Music videos and movies

Post Reply   Page 1 of 12  [ 230 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 512 »
Wilma
Post subject: Music videos and movies
Posted: Thu 22 Dec , 2005 7:41 pm
Takoyaki is love

*Long monster post, you can skip the smaller writing if you wish*
I had been wanting to start a thread on music videos for some time but I was kind of afraid to since sometimes I find people view videos as something quite superfluous.

One day I saw a video that I felt was a bit disturbing. The song is You’re Beautiful by this singer called James Blunt. I was quite surprised at the end when he jumps off a cliff. I then talked on IM to Mossy about since I was in a ‘mood’ about it. Particularly since I couldn’t find anything that acknowledged in some way that this video is about suicide to a degree. *rant rant rant to Mossy*. Since I was studying for exams late at night sometimes I watch music videos since it seems they are the only thing on that late. I kept running into that one. Such a lovely song with such a ‘different’ music video to accompany it (not to mention for a debut artist). Sometimes I find that if something is bothering me I need to research it. So that is what did. I then ended up finding this site. It’s a site which profiles directors for a particular media company. I didn’t even know sites like this existed!!! I never really thought about the thought process behind directors and music videos before. I then ended up checking out Sam Brown's (The director of the cliff jumping video ) other video work. Hearing some of his thoughts and concepts on videos I was like cool!! I never would have thought of that. I also heard his explanation of the concept of the You’re beautiful video and it made me feel a little bit better about it. I also checked out this Sam Brown’s other work for the song called High since I knew there was a European version of that video for that particular song and it had alcohol induced visions (I remember the singer being buried in sand, some vodka , a desert and some other really messed up things.) It was an OK video but I find sometimes being literal or obvious may not be the best route to go with these sort of things .(Sometimes obvious can be really boring, although it does take me a while to figure out symbolism. You would not believe how long it took me to figure out that the TV show Buffy The Vampire Slayer was about a teenage girl growing up and fighting her demons :oops: ). Anyway Sam Brown had said he wanted 2 different videos for High running concurrently, one for the verses and one for the choruses. I thought it was a fascinating reinterpretation of the same song. I never would have thought of that. I found myself really liking Sam Brown’s style of doing things, simple and understated. I looked at a video of his that featured the actress Mischa Barton and she’s a pretty girl. He made her look even prettier.

* Above was a long boring introduction on how I go to the subject of movies and music videos*

So anyway I am talking to Mossy about how I never knew about websites like profiled directors and their music videos. I ended up commenting on how Michel Gondry (director of the movie of Eternal Sunshine if the Spotless mind.) had done music videos. I had heard about it from an interview with Elijah Wood, but I had never thought about the videos Gondry actually had done. If anyone has seen Eternal Sunshine you can see Gondry uses quite a bit of experimental and in house techniques in the movie. :love: Also, I had recently seen a band basically imitate the poster shot from the movie as a concept for their music video (the couple lying down on the ice) It was like video to movie to video.

I then thought how do directors first get directing oppourtunities? I mean they don’t just instantly get a movie deal from nothing. Music videos would be a perfect way to try creative and experimental stuff in a 5 minute format with music. I decided to look up some of Gondry’s videos, I then find out he did some really cool and fabulous stuff!!
So anyway Mossy and I checked out some videos by Michel Gondry.
Kylie Minogue come in to my World. (I watched carefully and noticed even the extras have the same ‘effect’ that Kylie has). Just like with Eternal Sunshine I want to know how Gondry did it!!! No one bumps into each other!
http://music.aol.com/artist/main.adp?artistid=4921#
Scroll down a bit and click on : ‘ Watch the 'Come Into My World' video’

The White Stripes –Fell In love with a girl. A music video made with Legos. I have only seen this video a couple of times and I always thought why the heck would anyone use lego for a music video? Where does that outside of the box idea come from? (Not to mention I felt sorry for the lego person who had to build all those pieces).
Quote:
"The White Stripes music is so basic - drum, guitars and voice - so I thought using three primary colors worked. I thought the crudeness of Lego would represent them well," says Gondry.
Linky

I never would have thought of that, but now with that explanation it makes total sense! He found the perfect way to visually represent the band's music. Like Mossy had said (in our chat), it’s like magic!!!!!

The third video is with the White stripes again with the song, The hardest button to button
I feel sorry for whoever had to carry all of that stuff. But it's really cool!!

For some reason knowing that Gondry did all these cool and creative videos make me appreciate his movie work even more. I now really appreciate music videos as a way for new directors to get started and open more avenues of creativity for visual entertainment. I really like the idea of collaboration and different ideas for the same song coming into play. Now I kind of think of music videos as companions to the music just like Soundtracks are companions to movies, rather then thinking of them just as advertisements.

Also, when I was reading up on this subject I came across a DVD series called the Directors Label series. Which features work of music video directors. (They have now reached volume 7, I already know what I want for Christmas next year ;) ).

So I wanted to ask what do my fellow board members think of music videos? Does anyone think they influence movie making? Even making movies better? What do you think of music videos as a genre on it’s own? I have used more pop music and current examples in my post, but I do know classical music videos exist (although I never catch them). So basically what my post is about is I would like to open a discussion on music videos and how they influence other forms of visual entertainment.

To finish off this post, one of my favourite videos. :love: Scroll down a bit and click on 'Rabbit in Your Headlights'.

Last edited by Wilma on Thu 22 Dec , 2005 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 22 Dec , 2005 7:51 pm

"The Fell in Love with a girl" video is a classic. Brilliant!

I just recently saw the Hardest Button video and I was literally jumping and laughing giddily over how cool the damn thing was! It adds this awesome energy to the already energetic music. Very cool stuff. :)

I'll mention some of my favorite videos later.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 23 Dec , 2005 11:40 pm
Takoyaki is love

I just found a cool one he did for the Chemical brother's I will probably find a link for it later.

I had noticed that the last shot for 'Rabbit in your headlights' was imitated in the movie Constantine.

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
S_O
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 28 Dec , 2005 2:19 pm
I love lamp!

The director who did the White Stripes' video also did an amazing video for Daft Punk's "Around the World." I found the video in so-so quality once a while ago, lost the link, and have been unable to find it again. If I can find it, I'll post the video.

Another amazing video director is Spike Jonze who did the Fatboy Slim's "Weapon of Choice" with Christopher Walken. :love:

[ img ]
Thank you Isabel!! :hug: :love:

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 28 Dec , 2005 6:11 pm
Takoyaki is love

I'll search for links for that. I have done a little research of some really really coll vids!!!! Thank You for posting S_O. There such fabulous vids out there!!! Eventally I will try and get some screen caps up for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind. I was really surprised by the movie Constantine when they put that shot in the begining. (Totally different context though, not really uplifting.)

I also need to search out some other directors that have made movies!!!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
S_O
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 29 Dec , 2005 2:12 pm
I love lamp!

I know Spike Jonze has directed a few movies (acted in a couple too, but the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Three Kings). There's also the guy who directed The Cell, he did videos before movies. I'm trying to think of who else has directed videos and movies, but I'm blanking right now. If I think of anyone else I'll let you know. :)

[ img ]
Thank you Isabel!! :hug: :love:

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 29 Dec , 2005 3:33 pm
Daydream Believer

Wilma,

I found James Blunts video a bit disturbing also, I love the song. As for White Strips....my son is in luuuuuv Meg.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 29 Dec , 2005 6:31 pm
Daydream Believer

http://www.fanscape.com/artists.aspx?ge ... JAMESBLUNT

hope this works...heres the link to the video.

My daughter has bugged me for a while to go buy his CD, I kept putting it off, but the more I hear of his stuff the more I like it. This song is so eerily beautiful and the video is gut-wrentchingly sad.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 30 Dec , 2005 2:09 am
Takoyaki is love

Actually the director has links to full videos of his here You can see a whole bunch of his stuff.

My sis bought me the CD and just listening to the song (You're Beautiful) I don't think of jumping off a cliff. From the link in the first post the director expains sort how he got to the idea of jumping off a cliff but that is kind of a stretch to me. I guess I'll never be a director. ;)

I used to catch the video half way through and I would always be confused. My first thoughts were 'What the heck is that guy doing?' My next thought always is 'dang, that guy looks insane!!!!' The only time people take off their clothes in the winter her e is for a Polar bear run. But I always thought since since I didn't catch it from the begining that is why it didn't make sense to me. Then I caught it from the begining and well I felt even a little more disturbed. :shock: I did not even know jumpers removed their clothes before jumping. But then there are different perspectives. The person who comes in to help my sister saw it and she was just impressed that the singer did the jump himself. :scratch: :help: But ultimately the video did it's job. It got me watching and listening (eventually). Usually I am not a big fan of shocking people with videos but in this case it works. Although it is better then having a video so long and boring that one does not remember the song(Green Day, I'm looking at you, I want those 9 minutes of my life back!)
I am quite glad it got me thinking though. :) (There is also that High video I mentioned on one of those pages in the link I gave).

I just found a director who has just started out in movies. Steve Mills. He just directed his first movie called Thumbsucker. Has quite a few recognizable names. Tilda Swinton ( :love: ),Vincent D'Onofrio and Keanu Reeves. I'll be looking up his videos soon.

*Goes off to make screen caps*

EDIT: I have just discovered the DVD decoder does not work on my computer so the screencaps might be while. :oops:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 May , 2006 5:54 pm
Takoyaki is love

Bumpity.

I was going to make a long drawn out post on some brainy artsy stuff but with my arm being the way it is I am going to make shorter posts and post some of my fav vids. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 May , 2006 7:45 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

You should get a webcam and then do video blogs. Those are fun. :D

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 May , 2006 8:45 pm
Takoyaki is love

Although this video has nothing to do with moviees I just like it.
It's for the group Sigur Ros. I think it fits perfectly with the song.

Enjoy!!

Don't want to spoil so I will discuss in other posts. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Sep , 2006 4:01 pm

Since Wilma just brought this up, I thought I'd bump.

I didn't notice you'd posted a Sigur Ros vid.
*sw0000n*
I loooooooooooove that song and, oh my, what a wonderful video. :love:

Here is my all-time favorite video. It's subtle, subdued, and atmospheric, yet achingly beautiful. It's for Radiohead's Pyramid Song, one of Radiohead's very best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmCqKq1kCtc

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Oct , 2006 10:59 pm

This is one of the best vids I've ever seen. Creeped the hell outta me first time I saw it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=617ANIA5Rqs

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Oct , 2006 11:15 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Do you get creeped out easily? :P

I feel so bad for neglecting this thread because the first time Wilma talked about it, there were so many videos from my youth that I'd love to discuss with people. Actually, the more likely situation is that I name my favorites and folks can just politely nod their heads. ;) But seriously, I've been making a list of my all-time favorites and it is much harder than expected. #1 and #2 are sure bets, but everything else ranges from sentimental attachment to creative to atmospheric to funny. They certainly have their charms, and I wouldn't argue with that, but I'm not sure if that makes them the best. Couldn't hurt, anyway.

I was inspired by a recent magazine article (though it was posted online and therefore included You Tube links to all the vids) that listed the 100 best music videos ever. It was a nice read, better watch. Could only come up with 20 myself, but hey, there's room for a memory jog.

I say all this because I still intend to write something up for this thread, I just didn't want to do a half-arsed job. So let me think about it, what I want to say about these videos, and I'll get back eventually. :)

Cheers!

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 14 Oct , 2006 1:24 am

*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* wrote:
Do you get creeped out easily? :P
No, but head-biting birds, blood rains, trembling S&M creatures and singing decapitated mouths can have that effect on me. :P

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 14 Oct , 2006 1:47 am

Aww, but it's so cute-looking! ;)

Pink Floyd's "The Wall" now, there's an animated video that makes my skin crawl.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 14 Oct , 2006 12:25 pm
of Vinyamar

Funny you should mentiuon that. I was just about to post this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05waz6p44yI

Its from the movie, so not a Music Video as such, but still, pretty powerful stuff.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Nov , 2006 3:26 am

In honor of the ending of recent concert extravanganze, I'm posting a video for each of the bands I saw in the last three weeks (that I could find a video for):

Man Man

Jenny Lewis

Tapes 'n Tapes

Broken Social Scene

Gonna give BSS the best vid cuz it's really sweet, though I like the Tapes 'n Tapes one a lot.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Dec , 2006 8:26 pm

I'm not much of a Death Cab fan, but this is, like, the prettiest song ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s2hPkTT1lA

:bawl:

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 12  [ 230 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 512 »
Jump to: