board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Latest Indiana Jones 4 news

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
sauronsfinger
Post subject: Latest Indiana Jones 4 news
Posted: Wed 07 Dec , 2005 10:55 am

George Lucas flew to New York for the KING KONG premier and gave us a few bits of news about the much discussed Indiana Jones 4.
Quote:
So the big news is that Lucas is now devoting himself full-time to writing and producing "Indiana Jones 4." Steven Spielberg, of course, will direct.

Lucas told me that he's got a script now from Jeff Nathanson, and he's tweaking it. That won't go on forever, he assured me, and filming will occur before Harrison Ford goes into a nursing home.

Does he miss "Star Wars" now that it's all wrapped up?

"I don't," he said, "not really. I've got so many things to do."

And how aware is he of it permeating pop culture forevermore?

"It should last about 50 more years and then go the way of all things," he said.

I think it will last much longer, but this is Lucas: very modest. He said that the next films he'll direct will be small ones without special effects.

He also told Army Archerd, Variety's famed columnist — who's writing a must-read blog now at the newspaper's Web site — that he thinks "King Kong" will do $150 million in its opening weekend.

Lucas told me though that he doubts "King Kong" will get an Oscar nomination for Best Picture, even though it should.

"These kinds of movies rarely do," said the director of six blockbuster movies that were never nominated either.

Last edited by sauronsfinger on Wed 07 Dec , 2005 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 07 Dec , 2005 3:58 pm
Living in hope

Actually, I believe STAR WARS was nominated for Best Picture.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 07 Dec , 2005 4:21 pm

Primula
yes, you are correct. STAR WARS was nominated for Best Picture at the 1977 Awards and lost to ANNIE HALL.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 07 Dec , 2005 6:10 pm
His Rosyness

I know PJ can do pretty much anything he sets his mind to, but a $150mill opening weekend? I don't think so, even if it wasn't 3 hours.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 07 Dec , 2005 6:36 pm

Perhaps that is the figure for the worldwide take?

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 07 Dec , 2005 10:17 pm
Insolent Pup

150 mil in the opening? That's awfully liberal...

I think at least it'll take a good 60 mil at least, but my opinion doesn't really count much for magazine writers.

Annie Hall was good. I can see why Star Wars lost.

I am glad that Harrison Ford is going to be in this one.

Edited because I started talking about King Kong, not Indiana Jones. I completely forgot what thread I was in.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 07 Dec , 2005 10:39 pm
Daydream Believer

What is it called? Indiana Jones and lost mind?

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 08 Dec , 2005 1:20 am

What are you trying to say Ara-anna? Got something against sexy senior citizens? I have a feeling that Harrison Ford can keep his shoes under your bed on a cold night. And if you are not willing -- he could have his pick. Nobody else could be Indy except Ford.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 08 Dec , 2005 1:23 am
Insolent Pup

Indiana Jones and Why Am I Holding Whip, Again?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 25 May , 2008 10:05 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Meh. The colour was washed out throughout the entire movie. A metaphor, methinks.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 25 May , 2008 10:41 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

But did it suck?

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 25 May , 2008 11:27 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Yes

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 26 May , 2008 2:52 am
Daydream Believer

Well that makes me not want to see it. Usually our movie tastes are quite alike Estel. I heard a bunch of people talking about it today but these people are not the people I would consider 'movie critics' if you know what I mean, they all loved it. It made me a bit leary because these people really like bad movies.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 26 May , 2008 9:39 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

There are a few inventive moments, a few nods to other movies but the rest is either a tired retread or just too implausible to the point that you cannot suspend disbelief.

The early films have a frenetic energy about them, and Raiders set the bar so much higher than any other movie before it. In fact the Indy II and Indy III were always going to be viewed poorly against the original, even though they were great films in their own right.

As Roger Ebert put it in his write up of Last Crusade 19 years ago:
But there was no way for Spielberg to top himself, and perhaps it is just as well that "Last Crusade" will indeed be Indy's last film. It would be too sad to see the series grow old and thin, like the James Bond movies.

Also missing is the dry humour from earlier movies.

But it is the energy that this lacks most of all. In the script, in the imagination, in the wonderment and in the character.

Ebert was right. I am reminded of Roger Moore in A View To A Kill. The tiredness of both the series and the leading man.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 27 May , 2008 12:55 am
Try to stay perky

What a pity! I think we'll still go coz the kids really want to see it. We'll make it a family outing and as long as it's not a complete stinker and has a few jokes, we'll call it good.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 27 May , 2008 4:00 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

As I said on HoF, I'd like to go see it but probably won't till it comes out on DVD.

I had heard it was pretty decent.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 27 May , 2008 1:42 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

I saw Indiana Jones and the something something crystal skull last night and I was presently surprised! It wasn't as good as the third installment but it held it's own! There was a plot point that I just didn't see coming but it wasn't bad, unexpected but not bad per se.

The way it was filmed felt VERY different. All the other Indy films felt like they were actually filmed in the 1950's but this one looked like it was filmed in 2008 but set in the 1950's if that makes sense.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 27 May , 2008 2:57 pm
You are hearing me talk

I thought the first halfish was on par with the previous three, but things went severely downhill starting with the jungle chase and it left me disappointed overall. Also, despite everything they said about relying on traditional stuntwork rather than digital effects, there's an awful lot of CG in there and it almost always hurts rather than helps (what they actually seem to have done is used stuntwork for Indy's action sequences while going digital for Mutt's).

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 28 May , 2008 11:57 am
Wembley bound

I really thought that you couldn't go wrong with an Indy film. No matter how lame the plot was, no matter matter how old Ford is, its Indiana Jones!

Sadly the plot took the one turn that I though didn't fit at all with Indy films.

The other three were all based in history persay, yet in this one going the route of (spoilers): interdimentional aliens was a few steps to far. It just didn't fit.

That being said, I was still entertained. It was a bit nostalgic. I hope they go on to make some spinoff Young Indy films, like the books.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 30 May , 2008 3:45 pm
of Vinyamar

Does exactly what it says on the tin... what more can you say? It was Indy through and through, had all the over-the-top wackiness and pseudo-mythological babble, and, yes, the paranormal stuff of all the previous three. I felt Indy looked a bit decrepit in the first 10 minutes but after that he really worked. Mutt was great and it was a genuine delight to see Karen Allen. She reminded me of that Beautiful South song

"Take a look at those crows feet, just look, sitting on the prettiest eyes..."

Two thumbs up!

(Even if I have no idea what actually happened at the end, but hey...)

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: