The Last Homely Site on the Web

Little Known Music Loves - Tell Me Yours

Post Reply   Page 1 of 5  [ 98 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
Estel
Post subject: Little Known Music Loves - Tell Me Yours
Posted: Mon 14 Apr , 2008 12:37 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

I've been feeling a bit stagnant for a few months not being able to talk about music with anyone. I don't know about the rest of you, but the way I've always discovered new artists/bands/etc is more through word of mouth than anything else. Hearing something off the TV or the radio is good. Hearing some song in the background of a TV show, movie or a really good commercial (Richard Bruckner's song in that old VW Touareg Commercial, or the Nick Drake song in the other VW Golf commercial anyone?) is better. Finding something through a random link that showed up in a search for something else is wonderful. But best of all are the little artists, the locals or not so locals that you find out about through a friend, or a friend of a friend. The discoveries made and treasured, but not often enough shared.

So, my goal for this thread - tell me your little known loves, but not only that - I don't just want a random list of artists - link me to them. A website, a YouTube video, a myspace page - something where the rest of us can actually hear the artist you're talking about. Tell me about them - why has this particular artist become one of your loves.

It doesn't matter what kind of genre it is - let's share some music!

Last edited by Estel on Mon 14 Apr , 2008 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Apr , 2008 12:43 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

I suppose I should start off since I'm bugging you all about it ;)

I've had a thing for over a year for an artist named Mila Drumke. I came across her on YouTube when I was trying to find a cover version of This Woman's Work by Kate Bush, and from minute one, I loved the passion and honesty in her voice. She seemed to have no care for sound so long as the emotion came out, and it made the music even more beautiful. I've found out since then that she did a song called "Someone" for a movie I've actually seen called "Go Fish."

Mila has had an album come out, which was well reviewed, but I have yet to hear her on TV or radio. That really surprises me, as she is just brilliant, but perhaps my tastes are just odd. Her official site is here and if you look under "Sounds" you can hear a whole bunch of her stuff :)

Lullaby is absolutely gorgeous; The vulnerable tone to her voice in California actually makes my heart clench a bit; and How Deep is the Ocean is heartbreaking - hell, the whole Radiate album is heartbreaking especially when put in the context of her sisters death.

Anyway - that's the first artist I'm talking about in this thread. What do you think of her?

Tell me about the music that's been getting you going ;)

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Apr , 2008 1:16 am

Anya Marina.

I heard her perform on What do ya know? (An NPR radio 'quiz' show) and I've loved her ever since.

I can't find her CD though, or I would own probably 5 copies of it. :love: [/i]

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Apr , 2008 5:17 am
wencherific

I don't know how little known she would really be, nor is she hardly local, but it was a random find through a friend who was searching and buying random downloads on an MP3 site.

Anywho, said artist would be Azam Ali ( <---myspace page link there). I originally heard her with the group VAS which is what my friend had downloaded. Then a couple years later I stumbled across a song by the lead vocalist, Azam, on a gothic/underground compilation cd I nabbed from Hot Topic (Asleep By Dawn's Dancing in the Dark 2006) and decided to investigate her more.

Iranian born, now living in the US. She does the kind of warm, rich, middle eastern flavoured ethereal music. Or is simply tossed under the 'world' category. I got her second solo album, Elysium for the Brave, for my birthday this past year and intend to nab her first when I can. Have one complete by VAS as well titled In the Garden of Souls. She does work with another group as well called Niyaz which I need to look into more.

A couple of my favorites by her are there on the myspace profile.... Endless Reverie and Spring Arrives.

Perfect music for sitting in a purely candle lit room, relaxing. Meditation, if you will.

:love::love::love:

[ img ]

"Morning has broken and I have felt a presence that disturbs
me with the joy of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime of
something far more deeply interfused, whose dwelling is the
light of setting suns, and the round ocean and the living air,
and the blue sky, and in the mind of man; a motion and a
spirit, that impels." -Wordsworth

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Apr , 2008 10:12 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Dawnnamira wrote:

I can't find her CD though, or I would own probably 5 copies of it. :love:
http://www.anyamarina.com/music.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Miss-Halfway-Anya ... 10?ie=UTF8

Profile Quote
Estel Dúnadan
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Apr , 2008 11:07 am
Revenge of the Salmon

My favourite is the Tale of Tinúviel. I've no idea where to link to it, though there is music of it over here.

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Apr , 2008 10:18 pm

Stellie.........now I have to decide how much I really want food for the rest of the month. :neutral:

:Wooper:

Profile Quote
Lily Rose
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Apr , 2008 1:52 am
stranded in dreamland

Aw, who needs food if you've got great music?;)

Anyway, I've been going through my 4000+ song collection. I have aplenty of obscure artists, but nothing along the lines of what has been posted here, or might even remotely appeal to anyone other than another extreme nerd.

My newest loves are Delain and The Dreamside, both of which I discovered on last.fm, and I am pretty certain that I found both of them on Rune's profile. :oops:

I don't have faith in faith
I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Apr , 2008 2:13 am

The best song of 2007:

LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends

Not just IMO either. It was high on numerous critic lists too. :)

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Apr , 2008 4:11 am
wencherific

Lily wrote:
My newest loves are Delain and The Dreamside, both of which I discovered on last.fm, and I am pretty certain that I found both of them on Rune's profile. :oops:
:D:D:D

Are you calling me an extreme nerd then? :P Delain and The Dreamside are indeed both frequented artists of mine. ;) Can't remember where precisely I found Delain, but anything that involves Sharon den Adel from Within Temptation, Marco from Nightwish, and Liv Kristine from Leaves' Eyes must have some element of greatness. ;) Delain's lead herself has quite a nice voice, though I can't recall her name. And actually I'm not even particularly fond of Marco's bits in some of the songs, but still found it awesome that all of them were working together.

The Dreamside I also first picked up on from one of the Asleep by Dawn compilations. Ever stray across those before, Lily? I find them a great place for finding new bands. And of music in general, ever hear of this site? www.isotank.com ooooooor.... this one? www.soniccathedral.com

It has our kind of stuff.:D I knew you were a kindred soul when you had that Amy Brown faerie bag with you at the Florida m00t. :P And I think you might've worn a Nightwish shirt one day too, another indicator. ;)

[ img ]

"Morning has broken and I have felt a presence that disturbs
me with the joy of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime of
something far more deeply interfused, whose dwelling is the
light of setting suns, and the round ocean and the living air,
and the blue sky, and in the mind of man; a motion and a
spirit, that impels." -Wordsworth

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Apr , 2008 9:31 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Silly Lily - I'm not saying tell us music you love that you think will appeal to other people - just tell us music that you love :hug:

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Apr , 2008 3:30 pm
Daydream Believer

Alison Krauss and Robert Plant's Raising Sand. There are two songs Trampled Rose and Killing the Blues that I really like. Killing the Blues is used in a JC Penny Commerical right now. Strange paring between Krauss and Plant, folk country and old rock, but it seems to work. I heard them on NPR a long time ago and thought whoa cool.

I also love Mindy Smith, she has such a clear voice and I just love listening to her. This song was written to her mom after her mothers death
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzu3Ihyq50c

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Lily Rose
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 Apr , 2008 2:35 am
stranded in dreamland

Amrunelen wrote:

:D:D:D

Are you calling me an extreme nerd then? :P
Yes, I am.:D
Ain't it great?

I will definitely check out both of the websites that you mentioned. It is about time that there was something out there for those of us who want to listen to something a little bit different.

I have been listening to a lot of Blutengel and Inkubus Sukkubus recently. Techno-goth really isn't my thing, but sometimes, I get in the mood for it.

Ara, I am not a fan of country by any stretch of the imagination, however, I have like everything that I have heard so far from the Plant-Krauss pairing. Maybe I like it because it is such an incongruous match.:)

I don't have faith in faith
I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Apr , 2008 6:09 am
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

I'm really digging HIM (I blame my boyfriend) they are kind of emo and the lyrics seemed kind of cheesy at first but Ville Vallo is teh hottness and I love them now. They have a really pimp cover of Blue Oyster Cults "Don't Fear the Reaper" Don't Fear the Reaper Cover it's not the actual video for the song but it's a hot montage of Ville pics instead :love:. As for the best album my boyfriend will tell you it's Dark Light, at first I wasn't convinced liking their Greatest Hits the best but he was right Dark Light is their best album.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Apr , 2008 2:23 pm
Daydream Believer

I don't listen to Don't Fear the Reaper. Every time it comes on I get in a car wreck. True story. First car wreck was 17 years ago, it was playing. Second car wreck 6 years ago it was playing. I like the song, but the whole thing gives me the willies when I am in the car. I've even turned the station when I am a passenger. Once is a coincendence, twice is the universe telling me something.

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 Apr , 2008 10:46 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Dang Ara! You are not allowed to click the link above then :Q

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Apr , 2008 12:18 am

That is quite the story Ara. I think I'd err on the side of caution if that happened to me, so I don't blame you. :hug:

I've (sadly) discovered that a couple of the (way) lesser-known bands I've been listening to for months have worked their way onto commercial stations. I'm happy for them, but whenever it happens I can't help but feel sad that now other people that I (probably) don't like are listening to them.

I'm weird, I know. :Wooper:

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Apr , 2008 8:39 pm
Daydream Believer

Dawnnamira,

Yeah I always turn it off in the car, my kids laugh at me for doing so. But hey why tempt fate.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Apr , 2008 11:51 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Strangely enough, the incidental music for the latest few series of Doctor Who - all original pieces: from the motifs for Rose (first half of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7GEuLnaACU - quite reminiscent of Howard Shore) and Martha, to the more exciting pieces such as Sound Of Drums ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi-mC9VIKmg ).

The excitment and energy of the latter I find unparalleled on any TV show. (To see it in constant, it kicks in about 3:20 into http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_AL_7hMLag ).

If there were an Emmy / Bafta for incidental music - this would win hands down.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 26 Apr , 2008 3:25 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

I thought I was the only one...

Is there a recording of the Dr. Who music available for purchase, do you know? ( I love the theme as well.)

My little known (in most circles) music love is Donncha Dennehy, a contemporary Irish composer.

An arrangement by him of a traditional Irish song

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 5  [ 98 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: