Heck Ya..

17% [ 1 ]
Frakin' no way....

0% [ 0 ]
I'll take Starbuck on anytime...

33% [ 2 ]
Where the hell is Daggit

17% [ 1 ]
No I'm a girl so I'll take Apollo...or Starbuck ;)

0% [ 0 ]
I'll take the evil bastard Baltar

33% [ 2 ]
Total votes: 6
Dave_LF
Post subject: Re: Number Six....BSG Discussion Thread
Posted: Wed 12 Aug , 2009 9:00 pm
You are hearing me talk

It's in the alternate audio track that goes with the extended version of Daybreak on the DVDs. It may have been a podcast; I'm not sure. It did have to do with Lee and Kara, but he said he wasn't exactly sure what it was supposed to mean.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Tue 22 Sep , 2009 4:18 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Well we finally finished the whole thing, and I've a few words to say about the ending.

Deus ex machina ending, as it were - which didn't work for me at all. Nice twists in the end though and throught all the series. Flashes of absolute brilliance, moments of doldrums.

The problem of having "God" or "gods" as an intervening character is that as soon as you introduce omnipotent beings as a cause of major events in the story, you shoot the plot full of holes. Audiences can legitimately ask questions like: "Why didn't the omnipotent beings do X?" where X is a much simpler course of events than the one depicted in the story. For example, after Kara died, why didn't the string pullers, instead of bringing her back, or sending an "angel" in her form to do their bidding, or whatever they did, just give the coordinates for Earth to someone else? Or why didn't they let her discover Earth earlier (say, right after the attack on the colonies), and save everyone four years of misery? Or why didn't they use their influence to prevent the Cylons from attacking the colonies in the first place? Once viewers start asking questions like this, the suspension of disbelief crumbles.

And the fact that the omnipotent beings were introduced from the start - at least as a belief system - makes no difference because we didn't know how powerful they were until the end. For all we knew, until the final episode, the being the Cylons were calling the "One True God" could have been a very powerful computer programme.

The question of destiny and free will also rears its ugly head.

So what did the writers do instead? "God" leaves little crumbs around, little threads that need to be tied together by human and/or cylon brain power as to the next step. Even those annoying visions. This is very unsatisying to me - it is an obvious "let the viewer have fun tying to work them out and feel fantastic when they get it right" ploy. The sort of ploy where you feel superior to the characters because you know more than they do (such as A making a facial expression which B does not see, but we do).

And as to the coda where technology is bad and we can't be trusted with it (so let's get rid of labour-saving devices, let ourselves rather than cylon-types kill millions upon millions of our descendents by forgetting about medicine, let's allow competing religions to start up and start to kill each other, etc etc). Ack.

Two things really pissed me off about the finale. Firstly, why did Head 6 keep telling Balter that he would write humanity’s last chapter? It looks like all he did was abandon his harem (what purpose they served, I have NO idea), drop off Hera (who writes Bob Dylan songs and gets her groove on with primitive humankind) and go farming. In fact the realisation of the Opera House vision was a complete let down. Baltar was not needed at all for it. He didn't even have any bullets to protect Hera. Baltar and 6 just took her from a room in the Colony to CIC - something Athena and the Prez would have done without their help.

Secondly what was with all the flashbacks to back on Caprica? Fillers and nothing more. So Roslyn confirms she’ll join the political campaign. Woopeedo. Baltar tells Caprica 6 he’ll help her. We knew that. The only interesting bit was Baltar's father and farming.

So in summary, we are supposed to think that the One True God who doesn’t like to be called God, somehow, for some reason, seeded the polytheistic religion of the 12 colonies with prophesies which would lead humanity along this path from way back when Pythia was written and the arrow of Apollo was created in such a way as to open a portal on Kobol to show the constellations of earth. Which earth? Our earth I think. I think they saw the stars in our sky didn’t they? Again this only makes sense if the people on Kobol had come from our earth. But apparently they didn’t. So again, the answer is, God did it. For some reason instead of converting the residents of Kobol to monotheism, God used their polytheistic religion to create prophesies and technologies, all to show humans 2000 years later how to follow a specific path.

Most unsatisfactory ending. BSG was worthy of much more.

Some interesting, almost Tolkienesque, choice of character names though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%A1ra

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Mon 28 Sep , 2009 9:04 pm
Milk and kisses

I agree with Lidless. The ending also disappointed me.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Mon 28 Sep , 2009 10:32 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

That's pretty much how I feel about it as well. When a distant and unfathomable god is brought into stories and used this way, it just makes me think that the writers got lazy, couldn't figure out how to work things out, and decided to use an all powerful being to do it since they couldn't. Most unsatisfying.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Sat 20 Nov , 2010 6:05 pm

I just finished watching Season 1, which I started watching last week. Why didn't anyone tell me how good this show was!!??? :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:
(Though I've unintentionally caught spoilerish bits about the god stuff getting more and more play which is...worrisome. :suspicious: )

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Posted: Sun 21 Nov , 2010 1:25 am
Another bright red day

Don't worry, there's still epic excellence before that happens.
I'm rewatching right now, actually, just started season 2.5.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Sun 21 Nov , 2010 5:22 am

I watched 10 episodes today. That's ~7.5 hours. :help:

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Sun 21 Nov , 2010 9:31 pm

A question: I usually avoid spoilers but they just introduced, at the end of 2.0, the Admiral of the BS Pegasus and I instantly disliked the character. Please tell me she's not a long-term show fixture. :suspicious: (Seriously, why do they get a woman who looks half of Adama's age to play his superior. :x :x :x :x )

Profile Quote
TWT
Posted: Mon 22 Nov , 2010 6:32 pm
Wembley bound

Don't worry. She's not around forever.

BSG is my favorite show ever and when I rewatch it I still can't stand watching the episodes that bitch Pegasus Admiral.

As for the god spoilers, don't take it at face value. The show is far more incredible than the sum of its parts.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Mon 06 Dec , 2010 2:55 am

I've finished.
This is likely the greatest TV show that's ever been made.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Mon 06 Dec , 2010 8:58 am
of Vinyamar

I think it runs a very close second to West Wing, but I wouldn't argue too much about it. ;)

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
TWT
Posted: Fri 10 Dec , 2010 4:01 pm
Wembley bound

Glad you finished it. It really is a modern epic. What did you think of the integration of the song 'all along the wawtchtower' throughout the final seasons? I've always liked the song, but now, because of how much I love BSG the song has an extra-special place.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Fri 10 Dec , 2010 10:39 pm

I thought it was really, really weird and pretty ridiculous and nonsensical. And yet - totally awesome. Like a lot of the show. :D

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 21 Feb , 2011 7:13 pm

We finally finished this series yesterday. What a lame ending!

So Hera is supposed to be the mitochondrial "Eve" ??? What happened to the genetic input of the rest of the 38,000 + colonists? Everyone else died?

Actually, that's quite probable, isn't it? Drop small groups of people randomly around a wild planet with nothing more than they can carry on their backs, and they'll probably starve to death in the winter. Or be killed by local wild life. Or poisoned when they try to eat unknown plants. This isn't a terribly friendly planet to those who don't have appropriate survival skills.

It's kind of like mass suicide to attempt to colonize a planet the way they tried to. Dumb ending.

This will never be a favorite TV show of mine. I doubt I'll ever re-watch it. Buffy, Babylon 5, Firefly, Farscape, Dr. Who .... those I'll watch again and again. This one? I'm just glad it's over.

And yes, I hated all the religious crap, too. If it had been up to me, I'd have never gotten past the new Caprica landing. But my husband liked the series so we kept watching an episode once in a while and now we've finally finished it.

Oh. *groan* There's still "The Plan" to see, isn't there? :bang: And possibly "Caprica".

Ah, well. He puts up with my "Buffy" obsession. I can endure some more BSG-verse.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Wed 16 Mar , 2011 7:39 pm
You are hearing me talk

MariaHobbit wrote:
So Hera is supposed to be the mitochondrial "Eve" ??? What happened to the genetic input of the rest of the 38,000 + colonists? Everyone else died?
Mitochondrial Eve is simply the most recent female that every living human has in his or her mother line (mother's mother's mother's mother's...mother). Her existence doesn't imply that none of her contemporaries have surviving descendants too; it's just that you have to go through one of your male ancestors to get to them.

Profile Quote
TWT
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2011 2:32 am
Wembley bound

I had a nice chat with Aaron douglas over the weekend. He's the guy who played chief on BSG. Super nice guy. Like really nice. Went out of his way to meet some of us at comic con here in toronto. Unfortunately I missed going put for beers with him after cause a friend didn't tell me they were going. So my BSG questions will have to wait. :p

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 10 of 10  [ 196 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 16 7 8 9 10
Jump to: