The Last Homely Site on the Web

*SCREAMS* Beyonce will be singing POTO song at Oscars

Post Reply   Page 3 of 4  [ 68 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Nov , 2007 10:45 am
of Vinyamar

Michael Thierrault reprised his role as Gollum in London, as did Hoye and Lowe as Frodo and Sam. I'm not sure about Merry and Pippin, but apart from them the rest of the cast was new. To answer Crucifer directly, Jerome Pradon is a fine actor. I can't speak for the lady who played Arwen, but Pradon is certainly top notch. People have a tendency to assume "performance I didn't like" is equivalent to "Bad actor/actress". Thats simply not the case. And the only bad singers in the West End are "names" who were hired for their box-office clout. Pradon is not one of those. Anyone who can sing Judas is a good singer. QED.

Lurker, have a look at my review of the London production. I'd be interested to hear your opinion. Of course, it would only be based on the first act, since you walked out before seeing the rest, something that simply boggles the mind. The only person who loses in that scenario is you. The theatre has your money, and there's always the chance something in the final act would have moved you immeasurably. By walking out, you deny yourself an opportunity you already paid for. Of course, the last hour might be even worse, but in that case what have you lost? An hours sleep? No trade.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Nov , 2007 11:40 am
A song outlasts a dynasty.

The performance was, IMHO, stiff and unnatural from Arwen and Aragorn. It may have been an understudy, I don't know, but I really did not enjoy the performance from the person playing Aragorn in any way whatsoever, regardless of what his name is.

Everyone has their bad days...

And there's no such thing as a perfect performance...

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Nov , 2007 9:28 pm
of Vinyamar

Now that I would agree with, but I think it was a problem with the writing, not the actor. There was an attempt to shoehorn in a romantic interest where there was no time to develop it. Thats always going to feel clumsy.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Nov , 2007 10:16 pm

True. At least Beyonce wasn't playing anyone...

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Nov , 2007 12:00 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

I'm sure her wardrobe might've appealed to a broader audience, though!

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Nov , 2007 12:09 am
Best friends forever

*jumps in where angels might fear to tread*

I thought Les Miserables was awful and the Phantom of the Opera was worse and, moreover, Cats made me wanna puke.

I hate these big shows that parachute into town, suck up all the money and vanish, leaving regional theatre and real, actual local actors, directors, and singers and dancers . . . outa work.

*jumps out real quick*

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Nov , 2007 3:25 am
His Rosyness

Quote:
I hate these big shows that parachute into town, suck up all the money and vanish, leaving regional theatre and real, actual local actors, directors, and singers and dancers . . . outa work.
What a stupid POV.

If Broadway was the only place the big shows could be seen, tens of thousands would never get the chance to see shows they love but can't afford to travel to.

Sadly, there will always be snobs who think anything popular and profitable cannot be considered worthwhile art. If a company has a product that it can take on tour, that is a perfectly legitimate thing to do.

Does this mean that famous bands should be told they can only perform in their home town.. after all, other towns need to focus on their poor, struggling local bands.. but wait, the famous band was probably once a poor, struggling local band too.. but one day they got a break. Well that's the way things go.

And the vast majority of the actors that perform in big shows get there due to talent, hard work and simply being better than those they leave behind in their home towns.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lurker
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Nov , 2007 4:22 am

Alatar wrote:
Lurker, have a look at my review of the London production. I'd be interested to hear your opinion. Of course, it would only be based on the first act, since you walked out before seeing the rest, something that simply boggles the mind. The only person who loses in that scenario is you. The theatre has your money, and there's always the chance something in the final act would have moved you immeasurably. By walking out, you deny yourself an opportunity you already paid for. Of course, the last hour might be even worse, but in that case what have you lost? An hours sleep? No trade.
Yes, I did read your review with regards to the London production but I'll read it again to give you my opinion of the first act. :)

Yes, I could have watched the rest of it and wait for the "moving scene to happen" but my philosophy in life is why waste my time with something that is not worth watching. I can't understand people who watch a really bad movie and wait for something "good" to happen and thinking that they are denying themselves the opportunity they already paid for. Move on pal, thinking that you want your money's worth is not worth it all. Yes, I did pay good money for it, but I didn't lose another 1 1/2 hour of my life sitting in the theatre doing nothing. Instead, we were able to get good seats at a wonderful restuarant in the theatre district area having a good conversation before the rest of the crowd arrives. Now, that is priceless.

Did I lose in this situation? No, the losers are those people who shook their heads the following day and said that why the heck did they buy very expensive tickets to a dragging 2 1/2 hour play when they could have done something else like sleep. :) Yes, I would rather sleep cause it is privilage for most of us these days. :D

My time is more precious than money. The money I lost at the theatre I will be able earn again, but time I can't turn back.

Caution...You are entering the NO SPIN ZONE.

Profile Quote
Lurker
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Nov , 2007 4:36 am

vison wrote:
*jumps in where angels might fear to tread*

I thought Les Miserables was awful and the Phantom of the Opera was worse and, moreover, Cats made me wanna puke.

*jumps out real quick*
POTO was worse, I agree. Cats made me puke, too. :D

Vison you should live in Toronto for say a year and I tell you even with Mirvish productions in town, the regional theatre is still alive in well in my neck of the woods when we lived there. We often watch plays like Cabaret, Jesus Christ Superstar, Dial M for Murder, Hamlet, Bat Boy etc... at the neighborhood theatre and I tell you it was making money! We had to buy tickets in advance because it was always sold out months before. We love it because the venue was so small so it's not crowded.

Alas, we live in Calgary right now and the only fun we have is going to the Calgary Stampede and watching the Chuck Wagon Races. Or the country singer/s who drops by at the area often. :D It's CMT country down here! :help: (I look forward for the Eukanuba Wonder Dogs show all the time. I love those dogs! Pork Chop!!!)

Caution...You are entering the NO SPIN ZONE.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Nov , 2007 5:04 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Lurker wrote:
No, the losers are those people who shook their heads the following day and said that why the heck did they buy very expensive tickets to a dragging 2 1/2 hour play
Because no one's a fortune teller and you have to see a production before knowing what it's like.

I don't really understand how theatre works, so I didn't catch vison's drift, but Iavas, it wasn't necessary to call hers a stupid opinion. In a thread of amusing hypocrisy, "duh"s, and horror at seeing an african american sing a white person's music, I just don't think it needs to go there, too.

Broadway, however, is very welcome to go wherever it likes, IMO. Especially to the maritimes. :Wooper:

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Nov , 2007 5:57 am
Best friends forever

Iavas wrote:
What a stupid POV.
Gee, thanks, Iavas. :cheers:

I am not at present in a position of power so cannot ban these shows. Be sure I will, though!!! The suffering tens of thousands will NOT see these shows, not if I can help it. They will have to see Little Theatre versions of them on a 12 foot stage lit by candles!!!

For the luvva pete, man, lighten up.

It's all a matter of taste, I guess. I sincerely did not like Cats, POTO, or Les Mis. I thought they were over-hyped. Likewise Miss Saigon. However, I did not see them in New York or London but in Vancouver, and so I may not have seen the best talent perform in them. However, there are thousands of Vancouverites who would stare in shocked horror to hear me say I didn't like them. They were from Broadway!!! They must have been good!!! I've seen Broadway shows on Broadway, too. Some were great, some were awful.

On the other hand, I loved Mamma Mia, even though there was not one "name" performer in it. I saw Yul Brynner in The King and I, saw Richard Harris in Camelot, saw Mickey Rooney and Anne Miller in Sugar Babies, and those were fabulous shows. (In Vancouver, at that.) Once upon a time we had subscription seats to the ballet and my husband and I enjoyed several decades of the world's finest dance. Nureyev in his prime, Baryshnikov, and dozens of others, including Canada's own immortals, Karen Kain and Evelyn Hart.

But to be honest, most of the best theatre evenings we've enjoyed have been regional, local productions. Yet, many people will NOT go to local theatre, thinking it inferior to the traveling shows. Well, sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't. You don't know if you don't go.

Everyone starts somewhere. The young guy starting out at Vancouver East Cultural Centre might be a headliner on Broadway one day.

Of course, there is a kind of snobbery at work when it comes to The Arts: if it comes from away, it has to be better than home-grown. The consistently most enjoyable ballet company I know of is a money-poor dancer-rich company from right here in BC. I've seen pretty well every major ballet company in the world, and Ballet BC is as good as most and better than a lot of them. But when the Kirov or Royal Covent Garden troupe comes to town, suddenly there is not a seat to be had. I want to stand up in the theatre and shout, "You guys don't know what you're missing!!! Next week Ballet BC is doing 'In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated' and it would blow your sox off, but you think this bunch hasta be better cuz they're from Russia or London!"

I like to be engaged and entertained, and I find that many of the big traveling shows are doing it by rote, they often seem tired. There is a magic in live theatre that energizes you, when it's done well.

Our next night at The Theatah will be the Christmas pantomime, and I can hardly wait.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Nov , 2007 6:13 am

vison wrote:
Yet, many people will NOT go to local theatre, thinking it inferior to the traveling shows.
That's too bad. All I can really say is: I find it as obnoxious when someone doesn't give the big names a chance as when the little guys are disregarded. It's like everybody wants to make themselves feel special by doing something different... but when they're all trying to be different, they pretty much end up the same. Music, film, book, or theatre snobs, it makes no difference. Sure you can't force a person to enjoy something outside of their comfort zone, but certain attitudes are still frustrating. I try out as many things as I can, but then, that is my comfort zone.

Iavas, I found a copy of Emmy's CD so I'll try to play it this week and contribute more to that part of the conversation.

EDIT:
vison wrote:
I am not at present in a position of power so cannot ban these shows. Be sure I will, though!!! The suffering tens of thousands will NOT see these shows, not if I can help it. They will have to see Little Theatre versions of them on a 12 foot stage lit by candles!!!
Pssht. I loved the way I saw Phantom (which unfortunately comprises 50% of all theatre experience for me) and wouldn't change a thing. Bigger can be better. :D With movies, at least, the cheapie productions definitely suck. haha

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Nov , 2007 3:25 pm
His Rosyness

I have been to many, many local amateur productions. Moreso than touring shows.

I love both. And not wanting me to have the chance to see both IS a stupid thing to tell me.

(But respect where respect is due.. Richard Harris and Yul Brynner :Q)

Quote:
Iavas, I found a copy of Emmy's CD so I'll try to play it this week and contribute more to that part of the conversation.
Cool. Give it 2 or 3 listens to sink in, it really grows on you. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Nov , 2007 6:52 pm

Oh, I never delete anything sooner than that many listens unless it's rap or death metal. :D

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Nov , 2007 7:15 pm
Best friends forever

Iavas wrote:
And not wanting me to have the chance to see both IS a stupid thing to tell me.
For the luvva pete, Iavas. DID I? Or, you know, if you read what I wrote, I said, "I hate these big shows that parachute into town, suck up all the money and vanish, leaving regional theatre and real, actual local actors, directors, and singers and dancers . . . outa work. "

Now, no matter how I read that, whether standing on my head or in the dark with a flashlight or outdoors or in Sanskrit or by any other method known to woman or god, I do not see where I didn't want you to see both. Did I say, "Iavas, don't see both!!!!!! For the luvva god, Iavas, don't go to those big traveling shows!!!!!!"

What? Do you think I have the power to prevent it?

It's one thing to disagree with me, but for chrissake, Iavas, disagree with what I said and don't put words in my mouth.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Nov , 2007 7:37 pm
His Rosyness

Quote:
Oh, I never delete anything sooner than that many listens unless it's rap or death metal.
I guess I'm not up to speed with how you listen to your music :P How would death metal even be in a place where you'd need to delete it?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Nov , 2007 7:40 pm

I listen to music on itunes and delete what I don't like. First from the itunes library and then the actual music file from my computer.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Nov , 2007 7:40 pm
His Rosyness

Quote:
It's one thing to disagree with me, but for chrissake, Iavas, disagree with what I said and don't put words in my mouth.
Come now, your whole point was that touring productions are a bad thing. Therefore it seems natural to assume you would approve if they did not exist, and in doing so would be quite happy for me not to get to see them.

If that chain of thought is wrong, then I will apologise.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Nov , 2007 8:05 pm

I have seen Les Mis played by three different groups, and played in two of those myself.

The first was when my school did it 5 years ago, and I played Horn 2. It was very moving. There was real passion from the actors, for the most part, and it was very well done, if a little thrown together at the last minute looking at times.

Then I saw it in the west end. I liked it, but didn't love it. The passion wasn't there on the same scale, and Eponine was embarrassing... The set, costume etc. were incredible, but there was simply not enough feeling behind it.That, I imagine, is what comes of doing the same thing day after day for however many years...

The last time I played in it was when the cork arts theatre did it this year. I was playing Horn 1 (and somehow surviving. That part is tough!) It was phenomenal. A cast ranging from 11 year old Gavroche to 19 year old Val Jean, and every last one of them (except one Marius) was incredible. It was the most enjoyable experience in my relatively short life to date, without a doubt. (And I gained a good friend to boot.)

My point is that the musical itself can often be without flaw. It is the performers who are often at fault. The fault is usually simply that they don't believe in what they're singing. As I say to choirs whenever I have to stand in front of them and ave my arms a bit, "I don't care what you believe, but when you sing, you believe in this."

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Nov , 2007 10:03 pm
Best friends forever

Iavas_Saar wrote:
Quote:
Come now, your whole point was that touring productions are a bad thing. Therefore it seems natural to assume you would approve if they did not exist, and in doing so would be quite happy for me not to get to see them.

If that chain of thought is wrong, then I will apologise.
No, my point was NOT that touring productions are a bad thing. They're often great and I saw shows I'd never have seen otherwise. But what I hate is that so many people think that's all there is to live theatre. And, because it costs $150 a ticket to see one of these shows, that means for a lot of people can't afford to spend any more, that's their whole "entertainment" budget and so they miss the great local stuff. There is this conception that local theatre is amateur stuff, and not up to much.

Sure, local theatre doesn't usually have the money for big sets and lavish production numbers, but the whole point of live theatre is that it's LIVE and the actors can create a world with a chair and a spotlight.

And, as I said earlier, some of these big shows are shows I didn't like. That is a matter of taste.

No apology needed, you know. But accepted, anyway.

See? I'd love to see Alatar in a show!

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 4  [ 68 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: