board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

RotK ending cheesy?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]
Eruname
Post subject: RotK ending cheesy?
Posted: Mon 02 Mar , 2009 8:10 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

This probably won't get a lot of attention here as most who discussed the movies and books have left for other boards but I'm curious anyway. A former schoolmate of mine wrote this for a status update:

"xxxx is watching the cheesy ending of Return of the King. Do they have to make Frodo and Sam look at each other that way??"

I'm quite sure she's not a Tolkien fan so this peeved me a bit. I think the movie did the book justice in this instance. Tolkien wrote a deep bond between Frodo and Sam. Frodo had the Shire taken away from him and was living with a heavy burden. He was finally moving on and felt the weight lifted off him I think. So for him to look back with a genuine smile was not cheesy to me.

What do you think?

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject: Re: RotK ending cheesy?
Posted: Mon 02 Mar , 2009 8:33 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Is it possible she was referring to the reunion on the bed, rather than the scene at the Grey Havens? If so, I would say yes, the look between Frodo & Sam was of almost Tilsitesque cheesiness.

But I wouldn't say the same for the Grey Havens scene.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Mon 02 Mar , 2009 8:45 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I don't consider the bit at Gondor to be the end so that thought hadn't occurred to me.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Mon 02 Mar , 2009 9:33 pm
of Vinyamar

Personally I've always felt that the Grey Havens felt wrong. Having watched the extras I think I know why. It was one of the first scenes filmed. Bad miscalculation on PJ's part. After 3 years working together, they could have absolutely nailed that scene. Instead they "acted" it. And any actor will tell you, "feeling" is better than "acting" any day.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Mon 02 Mar , 2009 11:46 pm

I wouldn't say cheesy but a lot of the post-Mt. Doom stuff feels off to me and the Grey Havens is the worst for me. It is the only scene in the entire 10+ hours that I have ever felt bored by. I know many love it but a lot of the emotion during it rings a bit falsed/forced to me.

But not Sam. Never Sam. :love:

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Tue 03 Mar , 2009 12:12 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Erunáme wrote:
This probably won't get a lot of attention here as most who discussed the movies and books have left for other boards
I am happy to say that ever since Sharky mentioned a "view new posts" link, I rarely miss new threads in forums I wouldn't regularly check. :D

I accidentally thought of the hobbit hug-fest in Minas Tirith as the "end" you were referring to. Damn, I hate erasing things I've written haha. Anyway, my answer is hells no. Sam probably helps, as he made everything feel authentic. I always read Frodo's smile as one for all the hobbits, not just Sam. If my stomach doesn't tighten at any previous line, it does with the little nod he gives to them, like saying, "I'll be okay, guys." He couldn't smile until he stepped on the boat and once he did he already felt better, because it's where he's meant to go. Love it.

The only time one of them seemed "that way" was Sam's look at the end of FOTR, but it could be greatly colored by those spoof diaries that circulated back in the day, which I think went something like: "I am so getting laid." If there are cheesy reactions in LOTR, I found none at the Grey Havens. The only thing I don't like about that scene is the bad acting from Bilbo's size double as he walks onto the ship. Way to try and get in character there, bud. Oh, and where is Shadowfax, dammit. :pout: But yeah, nothing wrong with F+S.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Posted: Tue 03 Mar , 2009 1:36 am
Not so deep as a well

Quote:
Oh, and where is Shadowfax, dammit.
In the hold, with Gildor and Glorfindel. :D

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Tue 03 Mar , 2009 1:56 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

If only! At least those two were completely ignored, not built up as some great horse lord and bestest friend, only to be left behind, apparently wandering the morannon while Gandy jets off to bloody paradise. Hrmp!

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Elian
Posted: Tue 03 Mar , 2009 9:48 am
Let the dice fly.

Maybe Shadowfax got seasick. :P

I love all the cheese at the end of ROTK (pretty much all the post-Mt. Doom parts) because they make me giggle after several hours of being annoyed and shouting insults at the screen. :D

So yes, I find Frodo's final smile very cheesy, but I'll agree that it's not nearly as bad as the bed reunion.

What does it take
to stop getting carried away
by the force of my love...

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Tue 03 Mar , 2009 11:32 am

Elian wrote:
Maybe Shadowfax got seasick. :P
Inconceivable!

[ img ]

But yes, the bed reunion was barf. Rainbow colored barf. With chunks of cotton candy in it.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Posted: Sat 07 Mar , 2009 4:15 am
Trudging the road of happy destiny...

Alatar said:
Quote:
Having watched the extras I think I know why. It was one of the first scenes filmed. Bad miscalculation on PJ's part. After 3 years working together, they could have absolutely nailed that scene. Instead they "acted" it. And any actor will tell you, "feeling" is better than "acting" any day.
Yeah, and on top of that they also had to reshoot that scene 3 times b/c the first time Sean Astin forgot to put his undercoat back on when they took a break halfway through(which they didn't realize to after they'd shot it), and then after the second shoot was done they afterwards realized the camera had been out of focus. Hence the third shooting.

But I think the "cheesiness" is a combination of PJ and the actors not knowing the essence of the books enough.

Also, American society has grown cynical...which explains the description of things as "cheesy."

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 07 Mar , 2009 8:46 am
Aspiring to heresy

Legolas the elf wrote:
Also, American society has grown cynical...which explains the description of things as "cheesy."
:suspicious:

You do know that this is an international discussion, right?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Sat 07 Mar , 2009 9:39 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Well it's less cheesy than Wallace & Gromit - or almost any American restaurant main course.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 25 Mar , 2009 9:17 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Fine, Canadians can be cynical, too. :suspicious:

The bed reunion is painful to watch, and I can't help but snicker throughout the whole thing. I'm sorry. I have a dirty mind. :whistle:

The Grey Havens would probably have been better if filmed at the end of the movies rather than at the beginning. That's a good point, Alatar.

But I don't find that scene particularly cheesy. I do notice that Frodo has no color in his cheeks till he gets on the boat. That always stood out to me.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment”
Jump to: