board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Halloween!

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]
Crucifer
Post subject: Halloween!
Posted: Fri 05 Oct , 2007 11:00 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

AGH! I just saw this movie! It's kewl! I loveded it! I was terrified!
(And I moslty laugh my way through Horror flims.)

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 06 Oct , 2007 10:06 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Are we talking about the original Halloween or Rob Zombie's remake?

I loved the original Halloween with Jamie Lee Curtis but it took me awhile to really appreciate it's quality. The first time I saw it I thought it was lame but the second viewing was far more chilling.

I have yet to see Rob Zombie's remake but it does interest me :)

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 06 Oct , 2007 11:03 pm

The Remake. The original was great too, but in the new one, we get his childhood...

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 06 Oct , 2007 11:42 pm
Not so deep as a well

But not Jamie Lee. :rage:

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 07 Oct , 2007 5:08 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

The ugly ginger from Spy Kids getting a serious beat down kind of made it for me.

It was an interesting movie, though the second half has little to do with the first. Rob Zombie put a lot of thought into what Michael Myers might've been like as a child, but seemed to give up once the character becomes an adult. Like, okay time for the Laurie Strode portion of the evening: now to throw in the white mask, nookie-seeking friends, hedge-lined sidewalks, and 30-year-old tatas pretending to be 17-year-old tatas. Felt rushed and confusing. That Michael goes from a small aryan boy to a raven-haired behemoth in 15 years is ridiculous. C'mon, he doesn't need size to be intimidating. Especially since we just spent an hour with him as a child murderer.

Then he returns to his childhood home for the kitchen knife and mask. I just don't buy the kid Myers hiding those things away, other than as a dramatic device so it's all stylistically aged and creepier-looking. I like it better in the original series how he'd just walk into a store and steal his own mask. It added to the anonymity of the character. He walks amongst us, you know? He doesn't get attached to anything, human or object, just grabs whatever's available but has the occasional preference. He'll kill you with a thumbtack if need be, but if you have a kitchen knife, why that's just dandy.

Basically, Zombie went all out for Myers' childhood and then glossed over the rest, as if he had little interest in it but realized you couldn't remake Halloween without the Jamie Lee character. I couldn't have been less involved with the characters and the constant cameos were a bit distracting. Sure it's fun to see these faces, especially since a lot of talented horror actors don't get hired anywhere else, but feh, this is the Michael Myers show, quit with the meta.

Hard to not appreciate how vicious it is, though. The violence was hard-hitting (no pun intended). Made it depressing to watch (my brother and his girlfriend walked out after 20 minutes or something), but I think hopelessness is a good feeling to associate with this character. He probably didn't have much of a chance in life, and neither will you once he's around. You can't hide, you can't run, you can't find help. That, at least, made him scary for me, which is something I never felt about the Halloween films.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 08 Oct , 2007 6:12 am
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Caught the last half hour of John Carpenter's Halloween last night and thought of this thread. So creepy I love October because stations start playing all the scary movies :D

Lay down
Night is falling
Sleep now
They are calling

Why do you weep?
Soon you will see
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 08 Oct , 2007 6:37 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Me, too. In theory. Sometimes the networks just play the same old films I've seen a million times and it gets boring. I don't know why it's different then Christmas favorites, which I could watch until I'm a hundred and five, but that's how it is.

I was getting such a hankering for Halloween festival things today, though. :( Wish I lived in a big city where they actually have events that are more involving then kids carving pumpkins. Here, and probably all around the maritimes, you are shit out of luck if you are an adult who wants to celebrate Halloween. Unless you want to dress up as a hooker and go clubbing. Which is something, I guess, but not what I'm looking for.

I think I'm gonna save up for a vacation next year and visit Knotts Berry Farm and other fun spooky places in the States. Too many disappointing Halloweens, it is time for something different.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 08 Oct , 2007 7:07 pm

I hate Halloween...
I was planning on renting the Grudge and pretending I'm not home with a friend of mine, but she's going to France. :rage:
The people around here are totally st00pfid about it...

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 08 Oct , 2007 9:30 pm

*E* I fully support you coming out to Cali to go to Knott's Scary Farm :D

I love Halloween because I love fall and scary movies :) And it's my younger brothers birthday so we always had cake that day :D.

Lay down
Night is falling
Sleep now
They are calling

Why do you weep?
Soon you will see
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Oct , 2007 6:53 pm

Ah, see the autumnal aspect of it I like. The chocolate I like. The scary movies I love! (Easily terrified hot girl + Halloween/The Grudge etc. = A very pleasant evening...)

It's my neighbours I hate...

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Oct , 2007 8:49 pm

We just turn out the lights and draw up the shades if we don't want anyone knocking on the door for treats.

Helps set the ~mood~ for watching flicks anyway.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Oct , 2007 10:49 pm

My parents house is pimped out with a huge blow up black cat that you can walk through and there are lights and spider-webs and screamy things :D. My Dad loves decorating for holidays and it's my younger brothers birthday so it gives him an excuse :).

I never minded the trick or treaters but by the time I stopped trick or treating there were hardly any T or Ters left :(. I wonder if kids think they are too cool to go around the neighborhood asking for candy. I used to love Halloween night!!

Lay down
Night is falling
Sleep now
They are calling

Why do you weep?
Soon you will see
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 09 Oct , 2007 11:01 pm

I'm with you there, it still is my favorite time/night of the year, though sometimes my heart twitches a bit around Christmas. After my neighborhood grew up there's just no kids around here anymore. We usually get between 7 and 20 trick-or-treaters. :neutral:

Do not get me started on trying to organize a Halloween party for friends. I think when I get my own place, I'll just leave black & orange balloons up year round and play the mix tape of scary songs on weekends. Then at least I will get some use out of all the Halloween toys I buy. :P I seriously wouldn't ever part with them.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment”
Jump to: