District 9

Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 53 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3
Estel
Post subject: Re: District 9
Posted: Sat 17 Oct , 2009 10:31 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

LalaithUrwen wrote:
I'm happy to do whatever rangerly thing needs to be done. Just need to know what people want. :)
For this thread, I guess it probably doesn't matter anymore as we most likely were the last place of anyone on the board to get the movie. However, this:

Quote:
we'd sort of agreed that spoilers don't need to be tagged so long after a film/tv show had been out
Just doesn't work. I'm sorry, but it doesn't. There are some tv shows that aren't shown on TV here until two years after it's been shown in the U.S. There are some movies that don't get shown for between 1 and 4 months after they've come out in the U.S. It's really not that much effort to hide spoilers, and considering how many posters on this board do live outside the U.S. in Europe and elsewhere, it would be really cool if that was considered the main guideline for this forum regarding spoilers.

If it could, in fact, be posted in this thread, that would be lovely.

I don't mean to be a bitch, but it really blows to go into a thread and read unlabeled and unhidden spoilers. This board has members all over the world, and to basically be excluded from an entire forum simply because you're not in the U.S. and don't know / can't tell whether a thread is going to contain spoilers or not... that seriously sucks.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 17 Oct , 2009 3:51 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Well, I tend to agree with you. I don't care about spoilers, because I like to be prepared before going to see a movie. But there are obviously many people who don't want them. It makes sense to make the effort to keep your posts spoiler-free. Even if you only put a bunch of empty spaces before your spoiler that would be enough. Taking the extra step to write your spoiler in white is even better. At the very least, if you are the originator of the thread and you plan to post spoilers in plain view, you could include that info in your thread title. That way anyone not wanting spoilers can avoid the thread and even start their own spoiler-free thread.

ETA: I added something here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2982

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Sat 17 Oct , 2009 5:13 pm

I don't generally see movies in the theater. So I just avoid threads about movies/tv shows that I haven't seen. I don't think it's fair to ask everyone to spoiler tag just because I haven't seen something yet.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Posted: Sat 17 Oct , 2009 5:31 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

Other than a movie that has a lot of pre-hype like LOTR, Harry Potter or Star Wars, there generally isn't too much discussion before movies/shows come out. Most discussion is post release. That isn't always the case, but it was for this movie as far as I know.

So when that is the case, people generally discuss the details of the movie. It would be next to impossible or the discussion would be very drab if the posts didn't contain details of the movie or show.
Frankly there wouldn't be much to discuss other than "I liked it" or "I hated it".

I'll be honest and say that there is no way I am going to spoiler tag anything, so if spoiler tags are the way we are going to go, then I won't bother with discussing.

I don't see any reason why we can't have threads with a "!!SPOILERS!!" in the title and discuss the movie/show.
I also don't see any reason why we can't have spoiler free threads.

Tags are not going to be fool proof, because not everyone has the same idea of what a spoiler is.

Other than a pre-hyped movie, I don't think I have ever read a thread before I have seen a movie or a show.
What would be the point?

I had heard nothing about District 9 before it was released. Maybe others did, but the fact is this thread was made after Ang saw it and that was what the thread was about. Discussing the movie post release.
How do you do that without spoilers?

I think a spoiler tag in the thread title would have solved the issue.

And I think the spoiler discussion posts should be moved to a new thread, so as not to clog up this one.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 17 Oct , 2009 5:53 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Well, guys, in case you didn't read what I wrote, I gave that as an option.
Quote:
If you are the originator of the thread and you plan to post spoilers in plain view, please include that info in your thread title. That way anyone not wanting spoilers can avoid the thread.

For all other threads, please take the time to conceal your spoilers and warn others before posting them. Even including many empty spaces before your spoiler would be enough, with a warning beforehand. Taking the extra step to write your spoiler in white is even better. (One way to do this is to create a quote box.)
Quote:

Like this. That way you are considerate of those who do not want to read spoilers.
I think that's a reasonable compromise. Those who just want to freely discuss things can go right ahead, and those who want to avoid spoilers can do that.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Sat 17 Oct , 2009 6:37 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

This thread didn't have the word "spoilers" in the title, and the review Ang gave was a really insightful, non-spoilery review. If the thread title doesn't have the word "spoilers" in it, it would be polite if posters would label or hide any spoilers they may choose to post in that thread. If the thread title *does* have the word spoilers in it, then not.

Critics write reviews of movies all the time without giving away spoilers. So do posters. People who haven't necessarily seen the movie, do like to read those reviews. I know Steve is a keen review reader before he goes to see a movie, for instance. Unless it's clearly labeled otherwise, a person reading isn't going to know about any spoilers in a review until it's too late.

Quote:
...there is no way I am going to spoiler tag anything, so if spoiler tags are the way we are going to go, then I won't bother with discussing
Actually, just forget it. I didn't realize that asking people to post one extra word (i.e. - spoilers) in a post would be so amazingly difficult. You just post your own way, and those of us who like reading (non-spoilery) reviews of movies can either deal with it, or leave this forum purely to those who live in America.

Enjoy.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Tue 20 Oct , 2009 4:46 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

I'm with Estel here. We were doing it in the Bleach thread years ago, because it was just obvious then that people were going to be at all different stages of a show which some were watching according to the Japanese releases, some according to the pirate releases, some when it came out on American TV, some when it came out on American DVD, and one when it came out on TV in Britain. I think it was never an issue there because it didn't come down to any kind of perceived cultural dominance. :shrug:

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Tue 20 Oct , 2009 5:53 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Holbytla wrote:
I'll be honest and say that there is no way I am going to spoiler tag anyething, so if spoiler tags are the way we are going to go, then I won't bother with discussing.
Wow. It's one of the most basic internet etiquettes.

Just because someone disagreed with Rebecca you don't have to go so over the top in your reaction, you know. She can handle herself in a dispute, I'm sure, just as Estel can! She's hating the fact I'm posting re this dispute with the perception that might engender.

Knee-jerk reactions at your age will just end up with a medical bill. :devil:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Posted: Wed 21 Oct , 2009 12:11 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

Lol. :D

Not that anyone is going to believe what I say, but we (Rebecca and I) don't exactly share the same views on this subject.
And I also note that this is far from the first time you have branded me guilty of something without the benefit of just asking me first and at least hearing my side of the story.

I do have to apologize for mis-speaking or having my head up my arse.

What I was trying to say is that I know me and I know I won't have any part of reading white text or bothering to spoilerize posts after a movie has been viewed and is being discussed. That is nothing but the truth. That is me. Wasn't meant to add weight to anything, just me speaking honestly.

I did say that there should be a place that should be spoiler free and also a place where people can discuss a movie/show without fear of ruining someone's future viewing.

This is not an American thing ( says the guy that meybe sees 2 movies a year before they are released on DVD), and honestly it is more about timing and opportunity. To classify it as an American thing is just seeing part of the picture. It annoys me that I get lumped in with people based on where I live and not on my lifestyle.

It annoys me to face a growing world of people telling me what I can and cannot do, based on someone else's ideology or circumstance.

I have no issue warning about spoliers, but at the same time I don't feel the need to pussy foot about discussing a movie post release.

As I previously stated (which went unnoticed) I believe that it is possible for both worlds to exist.

I can write !!SPOILER!1 as well as any. (I absolutely refuse to white text anything)

People can also realize what they are reading.

And you of all people should realize I sail my own ship. And that I have no interest stirring up things or coming to the defense of someone that certainly doesn't need it.

The fact is, I was the one that said to Rebecca to let it go (in person) and that it wasn't worth it.
I didn't come to her defence, but merely stated my own opinion. Which of course happened because she was reading the boards at the same time I was. What a surprise.

Honestly if we can't have a place to discuss a released movie (USA or wherever) then what is the point. As it is few people post and this will only lessen that draw.

Consider all of my posts in this forum to have a !!SPOILER!! tag.
Problem solved.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Thu 22 Oct , 2009 12:23 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Another one with Estel here.

Personally I like going into a thread about a movie I haven't seen in order to gauge whether it would be worth me going to see the movie...though I always do so with trepidation due to spoilers. Labelling is always appreciated especially for those who don't get the movies/TV shows until months after they're released in the US.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
RELStuart
Posted: Sun 01 Nov , 2009 3:01 am
Legendury speller

It did make me a bit upset that parents brought their little kids in the theater when this was out. It was a bit dark for that and I think I would have had nightmares had I seen this a little kid.

I liked the movie overall but not a 10 for me. There were no good people here. Only the selfish. And it is fair to show that since at times in real life that is all we see. But history is also full of people that went against the grain and were big enough where it really counts to live bigger than that.

"When people don't believe in you, you have to believe in yourself. "
Pierce Brosnan

"Please don't disillusion me. I haven't had breakfast yet." Card

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Wed 18 Nov , 2009 5:24 am
Takoyaki is love

Little kids? This movie is not for kids. Goodness, those poor kids are going to have nightmares.

As an adult I found several scenes, splatter movie inspired.

REL, I like how you point out that the characters are selfish which is a distinction from thinking these characters are "evil", which I really appreciate.

About spoilers, after discussing television or movies I always assume I am the only one who saw the latest episode/ release unless someone says so otherwise. I especially appreciated the Bleach thread and their spoiler tagging since although I got into the show significantly later I had fun back reading once I did start seeing the show.
With Dollhouse since it was so difficult to get anyone to even look at the show, a thread full of unwarned spoilers would not encourage new viewers or new discussion.

Never really considered spoiler tagging an issue and sensible since assuming everyone has seen it already is a large assumption (Especially with on going programs. Also I did not know movies came out that late in Gibralter. That is an entire season later. Kind of feel spoiled living in Canada)

If a person did not want to post in a different colour at least put some lines below the warning since, "spoilers: blah blah blah", does not give a person enough time to stop reading. (I have been through this before. By the time I realized the sentence I read was a spoiler, I read the spoiler.) I will say I have never ever been spoiled by a thread here (even threads threads full of effervescent fangirl/fanboy squeeing), so I think this board is pretty good on being spoiler sensitive.
Score!! I spelled effervescent correctly!!!!

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Fri 20 Nov , 2009 7:21 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Wilma wrote:
REL, I like how you point out that the characters are selfish
He meant to say shellfish.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 53 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3
Jump to: