board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

*SCREAMS* Beyonce will be singing POTO song at Oscars

Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 68 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
GandalfStormcrow
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 8:39 am

Slightly related, but I don't see a dedicated POTO thread here.

Was that Gerard Butler singing Erik in the movie? I actually left the theater to have a cigarette after "Music of the Night." I cried, I was so furious. The most important role (to me) in one of the movies I've looked forward to more than any other, and I swear to heaven I could have sang the Phantom better than that.

My wife and brother actually consoled me for over an hour afterward.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 8:46 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

GandalfStormcrow wrote:
Slightly related, but I don't see a dedicated POTO thread here.
I've been too afraid of hearing further ridicule, :P even though I know there are other phans around.

That was Gerry singing, yes. The only person who didn't do their own singing in the film was Minnie Driver as Carlotta, though she did sing "Learn To Be Lonely", which played during the credits. :)

Sorry you had such a negative reaction to his voice! I was underwhelmed at first, and then began to understand what he was trying to do with the character, and put my faith in his hands that it would work on screen. It did. And far exceeded anything I was hoping for from him.

Oddly enough, the more I love Gerry's voice, the more Emmy Rossum's grates on my nerves! lol

EDIT: Just read this over on the IMDB. Perhaps it explains why Minnie didn't sing at the Oscars.
Quote:
Bernal Skipped Oscars in Banderas Performance Protest

Mexican actor Gael Garcia Bernal refused to attend Sunday's 77th Academy Awards - because Antonio Banderas replaced singer Jorge Drexler to perform at the ceremony. The Motorcycle Diaries star was horrified when he learned that Uruguay's Drexler wouldn't be able to perform his own "Al Otro Lado Del Rio" on the show "for commercial reasons" and was replaced by Banderas and Carlos Santana. But Bernal was thrilled when Drexler scooped an Oscar for the song and made a point of singing some of the song instead of making a speech. He says, "At the time his song is being honored, all a sudden, that's the moment he does not exist? It was impossible for me to be there as part of the film. I didn't want to pretend the song was not part of it; that would have been like an act of murder in the family. And secondly, the film and the song are about respecting people's identity."
No doubt Minnie was also booted for "commercial reasons", in the Academy's attempt to appeal to the MTV audience. Sure explains why they got Chris Rock to host, P. Diddy to present, and Beyonce to perform most of the songs (whether they were in her native language or not)! I forgot the Oscars were just a front to get famous names on tv, rather than awarding the artists who got the films nominated in the first place. Can't wait until next year when they get Nicole Kidman to re-enact all the film clips because the nominated performers weren't popular enough to show on television! Sorry, Meryl Streep - come back when you've won an MTV award!

*E*

Last edited by *E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* on Sat 05 Mar , 2005 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
eärendil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 9:45 pm
citoyenne du monde

Stormi, I had never seen nor heard Phantom before, except one French movie that was made after the novel. I didn't know the cast but I was decidedly overwhelmed by Emmy's voice; blame it on my ten years as lyrical singer (more in choirs but well :P).

I really liked Butler from the first moment; I don't know I had this idea that as good as the phantom could be his voice wouldn't be "pure"; and I liked it that he sung this way. But that may also be because I had never heard anyone else sing that before, I was an absolute virgin as far as POTO, the musical, was concerned.

Since then I heard the version with Sarah Brightman and while I love her voice it didn't feel the same.

As for Drexler, I also loved that he sang the song as a speech it was great :D :D :D.

I Endure in order to Reflect
Transcending Order
I seal the Matrix of Endlessness
With the Cosmic tone of Presence
I am guided by the power of Spirit

Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but
Because I knew you,
I have been changed for good

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 11:37 pm
His Rosyness

Well, Beyonce did better than I expected, though I still longed for a better singer. I never thought I'd see ALW performing on stage with someone like Beyonce - a very bizarre sight.

The sad thing is that Beyonce's version of "Learn to be Lonely" was actually better than the original in terms of orchestration and structure. It showed me that the song could be much more beautiful and powerful than Minnie's version, if only someone better than Beyonce had sung it. I really liked the orchestral sound on this version, it works better than the contemporary guitar accompaniement of Minnie's. I also liked the way the bridge was sung a second time, and seemed to build into a more powerful last verse (though Beyonce couldn't maintain that power). Despite Beyonce, I got the impression the song easily outshone all the others nominated. I was damn pissed off it didn't win. :(

Stormy, I'm sorry that Gerard disappointed you. I have to admit, despite some initial reservations on first hearing the CD before the film came out, after seeing the film the first couple of times I loved his performance unreservedly. I think he only suffers in comparison to Crawford when you're not used to him. But I think judged on its own he does have a good voice and gives a very passionate vocal performance. Even his rock star growls seem to work in context. I can't criticise any part of his singing, and I think he does a very memorable "Music of the Night". Perhaps his voice can grow on you if you see the film a few more times? What did you think of the film besides that? I love it almost as much as LOTR.

*E*, maybe we could convert this to an undercover Phantom thread to avoid ridicule ;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
enchantress
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Mar , 2005 5:55 am
Sorcery in Action

What the heck was that? It was like a friggin Beyonce fest... she sang a few songs didnt she... I felt it detracted much from the oscars. I dont hate her songs and Im found bopping up and down to some Destiny's Child sometimes.. but she just wasnt well suited to singing what she sang... and shes not even related to the movies....!!!! blah.
Just another thing that made the Oscars this year rather blah-ish for me.

Falling into Autumn... :)

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 7:12 am
His Rosyness

Hey *E*, have you watched your Oscars tape yet?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Nov , 2007 3:53 am
His Rosyness

I was searching for the old phantom movie thread then realised that we once moved boards :P

Anyway, just wanted to mention that Emmy Rossum has a CD out called "Inside Out". Unfortunately it doesn't really showcase her voice and the songs are a little more poppy than you might expect from someone who has done opera and Phantom. But it's also quite different from other young female singers and she has tried to create her own sound.

Some of the songs are really quite good and stayed in my head very easily. She is like a one woman choir which can be nice but can also hide a strong solo vocal. And I would have liked less synth and more live instruments and orchestra.. but maybe she'll grow into that.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Nov , 2007 4:48 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Agreed, Iavas. I only have the one single from it but still couldn't resist putting my mom (another Phan) through a guessing game because wow... I know why Paris Hilton's voice had to be electronically altered but we already know that Emmy's singing chops aren't half bad, so I can't say I dig this wannabe Enya stuff. What's the point in being talented if you just paint over everything with a computer? Maybe the album as a whole is great, though! I mean, I do like the easy listening, but expected something different from her. I have albums by other broadway stars and whether they lean towards the pop genre or not, you can still tell it's their voice. Oh wells, it's her first time out, everyone gets a free pass with those.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Nov , 2007 2:16 pm
His Rosyness

Well overall I definitely like it. I haven't heard that much Enya but it seems to me like her sound is a little different.

The songs where she does have a strong solo vocal are easily the two best: The Great Divide (amazing song) and Anymore. The other songs do have some good melodies and none of them are bad - she does seem to have some song-writing talent. I'd probably give it 4/5.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lurker
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Nov , 2007 2:19 pm

I like Beyonce. I have to say she did a good job in singing the song. :blackeye:

My impression in this thread is that just because a person sings Hip Hop doesn't mean she can't sing. (Yes, I have to admit I listen to Hip Hop and watch BET.) Or you guys are just not used to seeing an African American sing a POTO song. C'mon....admit it? :) :blackeye: IMHO, I think change is good. If it was Enya, Sarah Brightman or Annie Lennox who sang it I would just say it's "normal". Would you say the same thing if it's Diana Ross who was asked to sing it. I'm sure you will be pucking all over the place, too... well, maybe not. ;)

Caution...You are entering the NO SPIN ZONE.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Nov , 2007 5:21 pm

To be honest I think your post is kind of strange, Lurker, and without going back to read over this thread (sorry if it conflicts with anything I've said previously) I'll just say that Beyonce isn't hip hop, but Lauryn Hill is and she's always been a favorite vocalist of mine cuz girl can sang. Beyonce's voice is godawful to me and I can't stand to hear it. Even in the years since, after she's done Dreamgirls and all that. It just gets on my nerves. And I don't like hearing crappy voices cover songs that I adore. That's all.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Lurker
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Nov , 2007 7:05 pm

I did read the thread E.
If Beyonce isn't Hip Hop, then would you categorize her as pop? Rihanna is Hip Hop and she sings the same type of songs as Beyonce. I don't think I would categorize her as R&B. Lauryn Hill is more R&B, IMHO, like Mary J. Blidge.

Did you actually watch the clip from the Oscars?

Yeah, I know what you mean E, don't get me wrong, but what I'm trying to convey is people are somewhat "purist". If somebody who isn't in the same caliber (not just in the talent department but also physically) they start saying they have don't have talent. Beyonce can sing, IMHO, not in the same caliber as Lauryn Hill, though. (Where's Lauryn Hill, now?)

For example, my parents hate Rod Stewart (they say he sings like a grave digger) but they like the classics. I bought Rod Stewart sings the Classics, played it when they drop by our house. They go "Hey, who is this singer? He is good." I go "Rod Stewart". My dad goes "No way!" I go, "Yes it is." IMHO, if people don't know before hand who is singing the song and heard it, it sounds good, they won't pass judgement right away.

My point is don't pass judgement before you see the finished product.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Nov , 2007 7:21 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

I will never EVER forget her performance of "Vois sur ton chemin" from Les Choristes. Unfortunately...

Thankfully, I have the original on my 'pod. I nearly cried when I heard her kill it...

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Nov , 2007 7:47 pm

Lurker wrote:
I did read the thread E.
I didn't say you didn't, but that *I* had not.
Quote:
If Beyonce isn't Hip Hop, then would you categorize her as pop? Rihanna is Hip Hop and she sings the same type of songs as Beyonce. I don't think I would categorize her as R&B. Lauryn Hill is more R&B, IMHO, like Mary J. Blidge.
I would call her pop, yes. Hip hop seems to have a bit of rap in it, and Lauryn Hill definitely raps.
Quote:
Did you actually watch the clip from the Oscars?
Yes.
Quote:
Yeah, I know what you mean E, don't get me wrong, but what I'm trying to convey is people are somewhat "purist".
I'm not a purist, else I probably wouldn't like the movie soundtrack more than the original broadway version. I just don't like Beyonce and so of course would not enjoy the idea of her doing those songs, and she'd have to be that much more amazing for me to be impressed.
Quote:
If somebody who isn't in the same caliber (not just in the talent department but also physically) they start saying they have don't have talent.
I thought she was untalented long before she was set to appear at the Oscars. And I do not understand what you're saying about physical appearances. Across the Universe had Beatles songs performed by both Chinese and black people, and I ended up liking those more than the originals. Jennifer Hudson doesn't look like Sarah Brightman or Emmy Rossum but I could at least entertain the idea of her singing Phantom songs because her vocals usually blow me away to the point of tears. No puking there.
Quote:
(Where's Lauryn Hill, now?)
Touring, being crazy, and ruining the chances of a Fugees reunion.
Quote:
IMHO, if people don't know before hand who is singing the song and heard it, it sounds good, they won't pass judgement right away.
Sure there's usually a stigma attached to the more popular performers out there, but it doesn't mean a person can't just plain dislike 'em. So what? I'm not hiring these people, and if they made good records I would warm up to them.
Quote:
My point is don't pass judgement before you see the finished product.
But it's fun to discuss Oscar-related things before the big night. Nothing says I can't change my opinion afterwards. In Beyonce's case, I did not.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Lurker
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Nov , 2007 8:13 pm

Good points. I respect your opinion.

I've seen a lot of broadway musicals/play in my life (My parents and Princess are subscribers of Mirvish productions in Toronto. Season ticket holders.) and all I can say is POTO was one of those that I wouldn't watch again... ever. I only watched it cause my ex-gf dragged me at that time. At least, I didn't walk out of the theatre, because I was trying to impress her. ;) When I watched Evita with Princess and my best friend and his wife. My best friend and I didn't come back after the intermission. Our wives were fuming. :P

We walked out of the LOTR musical, which was expensive and dragging. I wanted to shout move on please.... I think there were at least four other people in our section who left before the intermission. No wonder it didn't capture audiences in Toronto. Waste of my money! :P I kid you not!

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Nov , 2007 9:46 pm

Quote:
We walked out of the LOTR musical
:Q :Q :Q

I thought it was brilliant...

Well, Arwen and Aragorn were absolutely appalling both vocally and acting..ally...? But the music was good. I loved the "Sit by the campfire lad" song... :love:

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Nov , 2007 10:46 pm

Cruc, I think we got mostly different actors over in Canada. You saw the London version, I assume? Too bad you didn't like those particular roles. I can't remember much of how individuals sounded (besides Galadriel), but Arwen and Aragorn were quite nice.

Lurker, so you're telling me you passed judgement on an unfinished product and wouldn't give POTO another chance even if it had really wonderful performers involved? Well tsk. ;)

I'd love to see musicals or plays but they don't exist in my end of the world. Instead, I download albums like a fiend and snatch up everything that remotely interests me. Being close-minded or unwilling to give an artist a chance just isn't something you can say about me. Or at least, give me a break if I don't like one artist out of hundreds. I mean I listen to a couple new albums a week... don't have the computer memory to hang onto them all. But I try.

And there's 260 cover songs on my itunes, so purism really isn't much of an issue.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Nov , 2007 11:36 pm

Quote:
Cruc, I think we got mostly different actors over in Canada.
Well duh, but the musical itself was good...

Profile Quote
Lurker
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Nov , 2007 11:49 pm

*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* wrote:
Lurker, so you're telling me you passed judgement on an unfinished product and wouldn't give POTO another chance even if it had really wonderful performers involved? Well tsk. ;)
Nope, it's not the actors, it's the whole plot I don't like it and that's different. My fave musical is Les Mis and even if it's a community theatre I would watch it over and over again. I've seen comedians doing "Jesus Christ Superstar" (the whole musical and they don't have the vocals to do it, too) but I love it.

Princess loves POTO but I told her "You know I love you, I'll do anything for you. Just don't ask me to sit through POTO...please...I beg of you!"

Cruc,
LOTR the musical was all hype and special effects. I have to agree with the critics on this one.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Nov , 2007 1:16 am

Crucifer wrote:
Quote:
Cruc, I think we got mostly different actors over in Canada.
Well duh, but the musical itself was good...
Well you were acting surprised that Lurker didn't enjoy the musical, when he was basing his opinion on a different set of performers, which could make all the difference.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 68 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: