board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Westerns

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
Sieglinde
Post subject: Westerns
Posted: Mon 17 Nov , 2008 2:36 pm

I hope I'm not the only one who likes them. :)

I especially like Italian westerns and Peckinpah's movies. How about you?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject: Re: Westerns
Posted: Mon 17 Nov , 2008 2:53 pm
of Vinyamar

I love the Spaghetti Westerns, and the more recent ones like Unforgiven. Not a big fan of the old John Wayne style ones though.

Personal favourite? Deadwood.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 17 Nov , 2008 3:22 pm

Go see APALOOSA with Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen. Its really good.

I too join with Alatar on praising DEADWOOD. It was an amazing combination of Shakespeare and the profane. I was very sorry to see it go after only three years while garbage stays on year after year after year.

I really love the old Westerns directed by John Ford. Great pieces of cinematic history. And THE WILD BUNCH and BUTCH CASSIDY-- great films both.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Sieglinde
Posted: Mon 17 Nov , 2008 7:50 pm

I hate John Wayne. As much as I love the genre itself. His movies are so old-fashioned. Being heroic, killing Indians and getting the blonde heroine. I'm with the Indians. :horse: Not to mention he's fat like a tenor.

I like when a western is dirty, bloody and disillusioned. Wild Bunch is a perfect example. One of my all-time-favourites. That walk and the Bloody Porch scene is priceless.
Peckinpah knew something.
Pike: "Let's go."
Lyle: "Why not?"

And I like a lot of rare Italian westerns, but also all works of Sergio Leone. That man was a genius. And he knew how to find badass heroes plus fantastic "faces" for the supporting cast.

And I like High Noon and The Magnificent Seven. It's not as great as The Seven Samurai, of course, but it's a good western. And Butch Cassidy is adorable. RIP Paul Newman. :bawl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 17 Nov , 2008 10:52 pm

Sieglinde -- there are some pretty good John Wayne westerns directed by John Ford. I am no fan of Wayne from a political point of view and he was a very limited thespian. But he did make a few good ones when John Ford was at the helm. If you are interested I would name a few.

But I am glad to see we enjoy many of the same films. If you want great faces, John Ford was one of the best. The best of all of course was Sergie Eisenstein of Russia. His faces were like paintings. Go rent Ivan the Terrible - both parts and just watch the faces of the extras. They are heavenly!!!!! :cheers:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 7:37 am
Insolent Pup

I love spaghetti westerns. I'm also a big fan of Clint Eastwood westerns.

I only saw season one of Deadwood, and it was an amazing show. I wish it wasn't on HBO, then I might have watched more.

Has anyone seen Tombstone? Fantastic move. My favorite of all time--actually became a fan when I first saw it at the age of 12. It has an excellent cast as well.

I heard 3:10 to Yuma was good, but I never got to see it.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Sieglinde
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 4:34 pm

Tombstone is great! Especially Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday. I adore that character.

3:10 to Yuma: well, good, and Russell Crowe makes a very sympathetic bandit. It's not a masterwork, but a strong western. Tries to copy The Great Silence's end, fails.

I also like some modern westerns, like The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada. It's a simple, honest "man's movie". Absurd, bizarre and it has a black humor. Imagine Hemingway and García Márquez wrote a story together: it's like that. Antigone in our days.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 19 Nov , 2008 5:20 pm

Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday may have been better than the film itself. And the film was pretty good... but Kilmer was one of those roles that just sticks out that he nailed it so perfectly.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 1:59 am
Insolent Pup

Doc Holliday is one of the few roles that Val has done well. I love the scene when he and Johnny Ringo (I'm yer huckleberry) have the gun trick show off.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment”
Jump to: