board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

I got tickets for Wagners Meistersinger

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Areanor
Post subject: I got tickets for Wagners Meistersinger
Posted: Sat 20 Dec , 2008 11:59 am
Sharpe-sighted

This is a start of a conversation I had with Jude about me getting some tickets. - I just copied and pasted, so it wouldn't get lost and I don't have to repeat things, as I will come back later and give out more info for Jude.....
Areanor wrote:
YAY! A letter arrived today saying that finally I got two tickets for Wagner's "Meistersinger" next year. Actually I wanted some tickets for the "Ring", but after waiting nine years, I'll take what I get.... And in row 11, too.
Jude wrote:
Areanor - is that the Bayreuth festival? And you have to wait nine years?

I guess there's no hope of me ever getting to see it, then. :bawl:
Well, Jude, the closer you live, the longer the wait... :Q That's why I ordered tickets in Jana's name for two or three years now in a row - next year I'll start ordering in Ida's name. I think my husband is due to get tickets for 2012....... the mean thing is that you shouldn't miss a year - if you do, the wait will be longer.

If you place an order from Canada, you're likely to get tickets rather soon, as the bureau is trying to fulfill orders from foreign countries in preference (talk about luring tourists into town). But ordering time for 2009 is long over - for 2010 you can order from September 09 on.

look here: http://www.bayreuther-festspiele.de/

Should you get tickets for Bayreuth some time, there's always a place for you at my house. (And you won't even have to share Sheera's basket.. :devil: )
Jude wrote:
Ara-anna wrote:
What's the Bayreuth festival precisous?
It's the festival of opera performances at the Bayreuth Opera House. It was built by Wagner to accommodate the special needs of his revolutionary music dramas.
Areanor wrote:
If you place an order from Canada, you're likely to get tickets rather soon, as the bureau is trying to fulfill orders from foreign countries in preference (talk about luring tourists into town). But ordering time for 2009 is long over - for 2010 you can order from September 09 on.
Well, that's a distinct possibility - if not for 2010, maybe for later. Do you know in advance what's playing, and who's singing, or do you just take whatever they send you?

And, if I order a couple of years in advance, and then find I'm unable to go, do they let you give the tickets to someone else? Even if they're local?
Areanor wrote:
Jude wrote:
Well, that's a distinct possibility - if not for 2010, maybe for later. Do you know in advance what's playing, and who's singing, or do you just take whatever they send you?

And, if I order a couple of years in advance, and then find I'm unable to go, do they let you give the tickets to someone else? Even if they're local?
so many questions....

you can order only one year in advance. deadline is mid-october.
Quote:
For first-time applicants:
If you are ordering tickets for the first time, we would ask you to apply in writing to the Box Office for order forms for the 2009 Festival by the end of September at the latest. The completed form should be returned to the Box Office by 16 October 2008.
For repeat orders: If you have ordered tickets in the past, you will automatically receive the order form by post. Please return the completed form for the 2009 Festival to the Box Office by 16 October 2008.
you'll get the order form and a programme by end of august. You can tick what opera you'd like to see (I said "Ring") and then have the possibility to give an alternative (there I said "Meistersinger") - well, I don't complain, you have to take the Ring-cycle complete and four operas in four days is a bit exhausting... but if I got tickets for the Ring-cycle, I would have gone to see only Rheingold and Walküre, giving Siegfried and Götterdämmerung to a friend of mine, saving those up for a later year.....

Which means - yes, you can give tickets away - they only don't like their tickets to be sold on the free market. And they get really mad if they see them somewhere like ebay.... They check passports randomly - "hey, on this ticket it says Jude from Canada, you don't look like you're from Canada" :) but usually they can't prove that someone purchased the ticket illegally. (some friend place their order via an aunt from the U.S. and always claim that they got the tickets as gift :) )

:poke: follow the link I gave above - you can see this year's cast - as the operas are the same the cast next year might stay, but usually they tell who'll be singing around march - when all tickets are safely sold. :D

Okay, could someone now please split these posts into a new thread?... :P
Jude wrote:
Areanor, I checked the link to Bayreuth. I think there were only one or two singers whose name I recognized. And the staging looks a bit... odd... :D

Let me know how Die Meistersinger is!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject: Re: I got tickets for Wagners Meistersinger
Posted: Mon 22 Dec , 2008 1:34 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Lovely music Areanor. Mind you, I once heard a piece by Hindemith on the radio. The title was something like
'The Flying Dutchman Overture as played by a spa orchestra after a night out'.

It was even better than the original. :D
I only heard it once and I wish they would play it again.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Mon 22 Dec , 2008 1:46 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

*is enormously Jealous*

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Areanor
Posted: Thu 25 Dec , 2008 3:15 am
Sharpe-sighted

Tosh, I googled that and out came this on amazon.com
Quote:
Paul Hindemith: Clarinet Quintet / Repertoire for Military Orchestra "Minimax" / Overture to the "Flying Dutchman" as Played at Sight by a Second-Rate Concert Orchestra at the Village Well at 7 O'Clock in the Morning
:Q 72 USD for one CD...

I'll ask around - I'm quite sure somebody here might have that - there's always one who owns such a piece, it sounds like fun.

what did I want to say... ah yes.

I actually have seen the Meistersinger - when it was my mum's turn to get her tickets we went to see it in 2001 - the last year Wolfgang Wagner did the directing. I loved it, it was really a traditional thing. Next year it will be his daughter Katharina's version and she's very modern, which I usually don't like. Well, we'll see.

When it was my dad's turn to get tickets I got to see the Flying Dutchman, that was back in 2005.

I might get tickets for some dress rehearsal, as a friend of mine is doing some statistry work up in "the house". He's one of those moving the dragon in Siegfried and he's wearing Wagner's paperboard head in the new Meistersinger, so I might be lucky. Last year I couldn't go because of my pregnancy and the year ago he called me to say I could get tickets for Siegfried about half an hour before it started - and I couldn't get a babysitter :bawl: . Well, maybe next year ;).

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment”
Jump to: