Top Simpsons moment

Post Reply   Page 3 of 7  [ 132 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Mar , 2007 2:04 pm
Aspiring to heresy

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Mar , 2007 2:11 pm

Ahh, if only I didn't hate the Simpsons for the last decade or so.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Mar , 2007 2:31 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Now you've made me curious to see the more recent episodes. How bad can they be, after all?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Mar , 2007 10:31 pm
b77 whipping boy

I cannot BELIEVE this.

no one has mentioned the MONORAIL episode!?!?

hands down the best one ever.

(paraphrased from memory)
Marge: "I have someone here who may be able to help!"
Homer: "Is it Batman?"
Marge: "No, it's not Batman. It's a scientist!"
Homer: "Batman's a scientist."

Best. Line. Ever.

I was saying that in my "The Comic Book Guy" voice...

In related (if old) news: http://www.thecomicbookguys.com

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Mar , 2007 10:38 pm

WTF??? How did that happen!!??? My deepest apologies, my good man. Monorail is indeed a candidate for Best Episode Ever. The Monorail song is unquestionably the best Simpsons Song ever.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Mar , 2007 10:41 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

What about the Burlesque House song?

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Mar , 2007 10:45 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Don't remember that one. What season was that?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Mar , 2007 10:49 pm
Wembley bound

See I don't understand how someone can (and this is quite a blanket statement) "hate the Simpsons for the last decade." Obviously if you hate it then why do you keep watching? Or if you've quit watching it then how can you hate it?

Sure, a lot of the newer episodes might not be of the same caliber of the early ones but there have been plenty of newer eps that are uch better than some of the early eps. Sure, it's a lot more hit and miss than earlier ones but there is still a lot of quality.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Mar , 2007 11:25 pm

Burlesque House might qualify if it had Phil Harman. :P
It's Season 8, Jude.
Quote:
See I don't understand how someone can (and this is quite a blanket statement) "hate the Simpsons for the last decade." Obviously if you hate it then why do you keep watching? Or if you've quit watching it then how can you hate it?
Oh, I stopped watching ages ago. I still watched sporadically for a few years after season 8 until I just couldn't bear it anymore. It literally made me cringe. One good joke amongst 10 or 15 awful ones is just not worth it. That began around Season 8, which I just recently bought. The Spinoff show? I laughed literally twice and cringed at most of the rest. I saw bits and pieces over the years, either while at other people's houses or from the commercial spots, to know that it just kept getting worse and worse. All IMO, of course, but it really did become one of my very very least favorite shows on TV.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Mar , 2007 11:30 pm
Aspiring to heresy

What spinoff show?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Mar , 2007 11:57 pm

wiki wrote:
"The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase" is the twenty fourth episode of the eighth season of The Simpsons, which originally aired May 11, 1997. ... It centers around fictional pilot episodes of non-existent television series derived from The Simpsons. The episode is a parody of the tendency of network executives to try to find any reason to spin-off characters from a hit series. ... Troy McClure hosts a television special introducing three television shows produced using characters from The Simpsons. The gimmick of the special is that the FOX network, faced with a schedule with only three filled slots (The Simpsons, Melrose Place, and The X-Files),[2] commissions the producers of The Simpsons to produce thirty five different series. The producers end up churning out three.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Mar , 2007 12:13 am

Just found this, pretty interesting:

http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.php?t=53699

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Mar , 2007 9:53 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

yovargas wrote:
The Monorail song is unquestionably the best Simpsons Song ever.
How'd it go? :oops:

A favorite part of that episode: Leonard Nimoy is talking in his way and the guy next to him says, "does anybody wanna trade seats?"
Pippin4242 wrote:
What about the Burlesque House song?
"Maison Derriere. It means, uh... back house."

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Mar , 2007 10:44 pm
b77 whipping boy

I was going to start doing monorail quotes, but this is easier:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0701173/quotes
Quote:
Lyle Lanley: Well, sir, there's nothing on earth
Like a genuine,
Bona fide,
Electrified,
Six-car
Monorail!
What'd I say?
Ned Flanders: Monorail!
Lyle Lanley: What's it called?
Patty+Selma: Monorail!
Lyle Lanley: That's right! Monorail!
[crowd chants `Monorail' softly and rhythmically]
Miss Hoover: I hear those things are awfully loud...
Lyle Lanley: It glides as softly as a cloud.
Apu: Is there a chance the track could bend?
Lyle Lanley: Not on your life, my Hindu friend.
Barney: What about us brain-dead slobs?
Lyle Lanley: You'll be given cushy jobs.
Abe: Were you sent here by the devil?
Lyle Lanley: No, good sir, I'm on the level.
Wiggum: The ring came off my pudding can.
Lyle Lanley: Take my pen knife, my good man.
I swear it's Springfield's only choice...
Throw up your hands and raise your voice!
All: Monorail!
Lyle Lanley: What's it called?
Lyle Lanley: Once again...
Marge: But Main Street's still all cracked and broken...
Bart: Sorry, Mom, the mob has spoken!
Monorail!
Monorail!
[big finish]
Monorail!
Homer: Mono... D'oh!

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Mar , 2007 1:53 am
Wembley bound

I know a number of people who enjoy the Simpsons more in the last few years than the early years because the newer ones focus more on Homer than the kids...

Regardless, I liked the Simpsons more before but I still like it. Heck Family Guy is supposedly in their "glory years" but the last one was abysmal.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Mar , 2007 2:00 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Dang, I totally forgot they were back on the air. There was a break and then I never remembered to tune in on Sunday nights again! *writes in planner*

I think I like America Dad more. Simpsons, it's been a while, but they own me for life, so I can't imagine not liking the episodes. People have the attention span of a sparrow and always start bitching about things soon as the second season begins.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 Mar , 2007 2:57 pm
Trudging the road of happy destiny...

"PINCHY!!! Mmmmmm...*gulp* I wish Pinchy was hear to enjoy this!!"

The Simpsons.....*sigh* :love:

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 Mar , 2007 6:21 pm

Oh, yes I have to agree with Lego's suggestion. The whole storyline with the pet lobster was UNBELIEVABLY hilarious, wrong, and brilliant. From the monster that he appears as to Marge, to the delicious smell coming from the bathroom as Homer finds out what happens when you give a lobster a hot bath... I hurt my stomach laughing at that for years afterwards.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 Apr , 2007 8:05 pm

Wanna hear a bunch of hilarious crap? Download all these awesome little Simpsons sound files!

Simpsons clips

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Jul , 2007 12:47 pm
Aspiring to heresy

The Simpsons movie opens tomorrow :Q

All three reviews I've read have been favourable. Here's one from my local paper:
The Ottawa Citizen wrote:
Family values, Simpsons-style; At the heart of this smart, subversive show is the message that family comes first

In 2003, the BBC conducted an online poll asking Britain to name history's greatest American. In second place was Abraham Lincoln. In third, Martin Luther King Jr.

And the winner? Homer Simpson. By a massive margin. Homer got 47.2 per cent of the vote; Lincoln drew 9.7 per cent.

There you go. Homer Simpson. Best. American. Ever.

And, sure, why not? Did Lincoln anchor the longest-running comedy in TV history, lasting 18 seasons and counting? Was he a part of 23 Emmys, a Peabody Award and an estimated $2.5 billion U.S. in earnings? OK, there was that national leadership thing and the Gettysburg Address, but did Lincoln ever skewer scores of movies, dozens of TV shows, and nearly every sacred idea embedded in our culture?

Did Lincoln ever go to the Rolling Stones Rock 'n' Roll Fantasy Camp? ("Rule No. 1," Mick Jagger says. "No rules. Rule No. 2: No outside food.")

More to the real point, has anyone on TV ever given America and the world more funny, brilliant, arrow-to-the-heart true lines about everything on the planet?

So, it's not just crazed American fans who are counting down until The Simpsons Movie opens tomorrow. The television show is seen in 70 countries, and this may be the most internationally anticipated TV-show-to-movie event in history.

For all the early school-marmish scolding and the huffy misinterpretations, despite Time magazine naming Bart Simpson one of the 100 most influential people of the 20th century, it's never been Bart's impishness or his long-gone lines, like "Don't have a cow," that have fuelled the series.

The heart of the show has always been Homer, and the Simpsons family as a whole. That's what this national treasure of a series has been about -- family.

The Simpsons is toweringly unsentimental, just as it can be ragingly silly, but its message -- and, yeah, there was always a message -- has been that, for more than 400 episodes, if you do just one thing right in the world, it's that you always love your family.

And Homer is the perfect creature to carry that message because he's a schlub who can't do anything else right. But, no matter what else, he puts his family first. Maybe tied with doughnuts, but still up there.

That tone was set in episode one, when Homer lost the family's Christmas money at the dog track, so the Simpsons adopted the dog who let him down and finished last.

Still, there has been so much more than just a message. The Simpsons is the standard-bearer for witty pop culture commentary, and for brilliantly subtle, serious social analysis. And all of that starts with Homer, too. In his enduring Homerness, he stumbles onto the real truths and ambiguities of everything in our society.

It's surely not because he's some font of wisdom. He's more a font of confusion and downright idiocy. But precisely because of that, he gets to the core of things in our muddled, complicated world.

Doing the right thing, living with some kind of moral compass, is actually a strong force in The Simpsons. Bart, too, is not the scofflaw he appears to be on the surface. For all his scheming and tricks, Bart is at his heart a populist and an egalitarian. He doesn't actually hate Principal Skinner -- Bart just knows he's supposed to battle The Man because he wants his freedom, like everyone else.

Yet, in a way, all of that is overthinking The Simpsons. The reason why it's lasted so long, the reason why The Simpsons Movie feels nearly akin to a Beatles reunion for some, is that it is, first of all, a very, very funny show.

The writing for years and years has been understated and nimble, even though there's plenty of visual slapstick. The yucks have always played out at a bunch of levels, including the laugh-out-loud moments, the digging irony, and the real gold -- those moments that fans talk about years later, like, say, that rock 'n' roll camp.

That gets to the crux of it. Relatable characters who make you laugh.

The Simpsons is the brainchild of Matt Groening, and it started in 1987 as a series of 30-second spots that ran between sketches on Fox's The Tracy Ullman Show.

On Dec. 17, 1989, The Simpsons premiered on Fox and immediately got the public scolds pointing and whining that Bart was a bad influence because he didn't respect authority and because he pushed such anarchistic ideas as skipping school.

But critics and fans immediately realized they had found a mother lode, and we're still learning how rich it is.

The Simpsons was the first successful prime-time cartoon since The Flintstones and The Jetsons of the 1960s, and it taught comedy writers that they could do more and say more with animated characters.

It's unfortunate that the current version of The Simpsons has lost a comedic step or two, and it suffers by comparison to the best years of the show.

But all signs are that The Simpsons Movie will have all the traits of the classic days, which is to say subversive, absurd, toweringly dopey and incredibly smart. And Homer, Bart and the family will, despite themselves, probably end up doing the right thing, because it wouldn't be The Simpsons if they didn't.

- - -

THE QUOTABLE HOMER

"Light is the task where many share the toil."

Homer, the ancient Greek poet

"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try."

Homer Simpson

"And what he greatly thought, he nobly dared."

Homer, the ancient Greek poet

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman."

Homer Simpson

Homer on TV: "Teacher, mother, secret lover."

Homer on church: "What if we've picked the wrong religion? Every week, we're just making God madder?"

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 7  [ 132 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
Jump to: