board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Attend the tale of Sweeney Todd!

Post Reply   Page 1 of 17  [ 324 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 517 »
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject: Attend the tale of Sweeney Todd!
Posted: Sat 21 Oct , 2006 3:11 am
Another bright red day

Ever since seeing the John Doyle revival of Sweeney Todd a month and a half ago, I've been a bit obsessed with the show. I'd heard rumours of a Sweeney movie before, but then I became really vested in the idea. It's only recently that they've made concrete casting choices, and interesting ones at that.

Johnny Depp will be playing the Demon Barber himself.
Sacha Baron Cohen is rumoured to be cast as Pirelli.
Helena Bonham Carter was just cast as Mrs. Lovett, purveyor of meat pies extraordinaire.

Tim Burton, of course, is directing.

Tim Burton, great. I think he has just the right sense of humour for this show. Johnny Depp has so far been able to pull off anything and everything, and again, I think he has the right sensibility for Sweeney. The question being . . . can he sing? Sondheim allegedly okayed him, but I remain skeptical. Acting-wise, however, he'll be fine. I know nothing about Cohen, leaving us with Helena Bonham Carter.

I have one word to say about that choice. Ugh. I was skeptical about Patti LuPone taking that role after Angela Lansbury's brilliant and hilarious cute-but-psychotic portrayal in the original cast. Patti (see sig) was creepy, sinister, and just kind of brilliant. She made the role entirely her own and cast Mrs Lovett in a completely different light. Helena Bonham Carter, though, doesn't seem . . . solid enough. Also, judging solely by Coprse Bride, her voice just doesn't fit. To sum up: I don't see it.

Still, I'll reserve judgement until I actually see it up there on screen.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 Oct , 2006 3:23 am
Seeking Wimbledon

Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

I've heard that Burton's composer of choice, Danny Elfman, will not be doing any re-arranging or writing...

That's all I know about this. Unless you want me to hum The Ballad of Sweeney Todd. Which I could do. :D

ttbk

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 Oct , 2006 1:17 pm

I've heard of this guy/thing before, but I don't know anything about it.

Does someone want to fill me in?

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 Oct , 2006 4:36 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

I want to hear Mossy's answer for that as well. :) But I just so happened to have read the first act on Wikipedia last night and whoa nelly! Really want to see this thing. Preferably the musical, but we'll see which happens first: I get to it, or the movie plays in my town.

:roll:

I only knew about the murdering barber aspect because of the final moments in JERSEY GIRL where the main characters re-enact one of the musical numbers. Now, I still think it's a bummer that he decides to kill just anyone, but I can see where the guy's coming from. I'll try not to read the rest of the entry and be surprised. :D But I'm hooked for sure.

Helena Bonham Carter just rubs me the wrong way because not only did she split up Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh, but then she split up Lisa Marie from Tim Burton. And I know he's not the first person in Hollywood to cast all his girlfriends in lead roles, but I still think it's annoying.

Mossy, have you ever seen FIGHT CLUB? Maybe check it out some time before Sweeney's released and you can get a feel for Carter's ability (or lack of one) to play slightly immoral characters who are rough around the edges. It's the closest comparison you can make, I think, as her other roles are delicate flowers and period pieces.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 Oct , 2006 5:34 pm
Another bright red day

Plot spoilers contained here in!

Dawn and *E*, the basic plot is that Sweeney Todd is a serial killing barber and his lover, Mrs Lovett, bakes the corpses into meat pies.

Sweeney comes back to London 15 years after being deported wrongfully by a Judge who wants Sweeney's wife only to be in formed that his wife is dead and his daughter is the ward of the same Judge, who know also plans to marry her. His neighbors, Mrs. Lovett, who "always had a fondness for you, I did," takes him in, gives him his razors, and helps him set up shop abover her meat pie shop. She makes "the worst pies in London," and business really does need a lift. Sweeney concocts his plan to slit the Judge's throat, and thus begins the show. Along the way, he kills someone else who gets in his path, and thus begins the meat pie scheme. There's also the subplot of Johanna, Sweeney's daughter, who falls in love with Anthony, the sailor who rescued Sweeney.

End spoilers.

It's kind of complicated, I guess. There's a lot more to it than that, but I'm trying to sum up and not give everything away. It's a brilliant show by a brilliant man -- Sondheim's best, I'd say. (Which is why, ttbk, I don't see why they need Elfman at all. He's a good composer, but they've got Sondeim. What more do you need?) It's dark and twisted and bloody and at times hilarious.

*E*, if you'd like to see a version of the show before the movie, there's a DVD out there of the 1982 tour with Angela Lansbury, the original Mrs Lovett, and George Hearn, who is one of the best Sweeneys out there.

I haven't seen Fight Club. I've always been kind of interested to, and now I have even more impetus to do so. *adds to the list*

(I hope that post actually answered the others instead of just being filled with fangirling. If not, feel free to whack me with a meat pie.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 Oct , 2006 6:09 pm
of Vinyamar

Count me in as another fangirl... uh I mean fanguy...

Sweeney Todd is absolutely fantastic but I'd like to recommend that those interested in checking it out get the more recent Sweeney Todd in concert DVD. Patti Lupone and George Hearn eat up the screen and the small amount of concert staging allows the show to be seen at its best, with the emphasis on the music. The Lansbury/Cariou version, while very good is dated, and transferred from VHS masters, so the quality is nowhere near as good. Still, its worth seeing also.

I have my doubts about Depp in this role. Its a huge sing and he is also, quite simply too young, as is Helen Bonham Carter. The initial plans I had heard were for Kelsey Grammar to take the role, which he has already performed on stage professionally. He is, I grant you, not as big a name as Depp, but he is much more suitable for the role. I hope they bring him in as Judge Turpin so that he's involved in some way.

I'm delighted Elfman is not involved. He's a fine composer but he's simply not fit to shine Sondheim's shoes. It would be a huge discourtesy to rearrange Sonheims work without his direct involvement.

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 Oct , 2006 6:13 pm
Seeking Wimbledon

Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Quote:
(Which is why, ttbk, I don't see why they need Elfman at all. He's a good composer, but they've got Sondeim. What more do you need?)
(Exactly. Just to clarify, I met that news with relief. I'd hate to see this music fiddled with...)

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 22 Oct , 2006 1:27 am

Yeah..that helps me.

But yeah, I understand that others can't sometimes, so I won't answer for anyone else. :(

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 22 Oct , 2006 1:53 am
Another bright red day

Alatar wrote:
Count me in as another fangirl... uh I mean fanguy...
:D
Quote:
Sweeney Todd is absolutely fantastic but I'd like to recommend that those interested in checking it out get the more recent Sweeney Todd in concert DVD. Patti Lupone and George Hearn eat up the screen and the small amount of concert staging allows the show to be seen at its best, with the emphasis on the music. The Lansbury/Cariou version, while very good is dated, and transferred from VHS masters, so the quality is nowhere near as good. Still, its worth seeing also.
I haven't seen the full concert, only the one clip that someone posted on YouTube, so I didn't want to reccomend it blindly. The Lanbsury version is definitely dated, making some things unfortunately laughable that really shouldn't be. Still, it's worth it just to see Angela Lansbury as Mrs Lovett, I think.
Quote:
I have my doubts about Depp in this role. Its a huge sing and he is also, quite simply too young, as is Helen Bonham Carter.
Depp looks too young, maybe, but that can be corrected. He's only three years younger than Michael Cerveris, who also doesn't really look that old. Bonham Carter, on the other hand just looks wrong. Too young, too pretty.
Quote:
I hope they bring him in as Judge Turpin so that he's involved in some way.
That's an interesting idea. I could definitely see him as the Judge.
Quote:
I'm delighted Elfman is not involved. He's a fine composer but he's simply not fit to shine Sondheim's shoes. It would be a huge discourtesy to rearrange Sonheims work without his direct involvement.
:yes:

There are rumours that Burton's going to cut all of Johanna's singing. Can they really cut "Kiss Me"? :neutral:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 27 Oct , 2006 4:08 pm
Everything Is Numb

OK, I had never heard of this musical or story until I saw Mossy's sig pic. I was intrigued right away. Well Mossy was a dear and sent me the original cast recording last night. After reading a summery of the musical online (so I wouldn't be lost), I listened to the songs (I don't have the instrumental parts). Here are my thoughts.

First the subject matter is rather bizarre and dark for a musical. It is a good story though and I especially liked the ending. I've only listened through the score once, but so far I do like it. There are few songs that I would call beautiful, but the way the songs are put together and sung is pretty brilliant. The songs on first listening that stuck out to me the most are "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd", the first one...what a great opening to a musical. It sucked me in right away. "The Kiss", I really like the way this one is put together, I've always loved songs that are back and forth exchanges and this one is spectacular at that. And "A Little Priest", this song is so disturbing yet funny it is quite an experience to listen to. At turns I was feeling decidedly sick listening to it and then there would be a great turn of phrase or pun and I would laugh out loud!

So over all I do like it, but I think it is going to take a few more listenings to really sink in and for me to make a final analysis of the experience.

~Sid (Mossy what character is that playing the violin in your picture? I recognise the other two in your avatar and sig pic.)

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 27 Oct , 2006 10:17 pm
Another bright red day

Sidonzo wrote:
There are few songs that I would call beautiful, but the way the songs are put together and sung is pretty brilliant.
I didn't often listen to the entire thing the whole way through until after I saw the revival. Johanna and the Johanna Quartet, though, I would call very beautiful. Like you said though, a lot of the songs don't necessarily need to be beautiful because they're so brilliant. They might even lose something if they were.
Quote:
The songs on first listening that stuck out to me the most are "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd", the first one...what a great opening to a musical. It sucked me in right away.
:yes:
Quote:
"The Kiss", I really like the way this one is put together, I've always loved songs that are back and forth exchanges and this one is spectacular at that.
Agreed. Johanna and Antony's 'dialogue' in this is great. ("It was the gate, it's the gate! We don't have a gate." :LMAO:)
Quote:
And "A Little Priest", this song is so disturbing yet funny it is quite an experience to listen to. At turns I was feeling decidedly sick listening to it and then there would be a great turn of phrase or pun and I would laugh out loud!
I think that's Sondheim's brilliance in this show. He makes you laugh and then you almost forget about how vile and disgusing the whole operation is. :P A Little Priest wins at everything, though.
Quote:
So over all I do like it, but I think it is going to take a few more listenings to really sink in and for me to make a final analysis of the experience.
I'm glad you like it! It does take a few listenings, but if you like it the first time . . . I look forward to reading your further thoughts. :)
Quote:
Mossy what character is that playing the violin in your picture? I recognise the other two in your avatar and sig pic.
That's Tobias, as played by the amazing Manoel Felciano. :love:

Thank you for indulging my obsession. I know I tend to prattle on.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 28 Oct , 2006 1:24 am
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Here's how this works.

Burton, Depp, Carter, and Elfman all work together. So if Burton is making a film Depp, Carter (his baby mama) and Elfman are sure to be included, except for the lack of Depp in Planet of the Apes (which sucked royaly).

I read a bit from Sweeney Todd in my high school drama production class so I know about the pies but that's about all I can remember. It's dark so Burton and the gang should do a bang up job. I was surprised by Coehn being in the cast, he's a super controversial comedian. He's funny no doubt but he does the kind of humor that makes your cringe.

I look forward to seeing it, and I hope the play comes to L.A. so I can see it in all of it's gloriousness (even without Patti Lapone).

:)

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 28 Oct , 2006 12:31 pm
Everything Is Numb

Oh I agree, Mossy! "Johanna" is VERY beautiful! That is why I said "few" beautiful songs! :P I listened to that one and a few others of my favorites again last night and I must say that this is really growing on me! :D I'm going to listen to it all the way through again tonight. Do you by any chance have a link to the words to the songs? I can catch most of them, but I find that it really helps me if I am reading along to the songs the first few times I listen to them.

And yes after listening to "Johanna" a few times last night, I must say that I'm in love with it! :love:

~Sid

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 28 Oct , 2006 8:45 pm
Another bright red day

Here are lyrics for individual songs. It's listed as the revival, but the lyrics should be the same.

This is the complete libretto. A lot of the songs in here aren't on the one I sent you, because I only have the highlights because that was the version that my mother found buried in the basement, which is where I got my copy in the first place.

TM, I hope that you are right that Burton will do a good job with the movie. Judging by his casting choices (ie. Carter), I'm not so sure. But we shall see!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 28 Oct , 2006 11:00 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

After seeing this musical in Mossy's sig for the last few weeks I've gotten really interested in it! I've enjoyed reading this thread to see everyone's opinions on the movie/show, even if I've never seen the play itself. I'll definitely read it when I have time. :) I'd love to go see it on stage sometime! Perhaps at the NYC m00t, eh Mossy? :D

I do have to say that the thought of Borat playing a role in any Broadway adaptation intrigues me. :P

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 29 Oct , 2006 3:32 am
Another bright red day

elfshadow wrote:
After seeing this musical in Mossy's sig for the last few weeks I've gotten really interested in it!
:D *hugs pretty sig and avatar*
Quote:
I'd love to go see it on stage sometime! Perhaps at the NYC m00t, eh Mossy? :D
I wish! :bawl: It closed on Septemeber 3, which makes me very, very sad. It is going to on tour starting next summer, though, so if it winds up in DC . . . well, we'll just see about that.
(Speaking of the NYC m00t, we need to get that back on track.)

Quote:
I do have to say that the thought of Borat playing a role in any Broadway adaptation intrigues me. :P

Ditto. I think he'd be really good, though.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 Oct , 2006 4:13 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Aww, it closed? Well crap, there goes that idea. :bawl: I hope the tour comes to DC, or even somewhere else in the area (or maybe it'll be on stage back home in Denver while I'm there) so I can see it. I definitely want to see it eventually though!

And yes, we really do need to start some serious planning on the NYC moot. :P

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 Oct , 2006 8:33 pm

I second all that was said about the NYC m00t. Even if there's a chance I won't be able to come.

:D Let's get crackin'.

Also: I really want to see/hear this. Do they have it on video?

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 Oct , 2006 9:09 pm
Not so deep as a well

Um, you know that generally when a performer not noted for singing does a movie musical (as opposed to merely doing a song, a la Corpse Bride) they generally fill out the voice, with either electronic help or another singer or both...so the quality of HBC's voice isn't that big a deal. And they made her look positively middle-aged in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

But Kelsey should definitely be involved.

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 Oct , 2006 10:14 pm
Another bright red day

Ax, you're right of course. Kind of forgot about all that with all the kerfuffle. I completely agree about Kelsey, though.

Dawn, the 1982 version with Angela Lansbury and George Hearn is on DVD, as is the concert version with Hearn, Patti LuPone, and Neil Patrick Harris. If you're interested in the revival, there are clips of it on YouTube that will be brought up by searching "Sweeney Todd".

Elsha, I don't see why it wouldn't go to DC. And when it does, I would be more than happy to take a trip down there to see it with you, although you may not be entirely happy to see it with me.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 17  [ 324 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 517 »
Jump to: