it was in, and she ended up with this line across one of her breasts. Very scary :Q The worst part about it is, she was beautiful before plastic surgery, and after plastic surgury she looks terrible. Why can't people just see how pretty they are naturally?

Anyway - the reason I like this show better than American Idol is that people who haven't had training, can't fake it. You know, watching, that almost every single contestant that makes it to the final 20 not only has talent, but has worked their ass off for years to get as good as they are. I also love watching what they manage to do with their bodies. The strength, flexibility, and balance required to do what these dancers do is absolutely incredible to think about.

Not all of the people on the show have necessarily had formal training, but even those that haven't have trained themselves for years to be able to move their bodies. The way that they are aware of even where a fingertip is supposed to be, let alone a limb or their torso.... And the fact that they have to be aware of every bit of their bodies every split second that they dance.... Serious talent.

The show basically takes the best of all types of dancers - from hip hop to ballet to jazz and gymnastics. The ones that make it to the final twenty pull the type of dance they will be performing each night, and have a week to train in that type of dance. You get hip hop dancers performing the waltz or lyric jazz, and ballet dancers performing hip hop and swing dancing. Who ever is the most wellrounded, and, despite only training in one or two types of dance, can perform all the genres of dance well, is the one who wins. The skill involved in seeing someone perform something well outside of their training, and doing it well, is simply amazing.

I reccomend this show to anyone and everyone, even if you don't like this type of television. It's almost impossible not to be astounded by the talent and training these people have.

The show is still on auditions right now - I think the main competition part of the show starts next week or the week after :)

Hope I can get some of you to watch it with me!!!!

Stella

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 01 Jun , 2006 4:40 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

I watched some of this with you last year, right?

Generally, I am not a fan of reality tv, but I might give this a try over the summer months in an attempt to avoid insanity. With the big empty space that b77 has become and my banning from another messageboard, I kind of have nothing to do. :uhoh:

If you promise to post, I will keep an eye out for this show and discuss it with you, Stella. ;) I definitely don't know anything about dancing, though. It all looks good to me!

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 01 Jun , 2006 5:50 am
Takoyaki is love

I watched some of the episode tonight. THe 6 step crew was pretty amazing!!!

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 01 Jun , 2006 2:54 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

That's a deal *E* :D

Wilma - yeah, that group is amazing. One of the guys who made it through to the final group last year was from the SickStep Crew, and, despite having no formal training, he was absolutely amazing. Those guys might not have the formal training that others do, but you can definitely tell that they train themselves really really well. They're all really funny too - it was great seeing the judges laughing at someone who was good because they invoked humour in their dancing, as opposed to just laughing at the people who sucked.

I wish I could find clips online of the auditions of the SickStep Crew - they were really amazing and I would love to watch them again.

Another show on tonight! More auditions :) I only wish that they would show less of the really good hip hoppers, and more of the really good ballet and lyrical dancers.

Edit: It helps for me to know the right name :roll: I thought it was the Six Step Crew, but it's actually the SickStep Crew

Last edited by Estel on Thu 01 Jun , 2006 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 01 Jun , 2006 3:01 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Estel wrote:
I wish I could find clips online of the auditions of the 6 Step Crew - they were really amazing and I would love to watch them again.
I could only find two results on YouTube, but are either of them what you're looking for?

http://youtube.com/results?search=6+ste ... rch=Search

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 01 Jun , 2006 3:11 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Try Sickstep Crew.

My son has had a serious crush on Cat Deeley, the new Brit presenter, for years.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 01 Jun , 2006 3:13 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Found it!!!

http://www.rickey.org/blog/2006/05/so_y ... aud_2.html

4th pic down is actually a video - watch it! :D Especially the last guy they show on the clip - he was hilariously funny :LMAO:

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 01 Jun , 2006 3:18 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Yup *E* - that was the clip :)

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 01 Jun , 2006 3:54 pm

Rickey's covering it? You're in good hands then, Estel! He did a kick-ass job with American Idol. A real life-saver. I've made some great discs out of the mp3's he's provided.

YouTube is another resource I'm enjoying lately. If you're looking for things that were on tv, it's safe to bet it'll show up there.

EDIT: just watched the videos and wow. The chick's reaction is pretty much what I do when crazy peeps are dancing. Can't help but laugh my head off and squeal with delight! It's all so cool. Is Jae watching this shit? Cuz I'm sure she'd love it. Anyhoo, loved the fourth guy. How are the rules set up? Because they said that one guy auditioned last year as well. :scratch: Project Runway also confused me because it had the same people on it for more than one season. Me lost.

Looking forward to this show. :) The control these guys have with their bodies is amazing.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 01 Jun , 2006 5:20 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

All of the guys in the SickStep Crew auditioned last year, but only one made it through to the final group.

This year is also different from last year in that they are sending some people straight through to Vegas - maybe it's cause the show has more money this year?

Last year, everyone who made it past the first audition had to do the choreography sessions where they whittled the group down further. Only the people who made it through the first audition and the choreography session made it to the next cut. This year, they're skipping requiring everyone doing the choreography - only the iffy people have to do that.

Some of the best dances from last seasons show linked below - I really recommend watching them :)

Nick and Melody do Disco

Blake McGrath audition last year

Jamile and Destini do Hip-Hop

Melissa and Ryan do the mambo <-- Ryan is the hip hopper from the SickStep Crew and never had any formal training in any kind of dance. You wouldn't know it from watching this :D

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 01 Jun , 2006 9:58 pm
Takoyaki is love

Those Sick Step crew guys were amazing!!!! *hypnotized*

I tried the mambo vid and it was "Forbidden"

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 01 Jun , 2006 10:06 pm

Holy crap, that's awesome! I generally hate this kind of show but I love dancing and damn those guys were good!

It's a small dream of mine to some day get some real, professional modern dancing classes. Maybe some day I'll have 2 or 3% of those guys' skill! :D

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 01 Jun , 2006 10:08 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

That mean you're going to watch the show with us Yova? :blackeye:

I would love to get more people watching it. The people who get through to the final 20 are all incredibly talented, and truly amazing to watch.

Wilma - try this link

http://www.rickey.org/blog/2005/08/so_y ... per_2.html

Then you can pick which videos you want to watch :)

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Jun , 2006 1:41 am

Sorry, I don't have a TV connection so no go for me.

eta: but the clips are way fun to watch!

Dancing is much harder to judge then singing so it'd be way harder to pick "bests" a la Idol, but from watching those last clips:

- Allan Frias should NOT be doing that kind of dancing; he looked awful.
- Snow and Ryan are instant favorites; their duo and their singles both were just fun to watch.

Who comes up with the choreography?

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Jun , 2006 2:12 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

The judges do :P

No seriously, the judges are also choreographers - there are five or six of them, and they rotate for each show - whoever choreographed dances, doesn't judge that night. They also have guest choreographers.

I just hope this year they don't make us vote for pairs rather than singles. It sucked last year, cause really good people would carry shitty people through, and really shitty people would drag good dancers out of the competition.

Yova - no need for a TV connection - the website I linked to has the new dances posted after each show, and you can skip over the useless bullshit ;)

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Jun , 2006 2:17 am

Quote:
the website I linked to has the new dances posted after each show, and you can skip over the useless bullshit
Damn! You don't mean that was all of the dance clips, do you? There was maaaaybe five minutes worth of dancing there in what I presume is a one hour show! Useless bullshit, indeed! Of course, the video quality is not the same so I'm probably losing a lot of the vibe, which is pretty dern crucial for this.

So, any favorites so far?

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Jun , 2006 3:40 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

They've narrowed it down to 121 contestants, of which they only showed about 6 of the good ones :roll:

It's still the audition phase where they show all the crappy funny people, and only a few of the good people. Next week will be far better :)

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Jun , 2006 4:04 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

There was one (ballet-type) dancer, forgotten her name, who went through, and I can only describe her as the Katherine McPhee of the competition so far.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Jun , 2006 9:20 am
Takoyaki is love

Who is Katherine McPhee?

I watched last nights ep and I agree with Estel I would have liked to have seen people do something other then hip hop.

I find it very interesting that there are so many low quality dance instructors in the US. Talk about those poor deluded students. I wonder what qualifications it takes to be considered a qualified dance instructor. That poor girl who has been training since she was 3. :nono: Not to mention all those who claim to be teachers and those teacher wannabes. :nono:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Jun , 2006 3:17 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Katherine McPhee was the runner up on American Idol. Steve is referring to this other chic as her cause she was really pretty, had smokey eyes, and big tits :roll: :P

Yeah, I felt really bad for that girl last night. Just goes to show you what good training does and what bad training doesn't.

I had a really good teacher when I was in ballet - 15 years of training, and she still wouldn't put me, or any of the other girls in my class on point. She had the opinion that you had to do everything off point as well as a professional would do it before you could start training on point. But then, almost every single one of her students went on to be professional dancers with various companies around the world.

It's difficult for kids to have a teacher like that though. It's only when you get older that you realize that some of the best teachers are the ones who are good hearted, but also anal retentive bitches :P

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 30 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: