Takoyaki is love

s
p
o
i
l
e
r

Since the story was being told by a storyteller (Dilios) there may have been some embellishments on Dilios' part and the look of the wolves, and the especially the rhino and the elephant reflected that. I remember reading in a magazine David Wenham saying how would a person describe and elephant to a person who had never seen one b4?
e
n
d

s
p
o
i
l
e
r

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Mar , 2007 1:51 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Have you seen this , its hysterical... Iran has Condemmed the film. The reason, it insults their cultureal ideology.....

I do wonder what part of thier culture they could possibly refer to as with the Persian empire depicted vanished under wave after wave of invaders, settles and religions, so that there is nothing left. Geographically, they were part of Persia (or one part of), but it a bit like the English whinging that a film about Stonehenge insults them as a people.

It is very sad.....

It could make me want to see the film though, just out of bloody mindedness.

Still worried about the rhino people are talking about. Has anybody said how it gets to Greece in a time when the Med was pretty much closed to trade from Africa, and the far east is a heck of a long way to come.

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Mar , 2007 2:55 pm
Daydream Believer

The Persians bring the Rhino. And the Elephants. I would think that would be possible, since I would expect the Persains to have imported many animals during the Persian Empire times.

Anyway the visuals are stunning and should be seen on big screen, but don't go thinking the story is anywhere historically accurate, because its not. If you do go think of it as a work of fiction not history.

And for what its worth even though the visuals are stunning, I have seen better.

Its a good Saturday afternoon movie to escape a bit, not a classic or epic movie and no way on par with LoTR or even Pans Labyrinth. I would say its on the same scale as Troy or Kong, fun to watch, nice to look at, but don't go expecting any big emotional pulls, it doesn't have it.

I would call 300 a cheerleader movie.

That said I am planning on seeing again, just to make sure.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Mar , 2007 5:12 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Dindraug wrote:
Have you seen this , its hysterical... Iran has Condemned the film. The reason, it insults their cultural ideology.....
They say they're concerned about their history being distorted. This is the same country that hosted a conference denying the Holocaust last year? :Q

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Mar , 2007 5:40 pm
Daydream Believer

Well the Holocaust is Isreali history of sorts...and you know according to Iran Isreal doesn't exist. Thats probably it. Non-existant country couldn't have history. ;)

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 17 Mar , 2007 10:27 pm

Saw it. Thought it was terrible. Everything besides the (stunning) art direction was out of any ol' cliched action flick. Nothing special and lots of bad. Except that art direction. Damn that was great.

My main beef was, where was all the action? There were, like, three, maybe four, solid action scenes and that's it? I was trying to think of them and could only think of three, and only if you count the really short scene from the trailer of the dude jumping at that emmiseray guy at the beginning.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 19 Mar , 2007 5:57 pm
Daydream Believer

Well it wasn't the end all of all movies, thats for damn sure. I liked the movie to the point it was a good saturday afternoon flick. The visuals were pretty good, except the CGI wolf.

Anyway Pans is still better. :D

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 19 Mar , 2007 6:10 pm

I was mildly annoyed by all the weird, fake creatures. The wolf, that big troll-like dude, the absurdly deformed oracle dudes and the hunchback traitor, that dude with the blades for arms. There were so many freak mutants it might as well have been an X-Men movie.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 19 Mar , 2007 8:20 pm
Daydream Believer

except the x-men are way cooler. I am glad I am not the only one who thought the CGI was not as well done as it could have been.

Wolverine vs. Xerxes.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 25 Mar , 2007 10:18 pm
His Rosyness

Finally saw this two weeks in. Totally disagree with yov, I thought it was awesome. This is a beautiful piece of art, AND I found it emotional in the right places. X-Men..??? this is WAY better. :P

Other than the cringe-worthy "support the Iraq war" comments, I really have very little to criticise. I loved it and can't wait for the DVD.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 26 Mar , 2007 3:31 pm

I'm pretty sure that if this exact same movie had been filmed in the traditional visual style, it would be considered amongst the worst movies of the year.

Visuals aside, the only good thing I can say about it, is that Gerald Butler is a charismatic lead (and really hot).

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 26 Mar , 2007 4:13 pm
His Rosyness

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that if this exact same movie had been filmed in the traditional visual style, it would be considered amongst the worst movies of the year.
I disagree, I think it would still be a solid action movie in that case.. just not the piece of fine art that it is.

This is close, if not in, my top 20 movies.. cut out the Bush-esque rhetoric from the script and it definitely would be.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 31 Mar , 2007 9:45 pm

Saw it yesterday and thought it was great. Beautiful. But I'm still left with a feeling that I had somehow thought it would be more. Hard to explain, but something was lacking. Perhaps my expectations had just been too high.

Splendid protrayal of Leonidas' wife as a strong, independent woman. And nice to see that a beautiful girl in a movie can have breasts smaller than balloons. :roll:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 31 Mar , 2007 11:00 pm

Nienor SharkAttack wrote:
Hard to explain, but something was lacking.
The correct answer is "an interesting story". ;)

Profile Quote
The OG Borry
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 Apr , 2007 12:26 am
The best things in life are not things

Location: here....<_< yeah here thats Ceres, CA for you stalkers

yes 300 people, taking arms against a few 10's of thousands of would be invaders. I see no possible story in that.
Borry

Borry: equality works both ways cheater!
Don: so does not

So I take pictures now, check em out if you'd like. Here you go.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 Apr , 2007 1:15 am

You told 95% of the story they told in one sentence!

Profile Quote
The OG Borry
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 Apr , 2007 1:25 am
The best things in life are not things

Location: here....<_< yeah here thats Ceres, CA for you stalkers

Draw a likeness by summarizing Romeo and Juliet by saying "they loved each other and killed themselves"
Borry

Borry: equality works both ways cheater!
Don: so does not

So I take pictures now, check em out if you'd like. Here you go.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 Apr , 2007 1:29 am

Except there's actually a whole lot more to R&J. There is barely any more in 300 beyond that one sentence.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 Apr , 2007 8:34 am
bioalchemist

At yov's hint, I'm copying and pasting this from the Yak-Yak thread...

Saw 300. Imagine the battle of Pelennor Fields, feature length, gorier, and more skin - the Spartans wore red capes and leather diapers. And helmets. They also spoke with British accents, while the Persians by and large looked and sounded like Africans (except Xerxes - he sounded kinda American, and looked like a transvestite). Those that didn't look like Orcs or Trolls, I mean. The gore got a point where I was having a hard time taking it seriously, and at one point I seriously turned to my boyfriend and asked "Where's Legolas?" There was also a seriously gratuitous sex scene. But the cinematography was interesting. It was based off a graphic novel, and they did something with the lighting that made it look fantastical, which helped send the gore over the top and out of the "to be taken seriously" realm. During one battle scene (and they were thrilling, I'll give them that) my boyfriend commented "This looks like a game for a Playstation."

I'm sure people are loving to read political messages into it. Personally, I had a hard time taking Spartans going on about freedom and liberty seriously. Sparta was the first fascist state, and every fascist state since has aspired to be Sparta. That doesn't make their courage at Thermophylae any less, but it does temper the rhetoric.

I'd like to add that I did some quick reading on Wikipedia. I suggest everyone who's seen the movie do the same. Spartan society, and the Battle of Thermophylae, aren't quite what was depicted in the movie. Of course, one of the big problems with Sparta is Spartans weren't too keen on writing things down, so most accounts of Spartan society were written by contemporary, outside observers who probably had their own biases. Still, I recommend doing some reading before taking the movie too seriously (or literally).

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Celebne
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 Apr , 2007 3:08 pm
Waiting for Faramir

Riverthalos wrote:

The gore got a point where I was having a hard time taking it seriously, and at one point I seriously turned to my boyfriend and asked "Where's Legolas?" .
No Legolas, but Faramir! :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 7  [ 122 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
Jump to: