broadway

5% [ 1 ]
classical

14% [ 3 ]
Total votes: 21
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject: Share your mix tapes!
Posted: Sat 29 Aug , 2009 2:26 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

I've had really good experiences trying out mixed tapes from communities on livejournal, so thought we could try a similar thread here, minus the novelty of having new entries each week because it's a much smaller crowd at b77. But please, whenever inspiration finds you, feel free to post! I miss talking music with ya's.

Just so we're clear: mix tapes are a collection of music, often with some kind of theme, but can also be entirely random. They usually feature several different artists, though it's okay to focus on just one if they have several albums to choose from. Variety is the key, whatever you end up doing.

If you've ever thrown some songs together for a friend, or made a playlist on itunes, you're already set. The only limits are to keep each mix between 10 and 20 songs, and under 80 minutes in length. Everything else is up to you. Want your mix to feature only non-English lyrics? Bands you've seen live? Stuff your aunt likes? Song titles with animals in them? Whatever you want. Go nuts. I've seen lots of music memes on blog sites, so there's no lack of ideas for these things. It doesn't have to appeal to anyone here, but if they end up liking it, they can report back and ask for an encore. :)

To make things a bit more fun, the people on LJ usually made album cover mock-ups of their mixes. So if you feel especially creative, play around with that too!

Side note: if songs should be played in a specific order, either number the song files or the tracklisting to reflect that.

How does one post their mixes online? Easily, unless I don't understand your computer programs. :blackeye: Just create a new folder to paste copies of the songs you intend to include in the mix. Once you've put your 10 - 19 files in there, find a site like sendspace, mediafire, yousendit, or megaupload. (I don't know if it would work adding to b77's server?) You can either register with them or just upload files for free. Once you've uploaded you mix, just paste the link in this thread so peeps can check it out. :cool: To save space and make for a faster upload/download, compress the folder into a zip or rar file before putting online. There are a few people here who should be able to walk you through it if you need further help.

Please don't include songs that are locked and unavailable to anyone trying to play them on a different computer. itunes purchases work like this.

I think that's about it, but if you have suggestions for reliable file-sharing sites (sites, mind, as opposed to programs - we're not pirating, we're just trying to enjoy music here), theme requests, etc., I'll update this post with the helpful information. Cheers. :)

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject: Re: Share your mix tapes!
Posted: Sat 29 Aug , 2009 2:28 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

I really love this mix I made for my brother a couple years ago. He never seems to play female musicians and is mildly embarrassed at loving Paramore so much, so I wanted to show off some of my favorite girl bands. These are mostly symphonic metal artists, with some alternative and industrial thrown in because I wanted to truly vouch for each track rather than just stick to a genre. But the metal gals were the inspiration and starting point.

It used to have "Intrinsic" by After Forever on there, but I've since fallen in love with "Trul" by Therion, and replaced Paramore's "Hallelujah" with "Decode" because it was a better fit with the mood of the other songs. So if anybody wants that link, just ask. But here is my preferred and perfected mix. ;)

[ img ]
download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?mq0h0tmo0zr

Track List:
[ img ]

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Sun 30 Aug , 2009 3:16 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Oooh, that looks like a great mix, *E*! :D Looking forward to listening to that. This is such a great idea for a thread. I am a huge fan of making mixes and playlists, because it's so damn easy to do on iTunes.

Here's a mix that I made for a party once, called Bertie Bott.

(OPTIONAL READ: For a backstory on the name of this mix, there's this type of party that's really popular at my school called a golf party. You have to get several different people to agree to host. Every house is called a "hole" and makes a shot. The partygoers gather at the first house, and then after about fifteen minutes someone calls "one...two...three...FORE" and everyone moves onto the next hole to have another shot. If there are a lot of holes, like nine or ten, par for each hole is one--that's how many drinks you take. If there are only a few holes, par is two. It's really fun to come up with creative and tasty shots. I had this fun idea to do "Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Shots", so I bought two different flavors of vodka and a bunch of cheap mixers, and made shots with random amounts of alcohol and different juices as mixers. So you wouldn't know what you were getting until you drank it. :D Anyway, that's why the playlist is called Bertie Bott.)

The mix is really random. It has some hip-hop, some pop country, some classic rock, some punk, and even one Ray Charles song. The only thing in common is that, obviously, it's all music that I like. There's no special order to it. It used to be like 28 songs but I pared some off in order to meet the cutoff. And, in accordance with the spirit of the playlist, it was pretty random which songs I chose to remove. ;)

Apologies that the file appears to be HUGE, despite the fact that I did try to zip it. :( Also, the zip file seems to have placed the songs in alphabetical order, so it won't be the same order as it shows on the playlist. But, again, that also seems to be in the Bertie Bott spirit. You don't know what song you're going to hear until you hear it.

[ img ]
download link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NXE04E4Y

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Sun 30 Aug , 2009 2:27 pm

:w00t: !!!

ngl, I am particularly excited to try out anything you recommend. I never harassed you for music like I have with others lol, but from your posts in this forum as well as threads about clubbing, I figured there's gotta be some hidden gems or common faves. :cool:

And looking at the tracklist, I'm all aquiver with anticipation. Fab stuff! I only have a couple of those songs and either like or wanted to check out most every other artist. Especially Guster because when my brothers and I were walking around Toronto last year, they were recording some show at Much Music so we were all smushed against the windows trying to watch lmao. We didn't know them, but hey, there were tv cameras. :D I still haven't played any of their albums yet, d'oh.

Golf parties sound awesome btw. I had no problems downloading the file! Only took about four minutes. Which is one reason I can click on links like I throw back popcorn kernels, man: it's easy and fun. :scared: :blackeye:

Happy listening with the gals I posted. Most of them are my top artists on last.fm, a couple of the bands only have one or two standout songs but are definitely a style I gravitate towards, and then Therion is usually headed by male vocals but I guess they got a studio musician for "Trul" and whoever she is was perfect.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Sun 30 Aug , 2009 4:47 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

This is an awesome mix! Loving it. :love: :cheers: I love girl rock, it always makes me feel so awesome. Some of these bands I know from people on the boards---Elfy loves Evanescence, and I know Lacuna Coil from Rune. Circa Survive and Veruca Salt are also bands that I've definitely heard of, so it's great to listen to some of their stuff.

Most of the clubbing-type music I listen to is stuff I've just randomly heard from someone else, so I don't have a huge collection of it. Most of my iTunes is filled with alternative and classic rock. But I can highly, highly recommend this song. It's a Tiesto remix of "Back In Your Head" by Tegan and Sara (who are Canadian!). I can't get enough of this song, and I've been listening to it for two years. Here's a link to download --> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OHBVFHBW

Profile Quote
Donernilwen
Posted: Wed 02 Sep , 2009 6:43 am
B77's Crazy Christmas Elf

Here is one I made for this thread out of songs that make me feel....

[ img ]

:P

Anyways, here is the link and list of songs included.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HL64HXSW

[ img ]

Originally I had about double the number of songs. :P So I chopped the list down to these. I hope they mesh, but its so butchered right now I'm kinda feeling blah about the list. :( Its not as perfect as I was hoping it'd be, but oh wells. Let me know what you think.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Tue 22 Sep , 2009 10:47 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Don, you might be the one to answer my Burning Question Of The Summer. Metric... er... are they big? :oops: I sort of... watched them in passing this summer. I enjoyed their set a lot. :blackeye:

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment”
Jump to: