board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

The Dark Knight

Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 77 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Jul , 2008 2:44 pm

It just occurred to me that after watching Brokeback Mountain, I left thinking that Heath Ledger had given one of the greatest performances I'd ever seen. After seeing Dark Knight, I was left thinking the very same thing. And good lord, has any actor ever so thoroughly embodied two such vastly different characters! Clearly we lost a genius in Heath Ledger.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Jul , 2008 3:29 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Lots of them seem to have went at age 27. *sigh*

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Jul , 2008 4:56 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Whoa, how comes no one told me this movie was kind of popular? :shock:

Thought I'd sneak into a late night showing during the week and avoid crappy weekend crowds. Boy, did that plan not work out. I was smart enough to try arriving an hour early, just in case (usually I do this at the five minute mark, it really is that easy), but even still, the parking lot was full, people were everywhere, and the line had doubled only seven minutes after I got in it. Holy moly!!! This probably isn't interesting, I just had to comment on it because it is unlike anything I've ever seen. I've only been avoiding big crowds for three years now but still... overwhelming. Also, most movies are scheduled to let out around 11pm, while this one ran until 12:30am. :coffee: Good thing I slept all day and just got up in time to dress for the show.

As for the film itself...

Awww, Heath. Soon as he showed up on screen it hit me how much I really fucking miss him. Sorry, I have some posters of him on my wall and it's hard to look at them now. He made the film, though. What a fascinating performance, every moment of it. Not to take anything away from Aaron Eckhart, who was also perfect, and what first got my attention in the ads for this flick. As a whole, I liked TDK loads more than Batman Begins, and was reminded of what I liked most about BB (the villain, the scares, the sudden violence, the fact that decisions have consequences and most choices aren't so pretty). Besides Joker and Two Face, I wasn't emotionally invested in much, but I did appreciate what was going on. The filmmakers had a lot of balls choosing some of those casualties, and concocting the situations. I mean, a boat full of prisoners or a boat full of civilians? And it still doesn't end how you think? Bravo. I am still partial to the X-Men franchise (well, at least the first one) but this was a nifty film.

Off to work on my magic pencil trick...

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Jul , 2008 6:38 am

Oh hey, my Batman ticket just won me a prize in that contest I mentioned earlier. Now I like the movie even more. :D *skips*

[ img ]

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Jul , 2008 10:19 am
b77 whipping boy

remind me not to ask you to show me your pencil trick :P

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Jul , 2008 10:28 am

Seeing it is fun, though!

You just don't want it to be performed on you.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Jul , 2008 8:23 pm
Daydream Believer

Where or where did you get the GIF?

I wanna steal it.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Jul , 2008 10:40 pm

Okay, went to see it this afternoon.

THAT WAS ABSOLUTELYMINDBLOWINGLYOUTOFTHISWORLD AMAZING.

I had to call a friend back after the movie and she said "You sound like you just had the best sex of your life." ((And my reaction was: "Hey, if sex is like this movie, maybe it's not so bad." But that's a tale for another day.)

So....I think that pretty much sums up my reaction. :oops:

Nothing I read or heard ANYWHERE prepared me for that. Joker is breathtaking, in his mannerisms, his laughter, everything.

I'll admit he's always been my favorite villain, but this movie made sure that no one could ever take his place. :love:

I'm still not very coherent, and it's been about an hour since it finished.....

Harvey Dent was a pleasant surprise as well. He's the kind of character that can easily be taken lightly, but Eckhart did a wonderful job.

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Jul , 2008 11:56 pm

Ara-Anna, I got it here: http://lallly.livejournal.com/10717.html#cutid1

There seem to be a lot of GIF-making programs around, so all someone needs for 'em is the trailer or a poor-quality pirate and voila, hot nurse Joker at your service.

Ah, poor-quality pirates... how you sustain me until DVD releases... :love:

[ img ]

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Jul , 2008 10:07 pm

I think my stomach's still left in the cinema seat...

That is THE most intense film I've ever seen. I was just pressed down in my seat by it. And it hurt like hell, it was so painful to watch, so many awful things happened and it was impossible not to feel it. But painful or not, it was amazing. I was totally blown away. Incredible acting by... everyone. And what a story! You know, after the first third of the movie or so, I felt that it was about to end, things seemed to be wrapping up, and then - WHOOOM! The movie just shifts gears and blows you away. Incredible.

I was really shocked about the people who died. First about the person who turned out to be alive (deep sigh of relief!), and then about the person who... stayed dead. I had never ever expected that to happen.

The only thing that disappointed me a bit, was the score. Not that the music wasn't good, but I had expected more from it. First time I watched Batman Begins, I thought "Wow, such great music, I'm gonna buy this soundtrack!" Didn't feel that way today. But then again, I might have been so immersed in the movie that I didn't really notice the score at all, brilliant or not...

Extra plus points for having the Chinese speak Chinese and not English to each other. :roll:;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Jul , 2008 10:49 pm
b77 whipping boy

the score was noticable in its absense. I think it added a tremendous amount to the tension of the film. In Batman begins, there were sweeping changes to the score that make the film feel grander.

In The Dark Knight, you expect the score to guide your emotions somewhat, to know we're building to a climax, or relaxing from one... but it's not there!!! and the tension just keeps building.

I need to see it again and will probably pay more attention to the score, as I didn't notice it until about halfway through.

the long eerie almost dissonant note that happens a couple of times, really got to me.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Jul , 2008 11:40 pm

I think you have many good points, hal. Thinking through what you just wrote, and remembering what I... remember of the score, I think this might be more of a "movie score" than a "soundtrack score to listen to whenever you want to just because it sounds great". And I was perhaps expecting a bit more of the last.

Not that the two of them are mutually exclusive (LotR!). And I too am going to see the movie again, and I've also ordered the soundtrack. So no final words in this matter just yet. ;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Jul , 2008 11:41 pm
b77 whipping boy

If you're not familiar with itsjustsomerandomguy on youtube, I offer you this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Jul , 2008 11:47 pm

:LMAO:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Jul , 2008 11:58 pm

Marvel VS DC is awesome. :D itsjustarandomguy is a geeky genius. :love:

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Jul , 2008 12:19 am

Quote:
the score was noticable in its absense. I think it added a tremendous amount to the tension of the film.
I definitely noticed that. The (awesome!) car chase was score-silent for major chunks of it and the silence is excruciatingly tense. One of countless brilliant cinematic touches.

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Jul , 2008 1:02 am

I really, really think the posters for this movie are so great.

http://www.movieweb.com/movies/film/81/4381/posters.php

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Jul , 2008 1:10 am

I saw (or heard somewhere, probably a DVD commentary) that the best film scores are the ones that you don't notice until it's gone.

I think that Zimmer and Howard did an excellent job with that.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 25 Jul , 2008 3:58 am

[ img ]

(On a less comical note than the above photo suggests, I can't stop thinking about the film and it's giving me disturbing nightmares. Usually when movies get in my head, it's in a good way. Like, I'll start saving photos from it, buy the soundtrack and some posters, make the effort to write on messageboards about it... not like this. Intense movies + dead actors = bad combo, I guess.)

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 25 Jul , 2008 9:59 am
of Vinyamar

Magnificent Movie.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 77 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: