board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Del Toro to helm The Hobbit!

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]
Alatar
Post subject: Del Toro to helm The Hobbit!
Posted: Mon 28 Jan , 2008 2:24 pm
of Vinyamar

Woohoo! Ok, so its not certain, but I hope it turns out to be true.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... 87024a2b8e
Quote:
Guillermo del Toro is in talks to direct back-to-back installments of J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," which is being co-financed by New Line and MGM.

Del Toro's name was on a short list of directors who could tackle the project, one of the most anticipated literary adaptations of the past decade. An ill-chosen director for "Hobbit" could put billions of dollars at stake for New Line and MGM and could turn off an audience that encompasses millions of passionate readers, Tolkien fans and obsessive geeks.

Few filmmakers have the cachet that del Toro has, as well as a deep love for the source material, an assured grasp of fantasy filmmaking and an understanding and command of geek culture as well as its respect. Del Toro has built that goodwill through such films as the Oscar-nominated "Pan's Labyrinth," "Hellboy," "Blade 2" (which was made by New Line) and "The Devil's Backbone."

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Jan , 2008 3:59 am
Triathlete

"geek culture" - isn't that an oxymoron? :D

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Jan , 2008 6:33 am
Takoyaki is love

I dunno about this. I wish PJ could do it because then there would a consistent vision. Crudmuffins.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Jan , 2008 8:58 am
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

I think Del Torro would do a great job I hope he gets the gig :) I thought I heard that if PJ wasn't directing he'd have a hand in producing The Hobbit and I do believe Del Torro was one of the directors they were discussing.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Jan , 2008 10:05 am
of Vinyamar

Wilma, PJ is producing and will have creative control on the look and feel of the movie. I expect we'll get something that looks and feels very much like part of the same Series.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Jan , 2008 5:45 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Excellent! I love this guy! I really hope he gets the job.

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Feb , 2008 4:45 am
Wembley bound

I can't stand Del Toro. I hope he doesn't get it but instead gets tarred and feathered...

Ok, that's a bit harsh, I just hope he doesn't get this gig...

Profile Quote
eborr
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Feb , 2008 12:58 pm

Best news I have had in a long time, hopefullyhe will be able to make something out of the story.

His visual sense in great and he hasa great feel for fantasy. He also shares with PJ a childlke enthusiasm for his movie projects which is so very important

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Feb , 2008 9:07 pm
His Rosyness

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere else:

Elijah Wood Wants To Go Back Again To ‘The Hobbit’
Quote:
“I haven’t spoken to him directly about it [but] I’ve e-mailed him, and as far as I know the two films that they’re doing, one will be ‘The Hobbit’ and another will take place between the 60 years that happened between ‘The Hobbit’ and ‘The Lord of the Rings,’” the once and future Frodo enthused to MTV News, possibly confirming rumors that the second planned film would not be a Part II, but instead a narrative bridge.

Which means plenty of opportunities for all the stars of “LOTR” to reprise their famous characters in some capacity. None more so, perhaps, than Wood himself, who would arguably be a central figure along with Gandalf, Aragorn, Galadriel, and Gollum in any connecting story.

For his part, Wood, who next stars as a conscripted citizen in “Day Zero,” is positively thrilled at the possibility.

“If I’m asked to go back and revisit that character and it makes sense, I would love to. I would absolutely love to,” he said.
I'm not sure how Frodo could really be involved considering the LOTR movies make it clear that Frodo had never left the Shire before and only knows Bilbo and Gandalf. What 'adventures' could he possibly be involved in without ruining his innocence in LOTR?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 24 Feb , 2008 5:31 pm

Someone's doing his homework. :)
Guillermo Del Toro wrote:
And, no- no more news on the HOBBIT. Except that I am done reading 3/4 of EVERYTHING JRR Tolkien ever wrote. When I tried to read LOTR at 11 I found it too dense- now at 43 I read them and found them a breeze- BUT I do keep a notepad as I crawl slowly through The Silmarillion - which I find strangely hypnotic and wonderful. I have read so much mythology and mythology / folklore studies in my life and this one is fascinating. I can trace a lot of what Tolkien was doing to Mythologies all over the world (specially Icelandic) BUT he then roots it and re-shapes into a meticulously created Cosmology that is perfect for the Anglo-Saxon world. Brilliant, strong stuff.

Next I will finish two biographies on the Professor... I remember some of his credo about fantasy that affected me deeply when I was a kid. He said something like "keep everything fantastic enough to make it spellbinidng and real enough to make it relatable" I am sure I am misquoting but its been decades since I read it.
http://boards.universalpictures.com/hel ... wtopic=225

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 25 Apr , 2008 10:36 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Well, it's confirmed. del Toro is filming both movies - with a release date of 2011/12.

He's moving to New Zealand for the next four years to work with Jackson and his Wingnut and Weta production teams. He’ll direct the two films back to back, with the sequel dealing with the 60-year period between The Hobbit and FOTR.

Don't believe any rumours you read about actors, start date on production and script. Nothing is written and not a single actor has been properly signed up, even though Jackson has told McKellen he couldn't imagine anyone else playing Gandalf.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 27 Apr , 2008 2:04 pm
of Vinyamar

Actually, Del Toro has spoken to McKellan and Serkis. Both wish to return, all other things being equal, so I assume they will.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 25 May , 2008 11:40 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Here is a webchat that Jackson and del Toro did this weekend. Much is revealed, including McKellen, Shore, Lee and Serkis confimed, and as many cameos as possible.

http://www.wetanz.com/holics/index.php? ... 95&catid=2

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject: Re: Del Toro to helm The Hobbit!
Posted: Sun 26 Sep , 2010 4:34 pm
Aspiring to heresy

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
RELStuart
Post subject: Re: Del Toro to helm The Hobbit!
Posted: Mon 25 Oct , 2010 2:42 am
Legendury speller

Jude wrote:
Hopefully the problems will be resolved. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/employment-re ... d=10682933

I think Brett and Jermaine from Flight of the Concords should be sent to Australia to work out a peaceful end to all this talk. :P

Check out who has been cast in the movie already! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903624/

"When people don't believe in you, you have to believe in yourself. "
Pierce Brosnan

"Please don't disillusion me. I haven't had breakfast yet." Card

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment”
Jump to: