board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Research for a movie

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Lidless
Post subject: Research for a movie
Posted: Thu 18 Oct , 2007 1:06 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

From the Times newspaper:

The typical Hollywood leading man travels with an entourage between his palatial homes, five-star hotel suites and luxury trailers. He does not disappear alone for two weeks to meet the Russian mafia in the name of research.

But Viggo Mortensen, best known for his portrayal of Aragorn in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, claims to have done just that for his role in Eastern Promises, the film which opens The Times BFI 51st London Film Festival in Leicester Square tonight. It is the actor’s second collaboration with the director, David Cronenberg, following their critically acclaimed 2005 film, A History of Violence. Mortensen plays a mobster working for a Russian gang in London, and to hone his portrayal he travelled to Moscow, St Petersburg and the mountain villages of the Urals.

He refused to take an interpreter, relying on gestures and his own facility for languages - he speaks Danish and Spanish fluently and can get by in four other languages. "I know everyone was a little bit worried because I disappeared for two weeks," he said. "They said I should have someone go with me into the underworld, but the whole point was not to get a filtered version of what Russians do and what they’re like. I just wanted to draw my own conclusions. I met a lot of people and talked to them. I met people who had experiences in prisons and understood more about street slang. They helped me tweak some of the dialogue. Then I found someone who had a car and he took me into the countryside and to these villages. There I saw how these mobsters looked at each other and how they lived.

"I also drank a lot of vodka."

It was not until the last day of his trip that his cover was blown. "A little boy started staring at me, then he pointed and whispered, 'Aragorn?'"

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 18 Oct , 2007 1:23 pm
Takoyaki is love

LOL. That is funny.

It's very good movie. I saw it a couple of weeks a go with a friend. Didn't know he went that far for research, wow.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 18 Oct , 2007 1:49 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Did he use the name Thorongil?

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 18 Oct , 2007 2:48 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

From the Gondor Bugle:

The typical king-in-waiting travels with an entourage between his palatial homes, five-star hotel suites and luxury trailers. He does not disappear alone for sixty-odd years to meet the local armies in the name of research.

But Aragorn, best known for his portrayal of a love-struck dork in Rivendell with a broken sword, claims to have done just that for his role as King. It is the Numenorean’s second collaboration with Mithrandir, following their critically acclaimed SA 2005 nature book, A History of Violets. Aragorn played a monster working for a Rohan gang in Lond Daer, and to hone his portrayal he travelled to the Iron Hills, Rohan and the villages of the Misty Mountains.

He refused to take an interpreter, relying on gestures and his own facility for languages - he speaks Elvish and Numenorean fluently and can get by in four other languages. "I know everyone was a little bit worried because I disappeared for sixty years," he said. "They said I should have someone go with me into the undergrowth, but the whole point was not to get a filtered version of what people in Middle Earth do and what they’re like. I just wanted to draw my own conclusions. I met a lot of people and talked to them. I met people who had experiences in prisons and understood more about street slang. They helped me tweak some of the dialogue. Then I found someone who had a cart and he took me into the countryside and to these villages. There I saw how these monsters looked at each other and how they lived.

"I also drank a lot of vodka."

It was not until the last day of his trip that his cover was blown. "A little hobbit started staring at me, then he pointed and whispered, 'Aragorn?'"

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 18 Oct , 2007 3:33 pm
Daydream Believer

whoo hooo vodka in middle earth

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 18 Oct , 2007 4:01 pm
Not so deep as a well

Miruvor by any other name. :D

I think it is possible to take method acting a little bit too far...

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 18 Oct , 2007 4:48 pm
Best friends forever

I just read a recipe for piecrust made with vodka as well as water.

Hm.

I wonder if Viggo contributed it to the magazine?

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 27 Oct , 2007 2:42 am
Trudging the road of happy destiny...

Viggo's cool.

Steve's funny.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 27 Oct , 2007 4:25 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Axordil wrote:
I think it is possible to take method acting a little bit too far...
This story has been misinterpreted over the years but I'm just going to use the point behind it as an example.

For MARATHON MAN, Dustin Hoffman (being a "method actor") stayed up all night to play a character who has stayed up all night. Arriving on the set, Laurence Olivier asked him why he looked the way he did. Hoffman told him, to which Olivier replied in jest, "Why not try acting? It's much easier."

I've heard all sorts of stories about actors trying to get into their characters, from learning how to smoke to getting a tooth removed without anesthesia. In the end, I figure if it helps them learn something about the world or get more comfortable in the role, then more power to 'em. The intensity with which modern actors tackle their characters these days makes some older films feel rather empty. I mean, everybody's faking it, but those guys are faking it and clueless. I kind of like it when the actor has the slightest idea of what they're emoting.

But again, it's whatever makes them confident. I don't have to do the crazy things, I'm just watching someone else.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Nov , 2007 7:57 pm
Wembley bound

Well put *EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Nov , 2007 8:05 pm
Not so deep as a well

I think people are just more emo now. :P

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Nov , 2007 8:26 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

It's still probably less melodramatic than the era before Brando and Dean came along. :P

My favorite method acting trivia: Nick Frost from Shaun of the Dead apparently kept his genitals shaved throughout the production to create a genuine need to scratch that the character demanded.

:D:D:D:D:D

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Nov , 2007 8:36 pm
Wembley bound

Speaking of which, have you seen Hot Fuzz yet?

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Nov , 2007 9:07 pm

Nupe! If it's not on movie network, I'll try to find a high-quality version on one of the nasty pirate sites I took to lurking in.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 10 Nov , 2007 4:36 am
Wembley bound

No comment on my clever pun?

;)

Don't think its on a movie network yet. I'm sure you'd enjoy it though. Ordinary people turning into killers seems right up your alley. :D

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 10 Nov , 2007 4:50 am

... Okay, when the obvious connection is that both films have the same batch of actors, do not ask me to look into it any further. :P But yes, I get it now and am only giving you partial credit since "hott fuzz" is the damn title and not a spiffy joke.

Now I feel itchy.

I'll keep a lookout for it showing up on TMN, which won't be until at least January because they put their schedule online and it covers two months at a time.

Other than that, I did get around to watching the first disc of 24's first season. I hope the other episodes/seasons get better. :scared:

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 10 Nov , 2007 6:22 am
Wembley bound

Never saw the 1st season. It was the 4th that hooked me.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 10 Nov , 2007 7:04 am

Oh gawd.

I'll just read recaps to fill myself in and then skip ahead to that, then.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 11 Nov , 2007 9:53 pm
Wembley bound

You don't even need recaps. :P Its not a soap opera.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Nov , 2007 12:06 am

I doubt they never reference previous seasons, but okay.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: