board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Music club

Post Reply   Page 4 of 6  [ 108 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Dec , 2006 5:26 pm

I don't like Christine - she did give in.

And I'm against the stereotypes 100% as well. Definitely the opposite of what is expected of a girl

But, we are osgilliating the thread.

Back to music.

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 30 Dec , 2006 8:56 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Just thought I would write a few things about these two songs I'm in love with. Also because I was able to do some detective work on them and that is always fun to describe. :D

So I've downloaded zillions of songs since joining Last.fm in the fall and some of them were by Imogen Heap. I loved the tune she wrote for THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA (it just got a Grammy nomination, holla!) and had to check out other works, which lead me to the album she did as part of a band called Frou Frou. One of the songs, I recognized from a Movie Network commercial that's aired constantly up here in Canada ("Beauty in the Breakdown") and it's fine, but what really blew me away was "Hear Me Out". It of course has it's own merits, but I was drawn to it because they sampled a gorgeous piece of music from 28 DAYS LATER, a film I hold in high regard. (You can hear it in the trailer at about 1:30.) In the past two months, probably 60% of the music I play is either "Hear Me Out", or "Casimir Pulaski Day" by Sufjan Stevens. Can't get enough of either of 'em. :D

Last night I was surfing around and thought "hey, I love Frou Frou so much... let's see the original song it's inspired by." Unfortunately, for some reason, everybody on YouTube and the IMDB messageboards pegged the trailer music as Gabriel Fauré's "In Paradisum", which was also in the film, but not the piece from the trailer. Once I finally got another suggestion, "An Ending (Ascent)" by Brian Eno, and was able to confirm it by listening to clips on Amazon.com, I discovered that my file-sharing program had no copies. :bawl: At least Eno seems to be pretty popular on YouTube, and someone made a video including the song. Yay! While I'd prefer a hard copy for my CD player, I'm happy to have any copy of it at all.

For the enjoyment of anyone who's interested (which may be just yov, or Elian, because I know she loves Imogen), :cool: here is Brian Eno's original: And Frou Frou's version: Damn good job by each of them. I ams impressed. :Wooper:

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 30 Dec , 2006 8:03 pm

"Beauty in The Breakdown" is actually "Let Go". here's a piano solo version of it http://www.box.net/public/guhesz63j5

:P

But yes, Imogean Heap & Frou Frou are awesome.........Her voice is almost etheral. It blows me away.

It blew me away when I watched Narnia in theaters and stayed for the credits. Man....that was a totally breathtaking audio experience.

Sufjan Stevens is an artist that I love too. I was introduced to him by a special done by NPR 'cause he wrote a song about the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker. It's a lovely song. :)

Since we're talking about favorite musicians I want to bring some of mine up. :D

http://www.box.net/public/b9r5kgzogk << This is the song I've been listening to since it appeared on my podcast list on the 19th. It almost totally describes how holidays are in my household - whether or not Mom's parents are here. :rage: I don't have any other music by them....but I like them a lot.

http://www.myspace.com/badpunchline <<A band from Germany that sings in English. Awesome music. Especially 'sterilized' and 'World View'. Their songs aren't available for download anymore...they were. I have them. :) I guess if anyone's interested I could get them to you somehow.

I guess that's enough for now. I've got to go.

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 08 Jan , 2007 11:07 pm

Holy crap, how can you not love this band?????????

Beirut: Elephant Gun

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 18 Jan , 2007 2:55 pm

Huzzah! More unique, interesting music nobody's going to bother listening to! :P

Menomena - Wet and Rusting

Just got this band's debut album yesterday and it's very uniquely beautiful. This song is often their second album which I now want really badly.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 19 Jan , 2007 12:56 am

So does anyone ever listen to this stuff? Oh well, it's not gonna stop me from posting. :P

I just got the new Decemberists album and...I just don't understand how anyone could not like them. Seriously, HOW??? My expectations weren't very high for the album but I just hear the whole thing and holy moly it's wonderful. So, if any of you have tried these guys before (*cough*Elian*cough*), please give 'em one more try and check out this song of the new album:

O Valencia!

Profile Quote
Elian
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 19 Jan , 2007 1:20 am
Let the dice fly.

I like the song...it's good. I just don't like the voice. :P It's oddly...flat.

And hasn't The Crane Wife been out for like, months? You're behind the times here, yov! ;)

What does it take
to stop getting carried away
by the force of my love...

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 19 Jan , 2007 2:05 am

Yes it has and yes I am but if I bought every album I want when it came out, I'd need to get a second job. :P

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 19 Jan , 2007 1:59 pm
Everything Is Numb

I REALLY liked those last two songs you posted, yov. And I do listen to the music you post, but if I don't respond that means I didn't like it but didn't want to post that in the thread. :P That is the first song I've heard by The Decemberists though I have heard them mentioned quite a lot. I thought I'd probably like them and I did like that song. I'll have to check out some more by them.

~Sid

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 19 Jan , 2007 2:04 pm

Cool, thanks, Sid! :) Not like it stops me from posting but it's nice to know somebody is around. :P
Quote:
I REALLY liked those last two songs you posted, yov.
You mean the Menomena and Decemberists songs?

Last edited by yovargas on Fri 19 Jan , 2007 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 19 Jan , 2007 2:05 pm
Everything Is Numb

Quote:
Yep! :D Though I have no idea who the hell Menomena is!

~Sid

Profile Quote
Lily Rose
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 19 Jan , 2007 2:13 pm
stranded in dreamland

I really liked the Decembrist's song, but I wasn't too crazy about the Menomena song.

I don't have faith in faith
I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 19 Jan , 2007 2:35 pm

Sidonzo wrote:
Quote:
Yep! :D Though I have no idea who the hell Menomena is!

~Sid
Cool! Menomena is a very obscure band, though, so no expectations of anyone to know them.

My idea with this thread was always that it shouldn't necessarily be about posting stuff you really like but posting stuff that was fairly unique and interesting, stuff that doesn't really fit any norm. That's why I posted the Menomena song and the Beirut song above it. (The Decemberists song, while good, doesn't quite fit that criteria.)

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 19 Jan , 2007 2:42 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

I posted a song. I don't think it's that well known, but its old, so it's probably not as known as it used to be.

Unless that was somewhere else, in which case I'll repost it here. :P

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 19 Jan , 2007 2:48 pm

I don't see any songs from you here, E. :scratch:

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 19 Jan , 2007 3:14 pm

Well, sniffles. As it turns out, it's the second post on this page :P and I went to the trouble of making shout-outs to Sufjan and yov, but I guess it still wasn't good enough to get your attention! :bawl:

I tease. Like I said, it might have shown up in another thread because there are a couple of music threads here and I don't post in any of them as much as I should. But there are indeed a couple of links up there if you want. No expectations, I just felt like sharing them.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 19 Jan , 2007 3:26 pm

Oh, yeah, damn. I don't know how I missed that. :oops: I'll listen to 'em later today and post some thoughts!

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 19 Jan , 2007 4:06 pm

It's okay, goofball. I have to listen to the links provided as well anyway.

I will take the opportunity to reply to Dawn, though (sorreh!) and say thanks for the correct song name. I just go by what they download as, but sometimes people title them based on a line from the chorus and not it's actual name. "In the Middle" by Jimmy Eat World is sometimes listed as "It Just Takes Some Time". Unless I know the tune, it gets wrongly titled. Who knows how many wrong names I have in here. :P

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 20 Jan , 2007 3:56 pm

To Sid and anyone else who perhaps liked that Menomena song I posted, it's off their new upcoming album. They've put the full album streaming online so if you're curious, you can listen to the whole thing right now here:

http://barsukmusic.blaireau.net/menomena/

I'm listening to it right now and am amazed. These guys have done three albums and each one is completely different yet enormously creative. Highly recommended.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 19 Feb , 2007 6:45 am

First off, I haven't read through the thread yet but hope to get around to that eventually. Was just looking for music links.
yovargas wrote:
I've had this song stuck in my head for weeks now and I thought I'd get others take on it. It's called "Postcards from Italy" and can be heard here:

http://myspace.com/beruit
It sort of sound like "Chicago" because of the (french horns?) and the lad's voice is similar to Rufus Wainwright, in that whole droney, whiny sort of way. I sort of like the "Mount Wroclai" tune, though. Was sold on the beginning, but the rest is quickly growing on me.
TWT wrote:
Heroes Del Silencio have long been my favorite band.
Only one of the videos still work. It took me a minute to get into it and this isn't really my thing, but not bad. The chorus sounds nice.
Dawnnamira wrote:
"Beauty in The Breakdown" is actually "Let Go". here's a piano solo version of it http://www.box.net/public/guhesz63j5
Cheers, Dawn. I liked that. It was nice to hear her pure voice, as I'm used to it with electronics and music involved. And "Come With Me" by Bad Punchline was kind of neat. That electronic voice was fun.
yovargas wrote:
Huzzah! More unique, interesting music nobody's going to bother listening to! :P

Menomena - Wet and Rusting
Hm. The vocals remind me of Simon and Garfunkel while the music is a cross between The Go Team and "Just A Thought" by Gnarls Barkley. I'll definitely give this another spin.

EDIT: okay, some of my own recommendations. I guess if we're talking about unique or lesser-known acts, you need to have some awareness of their popularity. Which I don't. :P Anouk popped up on last.fm radio, so I downloaded a bunch of tunes and lurved them all immediately. This chick rocks. My favorite song is "One Word", which you can listen to on YouTube here. Then there's Nobody's Wife and Jerusalem.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 6  [ 108 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: