board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Harry Potter and the Halfblood Prince movie

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Rebecca
Post subject: Harry Potter and the Halfblood Prince movie
Posted: Sat 07 Mar , 2009 3:17 am

I went to post that the latest trailer was out (squee! Ahem. I mean, here's the latest trailer: http://mugglenet.com/app/news/full_story/2214" target="_blank ), and realized we don't have a thread about it over here.

Lack of energy causes me to just copy and paste my post from HoF:
Rebecca wrote:
I just saw that the teaser trailer for this movie is online. You can see it here. I didn't see a thread anywhere for this movie, so I figured I'd start a new one rather than add to the 5th movie's thread.

I'm excited to watch it in November (HBP release date has since been moved to July 17th, 2009. ) when it comes out, but mostly just because I really like the books. Not a ton happens in book 6 that furthers the plot, not counting the ending of course. It's interesting to see Voldemort's past, but it's mostly backstory and isn't progressing the plot along much. (spoiler) Plus, I saw mention that they're cutting out a lot of the backstory that Harry witnesses through the Pensieve. (/spoiler) So I'm curious as to how this film will turn out.

There's a bunch of pictures up on http://mugglenet.com" target="_blank , too. Anyone have any thoughts on this movie or hear any other news about it?
So, thoughts? Hopes? Dreams? Oh wait, perhaps this is the wrong thread for that. But I'd like to hear your Harry Potter thoughts, hopes, dreams, etc. anyway.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject: Re: Harry Potter and the Halfblood Prince movie
Posted: Thu 09 Apr , 2009 6:58 pm
Wembley bound

Well I'm looking forward to it for a few reasons.

I like the books. Shocking!

I think the director has been the best yet in the series.

And spoiler:
Quote:
The story has a lot to do with Snape and Alan Rickman is my favorite actor so seeing him get more on-screen time (hopefully) will be brilliant.

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Posted: Thu 09 Apr , 2009 8:48 pm

Slughorn does not look like a walrus. :pout:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Posted: Tue 14 Apr , 2009 3:45 pm
Frodo's girl through and through

I tend to enjoy the films more than the books. :blackeye:

Although I do love Rowling's characters. :)

About the latest romp: as long as there's enough Snape and Draco, I'll be a happy bunny.

Oh, and suitably scary Inferi.

P.S. No, Slughorn does not look like a walrus. ;) Good casting choice though.

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Posted: Tue 14 Apr , 2009 4:54 pm

Di of Long Cleeve wrote:
:Q :nono:

I've never liked the movies. I've always loved the books. It's not because I'm a purist - I like the LotR movies, and anyway, at least the first HP movies are very true to the books. But they're not... the magic feeling is gone. They just don't feel right. And all the things I love the most about the books - the details, the dialogues, the complexity, all the hilarious little things, Rowling's language (obviously) - are gone.

And movie Dumbledore sucks big time. :thumbsdown
Di of Long Cleeve wrote:
Oh, and suitably scary Inferi.
From what I can see in the trailer, the Inferi looks like crap. :scratch: There's one shot where Harry (?) falls in the water and is surrounded by skeletons. I suppose that must be the Inferi. Inferi are not skeletons, they're dead bodies! And skeletons are not scary, either.

Edit:
Di of Long Cleeve wrote:
P.S. No, Slughorn does not look like a walrus. ;) Good casting choice though.
If he doesn't look like a walrus, it's not a good casting choice. :pout: But seriously, why on earth change the look of such a distinctive character? Slughorn's look is emphasized throughout the entire book. It's like dropping Dumbledore's beard. It just seems... totally unnecessary, and the story is worse off for it, Slughorn's look being both entertaining and emphasizing his character.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Tue 14 Apr , 2009 5:02 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

BRING! BACK! CEDRIC!!!

Just kidding, Rebecca, I'll come back later. ;) The Potter films have grown on me, though the last one was kind of forgetful. Still managed some great moments, plus I love Tonks and Luna. I'm not in a tizzy over HBP but will definitely be there.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
TWT
Posted: Tue 14 Apr , 2009 6:44 pm
Wembley bound

This is probably quite premature for this thread, but while looking up this movie on IMDB I noticed that they're splitting Deathly Hallows into 2 parts. Looks like one is slated for 2010 and the other 2011. Part one is listed as "filming" and part two is in "preproduction".

I'm gonna be upset if the wait between part 1 and 2 is lengthy. Thoughts?

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Posted: Tue 14 Apr , 2009 7:11 pm

Nienor SharkAttack wrote:
[ attachment ]
Dumbledore.jpg (40.71 KiB) Viewed 7451 times

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Tue 14 Apr , 2009 9:50 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Thank you! I've been looking for that. :P

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Posted: Tue 14 Apr , 2009 10:14 pm

Di of Long Cleeve wrote:
:Q :nono:
I like the books, a lot, Nienor, and defend JKR against her detractors, but I don't regard them as great literature. Too many plot holes, and it's all too easy to mock the Gryffindor=kewl versus Slytherin=eb0l thing throughout the whole series.

And Dumbledore is a machiavellian git.
Quote:
I've never liked the movies. I've always loved the books. It's not because I'm a purist - I like the LotR movies, and anyway, at least the first HP movies are very true to the books. But they're not... the magic feeling is gone. They just don't feel right. And all the things I love the most about the books - the details, the dialogues, the complexity, all the hilarious little things, Rowling's language (obviously) - are gone.
I think the later films capture something of Rowling's quirky spirit. The two first films are the weakest, IMO.
Quote:
I actually prefer him to Canon Dumbledore. *hides*

I also hate Dobby.

And Hagrid.

Sorry, I really am a terrible heretic when it comes to all things HP. :damnfunny:

I love Snape though. And Harry.
TWT wrote:
This is probably quite premature for this thread, but while looking up this movie on IMDB I noticed that they're splitting Deathly Hallows into 2 parts. Looks like one is slated for 2010 and the other 2011. Part one is listed as "filming" and part two is in "preproduction".

I'm gonna be upset if the wait between part 1 and 2 is lengthy. Thoughts?
It's going to be nine months. It was originally six months, but May 2011 is a lousy time to release a film, as Prince Caspian shows. Part 1 comes out November 2010 and Part Two in July 2011.

I think the idea completely blows, myself. There is just not enough material to justify DH being split into two parts! *grumble* I would have much preferred a one-shot treatment. It could have been awesome sauce.

The HP fandom is delighted, naturally, but I'm just seeing Christopher Columbus all over again. :roll: A ponderous, pedestrian adaptation. Meh.

For me, the HP franchise only got better once Alfonso Cuaron took the helm. And none of the films since match his style in PoA. Although I did really like OotP.

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Posted: Tue 14 Apr , 2009 10:42 pm

Di of Long Cleeve wrote:
I think the idea completely blows, myself. There is just not enough material to justify DH being split into two parts! *grumble* I would have much preferred a one-shot treatment. It could have been awesome sauce.
I agree. (And that must be about the only thing we agree on, but I don't have time to start arguing with you about the rest of your post right now. :P) The book is not that long, and the middle part of it consist mainly of the three of them moving around with their tent, which can easily be shortened down. Making it into two movies will also damage the (feel of the) climax, I think. And what is going to be the climax and big finale in the first part? :scratch:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Posted: Tue 14 Apr , 2009 11:19 pm

And what is going to be the climax and big finale in the first part? :scratch:
Exactly. :roll:

The general consensus seems to be that the first half will split at The Silver Doe -- in which case, there is not nearly enough material beforehand to fill a major two hour blockbuster film. :help:

Or after Dobby's burial. So Part Two could be the final day, the day that the Trio storm Gringotts, go off to Hogwarts, Battle of Hogwarts, etc etc etc.

Ending Part I with Dobby's burial is to me the lesser of two evils.

But it's still stretching the material mighty thin. Eek.

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Posted: Tue 14 Apr , 2009 11:29 pm

If you end the first movie with Dobby's funeral, I suppose Malfoy Manor could be the climax of Movie 1, if they... change it a bit. Make it bigger and longer and more dramatic. I'm quite sure they'd love to make the Battle of Hogwarts last an entire movie :roll:, so the suggestion that Part 2 will be the final day is not a bad one. But no matter what they do, like you say: stretching the material.

Wonder what they'll call the movies. If it'll be just DH Part 1 and 2, or if they'll make up their own names.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TWT
Posted: Wed 15 Apr , 2009 1:46 pm
Wembley bound

Yeah, I agree with you all. Two parts is stretching it one part too many... They're just milking us for money now, because they know we're all suckers and will go see them both.

I've been curious as to why there's often a big hate on for HP 1&2. I find that when adaptations aren't faithful to the source material then fans complain and next thing you know the director's in/mailbox is full of scathing letters. Yet Chris Columbus did a perfect adaptation of book to film on the first two and seems to have gotten the stinkeye for that. The first two books aren't terribly exciting, really was supposed to get young kids into it. I don't know what anyone expected from the movie...

But I digress...

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Wed 15 Apr , 2009 2:16 pm

I was about 18 when those came out, so most of the cast offered me nothing ~sexually~ until recent sequels.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Posted: Thu 16 Apr , 2009 11:28 am

TWT wrote:
Yeah, I agree with you all. Two parts is stretching it one part too many... They're just milking us for money now, because they know we're all suckers and will go see them both.
Yep. I am really quite worried about DH Part 1, because all the truly interesting stuff takes place in the second half of the story.
Quote:
I've been curious as to why there's often a big hate on for HP 1&2. I find that when adaptations aren't faithful to the source material then fans complain and next thing you know the director's in/mailbox is full of scathing letters. Yet Chris Columbus did a perfect adaptation of book to film on the first two and seems to have gotten the stinkeye for that.
I wouldn't say 'perfect'. 'Faithful' is not the same as 'perfect'. ;) Columbus's films are charming enough, I certainly don't hate them, but they lack the quirky and sometimes subversive element in the Potterverse.
Quote:
The first two books aren't terribly exciting, really was supposed to get young kids into it. I don't know what anyone expected from the movie...
But the hype was huge. HUGE. PS/SS was supposed to be a seminal fantasy film, based on this worldwide best-seller. And it isn't that, not really. It's a very charming, watchable family film but it's hardly earth-shattering.

Then the juggernaut of FotR arrived, a month later after PS/SS's release, and squashed all in its path. :D

Now that is a fantasy film. :cool:

A lot of people turned up for the second HP film, sure, but then found it was just more of the same. These were the same kinds of audiences that turned up for LotR: the night I saw CoS, there wasn't a kid in sight, this was with a whole bunch of young professionals who were seeing the film after a day at work.

Thereafter the numbers for the HP franchise dropped right off. Because while the HP fandom might like the first two films, the rest of the world wasn't quite so convinced, IMO. (Contrast that with the LotR films, which won over both the fans and the vast majority of the audience who weren't Tolkienites).

Cuaron's PoA revived the HP franchise. And Yates's OotP did extremely well at the box office, thus bringing the box office figures to their highest since PS/SS (they dropped hugely after the release of CoA).

Profile Quote
TWT
Posted: Fri 17 Apr , 2009 3:54 am
Wembley bound

I didn't mean to say they were perfect. I still think PS is one of the more magical (no pun intended) films I've ever seen. I'm really not trying to argue here but comparing HP and LotR is apples and oranges. HP takes place in our world, even if most of it is in a sector we're not quite aware of, whereas Rings is pure fantasy and much more epic than HP ever could have hoped to be...

CoS was ok imho. I didn't like the film adaptation of PoA much. I thought Cuaron's film oozed of his pompous full-of-himself style. It wasn't toatlly faithful. GoF was a step up though I can't say I was a big fan of the editing, or way it was put together. It cut out some pretty major scenes. I think OotP is the cream of the crop so far. I loved the book of course but I remember that not much happened in it actionwise. Yet the film was exciting! I'm glad Yates is doing HBP as well. I think he's the best so far. As for Chris Colombus, I just think that he gave exactly what the book gave. The concept for HP was ground breaking, the story and plot, not so much. So I think he delivered what he had to work with, and I think that if people found it boring, then they should re-read the book. He didn't exactly leave out the exciting bits. Although I didn't care for PoA, it was the first one that started the real plot for the Potter franchise so by default it was going to be better than the first two, material-wise that is...

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 17 Apr , 2009 3:01 pm

An alternate ending to the movie series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1XIm6q4r4" target="_blank

;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Posted: Fri 17 Apr , 2009 5:48 pm

Wow, new trailer out. And I'm almost ashamed to say that I think this looks very good. :oops:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Sun 19 Apr , 2009 2:42 am

New trailer with lots of new scenes. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: