Post Reply   Page 1 of 5  [ 93 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
Primula_Baggins
Post subject: Pride and Prejudice
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 6:22 pm
Living in hope

. . . starring Keira Knightley as Elizabeth. :help:

The trailer is here.

Romantic—modern-looking, except some of the costumes and hairstyles look too old for the period.

A Darcy who is even more expressive than Colin Firth—which I don't think fits for Darcy.

A pouty-lipped and mascara'd Elizabeth.

I don't know about this. . . .

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 8:54 pm
Takoyaki is love

Me scared to look at the trailer. :(

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 9:15 pm
Frodo's girl through and through

Ppppphhffftttt!

I wants my Jennifer Ehle with the heaving bosom and I wants her now!

I wants my Darcy in a Wet Shirt and I wants him now!

I want Julia Sawalha in her finest hour, playing a 15 year old Lydia when she was 25 and totally looking and behaving like a 15 year old.

I want all that erotic tension. Again. Give me Autumn 1995!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wilma, the trailer isn't that bad, but the thing is, this film looks like every single costume drama you've ever seen (yawn). I suppose it might be appealing if one has never seen Teh Glory That Is One Of The BBC's Best Costume Dramas Evah, their fabulous, fandabbydozy 1995 P&P. (And yes, Alison Steadman does over-act as Mrs. Bennett, but it still rocks).

Keira seems too modern a Lizzie. (One of my purist friends even found Ehle's Lizzie too modern. I absolutely adored her).

And besides ... she's Keira. (Rolls eyes).

I have yet to understand why Hollywood likes this girl so much. The other English rose I adore is Kate Winslet - she's clever, she's gorgeous, she's done interesting work (I love her Marianne in Ang Lee's Sense & Sensibility, another fine Austen adaptation). Keira just doesn't have charisma, IMO. And she has the same expression all the time, with the same Pouty Lip.

I am not feeling tempted. ;)

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 10:19 pm

I really doubt that this could beat the 1995 BBC version. Or even come close to it.

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 10:25 pm

Oh, it won't. No way.

Which is why I won't go to see it.

You can't improve on perfection!

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Profile Quote
samaranth
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 02 Jun , 2005 12:52 am

I watched. I shuddered.

To be honest Di, I wasn’t that taken with Jennifer Ehle as Elizabeth. Her delivery was quite frequently too rapid-fire, to the point where what she was saying began to lose its meaning. She seemed to be able to spout whole sentences without a breath! Her face seemed quite static (except for her eyebrows), and I didn’t think she looked the part, not enough to be classed as a ‘beauty’. But she did have a strength, and a vivacity which carried the day for me.

Keira Knightly, however, is definitely not Elizabeth. Oh dear. She just doesn’t have a late 18th/early 19th century face. And to be really, really snarky, I do wish she could keep her mouth shut when she’s not speaking. I kept thinking all through the clip ‘I wish they could have fixed her hair’ because it looks like it’s been dragged together just any old how, and not curled and arranged as it would have been for a lady of that class at that time.

Colin Firth, on the other hand, was excellent as Darcy. Just the right degree of smouldering pride, and just a glimpse of humour every now and again. Plus those incredible Looks Across the Room, when Elizabeth is playing the piano which reduced me to an inarticulate blob.

And he has dibs on the Wet Shirt.

The new Darcy seems much younger, and much more vulnerable. Couldn’t tell much more about him than that.

I loved the music for the 1995 series, particularly the fortepiano arrangement played by Melvin Tan. This one seems to have the full orchestral ‘romantic’ score (although that might just be for the trailer). I doubt that any new version will be able to rival the 1995 dance sequence at the Netherfield Ball. Oh my, that was so beautifully choreographed.

On the plus side, Judi Dench will make a very interesting Lady Catherine. I found Barbara Leigh-Hunt’s performance OK, but it’s a character that has to walk a fine line between believable and ridiculous arrogance.

This might be a ‘wait for the DVD’ one, for me.

Profile Quote
Lacemaker
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 02 Jun , 2005 2:19 am

I am another swooner for the 1995 version. I remember liking the 1984 version also, way back when, but the Ehle-Firth one is :love:

I have qualms about this upcoming film; I have not seen the trailer but from the sound of it, I don't think 1995 will lose my vote.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 02 Jun , 2005 2:26 am
Living in hope

Samaranth, I also noticed how very underdressed Lizzy was for the ball. Her gown so very plain, and no lace at all! And pray, who had the arranging of her hair? It was all caught up anyhow, and half come down again before ever she danced two dances! La! How I laughed!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
samaranth
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 02 Jun , 2005 12:24 pm

I declare, I had not noticed that! What fun! But how could such a plain little thing hope to get a husband?

:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

Lacemaker, I also rather like the earlier BBC version. It had a slower pace, and I just loved the fact that in the dance sequences they used original-looking instruments!!

Profile Quote
Leafy
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Jun , 2005 9:06 pm
Lying among the Daisies

love the 1995... loved every single character

Flipping hate Keira's hair - she looks like a 2002 tramp, not an early 19th century gentleman's daughter. She just isn't Lizzie - no pride or prejudice, just pouty arrogance and no boobs :P

Plus the new Mrs Bennett just seems whiny - yes Alison Steadman was OTT, but that just made it better IMO, as a contrast to the conventions of the time which were completely civil and composed.

I just think it a shame Judi Dench didn't play Lady Catherine in 1995 - now she has to put up with a bunch of amateurs ;)

Ready to :rage: at the cinema screen.

~Leafy~

Let's get Fizzical

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Jun , 2005 12:21 am

I always thought that Patricia Routledge (Hyancith Bucket) would have made a superb Lady Catherine, but she'd be in danger of being typecast. I didn't mind the actress in the 1995 version, though; it was excellently cast and acted all the way through (with the possible exception of Bingley).

Profile Quote
Leafy
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 04 Jun , 2005 10:24 pm
Lying among the Daisies

Ah yes... Mr. Bingley. I saw the adaptation before i read the book (i was fairly young when it came out) but when i did read it, Bingley had much more depth to his character than i saw on screen. Shame.

~Leafy~

Let's get Fizzical

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 05 Jun , 2005 12:11 am
Best friends forever

To be sure, it sounds as though it will be a dreadful bore, and no tribute to our beloved Miss Austen. One wonders how these common types dare to raise their sights so high!

Do you suppose - O horrid thought - that some colonial has had a hand in this? Mother dear, draw the curtains and shut out the rude sun whilst I have a good weep..........

Profile Quote
RELStuart
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Jun , 2005 7:35 pm
Legendury speller

hmmm, hope it turns out decently at least. :)

Besides... I think Keira is hot!

:D

My sister is hopeing as well.

I saw the 1995 version and it was actually pretty good. :)

Profile Quote
sh_wulff
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Jun , 2005 4:46 am

well I'll reserve judgement until I see it

yup have P&P and sw00n from lust every time Colin Firth is on screen

and I like him in the bath with those wet curls of his

and :oops: and admits to owninig "Bride abd Prejudice".. which is a hoot.. although I think purists would probably curl their toes.. it probably be more purist thean this last version

...and it's unbeatable for colour and spectacle

[ img ]

:grouphug: :gropehug: :grouphug:

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Jun , 2005 6:50 am
Living in hope

I need to see that, sh_wulff. Thanks for the reminder! I've heard from all over that it's huge fun.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Leafy
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Jun , 2005 11:53 pm
Lying among the Daisies

i haven't seen it, but i'm guessing it's one of those things where you want to cry, commit purist suicide and get up and dance at the same time. Must rent it. :cool:

I'd give Darcy a good scrub down anytime. :devil:

Btw Prim, i think your sig is absolutely gorgeous. Where is it from/what is it of?

~Leafy~

Let's get Fizzical

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Jun , 2005 12:07 am
Living in hope

Do you know, I don't know any more. :oops:

I'll ask my computer-artist son—he might recognize it. It's definitely computer art. I collect images I like and then sometimes rename them (bad! bad!).

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Jun , 2005 8:23 am

I echo Leafy on Prim's gorgeous sig pic. :love:

I thought it was the Ring-bearers' ship approaching the harbour of Avallone on Tol Eressea. :love: I don't imagine Eressea as mountaineous as that, unlike the mainland of Valinor, but, anyway ... :love:

Bride and Prejudice is an absolute hoot. Forget about any comparisons to Jane Austen, which are obvious and clunky. Just go and enjoy it for what it is ... hugely enjoyable Bollywood fluff!

The lead actress is gorgeous, and a very classy act. :)

My favourite track is 'No life without wife' :damnfunny but the gospel choir, Bollywood style, in LA, also cracked me up. :LMAO:

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Jun , 2005 8:58 am
Gloriosus

Hmmm ... gotta read the book.

And keep eyes open for the '95 flick, you women seem to be crazed about it ... but first things first, and first's the book.

– – –

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 5  [ 93 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: