Is no one talking about Harry Potter anymore? :P

Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 55 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3
Di of Long Cleeve
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 3:11 pm
Frodo's girl through and through

Ha. Slytherins are SEXY. :D

They really do assemble the most fantastic cast for these films, don't they?

I enjoy the HP stories. I have criticisms of Rowling as a writer but I have to hand it to her, her ideas do translate fabulously to screen. :)

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 8:51 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Quote:
As for that Natalia chick playing Tonks, I've seen the piccies all right and she seemed okay. I'll wait until the movie comes out though.
Aside from being totally hot, she is perfect in the part.

And Gambon was waaayyy better this time around. Last time I was dissappointed with his performance, but this was by far the best of all the HP flims.

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 10:22 pm
His Rosyness

Quote:
And Gambon was waaayyy better this time around. Last time I was dissappointed with his performance, but this was by far the best of all the HP flims.
Yes he was better.. still not in Richard Harris's league though (I know many will disagree!).

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 10:38 pm
Milk and kisses

I liked it a lot, very dark. :D

As for me fancying little Dan... I'm already married to an HP clone who is ALSO called Dan, so there. ;)

(Stupid laptop won't let me make long posts so I can't write a proper review)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 Jul , 2007 3:08 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

HBP spoiler (if you're a poor soul and haven't already read it ;) )

There's a group on Facebook called, "Remember children, Snape didn't kill Dumbledore--Michael Gambon did."

:LMAO:

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 Jul , 2007 3:19 am
You are hearing me talk

Phoenix, IMO, easily has the best mood and visuals of the series, and Dumbledore pleading with Harry to remember that it's the differences that matter is probably the most powerful moment in the films so far, but I noticed quite a few plot holes (several of which have already been mentioned here). Readers will fill them in without even noticing in most cases, but I don't think nonreaders will stand much of a chance.

Profile Quote
The OG Borry
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 Jul , 2007 6:58 am
The best things in life are not things

Location: here....<_< yeah here thats Ceres, CA for you stalkers

Ill be spoiling things if you read on.

Special effects were amazingly superb and the acting didnt make me vomit in this one! The first 20-30 minutes of this movie, minus the dementor scene, were horrible though. No dialog, no interesting things, no anything. Mrs Figg = bad, period. She was horrid with her "Dementors here...weird sorta...*yawn* ho hum, go inside harry :D" WTF was up with her really? Umbridge on the other hand was amazingly played, just perfect IMO. Fred and George's escape didnt have as much emphasis as i'd have hoped but at least it was in there. I was sad to see how many cliched battle scenes there were, every single one had some annoyingly blatant black vs white, good vs evil overtone that was just so unneeded. Without the coloring though those scenes were awesome. It was never shown how the order got the news to go to the Ministry, Harry tells Snape like in the book but it never shows Snape telling anyone. And Im sorry Di, but I like much better the way Neville tells Harry about his parents in the movie compared to the way he really never tells anyone in the books.

Overall though the book is better, you cant beat it. Its always going to be that way. Never will there be a movie based on a 500+ page novel short of 10 hours long which will ever exceed that novel. There are just too many "What about X and Y in the book???" 's and too many plot holes and too many clashes with the way a person views a character or place in the novel. But they still will keep you entertained at least :P
Borry

Borry: equality works both ways cheater!
Don: so does not

So I take pictures now, check em out if you'd like. Here you go.

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 Jul , 2007 8:49 am
Frodo's girl through and through

SPOILERY DISCUSSION
The OG Borry wrote:
[The first 20-30 minutes of this movie, minus the dementor scene, were horrible though. No dialog, no interesting things, no anything. Mrs Figg = bad, period.
What was wrong with Mrs Figg? :scratch: She was great. :)

As a non-fan, and as someone who doesn't have an extensive knowledge of the book, OG, I found those first 20 minutes absolutely brilliant and riveting. I loved the opening scene: the camera slowly panning down onto that panoramic view of the summer fields of South East England, Harry walking through a cornfield with the sun burning down, Harry sitting disconsolately on that swing in that rather creepy playground (reminded me of Sarah Connor's nightmares in 'Terminator 2'!) and then the confrontation with Dudley and the Dementor attack in the underpass ... it was a FANTASTIC opener ... unsettling, jolting, completely riveting.

Oh, and when Dudley taunted him about Cedric and his mum, there was a tear in Harry's eye.

Baby! :bawl:

Fred and George's exit kicked ASS.
Quote:
I was sad to see how many cliched battle scenes there were, every single one had some annoyingly blatant black vs white, good vs evil overtone that was just so unneeded.
:scratch: The books aren't about good v evil? :scratch: Besides, Jason Isaac's portrayal of Lucius Malfoy is simply delicious. He sounds so REASONABLE when he tells Harry to hand the prophecy over ... tempt me to the Dark Side, Lucius, go on.
Quote:
It was never shown how the order got the news to go to the Ministry, Harry tells Snape like in the book but it never shows Snape telling anyone.
As a non-fan, I worked that out for myself. The Potter virgins have to do a bit of work here. That's fine. :)

I do agree there are plot gaps in this film. But so much delighted me about it that I can overlook that.

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 Jul , 2007 9:30 am
of Vinyamar

Iavas_Saar wrote:
Quote:
Yes he was better.. still not in Richard Harris's league though (I know many will disagree!).

Honestly I always felt Harris phoned in his performance for Dumbledore. He was a fantastic actor and a superb ambassador for Ireland, but he was a very weak Dumbledore. I'm not sure if it was his age or simply that he didn't take it seriously, but his performance was just so lacklustre it was embarassing. Gamdon, on the other hand really delivers, particularly in this movie.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 Jul , 2007 12:00 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Personally, I don't feel that either actor capture the streak of zaniness and quirky sense of humour that Dumbledore displays in the books. Mind you, if I hadn't read the books, I wouldn't have noticed anything missing from their portrayals.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 Jul , 2007 6:25 pm

Alatar wrote:
Iavas_Saar wrote:
Quote:

Honestly I always felt Harris phoned in his performance for Dumbledore. He was a fantastic actor and a superb ambassador for Ireland, but he was a very weak Dumbledore. I'm not sure if it was his age or simply that he didn't take it seriously, but his performance was just so lacklustre it was embarassing. Gamdon, on the other hand really delivers, particularly in this movie.
The only annoying thing about Gambon is his patchy attempt at an Irish accent...

But I think that he is miles better than Harris.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 Jul , 2007 8:37 pm

SPOILERS!!

Borry wrote:
The first 20-30 minutes of this movie, minus the dementor scene, were horrible though. No dialog, no interesting things, no anything.
I didn't LOVE the first half hour, but I didn't think it was horrible! If anything, I thought it was a bit rushed--I wish they'd put in some more about the Order of the Phoenix. Other than that, I thought it was pretty good. And I thought Mrs. Figg was great!
Quote:
And Im sorry Di, but I like much better the way Neville tells Harry about his parents in the movie compared to the way he really never tells anyone in the books.
I like it better in the books. I like how everyone sees Neville as this sort of blundering, pathetic figure--but then there's this whole incredible, touching aspect of his life that he doesn't say a word about. He doesn't want anyone to feel sorry for him because of his parents. I didn't get that feeling as much from the movie.
Jude wrote:
Personally, I don't feel that either actor capture the streak of zaniness and quirky sense of humour that Dumbledore displays in the books. Mind you, if I hadn't read the books, I wouldn't have noticed anything missing from their portrayals.
Yes, I agree. :) For me Dumbledore's catch phrase is "nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak" from P/SS. :D I can't imagine either of the actors being able to accurately capture that line.
Crucifer wrote:
The only annoying thing about Gambon is his patchy attempt at an Irish accent...
In the HP movies? I never noticed that. :scratch: He was born in Ireland, though.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 Jul , 2007 9:26 pm

Yeh, but he has an English accent, and at times there is a sort of Irish twang in his accent, because he puts it in. He talks about it in the Special Features of PoA.

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Jul , 2007 3:50 am
Wembley bound

Well I went and saw it last week and was thoroughly impressed!

Brilliant with a capital bee!

Like many others I too believed that the this particular story would be translated better on screen than some others perhaps. It was a long book with little action. I have to say that this is my favorite so far. Before this one my favorite was the very first film. Philosopher's Stone is classic in my mind and done perfectly. I didn't like the style of editing in GoF, really quite annoying. Cuaron directed PoA like he had a blast-ended skrewt (sp???) up his arse and that coupled with Gambon destroying Dumbledore really turned me off. There was nothing inherently wrong with CoS, it was just a dull story to begin with, even the book is my least favorite. So overall OotP is the greatest improvment to the franchise (IMHO) in four years or so.

I particularily liked the music during the fighting scenes at the Ministry of Magic. The story flowed nicely and Dolores Umbridge was played as perfectly as a ball directly in front of David Beckham's right foot.

Also an excellent choice for Tonks as well as Bellatrix.

If I felt like complaining I guess I think that Sirius' death scene could have done with a bit more flare. I imagined it a bit differently in my mind. First I didn't know if he had been hit with a curse or not and then he just fell back and disapeared. I thought it was the curtain that killed him and not the curse in the book (I could be wrong), but in the film it looked like Bellatrix got him with the Avada Kedavra. I really don't know. Quite confused (confunded perhaps) really.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Jul , 2007 4:23 am

In the book, Sirius fell Behind the Veil. It was a metaphor for his death, and a lovely one too I thought. In the movie, Bellatrix kills him with Avada Kedavra and it's only then when he goes Behind the Veil.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 55 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3
Jump to: