board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Gardening?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
Wilma
Post subject: Gardening?
Posted: Tue 10 Apr , 2007 1:35 pm
Takoyaki is love

I was thinking about taking up the hobby of gardening, and since spring is starting, I was thinking about taking a look at some starter ideas. I tried a to read a gardening magazine but it was too advanced. So I thought I would post here and see if you guys have any advice. :D I live in an appartment so Any garden I have would have to be potted plants. Also I can't start until May because right now I am too broke to buy seeds.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 10 Apr , 2007 7:48 pm

Seeds aren't going to cost you as much as potting soil and pots will.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 10 Apr , 2007 8:01 pm
Daydream Believer

Cherry tomatoes grow well indoors for part of the year. Also you can grow an herb garden easliy indoors, all year long, fresh herbs :love:

Marie is right though the potting soil and pots will be the most expensive item. Terra cotta pots (clay pots) are pretty cheap, but are heavier than plastic pots.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Apr , 2007 5:24 am
Sharpe-sighted

Wilma, the discounters over here sell Kid's starter packs in the springtime. Complete with soil, tiny pots, seeds and a small plastique greenhouse for the window sill. It's rather cheap and comes with a handbook for beginners. Maybe you can get one of these?

I could send you one - but without the soil and seeds. :P

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Apr , 2007 11:53 pm
Takoyaki is love

Well I will look for something like that around here.
About herb gardens I have never been a big fan of those sort of things. Sorry. I am a flower fan. I am thinking about possibly buying some plants from a nursery since I will be starting late in the season.

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 20 Apr , 2007 5:56 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

What are the light levels in your apartment Wilma? Are you near the ground and shaded or facing north or are you high up? How hot does the room get in the full sun? Are the windows big or small? Lastly, do you have a balcony of some sorts? You see it is light rather than heat that plants want but sometimes windows deliver more heat than some plants can take.
Seeds should be cheap. Making friends with gardeners is another good way of getting cheap plants. Some bulbs make good indoor flowers but that involves a little expense. You could ask for one or two as presents from family or friends.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 20 Apr , 2007 9:55 pm
Takoyaki is love

The apartment is on the 6th floor facing south. We get lots of sun in the morning and midday. Indoor plants don't do well in the aprtment. My sis attempting caring for some indoor plants years ago and it didn't go to well. It dosen't get very hot in the apartment though. But humid days are horrible. Usually we get humid summers.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Apr , 2007 12:04 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

So plenty of light and humidity. You should have a good choice. What about a climbing jasmine? Small white very fragrant flowers and the foliage would filter and soften the sunlight.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment”
Jump to: