board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Repo! The Genetic Opera

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject: Repo! The Genetic Opera
Posted: Thu 02 Oct , 2008 2:57 am
Another bright red day

Instead of studying for my exam tomorrow tomorrow, I discovered this new film (based on a stage play) called Repo! The Genetic Opera which is coming out on November 7. The premise is that in the future organ failures are rampant so people buy new organs from this corporation, Geneco. If you miss a payment, they send the Repo Man after you to repossess said organ.

It's being compared to a combination of Blade Runner and Rocky Horror with the tagline "Not Your Parents' Opera". Anyway, I downloaded the soundtrack and I am fascinated. It's kind of jarring at first but I love the concept and the trailer (on the official site is really compelling. They've got a crazy cast, too -- Anthony Head of Buffy fame (really, who doesn't love Giles?) as the Repo Man, Sarah Brightman, even Paris Hilton. Should be interesting if nothing else.

Anyone heard/heard of this?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject: Re: Repo! The Genetic Opera
Posted: Thu 02 Oct , 2008 4:38 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Definitely heard of it. Years ago, if memory serves! I thought it was supposed to be a stage show in Toronto, so I was super confused when I heard about it being released in theatres. Will try to find the soundtrack and have a listen. Film musicals are hit and miss with me but I always love to check out the more gruesomely-inclined flickies out there...

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
laureanna
Posted: Thu 02 Oct , 2008 4:51 am
Triathlete

***watches clip...fans self***

Looks interesting. I might see it alone, but sure won't be seeing this one with my (grown) kids. :oops:

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Posted: Sat 04 Oct , 2008 3:19 am
Another bright red day

It was originally on stage, *E*. And now it's a movie!

I thought I was going to dislike the music a lot but I ended up humming this one phrase all day and now I think I'm going to end up being in love with it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Sat 04 Oct , 2008 3:33 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Thanks, Mossy. You know how easily confused I get. :P One time I wanted to watch Night of the Living Dead to get all cultured and such, but I spent most of the film wondering why it wasn't in black & white and where the zombies originated from. I was watching the 30-year-anniversary remake of the original lol.

Anyhow, no more peeps from me until I've actually listened to it!

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Posted: Sat 04 Oct , 2008 4:04 am

I must say that it sounds like it'll be amazing. :banana:

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Posted: Sat 04 Oct , 2008 6:02 am
Another bright red day

*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* wrote:
Thanks, Mossy. You know how easily confused I get. :P One time I wanted to watch Night of the Living Dead to get all cultured and such, but I spent most of the film wondering why it wasn't in black & white and where the zombies originated from. I was watching the 30-year-anniversary remake of the original lol.

Anyhow, no more peeps from me until I've actually listened to it!
Of course! Cast recording snob that I am, it took some serious Amazon/Wikipedia-ing before I convinced myself that I did want the movie and not the stage version. :P I'll be interested to hear what you think.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Mon 06 Oct , 2008 9:54 am
of Vinyamar

Looks interesting. Checking it out...

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 09 Nov , 2009 3:02 pm

I didn't like this movie. I thought, for some reason, that a musical horror sci fi show would have an element of humor or fun to it, but no. It was just kinda grim and gory and sad. Not fun at all. And I didn't care for the songs, either. So, it was pretty much a waste of time for me. I kept getting distracted by all the blood, too. Not in a horrified way- but in a "If that were real blood it would really be a pain to clean up. I wonder if whatever they are using is as hard to clean as real blood?" (Cleaning up after butchering animals always takes waaaaay too long.)

Anyway, it was disappointing.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Posted: Mon 09 Nov , 2009 11:20 pm
Another bright red day

I agree with you to a degree. I was hoping for something more parodyish, but was fine that it wasn't and am usually game for a good tragedy. I did think, however, that it was a really interesting concept that wasn't nearly as well realized as it could have been. (I've only seen it once, last year, so I can't be more specific.) I do enjoy the music, although may not have done so had I not gotten the CD before seeing the movie. Also, Anthony Head singing is always a good plan. (And don't worry, stage blood usually isn't that bad to clean up.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Tue 10 Nov , 2009 7:14 am

I've yet to see the movie, but have definitely been enjoying the soundtrack all these months. It's a nice blend of industrial and hard rock that I rarely see in musicals and so wasn't a far stretch from my normal listening habits. Some of the songs are outright sexy. Good to play at Halloween or any other time of the year!

Sad to hear there isn't much humor in the film, that is usually my favorite aspect of any horror movie.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment”
Jump to: