The Last Homely Site on the Web

Borat movie - frickin' hilarious

Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 42 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Dec , 2006 3:22 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I don't think I'll be seeing this one. While I'm sure parts of it are hysterical, I don't think I can get past the crudeness. I've read a detailed review of it, and it just doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

Maybe if it makes it to TV someday, I'll give it a go.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Dec , 2006 3:30 pm

The surprisingly graphic naked wrestling seem is extremely crude and pretty damn gross. It's also hilarious but if you wanna avoid crude, stay away!

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Dec , 2006 3:33 pm

:Q You know, if it were two cute guys, I might not mind, but knowing the two characters involved, I think I will definitely pass.

Thanks!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Dec , 2006 3:37 pm

Borat's sidekick might seriously be the grossest looking man I've ever seen. Certainly that I've ever seen totally naked. :sick:

eta - on the other hand, the two racist, sexist frat guys were pretty cute. :blackeye:

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Dec , 2006 5:05 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Be careful what tv network you watch it on. I've been tempted, but have decided to not touch any of the major networks because you just can't trust them. They either give you a hideous pan & scan job, or they edit everything out (not just the naughty parts, but plot elements or completely random scenes) so that it's incoherent. I only watch movies on NBC, TBS, ABC, etc. if I've already seen it and there is nothing else to do that night. I look at it as sort of a "best of" program - its not the movie I first enjoyed, but a compilation of scenes from it.

Point being, if you watch Borat on the tv, you might not even be watching Borat. :P LOVE ACTUALLY is a relatively tame film, which runs in at about 2h 15m, but aired this weekend in a two-hour time slot. Which included commercials. My mom said she tried to watch it but was completely turned off at how liberally they chopped out scenes.

Yeah, I really hate network tv as a source of exposure to new movies. ;)

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Dec , 2006 5:25 pm

Well, I am far from a movie afficianado. (Not even sure I spelled that right.) In fact, I am more of a reluctant move-watcher. I rarely want to take the time to watch one, and it had better be darn well worth my time. Funny and witty, I like. (Think: Holy Grail, Fish Called Wanda, MST3K, even Meet the Fockers, etc.) Stupid and crass, I do not. (Think: American Pie) Even something like 40 Year Old Virgin, which could've been really funny to me, was a turn-off because of the constant, inane use of the f-word. I mean, a well-placed f-word (A Christmas Story :D) suits a purpose, but to just say it for the sake of saying it, I hate that. I know people think, "Oh, that's just satirical and done purposely to offend." I just think, "That's stupid and annoying."

Now, I will say that I find South Park hysterical--if they're not dwelling on bodily functions the whole time. If it's a piece lambasting political correctness or some sort of social issue, then it's usually really funny.

The truth is, I'm really picky when it comes to movies and things. I am a total pain in the butt to watch a movie with, provided you can even find a movie I am willing to watch with you. :roll: (There are certain actors I hate, and I won't watch their movies, e.g., Adam Sandler. I won't watch a tear-jerker with anyone. I hate chick flicks, as a rule. But I do like action/thrillers, suspense dramas, etc. I won't watch scary movies or slasher films or demonic films, usually. I really have to be in the mood for something like that. I like historical films, big battle scenes, swords, etc. And I prefer to watch comedies. Real life is sad and depressing enough; I don't need to watch a movie to make me even more depressed.)

All that to say, I would probably be fine watching Borat on TV no matter the channel because it's likely I wouldn't like it regardless.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Dec , 2006 5:39 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

I understand. I'm just picky about watching a movie that someone else has re-edited from what the director intended. There are enough movies that don't make sense on their own - I don't need some network lackey furthering the incoherency. ;) I really will watch anything, but movies that've been tinkered with like that aren't even worth my time. They're worth less of my time than a movie I end up hating, because at least I'm getting the full story in that case.

The trick is to know what you like and then it all works out for the most part. You have a specific idea about the movies you want to see, so at least you won't be disappointed at what you end up with. My specific requests apply to the presentation of whatever movie I end up seeing, and it definitely works out for me (even though I start to get worked up if it's too long before a good movie comes along). ;)

Oh, and when it comes to swearing - I think it goes right through one ear and out the other by now. It's certainly tiresome depending on the usage, though, I do agree with you there.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Dec , 2006 5:50 pm

I understand. What you say makes sense, and, as you say, the key is to know what you like and what you don't like.

As for swearing, it's not something we do too much of and definitely not the f-word. Plus, surrounded by churchy folks as we are, it's not something we hear too often. (Well, Freddy hears it more than I do, given that he's a cop!) But, anyway, it jars me when I hear it.

Oh, we watched Spaceballs the other night, which I think is hysterical (I love spoofs), but I had forgotten the amount of swearing in there. Granted, it was mostly sh**, but still. That's just not something I'm used to, so it was jarring. (In that case, the movie's funniness far outweighed the negative of swearing, imo.)

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Dec , 2006 6:05 pm
Wembley bound

I was surprised, Borat didn't have much swearing. Believe it or not, the only swearing that it had was somewhat educational...

Yova, I have to agree, the comedy was much to slapstick and not intelligent enough.

I definately agree that movies go way over the top these days when it comes to swearing. I liked Clerks II (which I saw the other day *E*) but the amount of swearing was astronomical. A swear word is generally inserted somwhere when the user can't think of something more intelligent to say and there are a lot of unintelligent people out there it seems. I'm not saying that swearing doesn't sometimes make sense, just not when the 'f' word is used a million times in a movie, if you take my meaning.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Dec , 2006 6:39 pm

Exactly, TWT.

The use of the f-word in A Christmas Story is brilliant and hysterical and, because it's not been used in every other sentence before it, it means something.

You know, that is a great movie. :D I'm a bit partial to the whole Cleveland aspect of it, but it's just so funny.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Dec , 2006 6:57 pm
Aspiring to heresy

For the best use of swearing ever, you gotta read "The Truth" by Terry Pratchett. :damnfunny:

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Dec , 2006 7:08 pm

About time, TWT! It's still probably my favorite movie of the year. I don't wanna wait until Christmas to see it again, but thems the breaks.

Speaking of Clerks 2 and Kevin Smith in general - I think his movies are one of the only times that swearing works. There is a lot of it yes, but the way its used just makes me laugh my arse off. There is an entire scene in that movie about the meaning of "porch monkey", and usually I get all moralistic about such things, but I was doubled over laughing too hard to think about it. Even my somewhat prudish parents (well, they don't want me around certain things, but they do it themselves) sometimes quote Jason Mewes at the end of DOGMA shouting a stream of F-bombs at God (Alanis Morissette). It was funny, and somehow both in spite of and because of the swearing. :P

Lali, I think sex scenes for me are like swearing for you. Even tame ones, I would get in trouble for watching. I would get so paranoid watching each movie because they could come at any moment and I'd get yelled at, which sucks because you don't know a movie has one until it's there. :P And so many things can sound like a sex scene, too, so I was always on edge. Most awkward thing in the world is watching a flick with your parents (or even if they're nearby) and a sex scene comes on. It can't be over soon enough heh. And generally, I don't think they add anything or are necessary. I try to ignore those parts, though. Lord knows how hard it is to avoid them. :roll:

EDIT: yov, I like The History of the F Word video. ;)

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Dec , 2006 7:54 pm

Hmmm, that is interesting, E*. See, the sex scenes don't bother me (unless I'm with my parents). I mean, they can get a little uncomfortable if they're really hot and heavy if you're around another couple or something. Otherwise, they don't usually phase me too much. In fact, I usually like them. :halo:

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Dec , 2006 8:07 pm

I think they're exploitative and usually st00pfid or pointless. The swearing just rolls off my back.

That is not to say I ever avoid a movie because of nudity or sex. It's easier now that I have my own tv and DVD player. Come to think of it, I've been watching movies with headphones on lately - that way, no suspicious sounds alert the rest of the household. :P I love horror movies, so obviously the naked stuff comes with the territory, but most of the time there's no real need of it. Probably no help that it's always female and never attractive male (they're either old or fat and gross) but yeah.

This amuses me. :D

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Dec , 2006 10:23 pm
Wembley bound

*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* wrote:
About time, TWT! It's still probably my favorite movie of the year. I don't wanna wait until Christmas to see it again, but thems the breaks.

Speaking of Clerks 2 and Kevin Smith in general - I think his movies are one of the only times that swearing works. There is a lot of it yes, but the way its used just makes me laugh my arse off. There is an entire scene in that movie about the meaning of "porch monkey", and usually I get all moralistic about such things, but I was doubled over laughing too hard to think about it. Even my somewhat prudish parents (well, they don't want me around certain things, but they do it themselves) sometimes quote Jason Mewes at the end of DOGMA shouting a stream of F-bombs at God (Alanis Morissette). It was funny, and somehow both in spite of and because of the swearing. :P

*E*
I agree, the F word does add another dimension to Clerks II, it's part of the whole comedy and it works. It's just that I don't like it all that much. Though by far my favorite scene was when the black cop comes in and sees "Porch Monkey" written on the back of Randal's shirt and Randal just glances at him and says, "oh don't worry, I'm takin' in back."

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Dec , 2006 10:27 pm
Wembley bound

*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* wrote:
I think they're exploitative and usually st00pfid or pointless.

*E*
One word: marketing.

"Who's naked in this film?"

"J-Lo."

"Hell, I'm goin!"

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Dec , 2006 12:29 am

I know, but they all look the same after a while. Do people want to see them naked because they're famous, or are they famous because they've appeared naked? When people drool over certain actors, many of them not that talented, I have to wonder if they've never seen well-toned abs before or a pointy pair of hooters.

And think of the music business. So few videoes don't feature skanks in them, whether they're in the background or the headlining performer. I suppose it gets attention, but when everyone's doing it, how special is it really? Besides, I never understood the thinking that if someone has a great body, you should buy.......... their CD. :scratch:

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Dec , 2006 4:49 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

I haven't actually seen Borat yet, but this was hilarious. :damnfunny:

Profile Quote
The OG Borry
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Dec , 2006 9:05 pm
The best things in life are not things

Location: here....<_< yeah here thats Ceres, CA for you stalkers

Holy carp i hadnt seen that yet its hilarious elsha :P :LMAO:
Borry

Last edited by The OG Borry on Sun 03 Dec , 2006 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Dec , 2006 9:20 pm

The OG Borry wrote:
Holy carp i hadnt seen that yet it hilarious elsha

mmmmmmmm.....graaaammmaaaaar

:P

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 42 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 »