The Last Homely Site on the Web

*SCREAMS* Beyonce will be singing POTO song at Oscars

Post Reply   Page 4 of 4  [ 68 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Nov , 2007 10:11 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

I agree totally with Vison. The great thing about Cork is that people almost always support local arts groups before anything else. (We didn't get European Capital of Culture 2005 for no reason you know. Although it wasn't the best year locally artswise) The great thing about the "locals" doing shows etc. is that while they may not be the cream of the crop, you'll gat to talk to them afterwards, and see them again whenever they're doing something. People coming in and doing stuff is all well and good, but that should not be the be all and end all of the arts.

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Lurker
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Nov , 2007 10:32 pm

*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* wrote:
Lurker wrote:
No, the losers are those people who shook their heads the following day and said that why the heck did they buy very expensive tickets to a dragging 2 1/2 hour play
Because no one's a fortune teller and you have to see a production before knowing what it's like.

*E*
Yes, you don't have to be a fortune teller but why watch a show that sucks in the first act just to wait for the "grand performance". I don't get it. It's like watching your stock prices going down, down, down and waiting for it to pick up (good luck on that.). I don't understand why people do that. You already lost money in this case paying for the theatre tickets why endure another 1 1/2 hour for it just to see a 10 minute "good performance". It's not worth my time. My point is you only lost your money, but you didn't waste your time.

Maybe my attention span is short. :blackeye: If I watch a TV show and it doesn't get my attention in 15 mins. I change the channel, maybe there is a better show out there.

Caution...You are entering the NO SPIN ZONE.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Nov , 2007 10:50 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

I have walked out of a theatre once. I walked out about ten minutes into the first half and came back in for the second half actually. There was a concert of Mahlers 9th symphony and the first half was some bloody woman trying to explain it and make it interesting and treating the disappointingly small audience like 6 year olds, when it was obvious that the average age was at least over 40... I wasn;t the only one... The second half, the actual performance was incredible though, so I got more than my moneys worth on that one...

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Nov , 2007 10:51 pm
His Rosyness

Quote:
No, my point was NOT that touring productions are a bad thing.
Maybe then your "I hate these big shows that parachute into town... yadda yadda" wasn't particularly well worded, as you now seem to be saying it's not the tours themselves you hate, but the locals who don't carry on supporting their local arts.

Well in that case we agree. Tours are good. But people who only see tours are doing a disservice to their local arts.

But I don't think people's budgets are a big factor. If you have enthusiasm for local arts, cost isn't going to cause a problem, when you can often buy tickets for the price of a meal.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Nov , 2007 12:42 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Lurker wrote:
why watch a show that sucks in the first act just to wait for the "grand performance".
What's the point in watching anything if you're only going to give it a few minutes? We sit down for these things knowing they are X hours long, so ya may as well stick with it. I'm there to experience the story someone is trying to tell, however inept they may be at telling it. If I don't hang around for the punchline, then it is a true waste of my time. Yes, I'm forgiving, patient, and look for any redeeming factors possible, but that's just how it goes. You don't give up on a kid for writing on the wall with magic markers - he hasn't had a chance to develop yet. Even if he does grow into a snot-nosed little bastard, oh well, not everything can turn up Millhouse.
Quote:
My point is you only lost your money, but you didn't waste your time.
It doesn't have to be a choice between time and money. I watch the entirety of films I don't even pay for. Once they're over, I can say I've watched and loved/loathed them, and that works for me. I mean, just going to the movies is a treat for me. The two times I've seen a musical have been absolute highlights of my life. I'm already happy just to be buying that ticket, or pressing "play" on Windows Media Player. It has to be pretty shit awful to ruin my day. I like to just see whatever someone else has put together and be able to talk about it, having an educated opinion and all.

We're on the same wave length when it comes to tv shows, however. They require a much longer commitment, so if it doesn't impress me within an episode or two, I won't force myself through it. Can't watch them all! But I like to finish what's been started. It's like the joke about the marooned blonde who swims halfway to the mainland, gets tired, so turns around and goes back to the island. C'mon, you're almost there, may as well keep going.

So there's one POV.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Lurker
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Nov , 2007 4:30 am

*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* wrote:
Lurker wrote:
why watch a show that sucks in the first act just to wait for the "grand performance".
What's the point in watching anything if you're only going to give it a few minutes? We sit down for these things knowing they are X hours long, so ya may as well stick with it. I'm there to experience the story someone is trying to tell, however inept they may be at telling it. If I don't hang around for the punchline, then it is a true waste of my time. Yes, I'm forgiving, patient, and look for any redeeming factors possible, but that's just how it goes. You don't give up on a kid for writing on the wall with magic markers - he hasn't had a chance to develop yet. Even if he does grow into a snot-nosed little bastard, oh well, not everything can turn up Millhouse.
I'm there to be entertained not for the experience. That's the difference, if a show doesn't entertain me why bother. Yes, I wouldn't give up on a kid for writing on the wall with magic markers, but I would give him my card tell him come back next year when he has developed it. IMHO, you may have the best product in the world, if you can't "present" the product and will make people crave for more the first 10 minutes you started your presentation you won't get any investors/clients. IMHO, that's what happened with LOTR in Toronto, the costume, the lights, the props/special effects outstaged the story. The package should all come together instead it was way too much information esp. for people who hasn't read the book and too dragging for people who did. I used to be creative director for an ad agency (while in grad school) and this is just my opinion, the plot is very simple, you don't need all that info. You don't need all those props and special effects, the story/songs can carry it for the show. I find that whoever choreographed (sp?) the show doesn't know how to position the actors well. I mean you have too many actors on the stage already, now place them strategically wherein the audience can zero in on the characters without getting distracted. The stage is like a canvass, you don't splash all the colours you want, it should blend in together and I find it didn't.

I can critic on the art/production side but I'm not good at criticing the acting and the singing. I saw the clips of the show and I find that Galadriel's costume has overpowered the actress. The actress already has a beautiful voice and a pretty face, an elegant "elfish" type dress would have been enough. Man, when I saw the clip all I see is the awful costume. Yes, it should be seen from the bleachers, but lighting can do a good job on that.
Quote:
My point is you only lost your money, but you didn't waste your time.
Quote:
It doesn't have to be a choice between time and money. I watch the entirety of films I don't even pay for. Once they're over, I can say I've watched and loved/loathed them, and that works for me. I mean, just going to the movies is a treat for me. The two times I've seen a musical have been absolute highlights of my life. I'm already happy just to be buying that ticket, or pressing "play" on Windows Media Player. It has to be pretty shit awful to ruin my day. I like to just see whatever someone else has put together and be able to talk about it, having an educated opinion and all.

We're on the same wave length when it comes to tv shows, however. They require a much longer commitment, so if it doesn't impress me within an episode or two, I won't force myself through it. Can't watch them all! But I like to finish what's been started. It's like the joke about the marooned blonde who swims halfway to the mainland, gets tired, so turns around and goes back to the island. C'mon, you're almost there, may as well keep going.

So there's one POV.

*E*
I'm very committed person, if I want something I go for it but I am not one of those people who would sit around and force myself on something I don't want just because I paid good money for it. I'll be more upset if I end watching a sucky movie. I'm not one of those people who will line up at Canada's Wonderland to ride the tallest roller coaster for two hours because I just want to brag I rode it. That's stupid. I could have rode four other regular coasters by then and got my money's worth.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a quiter, I just quit while I'm ahead of the game. That means I not going to sit through 2 1/2 hours and talk to my friends how bad the show was. I would rather tell my friends, "See, I knew it was bad! I can't believe you guys actually sat through the whole thing."

I volunteered for the Toronto International Film Festival every year expect the past two years since we moved to Calgary and I tell you the critics leave the movie if doesn't amuse them in the first 30 mins. I usually volunteer for the industry/media type movies only as an usher and if the movie is that bad, they leave in the first 15-30 mins. These are independent films not hollywood type and it's supposed to be good.

Caution...You are entering the NO SPIN ZONE.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 08 Dec , 2007 6:19 am
His Rosyness

Ironically, after the past discussion in this thread, I was able to see an amateur production of one of the big shows tonight - Phantom done by a High School. From what I can gather, it is the first amateur production EVER done of the show. I feel very lucky to have been a part of Phantom history.

It was a pilot for an amateur version of the show and this was the first of 6 schools in the US to try it out. The last 3 shows were all sold out but I was able to get a no show ticket. A bargain for $15.00.

I love seeing young performers coming together and doing their best. Yes it lacked a lot of the finesse and timing of the professional version, but it was still very exciting seeing how 150 high school kids would pull it off. Given the limited sets they did great. The chandelier could have been better.. when it dropped, it came to a halt only a third of the way down.

The performers did really well for their age, Christine had a beautiful voice. Phantom was well sung, but I don't think he was experienced enough to focus on singing and showing emotions at the same time. In the professional show you get real tears - but if I were that age I think I'd be mainly focussed on singing it right too. My favorite moments were when he did try to show emotion, it was endearing.

Oh but there was one horrible part - the music box had this whirring motor sound inside it making the monkey move. Totally ruined the music box melody each time it played.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 08 Dec , 2007 9:47 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Iavas_Saar wrote:
Oh but there was one horrible part - the music box had this whirring motor sound inside it making the monkey move. Totally ruined the music box melody each time it played.
lmao, that's so cute. Oh, the reality of finding reasonable facsimiles. :D

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 4  [ 68 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4
Jump to: