Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject: Re: 20 pieces of music that changed the world
Posted: Sun 08 Nov , 2009 7:49 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

I liked the list but I was kind of surprised by the Beatle's selection.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sun 08 Nov , 2009 8:15 pm

Where is Bruce and BORN TO RUN? The guy certainly changed the way music is presented in concert format for the last thirty years. Performers used to give you a set that lasted maybe an hour if you were lucky. Then Springsteen came along and made the 3 hour set what people came to expect. Outside of the talentless pop acts that come and go today, nobody would think of doing 50 minutes and waving goodbye today

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Posted: Sun 08 Nov , 2009 9:36 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

Bruce was, like many artists, a copy.
And I thank God he was not on the list.

And I hope never to see him on any list other than most over played for no apparent reason.

Pee Wee said it best as the Hamburger Dude in Nice Dreams.
sauronsfinger wrote:
.... Outside of the talentless pop acts that come and go today, nobody would think of doing 50 minutes and waving goodbye today
Back in the day, the Beatles use to do 30 minute sets.

Last edited by Holbytla on Sun 08 Nov , 2009 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Sun 08 Nov , 2009 9:37 pm
The best things in life are not things

Wonder what #18-20 are... :scratch:

Surely Michael Jackson's Thriller should be on the list somewhere? :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/ja ... k.culture1

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Sun 08 Nov , 2009 11:39 pm
Daydream Believer

I will Survive is on the list. Amazing.
:cheers:

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Sun 08 Nov , 2009 11:42 pm
Best friends forever

"Thriller" might be on the list, but this is a radio list, remember. So visuals aren't really in the running. It is also a very idiosyncratic and personal list. I don't know anything about opera or classical music so can't really say much about his choices there. But I do know that number ONE, Elvis Presley's recording of That's Allright, Mama is beyond doubt the greatest single recording ever made. :D

I also agree with his choice of Will the Circle be Unbroken by the Carter Family. I listen to the original Carter family all the time, and while "Circle" isn't my favourite by any means, it is certainly on my list. That is American Roots Music, with a vengeance. Actually, Elvis crossed into that himself. But nothing he recorded after he left Sun records matters a pinch of you-know-what to me.

I also never "got" Bruce Springsteen. He only made one recording that I like and it won't be on that list, I'm pretty sure.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sun 08 Nov , 2009 11:44 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Even though it's not well-known today, Auber's La Muette de Portici caused a political revolution.

And Verdi's music became the rallying cry for Italians to unite and get independence from Austria.

And Monteverdi practically invented modern music singlehandedly. Without Monteverdi, there would have been no Beatles.

I've noticed that whenever someone compiles one of these lists, they always seem to be disproportionately 20'th-centure-centric. :P

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Sun 08 Nov , 2009 11:59 pm
Best friends forever

Jude wrote:
Even though it's not well-known today, Auber's La Muette de Portici caused a political revolution.

And Verdi's music became the rallying cry for Italians to unite and get independence from Austria.

And Monteverdi practically invented modern music singlehandedly. Without Monteverdi, there would have been no Beatles.

I've noticed that whenever someone compiles one of these lists, they always seem to be disproportionately 20'th-centure-centric. :P
It is a personal list. The guy compiling it had a radio show on CBC for years. He's very good at what he did/does, and I like the way he explains his choices. I also got tears in my eyes listening to the "first million seller". Have you listened to it?

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Mon 09 Nov , 2009 12:01 am
Daydream Believer

Jude wrote:

Jude

I was thinking the same thing. Not nearly enough Classical, too much new stuff.

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Mon 09 Nov , 2009 12:01 am

If we're talking about earth-shattering developments in classical music, then I would say Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier should definitely be on there...

The Well-Tempered Clavier demonstrates the ability of a single instrument in tempered tuning to play in all 24 keys without having to be tuned to new fundamentals. It was not the first pantonal (using all keys) composition, but it was by far the most influential, establishing a tuning requirement for harmonies which became the basis for all Western music developed through the early 20th century.

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Mon 09 Nov , 2009 12:11 am
Best friends forever

I think you guys are overreaching the intent of the list. It is not Gospel, and is one man's personal opinion.

I think another thing: he includes "peoples' music", in other words, the kind of music that millions of ordinary people have listened to for centuries. What used to be called "folk music". Classical music is important to people for whom classical music is important, but it is not what common people heard for most of history. They heard music in church, or in their homes. That was it.

While opera and concerts were madly popular in the cities, most village-dwelling peasants would never have heard it. They would have heard only the simple music of their local churches, and before the organ became common, village "bands" or "quires" would provide it. The organ, and its catalogue of Bach, etc., became popular only when the village musicians were silenced. Or rather, when people decided they wanted to be "modern" and not listen to their own fellows any more.

If you ever hear the oldest carols, you will hear some of the sorts of songs people heard. They came across the ocean with the settlers, and morphed into what is called "roots" music now. Which became: rock and roll and/or country music.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Mon 09 Nov , 2009 12:22 am
Daydream Believer

I got to say that forth one is amazing...simply amazing. :cheers:

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Mon 09 Nov , 2009 12:28 am
Best friends forever

Ara-anna wrote:
I got to say that forth one is amazing...simply amazing. :cheers:
I know. It had me weeping. Not just for the emotions evoked by the music, but by the whole thing. And what it meant. For the FIRST time in history, people could have music whenever they wanted. They didn't have to GO anywhere.

That changed the world, for sure.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Mon 09 Nov , 2009 12:30 am
Daydream Believer

I don't know if I would ever pay $300 for a CD. ;)

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Mon 09 Nov , 2009 12:38 am
Best friends forever

Ara-anna wrote:
I don't know if I would ever pay $300 for a CD. ;)
No, I don't know if I would, either. But think what it meant in those days! I was talking to my Mum today and she said one thing about the early phonograph was, you didn't need electricity. She grew up without electricity, but they had a windup phonograph. She still has one, and a few old records. Some of those records are the ones my nephew was supposed to put on a CD for her, if he could find those recordings on line.

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Mon 09 Nov , 2009 7:13 am

I would have to agree with #12...a lot of Wagner's music is "unbearably beautiful" - it can move you to a state of utter transcendence (and Isolde's Liebestod is the one of the most orgasmic pieces of music you're ever likely to hear ;) )

~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Mon 09 Nov , 2009 2:49 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Quote:
I was about to say, surely L'Orfeo should be on there? :scratch: Or at least one of the books of madrigals!
Quote:
I think another thing: he includes "peoples' music", in other words, the kind of music that millions of ordinary people have listened to for centuries. What used to be called "folk music". Classical music is important to people for whom classical music is important, but it is not what common people heard for most of history. They heard music in church, or in their homes. That was it.
In fact, Monteverdi, Gesualdo et all wrote madrigals that wold often hae simply been sung by groups of 3-8 people whenever they felt like it. They were printed in individual part books so that singers could sit around a table at home or wherever and sing for themselves. The common people, if you like.

Similarly, in England, Locke and Purcell etc. wrote books of catches, very short musical ideas that were intended to be sung at parties or at home, by anyone who could get their hands on them. The view of so-called "classical" music as music that was only for city people and the aristocracy is very recent.

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 09 Nov , 2009 3:14 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Ugh! I can't listen to this stuff. People talking on the radio drive me absolutely WILD! :bang: Just SHUT UP and play the music!

(I'm sorry. It really does make me insane. :( )

I want to hear the First Million Dollar Seller, but all they are doing is TALKING.

But, for the record, I can't stand Bruce Springsteen, so I'm not sad he's not on the list.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Mon 09 Nov , 2009 5:24 pm
Best friends forever

Crucifer wrote:
Quote:
I was about to say, surely L'Orfeo should be on there? :scratch: Or at least one of the books of madrigals!
Quote:
In fact, Monteverdi, Gesualdo et all wrote madrigals that wold often hae simply been sung by groups of 3-8 people whenever they felt like it. They were printed in individual part books so that singers could sit around a table at home or wherever and sing for themselves. The common people, if you like.

Similarly, in England, Locke and Purcell etc. wrote books of catches, very short musical ideas that were intended to be sung at parties or at home, by anyone who could get their hands on them. The view of so-called "classical" music as music that was only for city people and the aristocracy is very recent.
For those who could read, yes, but I'm talking about the vast majority of people in those days: rural agricultural workers who had generally little music beyond the church and the old folk songs. Non-literate people had to be taught those songs written by Locke and Purcell by people who could read. I doubt that anyone nowadays can really imagine how isolated and beauty-lacking rural lives were.

My remark was "generalized". But my point is, that the music people listened to over the centuries was what became "folk music" later on. The song Barbara Allen, to use the most common example, is still sung and how old is it? The Eriskay Love Song is believed to be one of the very oldest songs in Europe. Those songs came over the ocean to North America, and so did the folk music of other nations. Slaves brought their music.

Music people often sneer at folk music, I find. Music people sneer at popular music in general. I think that if something is beautiful and moving it is beautiful and moving. Literary people sneer at A. E. Housman's lyric poetry, but I don't. Simple and incredibly beautiful and moving, but some people think all rhyming poetry is, um, childish crap. If you can understand it? It's crap.

When I said above that Elvis Presley's recording of That's All Right, Mama is the greatest recording ever made, I'm not joking. I daresay other people will choose a different song and almost certainly it won't be a "rock and roll" song. But that recording was important for all the reasons the radio presenter gave. I agree with the presenter. But I loved that song since I first heard it. It is sublime, in fact. The reasons I say so are manifold and too long to go into here, but one of the reasons is Elvis himself. I wasn't an Elvis fan when I was a child, and I was a child in 1954. I didn't hear that song until I was in my 20's, believe it or not. And by then, Elvis was ruined. That lovely boy, that brilliant boy, that bridge between how many worlds?

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 48 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Jump to: