The Last Homely Site on the Web

Pushing Daisies

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Axordil
Post subject: Pushing Daisies
Posted: Thu 11 Oct , 2007 2:52 pm
Not so deep as a well

So I was asked by a internet survey place I get stuff from to watch this show. Actually, they asked me if I would watch about 20, and I said no to all of them, and I was thinking the whole time, "man, I hope they don't ask me to watch Pushing Daisies, because I think I might actually do it, given the reviews I've seen."

But they did, so I did. I had to go to a friend's house to do it, of course, given the lack of any signal-gathering device for my 27" widescreen DVD player ;), but I did it.

I have no idea how long they can keep that level of writing up, but I may have to keep watching it until they fail.

That is all.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 11 Oct , 2007 4:27 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

It's a really sweet show but for the life of me I can't keep it straight with Reaper. Sometimes the Canadian networks air a program a day before the states get it and so these two criss-cross with each other. Also, PD is produced by Bryan Fuller who worked on Heroes last year, which featured Missy Peregrym, and I knew she had a new show coming out but apparently that is Reaper and not PD. But another Bryan Fuller show was Dead Like Me, which was about grim reapers, so when it came to the two new shows about death, I figured his was the Reaper one. And even though I've watched both and they've got a really different tone (and I do like them), it's too much work on my brain. Six Feet Under, Dead Like Me, Pushing Daisies, Reaper, Dexter... all these shows centered around death the last couple years starring the same cast members or being produced by the same people... I've been watching too much tv lately, ugh.

Pushing Daisies really is good, though. I love the Kristen Chenoweth character, and seeing Chi McBride again.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 11 Oct , 2007 4:45 pm
Best friends forever

What is it with dead people?

Are the writers confronting their own suddenly realized mortality?

I don't watch these shows, so I won't comment as to whether they are "good" or not. But, without wishing to be offensive, I find the concept absurd. I am cool with fantasy, but how many shows about dead people and grim reapers can anyone watch?

What's the attraction?

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 11 Oct , 2007 6:22 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

I heard they were good so I watched them.

Dead Like Me, I was a big fan of because I can relate to any character who's young and lost. The death aspect was just a nice cherry on top because they dealt with it in poignant or hilarious ways.

Six Feet Under, I don't get the fapping over. There's three good characters but I didn't get emotionally invested in it at all. Lots of shows start off slow, so we'll see how I feel about it after season 2 but the first one really didn't grab me.

Death is a ripe subject for fantasy since no one knows what happens afterwards. Why not try tackling it from different angles? I forgot to mention shows like Ghost Whisperer and Medium before, but they would count, too. There's a film coming out soon called Wristcutters: A Love Story about a special afterlife reserved for people who committed suicide. One of the top films in 2005 was the Corpse Bride. Hell, I grew up watching Beetlejuice, Casper and Ghostbusters. I mean... death. Everyone does it. Why wouldn't they write about it?
vison wrote:
how many shows about dead people and grim reapers can anyone watch?
All the sitcoms about wacky nuclear families seem to have made do. May as well run other formulas into the ground.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Oct , 2007 3:44 am
Takoyaki is love

I have started watching Pushing Daisies primarily because the lead actor and some of the people were involved with this wonderful little chow called Wonderfalls. It only had like 14 episodes but it was fabulous, it's about a girl that can hear anything that is shaped like an animal talk. They tell her things to do and the results can be quite interesting. Lee Pace the lead of Pushing daisies played the girls brother. He was funny.

I kind of like the storybook aspect of the shows production. It's quite sweet.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Oct , 2007 3:56 am

Bryan Fuller produced that.

I'll add it to my Zip.ca list. Apparently the DVD was released with 9 un-aired episodes.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Oct , 2007 9:50 am
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Wonderfalls was AMAZING and it only got a three episode chance if you can even call that a chance!

I was hooked on Pushing Daisies when I saw the commercial before a movie and it hasn't disappointed. I love the narration and the cinematography is stunning! I just hope it's not to quirky and people stop watching it like they did Wonderfalls. The characters are amiable and funny I am a fan for sure :).

Every time I watch I think of Mossy since Kristin Chenoweth (sp) plays Olive :D. She'll always be Glinda to me *sigh*.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Oct , 2007 1:34 pm
Not so deep as a well

You know, it occurs to me that Pushing Daisies is about as close to Neil Gaiman as US TV is likely to get. Which may be part of its appeal for me--the Gothic sensibility is a good way for me to indulge my need for paranoia and magical thinking without actually letting it interfere with my life.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 12 Oct , 2007 4:33 pm

TheMary wrote:
Every time I watch I think of Mossy since Kristin Chenoweth (sp) plays Olive :D.
Me, too. And Chenoweth was in an episode of Ugly Betty the other week as well. Actually, on that show last night, Freddy Rodriguez made a cameo and he was one of the main characters in Six Feet Under. I swear I'll stop talking about cross-overs but my head is seriously going to explode, why must their be so many character actors out there? :P I am seeing doubles and triples everywhere.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 13 Oct , 2007 12:02 am
Cuddly Studmuffin

Kinda a goofy/odd/ show, and interesting so far. Made me think of Dead Like Me too, which I also liked.

I do kinda hope they dont have Kristin Chenoweth do a lot of singing, tho I wasnt suprised that they did have her doing a song since I know that she does lots of Broadway shows.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 19 Oct , 2007 2:22 pm
Not so deep as a well

I like the occasional number--after all, the show is surreal, and what is more surreal than people bursting into song for no reason? :D

But I also don't want it to turn into a musical. OTOH, I understand there's a They Might Be Giants number in the next episode...and talk about perfect fits.

Did you catch the little firefly thing? I think that was a Dead Like Me homage.

Great quotes last week and this:

"Knowing isn't so great. You lift up a rock, you're not going to find whipped cream, you're going to find worms."

"That isn't the truth bus, that's the bitchy crosstown express."

"Musing on the idea of setting someone on fire doesn't mean you really want to set them on fire."

“That's kinda how I feel slash exactly how I feel.”

“This is a pie house, not some herbal crack den.”

“What part of do not resuscitate don’t you people understand?"

“Olive considered how much she loved Digby, and Digby considered how much he liked salt.”

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 19 Oct , 2007 2:41 pm

Axordil wrote:
I think that was a Dead Like Me homage.
How so? :oops:
Quote:
Great quotes last week and this:

“Olive considered how much she loved Digby, and Digby considered how much he liked salt.”
ITA. :D When we got our current dog, it had been a decade since the last pet and so I was entirely too enthralled with her kissing my face to realize it wasn't a sign of affection. But I still like it cuz she's so cute anyway lol.

What happened after the commercial break when they couldn't get the coffin open and Emerson bolted outta there? I didn't change the channel back in time! That had me rolling on the floor, though. I love Chi McBride. :D

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 19 Oct , 2007 3:27 pm
Not so deep as a well

They popped it open with the urn :D just in time. The dead guy said something to the effect of "That was mean!" before the Piemaker put him back on ice.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 19 Oct , 2007 7:39 pm
Daydream Believer

I am beginning to really like this show. I loved watching Emerson run out of the area, plus the urn opening the coffin. I loved that there was an urn, Chuch (the live dead girl) and a live dead guy in the coffin.

I still have to remind myself Swoozie Kurtz is the aunt.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 19 Oct , 2007 9:52 pm
Cuddly Studmuffin

Quote:
Did you catch the little firefly thing? I think that was a Dead Like Me homage.
I was reading yesterday that the whole concept of the show developed out of an unused episode idea for "Dead Like Me"

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 20 Oct , 2007 3:24 am
Not so deep as a well

And then it mutated. :D

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 20 Oct , 2007 11:48 am
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

I love love love love love love love this show more and more each time I watch!

Quote:
"That isn't the truth bus, that's the bitchy crosstown express."
This one had me in stitches :LMAO:

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 30 Nov , 2007 10:00 pm
Daydream Believer

Well this show is still grabing my attention, in fact it is one of the one shows I actually plan around. Chenoweth is still a goddess.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 30 Nov , 2007 11:52 pm

I adore this show. The writing is sharp, the characters memorable and the plots whimsical, funny and a bit dark as well. I hope they can keep it up.

Word shaper / Soul tender / Melody maker

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 01 Dec , 2007 12:11 am
Not so deep as a well

I think the thing I like most about it is that it's not afraid to be whimsical, even momentarily cutesy, because of the somewhat morbid context it's operating in. Yin and yang. Chuck and Emerson. :D

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: