The Last Homely Site on the Web

Gardening

Post Reply   Page 2 of 16  [ 308 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 516 »
nienna
Post subject: Re: Gardening 2008
Posted: Tue 07 Jul , 2009 7:02 am
The best things in life are not things

Legolas, I planted an autumn flowering (Nov-Apr) cherry back in March, Can I expect it to follow the same growth pattern as you outlined above? I haven't noticed an awful lot of difference in size yet!

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Tue 07 Jul , 2009 8:09 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

You mean you planted it in March 2009? I wouldn't expect that you would see much of a size difference. I would think you'd see more of a difference next spring. This spring and summer it may have been concentrating more on its root structure.

We planted a spring flowering cherry in March as well and I don't see any change in its size, though it's put out plenty of leaves and still looks healthy. Though the rowan we planted last autumn definitely has grown.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Tue 07 Jul , 2009 10:14 am

Yes. Mine has put out plenty of leaves, too. It even flowers after we planted it, as well! Seems healthy enough, anyway. :)

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject: Re: Gardening
Posted: Thu 11 Mar , 2010 10:13 pm

I bought some 6 mil plastic sheeting today, and I'm going to convert a large mobile cage we made a few years into a portable greenhouse. I also bought some cabbage and brocolli plants. It's too cold here for them, but once I get the green house ready, I can plant them in there and get a month's head start. Our cool season is always too short (goes from too cold to too hot in a couple of weeks) so it will be interesting to see how a green house will help things.

The soil temp for our area hit 45 F today, so I'm going to plant peas and carrots and lettuce and beets and potatoes this weekend. From what I've read, it doesn't do any good to plant before the soil hits 45, the cool season seeds will just rot. 55F for warm season crops. Measuring the soil temperature seems a much more surefire way to figure out when to plant than picking a particular time frame. Fortunately, our state keeps a running tally on the average soil temps all accross our state, so that's a handy tool to have.

It rained a LOT last night, but I'm hoping that will have drained well enough by this weekend I can plant, at least if I work the ground by hand. It would be nicer/easier to do it with our tractor, but when it's mucky, the big equipment does more harm than good. I'm not going to wish futilely for less rain this year. I'm going to plant in mounds so my produce doesn't rot in the ground. I'll have to water more later on, but I can always close off the ends of the rows between the mounds and make a water soak ditch if I need to.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Fri 12 Mar , 2010 12:13 am
Best friends forever

Maria, it's well worth creating raised beds. I use old railway ties and do it very casually.

It's still too cold here to plant, although if I was organized and had the time I'd put peas in now.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Fri 12 Mar , 2010 8:22 am

I shook the seeds from my sweet peas over the ground last Fall and they are about 6 inches high already - seems they enjoyed our bumper snowfall this year!

~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 12 Mar , 2010 2:28 pm

I don't think I could do that with sweet peas in my climate, nienna. It gets too cold here, I think.

I've done semi raised beds before, vison, but made only with mounded earth and no real sides. I don't want to give up the possibility of using our tractor mounted tiller if the ground ever dries out enough. If I built actual raised beds I couldn't do that anymore.

Right now our ewes have the run of our garden plot. When I plant stuff I'll have to put up a temporary fence to keep them out of that section. I don't know what their hard little feet have done to the tilth of the soil over the winter. I hope the added manure was worth it. They sure nibbled down all the weeds and grasses over the winter. That will make tilling easier.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 15 Mar , 2010 7:13 pm

It rained all weekend, so I didn't get to do anything garden related. :bawl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 01 Jan , 2011 6:04 pm
Aspiring to heresy

So I picked up a sun lamp because my orange plant isn't doing well inside, when it had done splendidly all summer outside.

I'm thinking I should gradually acclimatize it, starting with an hour a day. Or should I just give it a full day of sun right away, since sun is what it's so obviously craving?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 01 Jan , 2011 6:12 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I have no advice to give, sorry. Anything I would say would probably kill it. :(

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Sun 02 Jan , 2011 9:22 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

I would think you could put it into full "sun" right away. It would be just like moving it outside in the summer, right?

Profile Quote
laureanna
Posted: Mon 03 Jan , 2011 5:16 am
Triathlete

The only thing that worked for me and my desire to grow citrus plants was to move to California. It's not just sunshine (I gave mine grow lights in the winter), it's mild humidity, real soil, and a lack of those pesky invertebrates (outdoors, the other invertebrates, birds and frogs keep the bugs down). And citrus like it really warm in the summer - over 85F (29C). I have a grapefruit tree in my yard now. It's lovely to look at. However its fruits are acidic enough to make a great meat tenderizer (as I found out when I tried to taste one - I had a sore tongue for a day). My daughter fertilized it recently and now it is uttering joyous leaves of dark green.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 03 Jan , 2011 2:20 pm

Sticking a plant out into full sunlight suddenly can kill the leaves, but I don't know if a lamp would burn them like that.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 12 Jan , 2011 3:26 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I took Elsha's advice and started it right away with 10 to 12 hours of "sun". So far so good: my banana plant is showing some new growth, and my orange tree hasn't lost any more leaves or fruit since. If only I had done this sooner.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
None_Elf_Ear
Posted: Fri 11 Feb , 2011 3:56 pm
HM Indefatigable

I have a n00b question about azaleas (is this the correct spelling in English, I wonder?): I recently acquired one as a present from my boyfriend and would like it to last. I have been toying with the idea of starting growing apartment plants for too long, anyway. I replanted it three days after I got it and watered it daily. I found out that these flowers are quite sensitive and can't be exposed to too high temperatures or too much light, so I didn't. Yet, the petals are withering and the leaves are falling.

What have I done wrong?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 11 Feb , 2011 7:52 pm

I've killed every azalea I've ever planted, so I can't help you. :( Isn't that one that needs acid fertilizer?

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Fri 11 Feb , 2011 9:12 pm
Best friends forever

Is this what they call a "pot azalea" or is it a nursery plant meant to be planted outdoors?

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 11 Feb , 2011 11:13 pm

I do know they need acidic soil. Beyond that, I'm clueless. And I tend to kill everything, so hopefully someone else can give you good advice!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Sat 26 Mar , 2011 10:09 pm

Yep...they need ericaceous compost, and should ideally be watered wth rainwater only.

~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 02 Mar , 2012 3:47 pm

http://www.garden-of-eatin.com/how-to-avoid-monsanto/

List of seed companies that do not use Monsanto (GMO) seeds.

Any thoughts about this topic? I'll admit that I haven't done a ton of research on it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 16  [ 308 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 516 »
Jump to: