board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Music videos and movies

Post Reply   Page 6 of 12  [ 230 posts ]
Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 812 »
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 25 Jul , 2007 3:21 pm

Oof. This video is really intense and it's creepy as hell.
(Note: has some non-sexual nudity)

Liars: "Plaster Casts of Everything"

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 10 Aug , 2007 9:53 pm

This is a new video for beirut's old song Postcards From Italy. Comprised mainly of simple moments, old video of lives lived, the effect is gently sweet and touching.

http://pitchforkmedia.imeem.com/video/X ... rom_italy/

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 10 Aug , 2007 10:05 pm

Oh what the heck. And as a bonus, here is a recently released official live video from a flaming lips concert. This might give you a small glimpse into why that concert was not only by far the best concert I've been too, but also one of the most purely beautiful moments of my life. Check out that long shot around the 2 minute mark in particular to see the full joygasm of it all.

The Flaming Lips – Race For The prize

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 10 Aug , 2007 10:43 pm
of Vinyamar

Ok, yova, I watched that last clip and obviously I'm missing something. The band sound decent enough, if uninspired, but the singer is just brutal. He wasn't even in tune with himself, never mind the band.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 11 Aug , 2007 12:07 am

Yeah, he's an awful singer. :D The funny thing is, he was actually much better than I was expecting him to be in the concert I went to. (On the albums, while still not a "good" singer, he does at least hit the notes.)But, well, despite his difficulty hitting the note, I still love him as a singer. There are for me other qualities that are far more important than mere technical abilities (see bob Dylan for classic example of that). But anyway, even if you don't like him or even their music, that's not really the point of putting up that clip. It's the wildly exuberant sense of joy that pervades their live show that makes it so special. I swear, when you're there, those canons feel like they're actually filled with a love not stupid confetti. When compared with his ability to convey a sense of love for life and for each other, his inability to hit the note becomes trivial.

:love:

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Aug , 2007 12:16 am

Do you love videos with creepy interspecies love stories? Then you will love the new video by the perpetually strange Animal Collective!

Animal Collective: "Peacebone"

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Aug , 2007 6:14 pm

Oh, I really liked this video. Very watchable in an odd way.
One thing I've noticed is a growing popularity in one-shot music videos. I like the effect.
The song has icy-pop vibe that reminds me of Imogen Heap. Cool:

Bat for Lashes: "What's a Girl to Do"

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Aug , 2007 7:08 pm
Same as it ever was

Errr, no, I did not like either of those two videos.

The first one I could not listen to, that sing songy background music just grated on me, and the jumpy flashy camera action made it hard to watch as well.

The second one was okay musically wise, but I could make no sense out of the Halloween and Donny Darko allusions, nor the point of riding the bikes.

I do not look for great depth in music videos much nowadays, unless it has really great lyrics and a wonderful music track to back it all up. In other words, I could care less about the videos...

Actually, both of them I found disturbing because they had that same dysfunctional quality that I have when I have "my icky dreams" nights - those bizarro ones that when I awake, I felt like I just came off of a bad experience with hallucinogens or sumptin. Not that I have or anything, but my subconscious mind plays cruel and puzzling games with me sometimes.

:blackeye: :blackeye: :oops: :oops:

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Aug , 2007 7:14 pm

The Watcher wrote:
Actually, both of them I found disturbing because they had that same dysfunctional quality that I have when I have "my icky dreams" nights - those bizarro ones that when I awake, I felt like I just came off of a bad experience with hallucinogens or sumptin. Not that I have or anything, but my subconscious mind plays cruel and puzzling games with me sometimes.

:blackeye: :blackeye: :oops: :oops:
I would imagine the directors would take that as a great compliment. Clearly they are both supposed to have dark, vaguely nightmarish qualities.
In an interesting way, videos like those play the same role that soundtracks do in movies. But in these cases, the videos "soundtrack" the music, highlighting and emphasing the qualities the director is looking for - in this case a sense of tense foreboding.

In movies, music can set the tone for the scene. In music videos, the scene can set the tone for the music.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Aug , 2007 6:10 pm

Seems my plug didn't work. :blackeye:
Oh well, ya'lls loss, cuz this video is guaranteed to make you smile (unless you have a cold black heart :P):
Rock Plaza Central - My Children Be Joyful

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Sep , 2007 5:32 pm

This is one of the most original videos I've seen in a while. A beautifully done CGI short featuring a dark tale of the birds vs the bees. Check it out:

Menomena: "Evil Bee"

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Apr , 2008 6:38 pm
Takoyaki is love

OK I though I would bump up this thread since I was stunned to see Hedly doing sort or a remake /homage (?) video with their song Never Too Late. They copy the Duran Duran video for Rio!!! I saw it and I don't know whether to think of it as a homage or not. All I really thought was sacrilige!!! They even did the cheeky wink. I should point out here that I really don't like Hedley

Rio by Duran Duran (looking at it now that was pretty racy)

Hedley's Never too late Also I think the song does not go with the concept of the vid. Ugh.

:scratch: :help:

Also since Fiest won 5 Juno's on Sunday I thought I would post a couple of Feist vids I really really like.

Mushaboom
I like how she is flying in the air and a lady keeps trying to pull her down. Ain't that the way life goes. I also really really really like the houseplant at the end, it's so cute.

Feel it All
Feist frolicking around in a field of fireworks. It looks so cute and care free but was probabaly really dangerous. Especially since it looks like it was all done in one shot. There had to be some sort of planning or choreography there.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 Apr , 2008 10:49 pm

This is one seriously strange, beautiful video:

http://www.pitchfork.tv/videos/bjork-wanderlust

ps - Bjork is weird ;)

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 26 Apr , 2008 10:35 pm
Takoyaki is love

The song is interesting and the video is really weird, but cool. I am glad I watched it.
Thanks Yovi

I thought I would post this video, it's absolutely hilarious
Kalan Porter - Hurray
Hobbit boy and Grandma battle it out Scrabble style!!

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 27 Apr , 2008 12:27 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

I really liked that - very cool.

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Apr , 2008 1:35 am

I have to watch it again....I've watched it like, 20 times since you gave it to me last night, Wilma...

I love it too much. :D

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject: Re: Music videos and movies
Posted: Wed 21 Jan , 2009 1:54 am

Really cute new video from Coldplay. :D

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Posted: Wed 21 Jan , 2009 2:30 am

It's well done, but the puppets kind of freak me out... :suspicious:

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 1:11 pm
Takoyaki is love

OMG I love it!!
I love the WTF looks on everyone's faces and the crowd surfing!!!! :damnfunny:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Thu 08 Oct , 2009 4:25 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

I'm kind of blown away by this video...

http://www.shockhound.com/videos/750-ia ... ret-friend

First off, I didn't know that IAMX and Imogen Heap had worked together, but wow that's a perfect idea. Second, the video is stunning to look at. Actually, in general, it is candy for the senses because I was drawn in right away by the clear sound of raindrops. Third, words can't describe how hot Imogen looks in drag. I really wish Sidonzo was here, I'd love her opinion on some of the pretty boy / androgynous ladies I am fawning over these days. :P Fourth, it took me a minute, but I did come to love the track's beat.

Ugh, so good. I keep watching it over and over again! I love sexy dark stuff like that sometimes. Hmmm... operation: mixed tape of sexy dark muzak 4 Nelly is now a top priority again. :blackeye:

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 6 of 12  [ 230 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 812 »
Jump to: