board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

BluRay

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]
Lidless
Post subject: BluRay
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 10:22 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Well we waited and waited until the HD / BluRay war was won (as ever by the inferior), and for the next generation of BR players to come out on the market,

Forget the enhanced functionality - the picture is just staggering.

... no words. This post should have been written by a poet, to misquote one of my favourite movies..

[ img ]

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject: Re: BluRay
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 10:32 pm
b77 whipping boy

In no way was HD better than BluRay. HD was last generation, BluRay is next generation.

And yes, it is spectacular. I'm getting Wall*E today, and I can't wait.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Donernilwen
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 10:40 pm
B77's Crazy Christmas Elf

To get that great quality you need both an hdtv and the blueray dvd player, right? :shrug: I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this new dvd stuff...

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 10:59 pm
b77 whipping boy

Yes, you need both.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Donernilwen
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 11:04 pm
B77's Crazy Christmas Elf

Ah, okay. Thanks for answering that (probably) painfully obvious question. If thats the case, I won't be seeing any blueray dvds anytime soon. :P

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Thu 20 Nov , 2008 11:57 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Can you still get a BluRay disc if you only have a DVD player and idk what kind of tv? Or will it look like crap and not be compatible?

I'm with Don in the clueless section. :P Also I was just talking about this with my dad and am not used to seeing timely threads on b77 anymore haha.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 12:19 am
b77 whipping boy

no, DVDs use a red laser. BluRay uses a Blue one, hence the name. A DVD player cannot read a bluray disc.

A BluRay player can read a DVD, though, interestingly enough.

You can play BluRay discs on a BluRay player, without a high definition Television, but you will not get the HD quality picture. You do get most of the extras most BluRay discs can squeeze on there, though.

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 12:24 am

halplm wrote:
You do get most of the extras most BluRay discs can squeeze on there, though.
Like what? I'm not real familiar with HD or BluRay. I dated someone with an HDtv, and it was nice, but nothing worth spending lots of money on, IMO. Just curious what makes BluRay even better. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
halplm
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 12:33 am
b77 whipping boy

BluRay allows significant more space usage on a single disc. You can basically store 6 times as much an a BluRay disc than on a DVD. This allows the BluRay disc to not only store all of the information for high resolutions of films, but it allows them to store extra features like behind the scenes stuff, and outtakes and the like. DVDs could generally get high enough resolutions that normal TVs you can't tell the difference. However, on HDTVs, the higher resolutions make a significant difference.

Before I got a BluRay Player, the only HD that made much difference to me was sporting events, because most television isn't filmed in HD (although that is changing). Now, any film that was filmed at higher resolutions, looks better on my TV.

Here's an example. I got the BluRay release of Band of Brothers last week. The original 6 disc set, looked great, but had very little in the way of extra features, and they all went on a separate disc. In the BluRay set, they still have six discs (which surprised me), but the picture quality is remarkably better, and for each episode, they have an entirely new track of Picture-in-Picture video, where you get interviews with the original soldiers as the episode goes along. It's amazingly interesting, and basically shows how there's more than twice as much as there was before on each disc.

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 12:43 am

Thanks for the explanation. :)

I remember that the HD channels of most shows were a bit better, but not much different. The Discovery and Travel channel were much more impressive. At least those are the ones that stood out in my mind, since I don't watch sports much. ;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 5:37 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Thanks, hal! I knew there was something about BluRays that were compatible with DVDs, just couldn't remember what.

So hey, blueray player, welcome to the ol' xmas list.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 10:26 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Well, you all remember Steve's monster hdtv, yes?

The thing has pretty much been useless since we bought it, except for the few hd channels that we got in florida. Normally though, we would have to make the picture smaller when we put in a dvd because if we had the resolution to fill the entire screen, it would be all liney and pixelated. Steve was happy with that - he just wanted to have a massive picture. I, on the other hand, was more concerned with quality, not quantity, so I always made him scale down the picture. Now, with the bluray discs, we both can be happy. He's got the movie to fill the entire screen, however, it's completely crystal clear. We watched Sunshine on the TV last night, and it was stunning.

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Fri 21 Nov , 2008 3:26 pm

My tv makes a faint buzzing sound when it's on and I have a $30 (?) dvd player. HD and BluRay are way over my head. :blackeye: In fact, I sometimes still use the VCR Lidless and Estel sent me. :P

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment”
Jump to: