your most disturbing movie

Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 42 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Jude
Post subject: Re: your most disturbing movie
Posted: Wed 01 Jul , 2009 7:42 pm
Aspiring to heresy

sauronsfinger wrote:
Jude ... I adore the Telletubbies....... seriously.
That would explain a lot =:)

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Sun 05 Jul , 2009 6:49 am
The best things in life are not things

My most disturbing film would have to be "Arachnophobia"...at least it would be, but I refuse to see it!

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Sun 05 Jul , 2009 2:15 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

:popcorn:

:weed:

:spider:

:peek:

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sun 05 Jul , 2009 2:40 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Welcome to b77, Nienna! :wave:

Apparently some scientists are advancing the theory that teletubbies are actually a mutant arachnid species...

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Sun 05 Jul , 2009 9:32 pm

:scarey:

(thanks for the welcome!)

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Mon 06 Jul , 2009 6:36 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Is this the Nienna, I have missed for many years?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Mon 06 Jul , 2009 8:48 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Ara-anna wrote:
Does W. count?
The wrestling scene in Borat.
Anything with Paris Hilton, cause she is just freaky looking.

I jest.
Joking or not, your choices mirrored some of my own. :P I haven't seen "W." yet but "Bowling For Columbine" still packs a punch. "Borat" was another flick that made me weep for America, to borrow an over-used phrase. Paris Hilton starred in "House of Wax" which is a favorite horror movie of mine, in part because it had a very conspicuous mean streak. I don't need torture and gore to enjoy this genre, but have sat through enough wimpy PG-13 cash-ins to last a lifetime, so it was nice to see something with metaphorical balls.

Of all time, I may pick "Dawn of the Dead" as the most disturbing film I've seen. It stayed with me for a long time after my first viewing and still hits certain buttons. I had previously just thought of zombies as a lame movie convention, for no reason really, but they weren't on my radar so must have seemed pretty dull. Then I watched DotD and suddenly they were my worst nightmares. Forget, for a moment, that their existence is usually attributed to science gone wrong, or even that they are often synonymous with an apocalypse, and all the stomach-sinking ideas that come from either of those cases. :P What you have is re-animated human tissue that shambles around only to eat the living. There's nothing else to them. They're stomachs with teeth and nails to rip you apart. And if you're bitten, you become one of them. It's not a conscious choice, that's just how it is. So it doesn't matter if your parent, sibling, best friend, or neighbor is bitten, once they turn, they will come after you and you have to decide whether to run away or kill them. What a jolly situation.

Zombies may be dismissed for slow speeds, but that's the catch imo. They don't have to be stronger or smarter as long as they out-number you, and since it's an easy 'disease' to spread, they usually will! Even if there were a hundred surrounding you and only needed a push to fall over, you'd get pretty tired pushing them all away... probably tired enough for at least one of them to reach out and grab ya. They'd only need that split-second to do it. And that's with bare hands - if you were using weapons or guns, there is physical energy as well as ammunition to run out of, and blades dull.

So already, it seems like a losing battle. Then DotD suggests to you that reason the dead are walking the earth is because there is no more room in hell. Fantastic! Not even God is on your side now. :P At least if aliens attacked, death would come quickly in the form of cool lazers or something. Zombies gang up on you to bite, tear, and pull. Hope you like agony!

More later, all of a sudden it's like eight hours past my bed time. :scared: Sigh.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Mon 06 Jul , 2009 12:25 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Carnival of the Dead.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Mon 06 Jul , 2009 2:39 pm

Sorry, Lidless, 'fraid not, but pleased to make your acquaintance anyway :)

~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
TheMary
Posted: Thu 09 Jul , 2009 4:25 am
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Equilibrium horrifying? Hardly, amazing gun moves hells yes and two hot men to wield the guns you bet. More like a wet dream....ohhh the premise horrifying, perhaps, but I hardly recall the premise :P

The Exorcist has always terrified me but I was raised Catholic and we are big on striking fear into the hearts of "men".

Elephant by Gus VanSant was haunting.

Event Horizon. It's not frickin' Sci-Fi it's horror I hate when they insist on filing it away as a nice space movie :rage: . I had to watch that bad boy in two parts, but then again back in the day I wasn't into scary movies.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 09 Jul , 2009 2:22 pm

The premise of "Equilibrium" is what creeped me out. A society where everyone was required by law to eliminate all emotions with drugs? A truely horrible concept. Blood, guts, gore on screen don't bother me much these days, but the thought of eliminating emotion from one's life is intolerable.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Thu 09 Jul , 2009 10:35 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

So Star Trek creeps you out, Maria. ;)

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 10 Jul , 2009 2:04 pm

The Vulcans suppress and control emotions without drugs, and it is their choice to do so. One can always run off and be a Romulan instead. :P To be required by law to inject oneself with a drug that paralyzes the best part of oneself without any escape available was a most disturbing concept.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Angbasdil
Posted: Sun 12 Jul , 2009 12:35 pm
The man, the myth, the monkey

vison wrote:
Manhunter, with William Peterson. I later saw about 5 minutes of Red Dragon, which is simply a remake of Manhunter, and it was equally ghastly. I still wish I'd never seen any of it.
There are very few books that I can read more than three times. Red Dragon is one of them. I am a huge fan - so much so that I still haven't forgiven Thomas Harris for that flaming pile of dogshit titled Hannibal. And I refuse to read or watch anything else he does until he remembers how to write and brings Will Graham out of retirement to hunt down and apprehend Hannibal Lecter. So I simply must correct this common misconception.

The film red Dragon was not a remake of Manhunter. It was a separate and more faithful adaptation of the book.

And I suppose that the film Hannibal disturbed me, despite having never seen it. I read the book and was disturbed that the author so blatantly cashed in by throwing away everything that made his earlier books great and went for the shock and gore factor. So I'm disturbed that the piece of shit even fucking exists.

[/rant]

*E*

A brilliant analysis of the zombie problem! DotD disturbed me also. Just the sense of being completely overwhelmed and helpless.
BTW, you have to read World War Z: an Oral History of the Zombie Wars by Max Brooks. It's probably the most innovative and original book 9of any genre) that I've read in years. And it's written by the son of the legendary Mel Brooks.
I really need to start a thread about it.

I also agree with TM about Event Horizon. Mrs. Ang calls it the most disturbing movie she's ever watched. The fact that we were expecting a scifi thriller didn't help either, but it 's the whole situation where you're not sure what's real and what isn't that gets me.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Fri 17 Jul , 2009 6:49 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

The Two Towers

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Mon 20 Jul , 2009 2:20 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Requiem for a Dream was the most disturbing movie I've ever seen. I was sort of in a daze by the end. Everything about it was just so, completely, absolutely WRONG.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Sun 26 Jul , 2009 8:29 pm
Takoyaki is love

I just wanted to say about the Vulcans I think they are bit different from Romulans even with emotions. I always got the feeling they were a bit manic when actually in an emotional state. (At least that is what was hinted from their history.) That is why they chose to repress their emotions because not doing so left the people in chaos and add telepathy into the mix and they seem like a recipe for a dark history.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Angbasdil
Posted: Sat 15 Aug , 2009 8:15 pm
The man, the myth, the monkey

District 9 is profoundly disturbing. I started a thread about it, so I won't repeat myself here except to tell you to go see this movie.

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Sat 15 Aug , 2009 10:24 pm
Best friends forever

Hey, Angbasdil. I never read any of the books you mention and never will. Red Dragon may have been more faithful, but it was the same story and I don't know why it's thought of as "entertainment".

Tastes vary, obviously.

During the summer of 1981 (I think it was 1981) a person named Olson rampaged through our part of the world kidnapping and then murdering 11 children. He did not just, you know, cleanly kill them. He was different from most murderous pedophiles in that he killed both boys and girls. Eventually he was caught and his wife was paid $100,000 by the authorities, a deal he made because he wanted to brag about what he did but was smart enough to make the deal, and then he took the cops to the places where the kids' bodies were.

Stories like that, whether made up or real, are not entertaining but dispiriting and sickening. I bet it's only a matter of time before someone makes a movie about this guy, like they did about Paul Bernardo. I have a very hard time thinking about people like Olson and Bernardo and Dahmer and Bundy, no novel or movie can possibly portray what a real serial killer is like. And I confess I am at a loss to imagine why anyone would read or watch even the imitations for fun.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Sun 16 Aug , 2009 11:21 am
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Vison, in my experience, people don't watch films like that for fun, or for entertainment factor, but because people love to be shocked, sickened and disgusted. It tickles an unconscious desire to live outside of the law and order in some people, a desire they may not even know they have, and probably won't act on, but that excites them in a small, probably harmless way when they see it happening on screen. We, by which I mean society in general, is constantly repressing what is seen as wrong, immoral, disgusting. So when it's perceived, as if it might be real, or better yet, as an imitation or re-enactment of what is real, it excites us.

Personally, the most disturbing film I've seen so far is 'The Devil Rides Out', made by Hammer Studios. Kick ass film, but totally disturbing if you're watching it alone in bed at 3 am...

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 42 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Jump to: