board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Shore's Return of the King: November 6th!

Post Reply   Page 1 of 9  [ 179 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 59 »
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject: Shore's Return of the King: November 6th!
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 1:47 am
Seeking Wimbledon

Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

I'll try and get stuff on the next track (and actually respond to this one) later, but now, news on the box-set and book:
Doug Adams wrote:
>>>Why is it so hard to release a complete score for this movie? It's not like they have to hurdle through loads of legality.>>>

Well, that depends on who is releasing it, does it not? Remember that during the whole process there was a major shake up at Warner Brothers Records, and that the division that was responsible for the three original soundtrack CDs (Reprise) essentially ceased to exist. Many executives lost their jobs or resigned, and a lot of the key people who had been pushing this material through were no longer on the map. This doesn’t mean that the LOTR project was ever abandoned, or even in trouble, but it did take time to find someone to champion it once again. Despite the fact that the project seems like a no-brainer success just waiting to happen, you still need to find someone that’s got space on his plate to shepherd it through. It is a huge, huge project, and more than slightly high profile.

>>>Yeah I know they want alternate cues, unused materials, ect.... but they all already exist. >>>

Unfortunately that’s not right. Not everything was mixed. Sure film mixes existed for almost everything, but not album mixes. And since the previously released music will now exist in a different context, a good portion of that will need to be remixed as well. Including the bonus material, you could easily be dealing with 12 to 13 hours of music that need mixing. That’s a huge job – and you’ve got to pay someone to do it. And that means you need to get a large budget approved very early. So assuming you have the producer with the time and energy, the mixer with the expertise and the willingness, you still need to push everything though a big company. Again, that’s not at all a bad thing, it’s just how things work. But it still takes time.

>>>2. They might be waiting to tie it into some other product (Like a book: Music of the Lord of the Rings)>>>

Oh sure, blame me! :) Really though, my timeline is entirely dictated by the record company’s decisions. There’s no way on earth they’re going to hold this project up because some Chicago area guy decided he wanted to walk the beach while contemplating the best way to describe the Shire Theme. They say jump, I say, where should I land?

>>>3. They may have wanted to wait until the LOTR fans were ready to absorb an expensive set.>>>

This is a very good point. No matter how you slice it, there’s going to be a certain price tag attached to this project. So how best to release it? Do you strike while the iron is hot, and get it out right after the last movie? That’s a time problem and perhaps unlikely to recoup the studio’s budget – everyone just got finished buying the one-disc soundtrack, that’s a pretty egregious double-dip. Do you put it out right after the last DVD? That’s an expense problem. If your average LOTR fan just spent $60 on the extended ROTK DVD, will he turn around and drop another $150 on CDs? At Christmastime? Do you cut it down then? Just put out a new mix and a handful of unreleased tracks? Maybe cut everything from the extended editions? The fans would be out for blood, and really no one involved wants to put out a compromised version of this.

>>>4. It could be: production problems, legal problems, art problems, permission problems>>>

Well the good news there aren’t any “problems,” there are just decisions that need to be made. Think of it this way, the more material involved, the more people involved. The more people involved, the more time-intensive the decision making process will be.

Fortunately, I’m happy to say most of these decisions have been made now. In fact, the last I heard, things are pretty well set at this point. Why no announcement yet? Well, you’ve got to realize that advertising is part of the decision making process as well. These things tend to be announced when they’re going to be most effective at capturing attention, but without being crass. As I say, I’m hoping to be able to report something in a month or so, but I’m giving that timeline because that’s the next time I’m planning to be in NY at the office, so I’ll ask then if it’s ok to say something.

Oh and as for the FSM quote[1]… I’m a huge fan of Mr. Bettencourt, but I have to respectfully contradict him by saying that his quote is inaccurate in at least two ways and accurate in at least one wonderful way.

Ok, my vagueness is even annoying ME now. Sorry, guys!
Note both an estimated price ($150), and that there might be more news in a month. :)

ttbk
[1]
Quote:
The much desired ten-disc set of Shore's Rings music is unlikely to arrive this year...

Last edited by The Tennis Ball Kid on Wed 12 Sep , 2007 11:50 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Profile Quote
Sassafras
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 1:49 am
through the looking glass

Quote:
The much desired ten-disc set of Shore's Rings music is unlikely to arrive this year...

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

$150.00?

:bawl:

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 May , 2005 1:57 am
Seeking Wimbledon

Silly Sassy, that quote was a foot note, Doug said about it:
Douglas Adams (no, not that one) wrote:
Oh and as for the FSM quote… I’m a huge fan of Mr. Bettencourt, but I have to respectfully contradict him by saying that his quote is inaccurate in at least two ways and accurate in at least one wonderful way.
See? My bad for not making that more clear. :oops:

As for the $150, yeah, it's a lot, but this an unprecedented release as far as film music goes, the only thing comparable in size is the Star Wars series (and those haven't been completely released yet :bawl: ), I think this about the same you would pay for a set of Wagner's Ring Cycle. I'll be penny-pinching for months though...

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 04 May , 2005 6:48 pm
Seeking Wimbledon

Proposed (by me) tracklist for disc one of the box-set:
#1: Prologue (7:10)**
#2: The Shire, Middle Earth(:58)
#3: Concerning Hobbits(1:31)
#4: The Road Goes Ever On....(:39)
#5: A Wizard is Never Late(4:05)**
#6: Very Old Friends(1:39)
#7: A Night To Remember(1:26)
#8 Party#1(:45)
#9 Party#2(:57)
#10: The Sackville-Bagginses!(1:43)
#11: Goodbye(1:00)
#12: It's In My Pocket(1:43)
#13: The End of My Book(1:09)
#14: Riddles in The Dark(1:18)
#15: "Neither Secret, or Safe..."(3:14)**
#16: "The Green Dragon" (:20)
#17: "Rosie" (:17)
#18: "It Is The One Ring" (1:48)
#19: "Bilbo Found It" (:23)
#20: "Sauron endured" (:44)
#21: "Remarkable Hobbits" (3:53)**
#22 "The Journey Begins" (1:47)**
#23: "Wood Elves" (:49)
#24: "To Isengard!" (:40)**
#25: "Reason Exchanged for Madness" (2:27)**
#26: "The Treason of Isengard" (:55)**
#27: "Shortcut To Mushrooms" (:49)**
#28: "Brandybucks and Tooks" (:14)
#29: "Get off the road!" (:13)*
#30: "The Black Rider" (2:36)**
#31: "At The Sign of The Prancing Pony" (:27)**
#32: "No Gandalf" (:21)
#33 "Strider" (:38)**
#34 "Frodo Baggins" (:23)
#35 "Nazgul In The Night" (1:12)**
#36 "Journey To Rivendell" (2:07)
#37: Second Breakfast (1:08)
#38: Desecration of Isengard (:39)
#39: A Knife In The Dark (1:40)**
#40: Even the Smallest Creature... (4:02)**
#41: Weed (:48)
#42: AATF (5:23)**
#43: "Short Cuts Make For Long Delays" (1:01)
#44: "Many Meetings" (3:18)**
#45: "Aniron" (2:02)*
#46: "Men? Bah!" (2:23)
#47: Broken Heirloom (1:06)
#48: Isildur's Bane (1:12)
#49: Gondor Needs The Ring, Not A King (2:08)
#50: The Fellowship is Formed (3:10)**

79:41 of music, 37:09 released
*=released, **=partially unreleased
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disc one of the EE would just barely fit onto a CD. :cool:

I'll post disc two when I finish it, and move this thread to the next track as soon as I get a chance.

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 12 May , 2005 3:47 am
Seeking Wimbledon

Doug Adams just answered some more questions, it's just geeky stuff about how they have to re-mix the music for the albums and stuff, but I found it interesting. :)

Doug Adams wrote:
>>>Thanks for the in depth answer. I actually wasn't blaming you, but my thought was that the two separate publishing arms might be trying to coordinate release of the material.>>>

Heh, no problem, just playing around!

>>>Regarding the remixing of all the music: why don't they release the music on DVD or SACD instead of CD? This way, they can use the 5.1 film mixes (or am I mistaken here?) and we get the best possible surround sound.>>>

Well, the film mix is still going to be different than the album mix, so unfortunately that wouldn’t save a step. Remixing to some extent is always a must. Remember the film mix will be created to enhance the visuals while the CD mix needs to stand alone, so tweaks will be slightly different here and there. And of course, there are always different nips and tucks in each version. The 2-disc Phantom Menace is a good example of what happens when one simply releases the film mix, though obviously none of the LOTR scores were subjected to such heavy editing, so maybe that’s not the best comparison.

As for a SACD or DVD 5.1 mix – my strong suspicion is that the upcoming releases will not be in 5.1, simply because I don’t think that format has yet proliferated in the mass market. I’m sure a lot of you guys are set up for 5.1... or even 7.1... but remember, we’re still a niche. Joe Casual Listener is probably more likely to be set up with a 1990 discman and a pair of beat up earbuds that he uses on the exercise bike. Doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to hear that Watcher in the Water cue too. I think a 5.1 only release would severely cut down on sales at this point... but, that’s just a guess.

That said, I’d also be shocked if we NEVER saw a 5.1 release of some kind, but that too is a guess.

>>>Between the debates over the Theatrical release, and the Special Edition scores, it's no wonder that the powers that be cannot make up their minds about the time and how to get everything remastered and edited.>>>

Well, I should make it clear that no such debate ever existed, per se. There were a lot of ideas kicked around for a while, but it never came down to two camps, one pushing for Theatrical one for Extended Ed. In the artists’ minds (i.e. any non-corporate party involved) this has always been a platform for the full scores, DVD material included. Also, I don’t want to give the impression that there’s a surplus of indecisiveness involved here. Parties are taking their time because they want to do this right, not rush it to market for a quick buck and a splashy press release.

>>>Oh, and will your (Doug's) book be packaged with the boxed set or sold separately?>>>

Always in motion is the future...

-Doug

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 18 May , 2005 3:48 pm
Seeking Wimbledon

Speculation, based on a dream I had last night. :D
Doug Adams wrote:
Quote:
Oh and as for the FSM quote… I’m a huge fan of Mr. Bettencourt, but I have to respectfully contradict him by saying that his quote is inaccurate in at least two ways and accurate in at least one wonderful way.
Quote:
And where are the complete LOTR trilogy scores??
re: LOTR - it's coming.... starting this fall
Goldwasser is from Soundtrack.net, he's a really big fan of the scores, and I believe he has connections.

Sounds to me like they are going to release the scores seperately (though no doubt in a box-set eventually), probably spaced out a couple months apart, with FOTR coming this fall, and ROTK coming out early next year.

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 21 May , 2005 4:24 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

$ 150.- :Q and I bet you that will translate into £ 150.- over here

the same amount gives me 3 return tickets to Switzerland

:Q :Q :Q I better stop thinking like this (and start putting the pennies away)

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 25 May , 2005 12:29 am
Seeking Wimbledon

It should be kept in mind that $150 is only speculation, and really, I'm hoping it's bit lower (that's not cheap, even in the US); we should know more soon.

I'm very excited about this, in case noone noticed.

:D
ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 25 May , 2005 11:05 pm
Seeking Wimbledon

Doug Adams has all but confirmed that we're going to get them one at a time. Link

This may be of interest to anyone attending the Symphony in Toronto (not me, blast it! :():
Quote:
By the way, if any one’s going to be in the Toronto area the weekend of June 4 and 5 and planning on attending the any Kitchener Waterloo Philharmonic’s LOTR concerts, I’m scheduled to speak as part of a panel at Roy Thompson Hall that weekend discussing film music and Shore’s scores. Should anyone be interested in a little sneak preview of upcoming publications, please drop me a line. I sound far less like a bad fortune cookie in person. (My email is in my profile.)

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 May , 2005 2:49 am
Triathlete

We wants it precious, oh yes we wants it.:bawl:

Say, TTBK, does your list include the half hour of delightful original music that is on the credits of the FOTR EE DVD? It's mostly variations on the Shire themes. I'd love to have that on a CD so I could listen to it at work (they frown on movie watching, or even listening, at work for some reason).

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 May , 2005 3:30 am
Seeking Wimbledon

Quote:
Say, TTBK, does your list include the half hour of delightful original music that is on the credits of the FOTR EE DVD?
Yes, as a matter of fact. :)

From what I could tell:
1.42:36-45:31 Concerning Hobbits, alternate.
45:33-48:22 The Black Rider, with alternate (film?) ending

Then there's some not quite perfectly edited music from Moria and Lothlorien...

Then:
1.55:46-2.2:20 Alternate Breaking Of The Fellowship

Everything I've read has indicated that we will get alternates and unused. :D

I should post my complete cue list for FOTR, it needs a little tweaking first though...

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 May , 2005 3:47 am
Seeking Wimbledon

The Box-Set:Disc One:
#1: Prologue (7:10)**
#2: The Shire, Middle Earth(:58)
#3: Concerning Hobbits(1:31)
#4: The Road Goes Ever On....(:39)
#5: A Wizard is Never Late(4:05)**
#6: Very Old Friends(1:39)
#7: A Night To Remember(1:26)
#8 Party#1(:45)
#9 Party#2(:57)
#10: The Sackville-Bagginses!(1:43)
#11: Goodbye(1:00)
#12: It's In My Pocket(1:43)
#13: The End of My Book(1:09)
#14: Riddles in The Dark(1:18)
#15: "Neither Secret, or Safe..."(3:14)**
#16: "The Green Dragon" (:20)
#17: "Rosie" (:17)
#18: "It Is The One Ring" (1:48)
#19: "Bilbo Found It" (:23)
#20: "Sauron endured" (:44)
#21: "Remarkable Hobbits" (3:53)**
#22 "The Journey Begins" (1:47)**
#23: "Wood Elves" (:49)
#24: "To Isengard!" (:40)**
#25: "Reason Exchanged for Madness" (2:27)**
#26: "The Treason of Isengard" (:55)**
#27: "Shortcut To Mushrooms" (:49)**
#28: "Brandybucks and Tooks" (:14)
#29: "Get off the road!" (:13)*
#30: "The Black Rider" (2:36)**
#31: "At The Sign of The Prancing Pony" (:27)**
#32: "No Gandalf" (:21)
#33 "Strider" (:38)**
#34 "Frodo Baggins" (:23)
#35 "Nazgul In The Night" (1:12)**
#36 "Journey To Rivendell" (2:07)
#37: Second Breakfast (1:08)
#38: Desecration of Isengard (:39)
#39: A Knife In The Dark (1:40)**
#40: Even the Smallest Creature... (4:02)**
#41: Weed (:48)
#42: AATF (5:23)**

61.58 Of music, 28.26 released

Disc Two:
#1: "Short Cuts Make For Long Delays" (1:01)
#2: "Many Meetings" (3:18)**
#3: "Aniron" (2:02)*
#4: "Men? Bah!" (2:23)
#5: Broken Heirloom (1:06)
#6: Isildur's Bane (1:12)
#7: Gondor Needs The Ring, Not A King (2:08)
#8: The Fellowship is Formed (3:10)**
#9: "Gilraen" (:57)*
#10: "The Ring goes South" (3:46)**
#11: "Rabbi! From Dublin!"(4:20)
#12: "Moria" (3:56)
#13: "Open Sesame!" (:40)
#14: "The Watcher" (1:34)
#15: "Journey In The Dark" (2:15)**
#16: "Pity/The Darrowdelf" (5:26)**
#17: "Here They Come!" (1:05)
#18: "Not dead (yet!)" (4:15)**
#19: "The Bridge Of Khazad-Dum" (7:53)**

55.24 of music, 13.53 released

Disc Three:
#1: "Lothlorien" (7:25)**
#2: "Lament For Gandalf" (1:58)**
#3: "Silver Trumpets" (1:05)
#4: "The Mirror Of Galadriel (2:50)
#5: "Test Of Galadriel (2:28)**
#6: "The Fighting Uruk-hai" (1:57)
#7: "Gifts Of Galadriel" (5:21)**
#8: "The Great River/The Argonath" (5:09))**
#9: "Boromir Succumbs" (2:40)
#10: "Temptation Of Aragorn" (:48)**
#11: "That Which It Defends" (7:22)**
#12: "The Passing Of Boromir" (1:55)**
#13: "The Breaking Of The Fellowship/In Dreams/May It Be" (11:39)*

51.43 music, 27.24 released
[*=released, **=partially released]

I'm also trying to compile a list of known alternate and unused cues.

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 26 Jun , 2005 4:06 pm
Seeking Wimbledon

So hot off the press I haven't even read all of it yet....
link
Quote:
Hi guys,

I’m very sorry for dropping off the face of the earth for a while.

I was delayed.

Actually, I was recovering from surgery and in my slow moving, foggy state was trying to dedicate my clearer hours to getting work done. My inbox has got some nasty cobwebs on it, but I promise I’ll get back to all of you who have written in the past weeks.

Ok, so let me try to address a couple of questions:

Q: Is the box set still coming out?

A: Yes, yes and yes.

Q: Will it begin coming out soon?

A: Yes.

Q: When?

A: I can’t say. Sorry. It’ll start later this year. The first release date is tentatively set, don’t fret.

Q: Will it include all the music?

A: Yes, essentially. It will contain every piece of music heard in the DVD cut of the film.

Q: Wait, “essentially”? What’s that supposed to mean?

A: Not much, relax. It’s possible that if composition X contains a phrase of 5/4 Isengard percussion music seven times in a row, they may trim it to three to create a more sensible musical experience. But, even these decisions are not absolutely finalized, so it’s possibly a moot point. The bottom line is this: If a piece of music appears in the DVD cut of Lord of the Rings, it will be on CD. If a piece of music was written for the Lord of the Rings and not used, it will be on CD. If a piece of music was written and used in Lord of the Rings but slightly edited in the film, the piece of music as originally composed, performed and recorded, will be on CD.

Q: But rumors have been floating around for so long about this being left out of that left out, are you sure?

A: Yes. There is a reason for the cageyness exhibited elsewhere in this thread, but it really deals with HOW the music is being released, not WHAT is being released. And I’m sure that sounds portentous as well, but I promise, there’s not call for concern. I heard the rough assembly for Fellowship when I was in NY a couple of weeks back. It was all there and it was an absolutely jaw-droppingly amazing listening experience – completely different than listening to the single disc release. There’s a breadth to the writing score that I think can only be absorbed in this format. It completely envelops the listener in the narrative while highlighting the development and heart that’s made this such a unique endeavor from the start. Despite the fact that I’ve spent a healthy portion of the last few years surrounded by Lord of the Rings music, I was knocked over. It was so engrossing, in fact, that I was even able to ignore the pages of Shore’s Kong sketches sitting on the stand next to me! Well, mostly…

Q: Why is this thing taking so long?

A: Well, let’s pretend for a minute that Shore and his staff have no other projects right now. So we’ll ignore History of Violence, Sun, Kong a Julliard choral commission and The Fly opera just for the sake of argument. We’ll also skip over the miles of red tape involved in putting a set of this magnitude out. Pretend that no one ever had to shop this project around to get the right producers in place, make sure there was proper time to edit, mix and prepare the physical product – packaging, artwork etc. There’s still the issue of finding the right time to release more Lord of the Rings music. I know some people are complaining that it looks like Warners is double dipping here with the standard releases only a few years in the past, and I’ll talk about that in a second. But the fact of the matter is that in the past four years, fans have sunk a lot of cash into Lord of the Rings – and a sizeable portion of that as gone to CDs. If you turn around and release a CD set just a few months after the one disc Return of the King, you have to deal with a general audience that’s either annoyed, slightly confused about the difference, or simply ready to focus on something else for a while. Bad timing is a sales killer, and believe it or not, putting out this music does not come without a certain investment that needs to be recouped.

Q: Get back to that “double dipping” thing.

A: As for the double dipping, I know the complaint exists that the full scores should have been released in the first place instead of the single CD editions currently out. (Again, we’ll ignore the financial implications of the niche market who generally buys soundtrack CDs in the first place…) But, you have to remember that the music for each Lord of the Rings film was recorded in the late summer / early fall before the respective film’s release, and then again in March / April for additional DVD material. Do you put out two discs in December, then another in May? Do you release everything in May and hope that the film’s release and awards momentum has lased 5 months past the original release? Do you just skip the DVD music and hope fans won’t notice that 40+ minutes are missing off a “complete” release?

And I’ll say again, all this is secondary to the fact that there’s no way a 3 disc set of music available at the time of a film’s release is going to sell to the general public the way a single CD will. It’s not that I’m insulting a general audience’s listening acumen or intelligence, it’s simply a case of what the market will bear. The makers were very up front right off the bat – right after it was clear that Fellowship was a smash. They let us know the rest of the music would be out someday. If consumers wanted to wait until that future point to get the music, they were able to do so.

Q: What about the Music of the Lord of the Rings Films book you’ve been mention for years?

A: It’s coming, too. It will be tied to the CDs somehow, and will begin coming out at the same time. That’s about all I can say for now. I’ve got a big deadline coming up soon, so I’m getting ready for crunch time! I’ll be giving a little preview of the text in Orlando, FL sometime in August (I forget the weekend), so if you’re really anxious…!

Q: So wait, if you’re doing something along with this release, and you’re talking about how good it is, why should we trust you? Aren’t you just a big shill at this point?

A: I don’t know. Maybe I am a shill now, but I hope not. I’m new to this stuff so I haven’t yet mastered the skill of talking up something that I’m genuinely proud of and excited to share with people without sounding like some back alley huckster. I made my first trip to Shore’s office less than a month after the release of Fellowship. In some form or another, this project has been gestating since then. This is a true labor of love for a lot of people. There will always be those who say why didn’t you do this or that, but I’m learning that’s the nature of the beast. It’s funny the distrust that you generate when you work behind closed curtains, but often that’s what’s necessary. If I’d decided to pop the cork this time last year and start making unofficial announcements (and we’ll ignore something one last time here, pretending that I wouldn’t have been sued into the Stone Age!), I’d have been announcing something completely different. In the effort to create an uncompromised product that meets the expectations of creators, listeners and suits, things take a while.

So, I think that’s about the best I can do for an update right now. I’d hoped to be able to come back from NY and spill all the beans, but can’t quite yet. If anyone has additional questions, you’re welcome to post them here and I’ll try to answer the best I can, but you have to promise not to get angry if I occasionally deal the “no comment” card, ok?

All my best,

-Doug Adams

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Jun , 2005 2:01 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Who is this Douglas Adams guy?

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Jun , 2005 2:09 am
Seeking Wimbledon

Well, not The Douglas Adams for starters. :P

He's a writer for Film Score Monthly, and, as he says, has following Shore's score for three (four? :scratch ) years now...which is why he's writing the book.

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Jun , 2005 2:14 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

The Tennis Ball Kid wrote:
Well, not The Douglas Adams for starters. :P
No duh! :P

Quote:
He's a writer for Film Score Monthly, and, as he says, has following Shore's score for three (four? :scratch ) years now...which is why he's writing the book.
Thanks!

You know what I wish would be released? The full score to the movies or at least the LotR Symphony. I would absolutely love to get my hands on it!

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 19 Aug , 2005 7:54 pm
Seeking Wimbledon

From Chad "ATXhusker" at TORC, some emails exchanged with Dan Goldwasser at Soundtrack.net:
Chad wrote:
Dan,

Thanks for the reply. Do you know of a timeframe when these will be released? I have a feeling it will be in November for FOTR and then about every 3-4 weeks for TTT & ROTK, much like they did with the Star Wars SE releases back in 1997. I am sure that you are under orders not to say but as my father told me, "If you don't ask, you don't get!" :)

-Chad
Dan wrote:
Hey

Yes, to a November release, but NO, not 3-4 weeks. Longer.

No idea on how long though. I personally wouldn't expect a TTT expanded CD
release until late spring 2006 at the earliest.

Dan
:neutral: to the news about TTT and ROTK....I was hopiing it'd be quite a bit sooner than that....though I suppose they want people to be able to afford them....

:horse:, why isn't it November yet?

TTBK

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 3:37 pm
Seeking Wimbledon

Yay! :D
Quote:
The complete Oscar and Grammy winning score to "The Fellowship of the Ring," from the epic film trilogy "The Lord of the Rings," will be available in a deluxe four-disc edition from Reprise/WMG Soundtracks on November 22nd, 2005.

This historic release contains over 180 minutes of music on three CDs, comprising the full score of the 2001 film, composed by Howard Shore. "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Complete Recordings" marks the first edition of the three complete recording releases of the film trilogy whose score has been honored with three Academy Awards, four Grammy Awards, and two Golden Globe Awards. This deluxe set also includes exclusive new artwork, packaging, and extensive liner notes culled from "The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films," to be published in 2006. Enya's song "May It Be," which received an Oscar nomination for Best Original Song and which she performed at the Academy Awards ceremony, is contained on "The Complete Recordings" within all-new selection titles that reflect the complete score being released in its entirety for the first time.

Says "The Lord of the Rings" director, Peter Jackson, "No matter how many great performances or exciting visuals we put together for the movie, we found that it was all somewhat two dimensional until we added the emotional heart of Howard Shore's music. Then, and only then, did the film come to life."

Added Paul Broucek, Executive Vice President of Music at New Line Cinema, "Listening to the breathtaking music Howard Shore created is like seeing the movie time and time again. You just close your eyes, open your ears and the whole film unfolds before you. Howard's work is incredibly visual, evocative and narrative."

Composer of over sixty film scores, Howard Shore brought a lifetime of experience to creating the epochal soundtrack for The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. Shore used Tolkien's texts and drew from multiple periods throughout music history to evoke the book's enchanted worlds. He developed over 80 leitmotifs to describe the cultures of Middle-earth. Collaborating with authors/lyrists Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens, he composed choral music including the Tolkien-created languages for the Elves (Quenya and Sindarin), the Dwarves (Khuzdûl), Men (Adûnaic) and the evil cultures of Mordor (Black Speech). The result was a movie music breakthrough that has been followed by such subsequent triumphs by Shore as The Aviator, Gangs of New York, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and "The Return of the King." "The Lord Of The Rings Symphony: Six Movements for Orchestra and Chorus," a two-hour work based on the twelve hours of score composed for the film trilogy, has been performed in over 70 concerts in cities all over the world.

Composed for symphony orchestra and three separate choirs, "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Complete Recordings" highlights two original compositions by the multi-platinum Irish recording artist, Enya, including "Aníron (Theme for Aragorn and Arwen)" and "May It Be." Also featured in the score are solo performances by Elizabeth Fraser, Edward Ross, Mabel Faletolu as well as cast members Ian Holm, Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan.

The fourth disc will present "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Complete Recordings" in 5.1 Surround Sound in DVD format. The set will also include exclusive new artwork, packaging, and extensive liner notes: "The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films -- Part I: The Fellowship of the Ring" by author Doug Adams.

"Appropriately enough for the film adaptation of one of fantasy literature's most enduring favorites," wrote the All Music Guide, "Howard Shore's score for Peter Jackson's 'The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring' is traditional and majestic, using sweeping strings, brass and choral sections to create moments of fire-and-brimstone menace as well heroic triumph."
OMG

*bounce*

*bounce*

*BOUNCE*

TTBK

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 3:51 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

:D :D :D :D :D

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Sep , 2005 3:51 pm
of Vinyamar

Damn! The question is do we buy it now or wait for the inevitable Box set?

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 9  [ 179 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 59 »
Jump to: