Getting LOST

Post Reply   Page 90 of 91  [ 1817 posts ]
Jump to page « 187 88 89 90 91 »
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject: Re: Getting LOST
Posted: Tue 18 May , 2010 4:15 pm
Another bright red day

*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* wrote:
Did anyone else think it was funny two episodes ago when Jack kept running into 815ers and not just noting the coincidence but asking them about it too? Apparently this alternate universe is capable of communication.
It was weird that they all remembered their flight number! I don't even know my flight number when I'm on the actual plane.
I wish Sideways Jack and Island Jack were reversed. I actually don't mind the former in general.

Also, I'm starting to get really sad about this coming Sunday. I've never been with a show this long nor been so invested over the long term.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Posted: Tue 18 May , 2010 8:24 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

It only ends once. The rest is progress.
:P

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Wed 19 May , 2010 12:58 am

This video clip from Jimmy Kimmel is really funny. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Mon 24 May , 2010 3:59 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Excuse me, I came here looking for hugs. :nono:

What has this board become. :P

I still don't get a few things about the episode itself, but oh lawdy, a mega dosing of happy reunions works just fine. Off to play the soundtrack now, and read comments at ontd and twop. Next week: the backlash and realizing what shit they never explained. ;)

Happy Lost day, folks!

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
TheMary
Posted: Mon 24 May , 2010 2:00 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

I are sad that Lost is over :(

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 24 May , 2010 2:26 pm

SPOILER ALERT

read no further if you have not seen the last episode.

Are we not right back to the debate during season One? It was speculated that this was some sort of Dante's Purgatory - the island, the mountain etc. and these were lost souls trying to get to Heaven. The producers said it was NOT. But last nights episode strongly suggested - if not outright came out and said that it was with them all going to heaven at the conclusion. The last seconds of the show were exactly the same as the first minute of the pilot episode except this time Jack accepts his death and life and the dog lies down next to him.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Mon 24 May , 2010 5:39 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Everything was real except for the flash-sideways in this past season, which took place in a purgatory of sorts.

It was like the Dead Celebrities episode of South Park - they were all just waiting for each other to pass on in the real world so that they could move on to heaven or whatever all together... because their time on the island with each other was the most important time of their lives. It was also like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind's "meet me in Montauk" bit, except the memories are being triggered by other islanders (usually 815ers, since Jack and Juliet obviously had a life together but did not remember the island until they met Kate and Sawyer respectively).

The flash-sideways universe reminded me of the nexus from Star Trek Generations. Time runs differently there, so when Picard meets Kirk, who was sucked into it decades earlier, Kirk thinks he's just arrived. So the last scene in Lost is of Jack dying (therefore Kate, Sawyer, Miles, Richard, Claire, Lapidus, Hurley and Ben outlive him in the real world), even though he was the last to arrive at the church with the other islanders. We don't know when Hurley, Ben, and the Ajira plane passengers finally die, we just know that they will spend a lifetime in an idealized existence until they meet their constants from the 815 flight, at which point they'll head to that church to join up with the others. To each of them it'll seem like they'd all just arrived, even if in the real world, some people may have died decades later.

Jack may have been the last to get there because he took the longest to sort out his personal demons in that "purgatory" of idealized existence where he has a wife and son. He doesn't fully remember the island until he touches his father's coffin. Characters like Ben and Ana-Lucia are apparently not ready to leave this purgatory yet; Ben knows this about himself, while Desmond tells Hurley to carry on without AL. As a story-telling device, maybe it was done like this because they weren't the focus early on like the 815 fuselage survivors were. Maybe AL and Eko get their own church night. :P I don't care for the exclusion of Walt and Michael, though. Desmond is a fail safe, so rules don't really apply to him, and that's why he was on 815 in the purgatory.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 24 May , 2010 8:27 pm

If that is true, it destroys the only acceptance I came to after seeing the whole thing. :scratch:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Mon 24 May , 2010 11:26 pm

Jack still accepts his death and life, even if it involved a lame marriage instead of a cool one with Juliet. :P

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Tue 25 May , 2010 12:17 am
Daydream Believer

I still think they all died on the initial plane crash, and were left to sort out their demons before being able to move on together. i.e. There were no others, no smoke monster, no Jacob. Everyone (Ben, Richard, ect...) were originally on the plane, it crashed on some island, (not a magical island) and the lost souls had to figure out what to do. Their souls made up the story so everyone could find redemtion, Ben knew he wasn't at the point to move on (he said he hadn't worked everything out) so he was going to stay in Limbo. The lost souls had to work out the deadly sins before they could move on and did it together. I don't see how the producers can't say this isn't based on Dante's Divine Comedy. Of course I thought that Jack could also be representing a Frodo type person, going on to Valinor in the end.

They could have hired Jason and Grant of Ghost Hunters to explain things better...just sayin' :P

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Tue 25 May , 2010 12:51 am

Limbo gets Red Sox games? :P

Just saw an article about Mr. Eko wanting five times the offered price to appear in the finale. It also said that the character was meant to last four seasons, but was changed when the actor wanted out of his contract. So who knows.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Posted: Tue 25 May , 2010 8:52 am

It was very clear to me that what happened on the island really happened. The only part that was not real was what took place in the alternate time line in this season. As they found one another, the intense emotions of near-death experiences or touching a lost love triggered the memories of what their true lives had been. And with those memories came such incredible expressions of joy. That's what made me break down in tears: the look of joy on their faces.

They weren't going "Holy shit! I'm dead!" but "Yes, life ends but love endures, and we die together, not alone."

I watched the finale twice Sunday night, and both times was an emotional wreck. A fine end to my favorite TV show of all time.

Word shaper / Soul tender / Melody maker

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Tue 25 May , 2010 12:59 pm
Daydream Believer

Well I loved the Sawyer Juliette reuniting....They could have ended the show right there :love: :love: I was so happy he ended up with her instead of Kate.

The whole love endures thing is what reminded me of Frodo leaving the shire, the whole I've done what needed to be done and now will complete the journey, not that leaving is the end and the friendships and love endures.

I still can't help but think the whole thing was based on Dante's poem. Each of them had to over come their 'sins' to get to the church, Ben realized he had to stay in Limbo a bit longer. The rest through the alternate time line and the last parts of the island overcame their sins one by one. I'd even suggest Jacob represented Beatrice

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Posted: Tue 25 May , 2010 11:38 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

I have a lot of thoughts on the finale and the show in general.
I can't say I am totally thrilled with the sideways uni which took up all of season 6 and probably could have been encapsulated in a few episodes. Other than that aspect, I like the finale.

Yes they were alive on the island and all of that happened.

And remember back in season 3 with Mr Eko?
There was an episode called Psalm 23.

Well that pretty much gave the whole LOST thing away.
Quote:
Psalm 23
A psalm of David.
1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,

3 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.

4 Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death, [a]
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

6 Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Tue 25 May , 2010 11:42 pm

Kate's an asshole, why is she in heaven? :P

I read that in the script, MIB's name was Samuel. Significance? :uhoh:

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Posted: Wed 26 May , 2010 1:25 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

I'm pretty sure that Jack was portrayed as Jesus in the final scene.
Of course if you are looking at the show through the eyes of another faith, I am betting there is an equivalant.
Jack was the saviour. He was, to me, reminiscent of Jesus after being removed from the cross, with all the bloody hands and feet etc.

Of course the image sufffered nothing whatsoever that his father was named "Christian Shepard" and it was he that guided them through their final passage into whatever.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Wed 26 May , 2010 3:16 am
Daydream Believer

Well I always thought the Jacob thing was a biblical connection. And the fact that Jack's son was David in the sideways one. I did not know the MIB was Samuel. And Ben is also a biblical name, last son of Jacob.

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Wed 26 May , 2010 4:11 am
Best friends forever

And here I never saw even 5 minutes of this show.

I missed a lot, seemingly. ;)

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Wed 26 May , 2010 4:53 am

It was frustrating, but fun and interesting. :)

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Wed 26 May , 2010 5:34 am
The best things in life are not things

vison wrote:
And here I never saw even 5 minutes of this show.

I missed a lot, seemingly. ;)

Ooooh Good! I'm not the only one! :D

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 90 of 91  [ 1817 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 187 88 89 90 91 »
Jump to: