Heck Ya..

17% [ 1 ]
Frakin' no way....

0% [ 0 ]
I'll take Starbuck on anytime...

33% [ 2 ]
Where the hell is Daggit

17% [ 1 ]
No I'm a girl so I'll take Apollo...or Starbuck ;)

0% [ 0 ]
I'll take the evil bastard Baltar

33% [ 2 ]
Total votes: 6
Eruname
Post subject: Re: Number Six....BSG Discussion Thread
Posted: Wed 01 Apr , 2009 8:59 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Obama Depressed, Distant Since 'Battlestar Galactica' Series Finale

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/ob ... tant_since" target="_blank

:D

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Wed 01 Apr , 2009 10:35 pm
Daydream Believer

I'm right there with him. :P

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Tue 14 Jul , 2009 5:37 pm
You are hearing me talk

Could someone stop me from reading this thread before I watch season 4, please? (the rental places around here only have through 3, so I'll need to work something else out for the rest). Thanks.

(season 3 spoilers)

Edit: In the interest of contributing, I think I detected a pretty distinct Stephen King vibe in the final episode of season three. Specifically, it felt like book 2 of The Dark Tower. The mostly assortment of misfits brought together by a song only they can hear? A song we're all familiar with but that's completely out of place in that world? And it's a song about a tower to boot?

I'm kind of afraid it's going to end like a King novel too. He makes his stories up as he goes and usually does a great job of building tension and curiosity, but a very dissatisfying job of resolving it.

Edit2: I really hope the ending does not imply that humanity originated somewhere else in the universe and only later immigrated to Earth. I understand the appeal of this premise, but our origin and long history on this planet are literally written in stone, and it doesn't behoove a work of science fiction to ignore that.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Wed 15 Jul , 2009 6:40 pm
bioalchemist

**bites tongue. Hard.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Fri 17 Jul , 2009 2:59 pm

Yeah, don't take the silence personally Dave, but we just can't say anything without spoiling you.

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Fri 17 Jul , 2009 6:59 pm
You are hearing me talk

That's ok; just wanted to get it out there before I saw the rest so the comments would be more honest. Netflix should be sending me the start of season 4 today.

Something that's kind of starting to bug me is the show's treatment of religion. At first it seemed like they were going to do something original and honest with it. The colonists' religion inspired them to search for Earth and kept them going when things got tough, but it also looked like misplaced faith and credulously mistaking drug-induced hallucinations for visions was going to lead to bad decisions and failures of leadership. And of course there was the dissonance caused by the fact that the character spouting the familiar-sounding religious platitudes was the evil cylon Baltar sees in his head. Then Cavil showed up and gave Tyrol what sounded like some awfully sensible advice--prayer doesn't work, the gods won't do anything for you that you won't do for yourself, etc. After I got over my shock, my first thought was "bet this guy turns out to be a cylon". And what do you know, not only is that the case, but it looks like the Cavils are going to be on the wrong side of the rift that's forming, and it increasingly appears that the religious angle in general is going to be played straight. The visions were real, Baltar will repent of his Hollywood atheism, head 6 was good all along and telling the plain truth; no tricks, no irony. Oh well; maybe some day.

ETA: Here's something people should be able to respond to without spoilers. Excluding 4 (which I haven't seen), does anyone else feel that season 3 was the weakest? It got off to an interesting start; I was actually expecting most or all of the season to be occupied with the insurgency on and escape from New Caprica and thought that would be a pretty neat twist. But that subplot ended after only a couple of episodes, and the show seemed to lose its way after that. There were a number of throwaway episodes that didn't really add to the larger plot or even to the general ambiance, and the reveals they did give us just weren't that interesting (IMO). It was also kind of annoying to spend so much time wondering about "the final 5", and then have 4 of them handed to you in one shot (assuming that is in fact what the events in the last episode meant), and they may have even given us all 5 depending on what we're supposed to conclude from the events of the final 10 seconds.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Fri 17 Jul , 2009 8:32 pm

No, I didn't find season 3 to be the weakest at all. I'd rate it the strongest probably...it's a close tie with season 4 for reasons I shouldn't discuss so as not to spoil you in any way possible. Personally I'm glad we didn't have to deal with much more New Caprica stuff...and the stuff to come is so much better.

Some of the best episodes of the series are in s4 though.

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sun 19 Jul , 2009 4:14 pm

While I have never seen the show, there was something this morning on NPR which fans of BSG may want to listen to.

http://speakingoffaith.publicradio.org/ ... s/2009/tv/

it had lots of discussion about BSG and its impact on other facets of culture.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Mon 20 Jul , 2009 3:57 pm

Thanks for the link sf.

We've started rewatching the series. We watched the miniseries last night. The characters really change through the series and it really improved as time went on. It was so strange to watch it and know where the characters are going to end up.

It was also weird that they said Gaeta's name different in the miniseries. They said it 'GaIta' not 'Gayta'. Strange. Also, Jamie Bamber (Apollo) doesn't seem to quite have his American accent solid yet. :P

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the rewatch.

Also, only a few more days until the season 4 soundtrack is released! :banana: Season 4 contained so much incredibly awesome music and I can't wait to have it on CD...a double CD at that!

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Mon 20 Jul , 2009 7:48 pm
You are hearing me talk

"Haylo" changed to "Heelo" at some point too.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Mon 20 Jul , 2009 7:51 pm

Hmmm...I didn't catch 'Haylo'. :scratch:

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Thu 23 Jul , 2009 1:57 pm

Well frak. The release date for the S4 soundtrack got pushed back to August 10th. :x I seriously do not understand why other parts of the world are made to wait longer for releases than the US.

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Wed 12 Aug , 2009 12:40 pm
You are hearing me talk

Well I finally finished it, and I'm frankly annoyed. I spent all this time following the series just to have it end with the same old sermon telling us we need to follow our hearts instead of our heads, and that it doesn't matter what you believe as long as you believe something? I guess I don't know what things are like in Canada, but around here thinking too much and believing too little really is not the problem. I swear; one of these days I'm just going to write my own damn movie and only let NTs watch.

Some neat plot twists there at the end, though.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Wed 12 Aug , 2009 4:08 pm

I somewhat agree with you. While some of the destiny stuff was kewl (you gotta admit that the episode where Kara is talking with the piano player and ends up plunking out the Final Four theme was awesome...and how the theme ended being up the coordinates to earth), it did seem like religion/faith was the answer and that no one had much control over what was going to happen. While I like that HeadSix and HeadGaius turned out not to be figments of imaginations, I don't really buy into the angel stuff. Nor do I like that Kara wasn't really a human being.

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Wed 12 Aug , 2009 4:56 pm
You are hearing me talk

Was she definitely not human? I haven't done the commentary thing or had much time to reflect yet, but I walked away with the impression that she was an ordinary human who died and magically came back to life so she could help guide the fleet the rest of the way to New Earth. Speaking of which, was there ever any explanation for how she and the wreckage of her ship got from the maelstrom to old Earth?

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Wed 12 Aug , 2009 7:08 pm
Daydream Believer

No mention of her from old Earth to new Earth.

My take on it was don't buy all the hype, that and don't think humans live forever.

I noticed there were several Tolkien references throughout the series, and a few SW thrown in too.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Wed 12 Aug , 2009 7:08 pm

No one knows what she really was as far as I know. I just googled "what was Kara Thrace" just to make sure no new info is out and couldn't find any. Your theory could work, others think she was the child of a human and Cylon Model 7 Daniel and was somehow resurrected when her viper exploded. Others wonder if she was a fallen angel who needed to redeem herself.

In any case, I probably misspoke. Maybe she started as human but afterwards...who the frak knows.

I just found Ron Moore's podcast commentary on the last two episodes. I think I'll give it a listen and see if he says anything.

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Wed 12 Aug , 2009 8:02 pm

Okay, listed to the podcast and this is a rough transcription of what Ron Moore says:

"We decided this is the end of kara...that kara is a question that on some level cannot be answered to a certain extent. But she didn't want to be forgotten and that was the most important thing of who and what she was. She was resurrected, she came back...she's connected to some greater truth, and I felt like to put a definitive answer on that, that would take away from that...she's a much more powerful figure. There were various options we discussed in the writers room that would have given a definitive end, but none of them felt like (can't tell what he's saying) what she was. She was resurrected and she came back, she came back and took them to Earth and then she's gone and she's connected to something greater that they cannot understand, and I think then they can't understand it and if they can understand it then it would not be divine."

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Wed 12 Aug , 2009 8:19 pm
You are hearing me talk

So I guess she's pretty much whatever you want her to be. I've learned a little more about their writing process and one thing that's very clear is that the creators often threw weird things in just for the heck of it, without any real idea what they meant or where they would lead. For example, Moore said he didn't have any idea what the scene with Lee and the pigeon meant when he wrote it and that he still isn't sure. You can get away with a little of that, but too much and you write yourself into a corner and it all just becomes a mess when you start trying to wrap things up. I mentioned Steven King a little earlier; he often writes the same way and a lot of his novels have unsatisfying resolutions for that reason.

Of course the flipside of having so many things left hanging is that it means you're free to imagine whatever you want (within whatever constraints exist). I like to imagine that Apollo, Athena, and some others migrated north, eventually settled down in a region he named Thrace after Kara, and became the basis for the gods of Greek mythology. The Tighs went to Europe, where the Colonel became one-eyed Odin the Allfather and Ellen became the hypothesized ancestral mother-goddess (who was later split into Frigga and Freya when it was decided that promiscuity and motherhood didn't mix). And Baltar somehow got to Utah with his harem, where he wrote his ideas down in a golden book and buried it in the desert for head-Gaius to reveal to a certain Joseph Smith millennia later. :D

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Wed 12 Aug , 2009 8:48 pm

Dave_LF wrote:
For example, Moore said he didn't have any idea what the scene with Lee and the pigeon meant when he wrote it and that he still isn't sure.
He did? He didn't mention that in the podcast. To me the pidgeon symbolized Kara and Lee's relationship with her. Surely there has to be a reason why they stuck that in there.

abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 9 of 10  [ 196 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 16 7 8 9 10 »
Jump to: