The Last Homely Site on the Web

The CHILDREN OF MEN fanperson thread

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Jan , 2007 3:49 pm
Daydream Believer

Yeah I had the same problem with the Posh Lady remark. I thought the same thing.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Jan , 2007 5:40 pm
Wembley bound

I don't even remember that remark but I guess you're right. Though really in the movie they were protecting both, not just the baby...

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Jan , 2007 7:31 pm

I've been wanting to see this movie since I first heard about it (November I think). But I can't.

I'll have to wait for it on DVD and it will drive me CRAZY.

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Jan , 2007 8:37 pm
Wembley bound

I got it on DVD over two months ago. :archer:

Profile Quote
The OG Borry
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Jan , 2007 9:06 pm
The best things in life are not things

Location: here....<_< yeah here thats Ceres, CA for you stalkers

There were no archers in the movie TWT.

But yeah im not cool enough to use the quote cheat so

SPOILERS ARE COMIN

Anyway, I loved the movie's shots. The pictures were brilliant and great. But some shit just didnt make any sense. Like the one Estel brought up. Another one was that...midwife lady? She was a fucking idiot and I really thought she was just filler with her whole story and such. Im pretty sure the greatest line in the movie was "Youre a facist pig" :P :damnfunny: love it. Um another thing... yeah i thought it was dumb Theo died, i mean he was running around the whole time and jumping off things and rowing and then suddenly "ow, *dies* " ?????? No I dont think so :P The only time I saw him get hurt that i can remember was when he rolled his ankle running away from Sid, before he bitch slapped him with a cinderblock of course (another awesome moment) One more awesome spot was the blood on the camera like...someone said, brilliant touch. And another thing...why did the military blow up their own troops? I mean they were sitting there storming the building then all of a sudden there goes the flyboys blowing shit up, why would they even send people in if they were gonna blow it up??

Im done ranting for now anyway :wave:
Borry

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Jan , 2007 9:57 pm

Slapped with a cinderblock?

I HAVE to see this movie now.

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Feb , 2007 5:28 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Appologies for not replying sooner, but the internet access at my dad's was shoddy and I've been too tired this week to do the simplest of tasks. :neutral:

TED started a thread for critical analysis of the film, so if you guys would like to check it out, a link is in the first post (not that it's hard to find while browsing through the forum, but I mean for future reference). :P
Estel wrote:
Through the whole movie they're trying to show how important the baby is - to the point where the girl says they'll probably take it away from her and give it to some posh woman. The thing is, the mother would have been just as important if not more important than the baby simply because if she had one, she could have another.
Yep, that is something I hadn't considered at the time, I just thought it was a way to show the extent to which the government had cracked down on refugees. A possible scenario: they keep both the baby and Kee under wraps for even a couple of years to make sure she can indeed have more children and this one was not just a fluke. If not, they really wouldn't have any use for her. I can understand the paranoia the Fishes must have had.
Estel wrote:
It was actually more dangerous for her to be out in public, because in desperate times like that, many men would've wanted her to have their baby and resorted to violence to try and get her pregnant themselves.
That's a really good and scary point. I would only add that no one knows she's pregnant, so she won't need to fight anyone off just yet. Once the jig is up, people are more transfixed with the baby anyway, so knocking her up again isn't first thing on their mind.

I loved how delicate everybody was with Kee. Even when she spits on Luke, you don't even see a supression of anger. They kidnap her by wheeling her chair away, even though it wouldn't go too fast on the smoothest of floors. In the car chase, they're extremely careful in only trying to shoot Theo when Kee was entirely clear of the shot. I appreciated that a group of rebels who used to set bombs to make their points are still compassionate enough to not lose sight of how important this girl is. Whether it's a mark of their character or the writers and filmmakers, I'm glad it was there. Too often, you see a film where someone's actions make no sense to the plan they're trying to carry out and it becomes hard to buy it as anything but a movie. In CoM, you never really doubt it.
Dawnnamira wrote:
I'll have to wait for it on DVD and it will drive me CRAZY.
It pretty much bombed at the box office, so you won't have to wait long. There's a smaller and smaller window between theatrical and home video release dates, anyway. Three or four months for the strugglers, 5 - 7 months for the money-makers. Digital Bits reports that CoM may be out in early April, which sounds about right.
The OG Borry wrote:
One more awesome spot was the blood on the camera like...someone said, brilliant touch.
I loved it as well, though someone on the IMDB mentioned that it took them out of the film because instead of being an invisible character within it, they were suddenly aware that they were watching a movie. It's a valid point. Mostly, I just saw it as what my own view would be if I was following Theo around. Someone in front of me gets shot and I'll be splattered with their blood.

Spoilers...
The OG Borry wrote:
Um another thing... yeah i thought it was dumb Theo died, i mean he was running around the whole time and jumping off things and rowing and then suddenly "ow, *dies* " ?????? No I dont think so :P
It is supposed to happen in the blast that kills Luke, just before they go down those stairs. I wasn't able to catch it on my second viewing, but will try again on the third. :P
The OG Borry wrote:
The only time I saw him get hurt that i can remember was when he rolled his ankle running away from Sid, before he bitch slapped him with a cinderblock of course
I think it was a car battery. Still cool, though I wasn't quite sure what was happening in that scene on my first viewing. I knew something was up with Syd obviously, but didn't realize it was bad enough to warrant actually killing him. More on that later.
The OG Borry wrote:
And another thing...why did the military blow up their own troops? I mean they were sitting there storming the building then all of a sudden there goes the flyboys blowing shit up, why would they even send people in if they were gonna blow it up??
The only explanation I can come up with is that enough rebels had infiltrated the place that they didn't think it was worth saving. Remember, it wasn't just the Fishes there, but some kind of Muslim (they were chanting "Allahu Akbar") revolt was occuring, so perhaps the government figured Bexhill was lost. Syd was a guard and he knew the place was going to be bombed - maybe it was common knowledge amongst them and the orders were just to hold off the revolt as long as possible.
Dawnnamira wrote:
Slapped with a cinderblock?

I HAVE to see this movie now.
It's in the trailer at 2:09. But you should still see the movie. ;)

I just wanted to reply before the time got too far away from me, but I will be back to share some more thoughts on my second viewing. It was definitely worthwhile.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Feb , 2007 9:52 pm
Takoyaki is love

I saw children of Men but I wasn't aware of the continuous one shot takes. I just knew something felt different. Like we were actually in the car. Brilliant!!

Now my feelings of the movie after first seeing it was gee that was depressing. (But I love Clive Owen) But now hearing the laughing at the end now that I think about it more makes it a happy ending. I was confused when I heard it because I thought, does the human project have kids or does everyone have kids again.

I realized how much the movie affected me once I kept noticing little children in The mall I was in.
S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

Did anyone notice how cats and dogs were featured in the film? The Clive owen charcater deals with at least a couple of cats and some dogs tha he shushes. I kind of thought that was to let us know that the Clive Owen charcater was special and Kee was right to trust him. Also it seems dogs and cats can have babies.

I didn't notice any CGI. Brilliant.

The blood splatter on the camera did take me out of the film though. I think I have to see it again, to make my mind up.

End spoiler.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject: Re: The CHILDREN OF MEN fanperson thread
Posted: Fri 15 May , 2009 2:42 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

From a photoshop phriday at SomethingAwful.com several weeks ago, for the theme: "Lets Ruin Emotional Movie Moments!"

[ img ]

Well I lol'd. :P

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: