board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Academy Awards 2009

Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 79 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject: Re: Academy Awards 2009
Posted: Thu 29 Jan , 2009 9:34 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

I think this is news to me. Short, interesting read about how votes are tabulated:

http://www.variety.com/VR1117998897.html

It's probably easy for me to say that that doesn't seem right, not being a math perso, but geez. You should get points for being included in the five, but more points the higher you rank amongst 'em. :D Or thereabouts.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Mon 02 Feb , 2009 10:47 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Nominees for best animated short:

http://community.livejournal.com/ontd/96309.html#cutid1" target="_blank

If it's not viewable to the public, I'll get the URLs.

Another somewhat-Oscar-related goodie: Christian Bale having an absolute shitfit on the set of Terminator Salvation. Just an audio file, but not at all safe for work. At least we know he doesn't kiss his mother with that mouth.

I can't wait to get my computer back and upload this to itunes. :damnfunny:

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Tue 03 Feb , 2009 9:25 am
of Vinyamar

Not to be a killjoy, E*, but how does that end up on the web? Who on that production team wants to make everyone look bad? I guarantee the same shit happens on every set at some time or other. Tempers flare, people have a bad day, it happens. The time was when the people involved would keep it quiet cause it doesn't help anyone to air dirty laundry in public.

I suppose its the nature of what passes for entertainment reporting nowadays. You can pretty much guarantee this will turn up on Entertainment Weekly or somewhere, with a load of "bleeps" that disguise absolutely nothing (the worst kind of hypocricy). This was obviously recorded from the desk, since we're only hearing Bale clearly. I hope whoever was responsible for recording this was fired. Anyone is entitled to a blow-out every now and then. Just cause you're an actor doesn't mean you have no rights.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Donernilwen
Posted: Tue 03 Feb , 2009 6:43 pm
B77's Crazy Christmas Elf

I'm going to have to disagree there...If I did something like that and threw a tantrum at my job, I'd be fired in a snap. I don't really know anyone personally who wouldn't be fired either, for that matter.
Actors (generalisation coming!) are known for these kind of rediculous outbursts, but I don't think they should just be ignored. Kudos that Bale got called out on this one.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Tue 03 Feb , 2009 6:47 pm
of Vinyamar

Really? I wouldn't. I've never understood the whole American thing of people getting fired for pretty much anything. Here, workers are protected from at will firings by labour laws. And getting fired for a verbal tantrum? There'd be nobody left working...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Donernilwen
Posted: Tue 03 Feb , 2009 8:00 pm
B77's Crazy Christmas Elf

I dunno, I think it makes sense. If you are hired for a profession, its implied that you will act professionally in your work. Annnnd I don't really include tantrums in my view of the term "professional". *shrug*

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 03 Feb , 2009 8:46 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Alatar wrote:
And getting fired for a verbal tantrum? There'd be nobody left working...
Srsly? :Q

I've never thrown a verbal tantrum at work. Have you? :suspicious:

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Posted: Tue 03 Feb , 2009 8:52 pm

I have, but never when the manager is around and only when I was in the bathroom or a back hallway away from all bosses and clients/customers.

But.....

I respect how the lighting guy responded to Bale. :love: He's my new hero.

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Tue 03 Feb , 2009 10:25 pm
of Vinyamar

Marco wrote:
Alatar wrote:

I've never thrown a verbal tantrum at work. Have you? :suspicious:

I've had stand up shouting matches on occasion yeah. Once with my boss.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Tue 03 Feb , 2009 11:36 pm

Marco wrote:
Alatar wrote:
Gonna have to second that :Q . There's plenty of good reason why this should absolutely not be allowed in a professional work place, top reason that it makes the work place a very difficult and uncomfortable place to spend 40+ hours a week for the other workers. Maybe under extraordinary circumstances this could be forgiven but otherwise, hell no, I wouldn't and shouldn't expect this sort of thing to be at all tolerated at work.

[/ot]

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Posted: Wed 04 Feb , 2009 1:18 pm
Frodo's girl through and through

Alatar wrote:
Here, workers are protected from at will firings by labour laws.
Well, I'm all for that. :)
Quote:
But has a boss ever used such foul, aggressive language to you, Al? :suspicious: Because if a fellow employee, or my online manager, shouted at me so aggressively, and used such foul language, I'd be down to Human Resources in a flash to see what action could be taken. I wouldn't tolerate that kind of verbal abuse for one single second. And if I lost it like that at work, I would expect to get the book thrown at me.

I don't care who the hell Christian Bale thinks he is. No matter how frustrated he feels, he has no right to speak to anyone like that. :suspicious: That's a guy with a massive sense of self-entitlement, if you ask me.

Erm, off-topic too. :blackeye:

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Wed 04 Feb , 2009 2:19 pm

Alatar wrote:
Not to be a killjoy, E*
No joy has been killed: the recording is too hilarious for me to get offended at anything this nut says. I'm sure actors and their tyrannical directors behave like that from time to time, but outside of professions more likely to attract the drama queens, that didn't sound like the typical on-the-job spat to me. :P Not saying Christian Bale is unique in all the land of people with bad tempers who've had a crap day and are working with idiots! But he did get about four minutes to rant, which I doubt most work places would allow if someone DID feel it necessary to talk like that at that volume and with those kind of threats. I'm not saying Bale should be fired or blacklisted or even forced to issue an appology, but I do think he'll have to grow a sense of humor very soon when people start asking him about this. :devil:

For what it's worth: I've worked at my dad's on and off since I was a kid and have known most of those guys for twenty years, and even among sexist redneck construction workers... I've never heard a rant like Bale's lol.
Quote:
how does that end up on the web? Who on that production team wants to make everyone look bad?

I think the producers recorded it for insurance purposes in case Bale tried to leave the film. Not sure how it ended up online, though reports of the tiff came out last summer.

How does that make everyone look bad? Just asking for an explanation, not a defense btw. To me, it looks like Bale and the dummy cinematographer are the only ones in the spotlight here.

Peoples: "off topic" schmoff topic. If it gets y'all writing about movies, keep a postin'. ;) :D :grouphug:

Here's another goodie: I Heart Huckabees director flying off the handle. Glorious, glorious Hollywood. *salutes* (Don't worry, that guy and Christian Bale are the only ones I remember lol.)

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Wed 04 Feb , 2009 7:00 pm
of Vinyamar

No, Di, I probably wouldn't use language like that, but there might be a few "fucks" thrown in if it was particularly heated. Again, I suspect this is a very Irish thing. Language here is so common that there's really little vulgarity intended. I've been know to raise eyebrows at moots for this reason. ;)

Funnily enough I spent all day today at Cultural Diversity training, as we recently acquired an Indian company. It seems that things we take for granted, like questioning the boss, talking out of turn, ignoring the chain of command, will all be major No-No's in dealing with an Indian workforce. Irish workers tend to have a habit of ignoring process, if it means getting the job done. A lot of our interactions are handled with humour and sarcasm, or irony. And slagging each other off is considered "bonding". Self-deprecation is the order of the day. The bona fide expert on a subject would be more likely to say, "I'm not sure, but I think its like this" than to pontificate.

Also, there's a built-in, healthy lack of respect for authority. He may be your boss, but if he's wrong, he's gonna damn well hear about it. Not necessarily in the aforementioned shouting match, and not necessarily in public, but he'll be told.

And yet we still manage to get the job done, and have a great atmosphere at work most of the time. I think blowouts are a healthy release valve, and everyone knows it. If they become frequent, that's another problem.

Oh, and anything said to anyone on a night out is inadmissible! You can't be fired for telling your boss he's an arsehole at the Company Dinner Dance. That's just an unwritten rule. (Of course, it can make for an uncomfortable Monday morning....)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Wed 04 Feb , 2009 7:06 pm

Okay, one more tantrum link. Someone else remembered the Huckabees thing too. :damnfunny:

http://www.joblo.com/video/joblo/player ... -vs-tomlin

EDIT: Alatar, I don't think swearing and venting is the problem so much as the screaming and threats of violence and having to be physically held back by others on set. No one else was joining in, so I don't think it was meant to be viewed as a good ol' time or anything.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 04 Feb , 2009 7:33 pm

On this mornings Stephanie Miller talk radio show on Air America they had a call from somebody who works on that set. They said in no uncertain terms that the victim of the berating was a first class jerk who almost everybody hates and has been deserving something like this for a long time. They said that most people were very glad that somebody like Bale had the clout to do it.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Wed 04 Feb , 2009 8:29 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Thanks for the info about the other side of the situation sf. I was disheartened when I heard Bale's tirade as it seemed really OTT and outrageous. (And btw I'll third what Jude and yov said. I've never had a verbal fit at work, nor have I seen one.)

We just can't know what went on and I suppose it's not fair to present this one clip without knowing all the circumstances.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Wed 04 Feb , 2009 9:41 pm
Takoyaki is love

Whoa if someone like that talked to me I think I would cry and run away or maybe not (I did survive the criticism from rowing. :blackeye: ) I am on a public computer so I couldn't hear everything clearly but, it seemed like venting. I have heard of some minor outbursts at my workplace when someone who is supposed to work isn't working and giving everyone else more work. Me I tried to avoid outbursts by talking to management. but if you're a lead actor on a film I am sure one can get away with that. Especially if they did deserve some kind of wake up call when gentle reminding did not work (like with my roommate). Sometimes there is no way to be nice anymore. I have never heard this type of severity of outburst but maybe he had a bad day and that guy screwing up (possibly again) is the straw that broke the camels back. Also sometimes (and I think we all know it) certain people need to be fired. I have heard people on movie sets work very long hours. Also the recording seem sort of one sided. Didn't this guy (the victim) say anything back to Bale to defend himself? I can't really hear it clearly. I wonder who recorded it. Especially the threats of violence at the end, I would defend myself at least on that. :shrug:

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Thu 05 Feb , 2009 8:35 pm

Hey, Wilms. You can hear others in the background for sure, but I usually end up laughing too hard to pay much attention to them. The DP seemed dumbfounded, and may possibly just be a generally dumb guy anyway. ;)

I can understand someone getting angry (got a few twats in the family with the smashed furniture and walls to prove it), but considering what isn't even accepted here at b77, a social community, I think it's even less appropriate behavior for a professional workplace. So whether your incompetence or temper is holding up production and costing thousands of dollars... wake up, shut up, or piss off. :P (Or at least record yourself so as to give us a break from all the reports on Jessica Simpson's momjeans.)

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Thu 05 Feb , 2009 8:41 pm
Takoyaki is love

I rewatched the Huckabees one again (saw it a while ago) and I realize Lily Tomlin was trying to keep it together. Christian Bale was at least talking about the work and so was Lily Tomlin. The one I can see truly losing it was the director of the Huckabees movie. Maybe spending so long in development hell just makes you a little crazy. :shrug: The movies is one of those industries where most people have to work very hard and are under a lot of scrutiny also maybe their emotional attachment to some of their work just gets to them. It does seem at least with Christian Bale, Lily Tomlin and the Huckabees director (with that director trashing the set not too sure though) at least they cared about doing a good job, the lighting guy, I dunno about that. Especially if the lighting guy is the worst Bale has ever seen, that is saying a lot :shock: , he's done tons of movies.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Thu 05 Feb , 2009 8:47 pm

For what it's worth, the Huckabees director has had a shit reputation since at least '99 that I can recall. He attacked George Clooney on the set of Three Kings, and Clooney squeezed his hands over the guy's throat right back.

Too bad he didn't direct the 3:10 To Yuma remake - imagine the stories we could have gotten! David O. Russell directing, Christian Bale and Russell Crowe starring.... and they could have brought in Boy George to do the soundtrack! No one would be left alive.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 79 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: