Posted: Fri 24 Nov , 2006 2:32 am
Best friends forever

Some guy wrote:
Saw this on TORN this morning:

LINK:
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1164265935

Saul Zaentz On The Hobbit
Demosthenes @ 2:12 am EST

Saul Zaentz, the owner of Tolkien Enterprises, and ultimate holder of the film rights to The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings was very recently interviewed about the Hobbit and Peter Jackson's involvement.

The interview has since been posted on German Rings site Elbenwald. You can read it here.

It's in German, so here's a translation of his comments.

Q: What is with the long anticipated Hobbit-adaption?

A: It will definitely be shot by Peter Jackson. The question is only when. He wants to shoot another movie first. Next year the Hobbit-rights will fall back to my company. I suppose that Peter will wait because he knows that he will make the best deal with us. And he is fed up with the studios: to get his profit share on the rings trilogy he had to sue New Line. With us in contrast he knows that he will be paid fairly and artistically supported without reservation.

So nothing is settled yet.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
eborr
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Nov , 2006 9:07 am

The whole PJ thing is polarised, EG those of us who think Jackson was good cannot see a Hobbit film without him at the helm, those who think he was bad are quite happy to see another boatman.

I take a slightly different view - LOTR could have been a lot better, it also could have been a lot worse.

Appropros the article vision Just posted, of course it is in Saul Z interests for New Line Not to make the Hobbit, he can gain a shed load more money by taking the film to another Studio.

btw I cannot imagine anyone else doing Gandalf

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 25 Nov , 2006 6:27 am

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 25 Nov , 2006 5:30 pm
Wembley bound

Hehe, good comic strips! :D

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 28 Nov , 2006 7:17 pm
You are hearing me talk

Isn't this sort of thing all part of the negotiation process? But I still wouldn't mind seeing someone else's take, as long as it wasn't Bruckheimer or something.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 Oct , 2007 6:26 pm
Aspiring to heresy

McKellen hopeful of end to Hobbit rift
Quote:
Sir Ian McKellen would be "very pleased" to reprise the role of Gandalf the wizard in the long-awaited adaptation of JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit, the actor has said.

US reports suggest the ongoing negotiations over the Lord of the Rings prequel may be close to being resolved. Firstly, it is understood that New Line, which backed the original trilogy, only part-owns the rights to The Hobbit, with rival studio MGM also maintaining an interest. And then there is Rings director Peter Jackson's separate legal dispute with New Line, this time over profits from the franchise.

Sir Ian has therefore taken the opportunity to restate his claim on the wizard's weatherbeaten hat, whether Jackson, who was at one point effectively blacklisted by New Line over the legal dispute, is able to return for the new film or not.

"I am glad to read that [The Hobbit] is looking more and more likely," said the 68-year-old actor. "I would be disappointed if they didn't want to have the original Gandalf. I suppose if I am still functioning and working well, it is very likely I would be asked to do it and if I were, I would be very pleased to do it."

Sir Ian said he hoped Jackson would direct the movie, but said he had the director's blessing to play Gandalf for someone else. "When Peter announced he had withdrawn from The Hobbit, he sent me an email saying 'Because I am not going to do it, it doesn't mean you have to do the same. Of course, you must play Gandalf whether I direct or not'," said the Shakespearean actor.

Sir Ian portrayed the character in the three Lord of the Rings movies, one of the biggest box-office successes of all time, and earned a best supporting actor Oscar nomination for the part in 2002.

The Hobbit, first published In 1937, describes the adventures of Bilbo Baggins as he joins Gandalf and a group of dwarves in a quest to slay a dragon. During the quest, he discovers the powerful ring that plays a central part in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
:Wooper:

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
GandalfStormcrow
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 26 Oct , 2007 11:24 pm

Saw something the other day linking Sam Raimi to the Hobbit. Would have to look and find.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 30 Oct , 2007 12:20 am
You are hearing me talk

One thing I wonder about is how they'll deal with whole multiple climax thing this time around (if the thing ever gets made). Wait; Smaug's dead and now a whole separate conflict is beginning? There's probably a pretty good chance that whoever writes/directs will decide that won't work in a movie. Will they show the elves and lakemen plotting to take the dwarves' gold even before they win it back? Will they try to merge Smaug's attack and the battle, e.g. by having him fly off to fetch the goblins instead of attacking Laketown by himself straightaway? Or will they just leave it the way it is? A lot will depend on who makes it, of course.

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 30 Oct , 2007 3:21 am
Trudging the road of happy destiny...

So what's the latest word on the production of The Hobbit?

Profile Quote
EdaintheRanger
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 30 Oct , 2007 9:32 pm
The Red Fox

What PJ is out of the running for the Hobbit?

Ohh thank god for that!

About time folks saw sense.

PJ did a lot of good things, but he also did a lot of bad things. IMO.

Middle Earth is rich and complex I feel it deserves far more than one director's perspective. There are so many different layers or issues you can pursue in Tolkien's works. Maybe one day in the future we will all be able to pull our own definative version of a LOTR film from the many different interpretations down the years. Though I certainly won't be holding my breath.

Now I hope the new director manages to make a good job of "The Hobbit".

:D

We need courage, faith and Chocolate Cake.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 30 Oct , 2007 10:39 pm
of Vinyamar

Actually, this has been back and forth a few times. I suspect PJ will still direct, or at the least Executive Produce.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 31 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: