The Last Homely Site on the Web

Getting LOST

Post Reply   Page 91 of 91  [ 1817 posts ]
Jump to page « 187 88 89 90 91
Alatar
Post subject: Re: Getting LOST
Posted: Wed 26 May , 2010 8:04 am
of Vinyamar

I'm in the camp of people who watched 2 seasons and gave up. I'm not really regretting it...

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 26 May , 2010 1:56 pm

Question - the last thing they showed us was all the wreckage on the beach. Now if all that had been real and everything happened on that island, why was that wreckage still there as if the plane had just crashed or there was nobody there to clear it away in the first place?

The only ending that makes sense for me is that the plane crashed - everybody died - but the island was the Purgatory of Dante....( an island dominated by a mountain .... with a Prince named Charles who has problems with is daughters idea of marriage) .... and everything we saw was just the lost souls of the people trying to work things out so that they could move on. To me, that makes sense.

All the other stuff is just confusing as hell because you can introduce other stuff that happens that throws it all off.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Wed 26 May , 2010 4:24 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Alatar, was it the first two seasons? I happened to love 1, but 2 was definitely ass. Reminded me of The Two Towers, in that it screwed with things I liked and sort of negated some best moments from 1. It was better upon a second viewing, though.

Their best season by far was 4. I thought it was exciting, illuminating, and managed to introduce new characters that weren't annoying or useless. Every episode was perfect. I thought it was because that was the first season to air after they decided how many episodes would be left, so there was a more clear idea of what to do with the story. But season 5 was kind of nutty and 6 managed to dawdle even into the third-last episode! So whatever the reason, I'm glad for season 4 at least. ;)

Six seasons is not very long. Not when there are sitcoms still on air that are nearing their tenth, despite a lack of creativity (and sometimes ratings). I used to rent a lot of shows on DVD and unless they're wretched, six is a breeze. I think the first three of Lost were 24 episodes each, and then the last three were 16; so as a series, it's a bit shorter than other shows that were on air for as many years.

Even aside from the fact that I watched season 1 in three or four days, I always found the episodes easy to pop back like candy. :P

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Wed 26 May , 2010 6:37 pm
Daydream Believer

http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/05/24/lost- ... lanations/

Stolen from FB. I like the explanations, and it doesn't discount Dante's Inferno.

Also Stolen from FB :devil:

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 26 May , 2010 7:08 pm

I guess I am doomed to being a heretic on this. The plane crashed. Everybody died. The island was purgatory.

That is my story and I am sticking with it.

Thanks to Ara for that link. It was a good read. And it had a truly great line within it.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Posted: Thu 27 May , 2010 2:09 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

I've read quite a bit on a LOST forum, and I am never ceased to be amazed at how many people refuse to take anything at all at face value with regards to this show.
I swear someone has to hold up neon signs within the show with pointy arrows and 8x10 glossies with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back before anyone will take things as they are presented.

What happened on the island was real. They made that perfectly clear and in no uncertain terms.
A scene shown during the credits after the episode ended does in now way detract from that. ESPECIALLYYY since there are footprints ALL OVER the place in the sand.

They survived the crash. They were flawed. They had to come to terms with certain things in their lives.
They all had opportunities to perform and to let go.

Some succeeded and some did not or took longer to actually let go and enter into the "waiting area", or mutually constructed realm where they could all get together and NOT die alone.

There are plot holes aplenty in this and lots of sloppy writing all about, but in this aspect they were pretty damned clear. They survived the crash. The island was/is real.

The only thing related to dead and purgatory was the alternate uni.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Thu 27 May , 2010 2:24 am

Never watched 2 seconds of the show. Wanted to wait till the end to see if it seemed like something I'd wanna get on board with.
I think I'll pass.

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Posted: Thu 27 May , 2010 3:28 am
Another bright red day

I had very mixed feelings about the finale. On one hand, they did tie up most of the characters very nicely. Ben and Hurley as the island's guardians was absolutely one of the highlights of the episode. I can't think of a better duo to be in charge of that place, especially with Rose, Bernard, and Vincent to keep them company! The well of light going out, Eloise's comment about Dan, the Juliet/Sawyer reunion . . . lots of great moments.

The two bits I didn't buy were Shannon/Sayid and the battle with Smocke. I think the first speaks for itself. The battle with Smocke was well done as it was, but I wanted MORE. That was set up as the ultimate rivalry, the ultimate battle, really just above and beyond anything we've seen so far. I get that he was made mortal, but that's so anti climactic. I wanted ALL of them to be involved, I wanted to see what Benjamin was plotting, I wanted it to be EPIC. Not only was it over too quickly, it was over half way through the episode!

But even more than that, I have not come to terms with the alt yet. Maybe it was the saccharine reunion scene in the church, but it felt like it canceled out everything I spent the last six years watching and wondering and pondering about. All the pain, betrayal, death, and sacrifice that these people endured evaporated. No matter who they were in life (I'm looking at you, Sayid), they got to go be happy and heavenly. It just felt too nice, more Touched by an Angel than Lost. That's not to say there aren't things I didn't like about it -- Ben's lovely little moment apologizing to Locke, for instance, or Juliet and Sawyer's reunion. I suspect this is more an issue of execution (not to mention my personal taste for tragedy and cataclysm...) but it didn't quite jibe.

As far as the plane wreckage over the credits, although I did spend a couple of days trying to figure out if the island was looping or some similar crazy scenario, it was nothing of the sort.
Quote:
Those photographs were not part of the "Lost" story at all. The network added them to soften the transition from the moving ending of the series to the 11 p.m. news and never considered that it would confuse viewers about the actual ending of the show.

"The images shown during the end credits of the 'Lost' finale, which included shots of Oceanic 815 on a deserted beach, were not part of the final story but were a visual aid to allow the viewer to decompress before heading into the news," an ABC spokesperson wrote in an e-mail Tuesday."
Not gonna lie, I love that they decided to give us a cushion in between Lost and . . . everything else. Thanks, ABC execs!

Finally, the end. The end of The End as it were. That last moment, that last shot was sheer perfection. Jack's slow walk back to where he began, Vincent coming to lie down next to him, and finally, the shot of his eye closing. That could not have been better in anyway. Apparently Darlton had that image from the very beginning (and told Matt Fox about it). For all their faults, when they get it right, they get it really right.

I know it was time for the show to end, but I'll miss it nonetheless.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Thu 27 May , 2010 4:48 am
Daydream Believer

Well at least it wasn't a Journey song and a blank screen. :D

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Thu 27 May , 2010 11:07 am
Milk and kisses

I'm angry that all the fascinating scientific stuff like time travel and other intriguing questions like the role of Dharma and Widmore were abandoned in favour of a saccharine "spiritual" ending. Bah. Another Battlestar Galactica. :(

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Posted: Thu 27 May , 2010 4:17 pm
Another bright red day

I kind of felt Battlestarred too, but it's not quite the same. At least they didn't use the alt to explain everything that happened on the island! If it helps, apparently they're going to include answers to quite a few of the mysteries on the DVD set that they felt would have disrupted the narrative flow of the episode.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Posted: Sun 30 May , 2010 12:07 am
His Rosyness

Berhael wrote:
I'm angry that all the fascinating scientific stuff like time travel and other intriguing questions like the role of Dharma and Widmore were abandoned in favour of a saccharine "spiritual" ending. Bah. Another Battlestar Galactica. :(
So that's why you didn't post anything on FB about it! I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the ending you wanted. For me it was almost perfection. One of the few times that film or TV has deeply moved me and caused me to relive the emotions for hours afterwards. Surely the end had to be the emotional climax of the characters journeys rather than an effort to tie up every single loose end? And what would there be to discuss if they did? But I suppose no point trying to convince someone that something they found saccharine wasn't at all :P

I didn't feel all the characters were being given a happy ending either. My over-riding sense was one of melancholy, because they couldn't enjoy these 'idealised' relationships for any more than fleeting moments in their real lives. And yes, Jack's final moments of laying down to die.. just beautifully done. A perfect end to an amazing journey.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Sat 28 Aug , 2010 4:05 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

The funny thing is that when Lost does use orchestral music, it's rather beautiful. :P I love Michael Giacchino's score!

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Thu 27 Jan , 2011 10:46 am

This was kinda cute:
http://www.cracked.com/video_18190_lost ... thing.html

I loved this:
http://www.cracked.com/video_18177_snea ... t-dvd.html

"Featuring an alternate reality where Rose is white, Bernard is black, Kate still sucks and Locke is still in a wheelchair, but he's fuckin' Batman!!!!" :LMAO:

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Sat 29 Jan , 2011 11:45 pm

I never watched Lost but I might have to get that for the polar bear...

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Sun 30 Jan , 2011 9:34 am

[ img ]

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Sun 30 Jan , 2011 1:47 pm

:Wooper:

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 91 of 91  [ 1817 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 187 88 89 90 91
Jump to: