board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Sunshine

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject: Sunshine
Posted: Wed 01 Aug , 2007 1:03 am
Another bright red day

I went to see this movie yesterday, enticed by the title and the promise of spectactular visuals.

Directed by Danny Boyle, it takes place 50 years in the future. The sun is going out and a mission has been launched to try and restart it -- Icarus II. Icarus I vanished. The crew of eight's job is to detonate a stellar bomb and save Earth. That is all that matters.

Before launching into spoilers, I must say that if you have any interest at all in seeing this movie, go see it on the big screen. It is astonishingly beautiful and that alone is worth the price of admission. I was slightly (okay, at times more than slightly) horrified (which is at least partially due to the fact that almost nothing horrifies me more than the idea of being burned alive which is kind of a problem is a movie about a mission to the sun) but still I feel myself drawn to it, fascinated by it, and honestly, once I get over it and can bring myself to watch it again, I think I will end up loving it and for the moment I really want to discuss it. I hope that makes sense, but I don't think it does. Point is, it's brilliant.

You can find a trailer here and the official site here.

Okay, so, spoilers.

To start off, the characters. The crew of eight is wonderful -- perfectly written and cast. They all felt very real. The movie is terse, which is just right. Everything seems, from the from their interactions to their reactions, etc. I could honestly count the whole cast as a stand out, but I was particularly drawn to Cillian Murphy as the physicist, Capa. He was someone I would have wanted to be friends with and Murphy was brilliant. He has this one line, after the pilot asks him if he's afraid. He describes what it will look like and then he says "I think it will be beautiful. No, I'm not scared." And it has stuck with me all day somehow. It's very mundane sounding, I know.

They all die. That's not the spoiler it sounds like, you know they're all going to die and it tells you right out on the front of the movie's official home page. It has videos of all of the characters' deaths labeled No One Survived: Not the _________ (Fill in position on the ship). So death and mortality and how you die is sort of a big theme which I think is interesting in general and also as the Tolkien fans that almost all of us here are.

In the end (*major* spoiler coming up), Capa is alone in the center of the bomb as he detonates it and it goes off exactly as he described and you know what? It is so incredibly beautiful that I could not help but think "What a wonderful way to die."

There were parts of the movie I outright couldn't watch. As I said, being burned to death is something I really can't handle and there is one character who has essentially had all of his skin burned off so I didn't watch any scenes he was in because that was gross. But putting that aside and the fact that I really wont' be able to watch it again for a long time, I am still fascinated by it, by Capa and Searles, the psych officer who found himself strangely drawn to the light, and of course by the sunshine.

The story didn't always work for me. There are things that definitely stretch suspension of belief and there are plot holes but honestly, none of that detracted too much in the end because what got me was the characters and the aesthetics and the writing, not the story itself, the chronology and whatnot.

I walked out yesterday thinking Well there's a movie I'll never see again! But now I can't stop thinking about it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Aug , 2007 11:43 am
DomiKNITrix

SPOILERS

It is a very good film, I must say. I hadn't expected that! Generally, I dislike sci-fi or any film set in space. I didn't have any high expectations for this film, but I was very pleasantly surprised! Despite only watching it on my small laptop screen, it was very good, though I wish I could have seen it all on the big screen instead to see the colours better.

MoS, I agree with you on the beautiful death. It looked amazing!

I wasn't certain if everyone would die, so that came as a surprise to me. I was hoping the last one would live, but that wouldn't have been quite as good an ending. It has a much greater impact this way.

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 31 Jan , 2008 7:55 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

I watched Sunshine last week after having missed it in theaters grr and I loved it. It was visually stunning and kept me on the edge of my seat as I didn't know too much about the movie to begin with.

The last scene with Capa really was amazing and beautiful. I'd watch Sunshine again if only to pick up on stuff I might have missed the first time. I really like Danny Boyle and once again he didn't disappoint.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Jonny
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Feb , 2008 6:11 am
pixel-pusher

I am IN LOVE with this film.

“And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

Profile Quote
RELStuart
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Apr , 2008 12:07 am
Legendury speller

At first I didn't see any similarities in style to 28 weeks later. But as I got into the movie I could see the influence of the director.

If they had only used his services in 28 months later!! Would have been a much better movie!

I did like the movie. It was odd. What is the attraction of being overwhelmed by looking into the sun? The thought by itself sounds so odd as to be almost silly. But it is portrayed very well in the movie and you can almost sympathize. Almost.

The visuals were very well done.

"When people don't believe in you, you have to believe in yourself. "
Pierce Brosnan

"Please don't disillusion me. I haven't had breakfast yet." Card

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment”
Jump to: