Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject: Tolkien estate sues over LotR movies
Posted: Tue 12 Feb , 2008 6:51 am

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2008/ ... wsuit.html

Quote:
Tolkien estate sues over Lord of the Rings movies

Monday, February 11, 2008 | 4:46 PM ET
CBC News

The charity that manages the estate of British writer J.R.R. Tolkien has sued the studio behind the Lord of the Rings film trilogy, saying it hasn't been paid a cent for granting the rights to the story.

The Tolkien Trust and publisher HarperCollins filed suit against New Line Cinema in a Los Angeles Superior Court on Monday.

The suit is claiming $150 million US in damages and threatens to revoke New Line's right to make The Hobbit, another Tolkien tale, into a film.

The suit claims New Line has not paid any part of the 7.5 per cent of gross receipts from the films it promised in return for rights to film the story.

Tolkien, who died in 1973, is the world-renowned author of the Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit.

The filing estimates return from the three Lord of the Ring films — The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and The Return of the King — at $6 billion US, but says New Line has not allowed it to audit the last two films of the series.

"New Line has brought new meaning to the phrase 'creative accounting,'" Bonnie Eskenazi, U.S. counsel for the Tolkien Trust, said in a statement.

"I cannot imagine how on earth New Line will argue to a jury that these films could gross literally billions of dollars, and yet the creator's heirs, who are entitled to a share of gross receipts, don't get a penny."

The last of the films had its commercial release in 2003 and the Tolkien Trust says it has taken every other avenue to try to claim its money before coming before the court.

Peter Jackson, who directed the Lord of the Rings film trilogy, has signed on as executive producer for The Hobbit.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Feb , 2008 6:57 am
His Rosyness

:roll:

Pay up New Line.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
eborr
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Feb , 2008 7:40 pm

hmm thought the JRRT has sold the rights way back when - with stuff like this only the lawyers win

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Feb , 2008 2:08 am
Takoyaki is love

What is it with New Line not paying? Yes I understand it was their idea to have 3 films rather then 2 but come on now!!!

Also I want to have an adea of what the agreement was in the actual sale of the film rights. I thought Tolkien had sold the rights but maybe there was some thing with royalties in the agreement.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Feb , 2008 12:20 pm
of Vinyamar

Voronwe and Soli are discussing over on HoF. They're both legal chappies so they seem to know what they're talking about. I'd summarise but I haven't a clue what they're saying. ;)

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Feb , 2008 11:57 am
Frodo's girl through and through

Alatar wrote:
Voronwe and Soli are discussing over on HoF. They're both legal chappies so they seem to know what they're talking about. I'd summarise but I haven't a clue what they're saying. ;)
I'm glad it's not just you. :D

:)

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
Master Samwise
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 16 Feb , 2008 2:40 am

if you could post a link to that conversation (i have no clue what and where HoF is), i would love to read it, as i, too am one of those "legal chappies" you talked about since i am currently IN law school...

Regret is what you're left with when everything else fades away.

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 16 Feb , 2008 3:24 am
Same as it ever was

Master Samwise wrote:
if you could post a link to that conversation (i have no clue what and where HoF is), i would love to read it, as i, too am one of those "legal chappies" you talked about since i am currently IN law school...
Good for you, MS!! Although I am still a bit miffed at you for posting that I am some sort of dope smoking idiot over on TORC, here is your link. :P:P:P

BTW, I am the same age as the old Nienna was, hardly the "doper age," and still probably old enough to be your mother, or at least an aunt. :D All is forgiven, just never let it happen again!! :salmon: :poke: :fight:

(PS, Hof or Hall of Fire is a board that splintered off of this one about two years ago or so, since at the time, this board was rather chaotic and a bit too liberal/running amok for some members who wanted more order and less disruption over the place they came to post.) The owners of HoF are Voronwe and Jnyusa, long ago moobies regulars, both banned in the infamous TORC blow up (wrongfully so in both cases,) and both my age range or about. Great people!! V himself is an attorney, J is a college prof. Most people on HoF tend to be a bit older, not a hard and fast rule, but it is a more serious and sober, more intellectual/reflective site.

Anyway, here ya go! :D:D

http://www.thehalloffire.net/forum/index.php

You will need to register to view the chat forums, but otherwise should be able to scope it all out. Registering is no big deal, BTW.

The specific thread you want is here:

http://www.thehalloffire.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1453

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment”
Jump to: