The Last Homely Site on the Web

Stardust

Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 55 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 »
The Watcher
Post subject: Stardust
Posted: Sun 05 Aug , 2007 4:05 pm
Same as it ever was

Why this film due to be released August 10 here in the US has been so sorely lacking in advertising is beyond me, it appears to be an excellent film based on a novella by an excellent author, Neil Gaiman, and with a stellar cast. (Michelle Pfeiffer, Claire Danes, Robert De Niro, and narration by Ian McKellen for starters.)

Anyway, to date, the reviews from several pre-screenings have been fantastic, Rottentomatoes yesterday had it at 100% fresh, although now today several reviews have been taken down for some reason (?) and other indy reviews also have been nearly all positive.

This will be on my to do list next weekend.

It also has revived my interest and love of Neil Gaiman - time to reread some of his other probably better known works, such as American Gods.

Check out the official movie website:

http://www.stardustmovie.com/

If you are a sucker for fairy tales, breathtaking scenery, adventure, and romance, this will be just your cup of tea.

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 05 Aug , 2007 5:34 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Half the battle in making a movie is having a good storyline. The plot of Stardust is so good, I can't see this movie being anything short of excellent.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Jonny
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Aug , 2007 3:55 am
pixel-pusher

It was my favorite book for several years, and I can't wait to see the movie. :)

“And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Aug , 2007 1:45 pm
Not so deep as a well

It is my understanding that the storyline in the film adaptation remains pretty much intact, although the ending is somewhat different. The ending in the book is, um, a pretty literary one, and not particularly cinematic.

As I've noted, Gaiman is happy with it, Vess is happy with it, so I'm going to assume it's pretty good until proven otherwise. :)

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Jonny
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Aug , 2007 1:49 pm
pixel-pusher

Does anyone know if Gaiman was involved in the screenplay?

Ooh and so I suppose this is as good a place as any to mention it, but I got the chance to stumble onto a village called Wall in England and I like to think that this and the setting for the beginning of Stardust were one and the same. And I mean stumble in the most literal sense :D

I was doing the Hadrian's Wall trail and saw a sign for "Wall" a few miles out of the way. I was pretty downtrodden because I had fallen on my face about 5 times that day, but when I saw that sign, Stardust came to my mind, and so I made a detour and had lunch there. Was just about what I pictured Gaiman's Wall to be like and it made my day wonderful. :D It also made me think that the wall that the village was named for in the book was probably in fact Hadrian's Wall - or so I assume. :)

Last edited by Jonny on Mon 06 Aug , 2007 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Aug , 2007 2:06 pm
Not so deep as a well

That's pretty damn :cool:

Gaiman did not officially participate in writing the screenplay, but the screenwriter, Jane Goldman, was in touch with him during the process, as I understand it.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Aug , 2007 2:15 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Johnny - was there a gap in the wall with two people guarding it?

And, more importantly - did you attempt to get through? :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jonny
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Aug , 2007 2:22 pm
pixel-pusher

:D There wasn't a wall anymore, but there *was* a field off in the distance past the 1 or 2 streets of the village. I have some pictures here.... had to dig through my photobucket account, but this was the main street, you can see the field off past the pub at the end of the street (which is where I had lunch). :D Again, slightly out of town, some nearby woods, which would be similar to the woods which I imagine Tristan would have walked through. :)
Quote:
Gaiman did not officially participate in writing the screenplay, but the screenwriter, Jane Goldman, was in touch with him during the process, as I understand it.
Excellent :) :)

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Aug , 2007 4:48 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Looks like a nice town. I vote that the next m00t should be there. :D

This picture looks like there's a bat hanging upside down on the gate.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 06 Aug , 2007 6:48 pm

I have a pretty strong pull to run off and see this one this weekend.

Ooh, Mom's not working, so...she could take me and go shopping with a friend of her's while I go see it.

I must attempt to convince her of the goodness of this plan. :cheers:

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Aug , 2007 9:40 pm
Same as it ever was

Well, it opens tomorrow, and is still at an overall 79% fresh over on Rottentomatoes.com. I miss films like The Princess Bride, Willow, and Labyrinth - the big geeky kid in me loves this type of fare, so I talked to a good friend, and we are going to try and go see it tomorrow night at the brand new spanking multiplex cinema near our homes.

I'll let you know what I think. BTW, I am not looking for deep here, just escapist fun!! :D

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Aug , 2007 10:52 pm
Daydream Believer

T_W

I read the reviews over at RT and I think the movie will be good. One review said it was more complex than Princess Bride. Anyway I did see many comparisons to TPB.

I plan on seeing it tomorrow night after work. A group of us are going, should be fun. My friend Jody used to work at Fox animation and recently moved from the area here so she knows many of the CGI people in the business. She has a real eye for these things and its a blast going with her and talking afterwards.

I really look forward to this movie.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Aug , 2007 11:19 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

I finally got my hands on the book today. It's been eluding me for over a year now. Now I can read it before I see the film. *wipes brow* Phew!

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 10 Aug , 2007 7:53 pm

Wow, based on the commercials I've seen, it looked really quite awful. I was surprised to see such big name actors in it. Now you guys are making me curious to read it and/or watch it. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 10 Aug , 2007 8:02 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Read fast, Crucifer!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 10 Aug , 2007 9:30 pm

Started this morning.

Nearly finished.

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 11 Aug , 2007 6:00 am

I'm going to check at the local library and see if they have it.

And if they do have more of Gaiman's works, I will take them all. :devil:

Almost took off to see the movie. Nearest theater is an hour away. But I stopped myself 'cause I don't have the money for a ticket.

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 11 Aug , 2007 11:08 am

OMG! This book is fantastic. :love:

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 11 Aug , 2007 2:27 pm
Not so deep as a well

Rebecca wrote:
Wow, based on the commercials I've seen, it looked really quite awful. I was surprised to see such big name actors in it. Now you guys are making me curious to read it and/or watch it. :)
The idiots responsible for the US marketing should never be allowed to work in the business again. They can't decide whether to present it as a romance or an action flick or a comedy, because they don't want to alienate the male or female youth audience, and as a result have been doing their best to attract no one.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 11 Aug , 2007 3:50 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Rebecca wrote:
I felt the same. It looked pretty cheesy to me.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 55 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Jump to: