Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
gimli_axe_wielder
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jul , 2007 12:36 am
The easily amuse-OH SHINY!

I liked the book better..
*ducks thrown objects*

:P

I liked the movie, but I thought they left too much out. I realize why they did it etc. I fully understand, but I want to have my cake and eat it so there!

Things and stuff.

Profile Quote
Lily Rose
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jul , 2007 1:45 am
stranded in dreamland

With all of them, the book was much better. The first movie was especially boring. Then again, the first book was also pretty boring.

I don't have faith in faith
I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jul , 2007 7:02 am
Triathlete

I just saw it with my daughter (Aiwe) and enjoyed it very much. Great special effects (though they didn't scream "I'm a special effect, aren't you impressed!!11???"), and great music by Nicholas Hooper (much to my relief, it wasn't John Williams).

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
None_Elf_Ear
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jul , 2007 10:13 am
HM Indefatigable

Errr actually I might enjoy the movie more than the book, though that used to be the 2nd favourite of mine from the whole series (coming after the 4th). But then the 6th came out and changed the top again, so now it's basically 6,4,5,3,1,2 or smth similar :damnfunny:

Anyway the major sin of the 5th book is that it tends to offer so much detail, you've gotta be a freak like me to be able to re-read it countlessly, to mark things, take notes AND check the sites as well. And after all, in the 5th book the speculations started up, and this made everything even more complicated.

As for that Natalia chick playing Tonks, I've seen the piccies all right and she seemed okay. I'll wait until the movie comes out though.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jul , 2007 1:47 pm
Frodo's girl through and through

I thought it was fantastic. :)

In fact, I liked it so much I'm going again tonight! :D

I am not a Harry Potter fan so I don't approach the films from a fannish or puristy perspective at all. I simply enjoy them very much as films. I couldn't tell you where the film of OotP differs from the book - I did think that some things in the story seemed to get very hasty treatment.

But overall I was bowled over by the style and atmosphere of the film. It's tense, exciting, emotional, and the battle in the Department of Mysteries is just FABULOUS!

I loved the first 3 books, thought they were delightful. Felt that JK was losing her magic touch a bit in the fourth. Fifth - OotP - bored me to tears. Half-Blood Prince was a huge improvement and recovered a bit of the old magic. Looking forward to Deathly Hallows like fun, but will be amazed if JK can tie up all those loose ends she's left dangling from other books.

Loved Luna in the film. Loved Tonks. Loved Helena Bonham Carter as Belladonna (looking forward to much more of her in HPB).

Gary Oldman gives a lovely performance as Sirius.

There's not enough Snape in the film, but then there never is. :D I love Snape! :D :love:

Young Dan is excellent. So is Emma Watson. There's far more chemistry between those two than there is between Film Hermione and Film Ron. :D

Enjoyed the Harry/Cho interlude. Muchly. :blackeye:

Young Dan is, to be frank, quite the dish. :devil:

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jul , 2007 7:40 pm
His Rosyness

Very nice review Di!

And I can see Dan making girls everywhere swoon!

We think we might go back to see the IMAX version.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jul , 2007 8:05 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Ooh, the Imax version - it is so worth it. :thumbsup

Here's a free tip: if you have them, wear contacts that day instead of glasses. I had trouble fitting and balancing the 3-D glasses over my specs.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jul , 2007 9:04 pm
His Rosyness

The IMAX version is 3D??

Shows how much I know about IMAX!!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
EdaintheRanger
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jul , 2007 10:02 pm
The Red Fox

You had probs with 3D specs Jude-dude?

Strange I never had any when I wear my specs...

Though I guess they could well have moved on since the Jaws movies. ;)

We need courage, faith and Chocolate Cake.

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jul , 2007 10:04 pm

Hey Iavas! :)
Iavas_Saar wrote:
And I can see Dan making girls everywhere swoon!
Including women old enough to be his mother. :D :blackeye:

Oh well, look, he's LEGAL.

:Wooper:

Boy, if this is showing at the London IMAX, I am DEFINITELY seeing it there!

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Profile Quote
eärendil
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jul , 2007 10:39 pm
citoyenne du monde

Well, I may be seen as the heretic in the place but I hated the movie.

The worst deception ever... I think the last time I was so disappointed by a movie was when I went to see Troy and Leoba, Din and many others can testify that I was VERY VERY disappointed.

The only thing I thought of when I got out of the room was 'I am so glad I didn't spend $15 to see it IMAX.'

I completely understand the need to cut and choose because of the length of the book, but here, we have something void and useless. They should not have made the film honestly.

Well that is how I feel about it right now

I Endure in order to Reflect
Transcending Order
I seal the Matrix of Endlessness
With the Cosmic tone of Presence
I am guided by the power of Spirit

Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but
Because I knew you,
I have been changed for good

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jul , 2007 10:49 pm
His Rosyness

Quote:
I completely understand the need to cut and choose because of the length of the book, but here, we have something void and useless.
I had only read the book once, around the time it came out, so did not remember it that well - the only thing I remember really liking in the book that didn't make it into the film was the visit to the hospital, seeing Lockhart and the Longbottoms. That is an extra few minutes I think the film could have handled without getting too long.

But what else was missing?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jul , 2007 11:08 pm
Aspiring to heresy

eärendil wrote:
The worst deception ever...
Je pense que le mot que tu cherches est "disappointment". ;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
eärendil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 12:04 am
citoyenne du monde

Jude wrote:
eärendil wrote:
The worst deception ever...
Je pense que le mot que tu cherches est "disappointment". ;)
Indeed, but I was deceived as well :P :P...
Nah me tired really.

Iavas, honestly I am still too angry having spent $11 for a crappy movie to actually have a real discussion about it. So many things are missing; the meeting with the Longbottoms being also one part that would have had its place in the movie.
Ron not being a prefect, not being keeper for Quidditch that we don't see. Where is the Inquisitorial squad being inquisitorial? Where is the use of Kreacher's treason and Sirius at the Ministry? Who is Mrs Figg? Where is the attack on MacGonagall? Where is the attack on Hagrid? Where are the OWL orals?
I could go on for ever... As I said some things needed cutting but here they did the cutting with an axe (no offence Gimli but they don't handle it as a dwarf would ;))

I Endure in order to Reflect
Transcending Order
I seal the Matrix of Endlessness
With the Cosmic tone of Presence
I am guided by the power of Spirit

Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but
Because I knew you,
I have been changed for good

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 2:30 am
His Rosyness

eärendil wrote:
Iavas, honestly I am still too angry having spent $11 for a crappy movie to actually have a real discussion about it. So many things are missing; the meeting with the Longbottoms being also one part that would have had its place in the movie.
Ron not being a prefect, not being keeper for Quidditch that we don't see. Where is the Inquisitorial squad being inquisitorial? Where is the use of Kreacher's treason and Sirius at the Ministry? Who is Mrs Figg? Where is the attack on MacGonagall? Where is the attack on Hagrid? Where are the OWL orals?
I could go on for ever... As I said some things needed cutting but here they did the cutting with an axe (no offence Gimli but they don't handle it as a dwarf would ;))
So to keep the film at the same length, what would you take out of the film that they did include?

Personally I think all the things you mention are not as important as what was in the film.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 8:54 am

I have to be honest ... in the book, I wanted to slap Harry. In the film, I was like: "baby, come to mama!"

I loved the way Dan played Harry's anger (it's your hormones, dear, it's not just Voldemort :D ) as a burning, lonely desperation ... much more effective than the way Rowling writes him, to be blunt.

I think her books make fantastic films but I do gripe about her writing, I'm afraid.

I loved Harry's confrontation with Lucius Malfoy - very well done, that, very classy. On a level with Frodo confronting Saruman, in a way.

And Harry's final speech to Voldemort ... good stuff indeed. Yep, definitely a touch of Frodo v. Saruman.

I have to say, though, that Lucius could tempt me over to the Dark Side any day. :D Film Lucius is of the awesome. :love:

Roll on HBP! :cheers:

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 10:07 am
of Vinyamar

Saw it last night and I have to agree. Its far better than the book. I was particularly pleased about the fact that they didn't have that Deus Ex Machina where the Statues all come to life and save the day. There were a few unexplained continuity issues. I don't remember Umbridge banning broomsticks in the movie, so the whole "How do we get there? We'll fly!" bit was kinda out of left field. But overall, fantastic.

I missed the bit where Harry says to Lucius about "Last time I saw you was hiding behind a deatheater mask" or something similar. Or was that in this book? Don't remember.

Anyway. Loved it. And I loved the Harry/Ginny foreshadowing, and the fact that she's being set up as an extremely talented witch.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 12:27 pm
Aspiring to heresy

***Warning! Movie spoilers included!***

One thing I realized after the fact is that the Cho Chang theme is not given any closure. In the movie, her friend's part is cut out and it is Cho herself that gives them away (hey, I did warn you about spoilers! Don't look at me like that!). So, she is quite understandable snubbed by everyone.

Then Harry finds out that she was tricked with veritaserum potion. But she drops out of the movie, so the Harry-Cho theme is left hanging. (If I remember, in the book they're always fighting, so the relationship just sort of fizzles out).

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 1:15 pm

Yes, that was a bit of a shame, that they just left it like that, Jude. :neutral:

Still ... that mistletoe scene is :love:

Honestly. This movie has turned me into a raving fangirl. :LMAO:

Profile Quote
Shadowjack
Post subject: Saw it last night.
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 3:03 pm
The Keeper of the Splendiferous Sword

Frankly although I'm a huge book worm, I found the series boring. Stopped trying to read them.

The movies on the other hand I`ve enjoyed quite a bit.

Just saw the new one last night. Actually liked the addled in the head blonde girl LUNA,better than the main cast. Thought Potter and his little crew were rather boring this time around. Most all the actual fighting and grafix centered around other characters.

Good movie though. Mostly liked the bad guys. They seem to be the only ones in the movie with brains.

[ img ]

Some there be that shadows kiss;
Such have but a shadows bliss.
-Shakespeare-

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 55 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Jump to: