board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

TV Guide Names the Top Cult Shows Ever

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]
MariaHobbit
Post subject: TV Guide Names the Top Cult Shows Ever
Posted: Wed 18 Nov , 2009 8:16 pm

http://www.tvguide.com/news/top-cult-shows-40239.aspx
Sure, it's a couple of years old, as a list- but I was surprised how many of these shows I still haven't seen.

30) Strangers with Candy (1999-2000)*
29) Absolutely Fabulous (1994-2003)
28) Stargate SG-1 (1997-2007)*
27) H.R. Pufnstuf (1969-1971)
26) Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman (1975-1978)
25) Firefly (2002-2003)*
24) Twin Peaks (1990-1991)
23) Dark Shadows (1966-1971)
22) Doctor Who (1963-present)
21) Freaks and Geeks (1999-2000)

20) The Avengers (1966-1969)
19) Quantum Leap (1989-1993)
18) Veronica Mars (2004-2007)*
17) Beauty and the Beast (1987-1990)
16) Babylon 5 (1994-1998)
15) Family Guy (1999-present)
14) Battlestar Galactica (2003-present)*
13) Mystery Science Theater 3000 (1989-1999)
12) Pee-Wee's Playhouse (1986-1991)
11) Jericho (2006-present)*

10) Xena: Warrior Princess (1995-2001)
9) Twilight Zone (1959-1964)
8) The Simpsons (1989-present)
7) The Prisoner (1967-1968)
6) Monty Python's Flying Circus (1969-1974)
5) Lost (2004-present)*
4) Farscape (1999-2003)
3) Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997-2003)
2) The X-Files (1993-2002)
1) Star Trek (1966-1969)

I've only got 9 of these complete series at home- and only the most recent of the Dr. Who's. Since we don't have cable or satellite, most of our TV watching happens in DVD form. Since we absolutely loved Buffy this year when we watched it for the first time, we are probably going to have to get the X Files, since they are one notch higher on the obsession scale. I've never seen even a single episode of that show. Weird, huh?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject: Re: TV Guide Names the Top Cult Shows Ever
Posted: Wed 18 Nov , 2009 10:51 pm

Just cuz nerds like a show and/or it's sci-fi fantasy doesn't make it a "cult" show. :suspicious:

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 18 Nov , 2009 11:32 pm

Now that is one really coooool list. Thanks Maria.

My personal faves in no real order

Mary Hartman Mary Hartman - I saw the first 30 episodes recently and it is still a great show
Twin Peaks - love than dancing midget... er ... little person
Quantum Leap - boy do I miss that show
Beauty and the Beast --- I would give my right arm.... okay - left arm - for Linda Hamilton as she was in that show
Pee Wee's Playhouse - inspired madness
Twilight Zone - the granddaddy of them all and still among the best when it was good--- which was often..... To Serve Man anyone????

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
laureanna
Posted: Thu 19 Nov , 2009 4:10 am
Triathlete

Just because I've watched 9 of them casually plus 10 pretty obsessively, does not make me a cultist!

SG-1 is severely underrated. I demand a recount!

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Thu 19 Nov , 2009 8:26 am
The best things in life are not things

The only shows I watched compulsively from that list would be

Dr Who - natch, being British I've grown up with The Doctor!
Quantum Leap - I was in love with Scott Bakula for ages :love:
Babylon 5 - like Pearly Di I was a huge fan of the show at the time and loved the Delenn/Sheridan storyline - "Sleeping in Light" episode was just wonderful - echoes of Aragorn & Arwen...
X-Files - always good to watch
Star Trek - I think I must have sat through every single episode of every incarnation, since my husband is a big fan

Some of the others I dipped in and out of, like Ab Fab, The Avengers, Buffy, Beauty and the Beast, Xena, BSG & SG-1. Some of the rest were before my time! And others just never appealed!

Last edited by nienna on Thu 19 Nov , 2009 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 19 Nov , 2009 12:12 pm
Aspiring to heresy

The first few seasons of X-files were good. Then it got more and more embarrassing, as they tried to extend it far beyond its natural length.

(my opinion only :oops: )

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 19 Nov , 2009 3:24 pm

Well, out of the list I've seen:

28) Stargate SG-1 (1997-2007)* Hooray! I love this show, except for the last couple of Fargate seasons. I couldn't believe how badly they underutilized Ben Browder and Claudia Black. They were SO good in Farscape, it was painful to see them in such inferior roles. I also liked Stargate Atlantis, except for the last season- which I still haven't finished because it's close to painful to watch. :roll:

25) Firefly (2002-2003)* I LOVED Firefly. It was my introduction to Joss Whedon, and I couldn't watch it enough. I wonder, though, now that I've seen Buffy and Angel-- Did the fact that half the crew of Serenity had previously appeared as really nasty villians on Buffy and Angel affect the Buffy fan reception of Firefly? I know I'll never see Mal the same way since seeing him as Caleb. *shudder*

23) Dark Shadows (1966-1971) I have really vague memories of seeing this broadcast as a small child. I looked up the description, though, and it sounds interesting.

22) Doctor Who (1963-present) I've only seen Drs. 9 & 10, but I love those. :)

19) Quantum Leap (1989-1993) I liked it when it was on- but I'm not sure I could take it after seeing Bakula in "Enterprise". I grew to hate him there. :(

16) Babylon 5 (1994-1998) Perfect! Except for Season 5, of course.... and I loved all the LOTR references.

14) Battlestar Galactica (2003-present)* We have both the old and new versions of this. Both are barely tolerable for different reasons. The older one for it's cheesiness, the new one for it's soap operaness.

13) Mystery Science Theater 3000 (1989-1999) I've never seen this, but Lali likes it, so I'm curious enough to try it some day.

10) Xena: Warrior Princess (1995-2001) I've seen a couple of episodes of this, and liked it enough that we'll probably get the whole set someday. We tend to get DVD sets for big occasions like birthdays and anniversaries.....

9) Twilight Zone (1959-1964) I've sat through a few marathons of this back when we had satellite. I wouldn't get the DVDs, though.

8) The Simpsons (1989-present) We saw enough of these when it was broadcast that I wouldn't get the DVDs.

6) Monty Python's Flying Circus (1969-1974) My husband picked this up, and while some of it is funny, I get the feeling I'm not getting half the jokes, because half the time they seem to be making fun of something contemporary to that time that I've never heard of.

5) Lost (2004-present)* My husband is into this. I dropped out in season 3. It's one of the shows he watches when I don't feel like watching TV.

4) Farscape (1999-2003) Hooray for Farscape! Not a thing wrong with it. Great story telling, great special effects. :)

3) Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997-2003) I just got into this a couple of months ago. It was absolutely great! I never thought I'd like something with such a silly premise, but it's a seriously addictive show. I just got done with all 7 seasons and am running through them all again. And I've ordered the comic books that comprise season 8. I can't get enough of the Buffyverse. :)

2) The X-Files (1993-2002) I guess I need to try these, if they have more of a fan base than Buffy! :Q

1) Star Trek (1966-1969) One of my earliest memories is of a Star Trek TOS episode. :shock: For years when I was a teen we didn't even have a TV, so I also have all the novelizations of the TOS episodes. And now, of course, we have all the DVDs of all the Star Trek series, except for "Enterprise". (That must have happened in an alternate reality that I don't want to know about.) And we just picked up the new StarTrek movie yesterday, in the special Target packaging. :D My husband put the model together in about 2 minutes. The DVDs fit in the saucer section. :LMAO:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Posted: Thu 19 Nov , 2009 6:08 pm
Another bright red day

Quote:
I wonder, though, now that I've seen Buffy and Angel-- Did the fact that half the crew of Serenity had previously appeared as really nasty villians on Buffy and Angel affect the Buffy fan reception of Firefly? I know I'll never see Mal the same way since seeing him as Caleb. *shudder*
Actually, I believe they were concurrent. Nathan Fillion didn't guest in Buffy until the end of Season 7 and Gina Torres did her stint on Angel at the end of Season 4, both in 2003, well after Firefly had premiered (and been cancelled :( ). And Adam Baldwin didn't show up until Season 5, by which time Firefly was rising from its grave for its afterlife on DVD.

Actually, I'm surprised Firefly is so far down on the list considering the, erm, enthusiasm of its fans.

Lost is no surprise though, and I'm definitely a member of that cult, along with Firefly, Buffy, and the new BSG, of which I only have Season 4.5 left. The library is holding out on me, though.

I've only seen bits of Doctor Who (and loved all of it), hoping to get my hands on complete seasons soon. Ditto for Flying Circus and Star Trek, except I haven't actually seen the latter show since I was 10.

Quantum Leap I've only seen a bit of, too, but I loved it as a kid.

To the Twilight Zone, I say yes. My favourite part of New Year's every year is curling up with some Chinese food (because that's what Jews do) and watching the marathon on SyFy, which invaribaly leaves me slightly on edge in the best way.

I'm of the age group that is supposed to love Family Guy but I never got it. One of my roommates watched it all the time and I had cast members who quoted it at each other constantly, but it just doesn't seem the funny. I think the cartoon format also doesn't appeal to me very much.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 19 Nov , 2009 7:28 pm

Hey, you are right! :D I'd assumed it was the other way around, but Firefly was aired before Buffy, Season Seven, and the Angel seasons where Gina Torres and Adam Baldwin appeared. Cool.

I didn't see any of them as they aired, so I was kinda clueless.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Axordil
Posted: Mon 23 Nov , 2009 2:40 am
Not so deep as a well

I have a hard time thinking of The Simpsons as a cult show after TWENTY FRICKIN' SEASONS ON A US BROADCAST NETWORK.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Elian
Posted: Mon 23 Nov , 2009 5:00 am
Let the dice fly.

Quote:
I have a hard time thinking of The Simpsons as a cult show after TWENTY FRICKIN' SEASONS ON A US BROADCAST NETWORK.
Agreed.

Also, while Family Guy might have qualified before it got canceled the first time, I'm not sure it really would anymore.

(Yes, I do realize the list is a few years old. But come on, The Simpsons should never have qualified as a cult show!!)
Quote:
The first few seasons of X-files were good. Then it got more and more embarrassing, as they tried to extend it far beyond its natural length.
Only seasons 8 and 9 (which, like any true X-phile, I refuse to acknowledge as existing!) are really unwatchably bad. 1-6 are pretty consistently good...well okay, 2-6 are good, the first season is spotty but enjoyable for the nostalgia factor. Season 7 is iffy but not too terrible for the most part. I do agree they should have ended it there though.

What does it take
to stop getting carried away
by the force of my love...

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Tue 24 Nov , 2009 6:37 am
Daydream Believer

I have to think at some point The Big Bang Theory is going to make the list.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Tue 24 Nov , 2009 7:19 pm
Best friends forever

I tried to watch X-Files once. It was so awful I gave up.

We watched the original Star Trek when it first aired and loved it. But in those days we only got 3 channels.

;)

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 21 Dec , 2009 8:17 pm

We've started watching "Dark Shadows" and it's kind of interesting once you get used to the much slower pace. It's really more like watching a play than today's TV shows. We are only 5 shows in and I can't help wondering how long it's going to take the characters to realize the new guy is a vampire????? Probably another 10 or 20 episodes, at the rate it's going. Each episode is only half an hour long, though, so the slow pace doesn't drive us nuts.

It is kind of fun when the child actor messes up his lines, recovers, and we realize that this episode must have been one they had to broadcast live! :shock: What a concept. :nono:

The Hercules and Xena series are my husband's and my Christmas gifts to each other this year. We haven't quite come to an agreement yet over who gets who.... It's kind of silly either way. Does he get Xena as eye candy? Or do I because I can identify with her? :scratch: ;) And vice versa with Hercules.... :whistle: ;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment”
Jump to: