The Last Homely Site on the Web

Stardust

Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 55 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 11 Aug , 2007 3:54 pm
Best friends forever

Our Vancouver Sun reviewer liked it. It's getting good reviews elsewhere, too. I think I might just go to see it and believe me I don't go to many movies.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 11 Aug , 2007 5:54 pm
Not so deep as a well

I'll be seeing it tomorrow. And I see few these days that aren't for kids. It's a date movie for us. :)

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 12 Aug , 2007 4:32 am
Same as it ever was

Well, I did see it, and I would recommend it. It is a nice fun movie that is not at all kidlike (no Shrek overtones, no Pixar cuteness, no funny talking animals, well, there were one or two scenes with animals that WERE funny...:D)

Mostly, I would give it an overall B+. There are a few dull moments, and there are also some places where the movie just moves too fast for the casual viewer to make sense. But, then again, there are some really funny moments, and some great scenes, and I LOVED some of the scenery (mostly shot on location in various parts of the UK from what I read). There is also just enough camp to keep it from falling down from taking itself too seriously, and Michelle Pfeiffer is especially good at some of this. Robert De Niro also does his part, in spite of some critics' claims that he seemed superfluous, I really like his role.

It does start off a bit slow, but that slow start does come into play later on, so it was not without its place. I have to say that the one actor who seemed to let me down a bit was indeed Claire Danes, she is good, but her character could have been so much better, she is more or less the main star of the story (bad pun aside :D). But, everyone else I loved, and it is one of those flicks that is probably even better the second time around where one can start looking at the nuances and missed details.

Put it this way, if you do not go see it at the theatre, definitely at least see it on dvd. I know I will be buying it when the dvd comes out.

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 12 Aug , 2007 1:05 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Well, I finished the book last night, which was fantastic.

The movie isn't out yet, but I can't wait!

I think Natalia Tena (Tonks) should be Yvaine though...

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 12 Aug , 2007 11:03 pm
Not so deep as a well

Saw it today with the wife, and glad to have done so. Good movie, SUPERB date flick. :) I find myself wanting to go visit the Isle of Skye and Iceland now.

One note: this is NOT a kid's movie, not for younger kids. A lady next to us had a perhaps 6 year old girl with her, and they left about 20 minutes in. I wasn't surprised. 10 years old at the minimum, and not all 10 year olds.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Aug , 2007 11:29 am
A song outlasts a dynasty.

It's not a kids book either. Gaiman says that that's the reason he put "a naughty word in once, in very small type" It's in all caps though :D

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Aug , 2007 12:22 pm

Only $9 million. :(

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Aug , 2007 2:25 pm
Not so deep as a well

9 mil is low, but not surprising. Bourne Ultimatum is still strong, the Simpsons movie is still coasting along, and as for Rush Hour 3--well, you know what Mencken said about not going broke.

I'm hoping it hangs in there for a bit, and I suspect international receipts will be much better. It doesn't even open in the UK till the fall, and if it has a natural market, it's there.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Aug , 2007 5:19 pm
Daydream Believer

Went to see it this weekend. I thought it was pretty good and liked the DeNiro part alot. In fact he and Michelle were the movie. Claire Danes is looking more and more like Gwenth Paltrow to me. I didn't like the glow effect that was done, sort of seemed like something I could do with a home system.

Did anyone else get the Beowolf trailer? I am not sure if I want to see the movie now that I have seen the trailer.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Aug , 2007 6:09 pm
Not so deep as a well

Not all SFX have to be high-tech to work. Look at the wagon with Gandalf and Frodo in FOTR...that trick's only about 125 years old.

Saw the Beowulf trailer, yes. The CGI looks awfully Polar Expressy to me, and that's not necessarily a good thing: it's deep in the Uncanny Valley.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Aug , 2007 6:11 pm
Aspiring to heresy

A new Beowulf movie is coming?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Aug , 2007 6:57 pm
Not so deep as a well

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Aug , 2007 8:01 pm
Daydream Believer

Axordil wrote:
Not all SFX have to be high-tech to work. Look at the wagon with Gandalf and Frodo in FOTR...that trick's only about 125 years old.

Saw the Beowulf trailer, yes. The CGI looks awfully Polar Expressy to me, and that's not necessarily a good thing: it's deep in the Uncanny Valley.
Yeah but I thought the glow was a bit to um cheesy, something I would (have done) with my POS computer and my cheap software. I don't know all in all I like the movie, but the glow looked like a difused glow setting. That's about my only :scratch: The rest of the effects were pretty fun to watch.

And BINGO on the Polar Express, I was racking my brain to figure out what it reminded me of, but that's it. I think it may have ruined the movie because I was not impressed with the trailer. And from what I have read it is supposed to be 3-D better viewed in IMAX or something like that.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Aug , 2007 8:24 pm
Not so deep as a well

I might go see it just to see SOMETHING in 3D IMAX. And because I would like to see what sort of work Gaiman has done with a "mainstream Hollywood" screenplay. But I think I would have preferred it as a live-action movie with CGI.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Aug , 2007 11:14 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I'm going to see it on Friday! :horse:

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Aug , 2007 12:04 am
Same as it ever was

I am lost on the CGI comments. Are they referring to a Beowulf trailer which I did not see, but as to Stardust itself? Yes, the "glow" thing was sort of silly, but, since so many of the scenes with Danes where that glow needed to be seen were otherwise rather dark in terms of lighting, I had no issues with it, or are you talking about Pfeiffer's "green glow" witchfire? In any case, the CGI and SFX did not distract me overall from the movie at all. :) It was far more understated than anything Jackson did with LOTR.

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Aug , 2007 8:42 am
of Vinyamar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Aug , 2007 2:27 pm
Not so deep as a well

The prince's outfits were indeed pretty cool. :D

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Aug , 2007 2:28 pm
Daydream Believer

The Watcher wrote:
I am lost on the CGI comments. Are they referring to a Beowulf trailer which I did not see, but as to Stardust itself? Yes, the "glow" thing was sort of silly, but, since so many of the scenes with Danes where that glow needed to be seen were otherwise rather dark in terms of lighting, I had no issues with it, or are you talking about Pfeiffer's "green glow" witchfire? In any case, the CGI and SFX did not distract me overall from the movie at all. :) It was far more understated than anything Jackson did with LOTR.

errr I was talking about Beowulf CGI. The CGI (except the glow) I liked. My thought about the green flame was, it's loads better than the green scrubbing bubbles. ;) :D

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 17 Aug , 2007 11:33 pm
Best friends forever

Saw this movie and really liked it. Lots of fun, and hardly any stupid moments.

Robert de Niro was good, if a bit obvious. "Watch me chewing the scenery! Watch me being cute, watch me not being a serious horse's ass!" But still, he WAS cute and it was a cute bit, the ship and all. I liked the ship.

All in all, I enjoyed it thoroughly. The SFX were about right, and I really liked the crater the falling star created!!!! Like, just like a real crater and everything. :D

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 55 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Jump to: